RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Hopefully in a grouping that has returned to the correct number!

Yes indeed. The reduction necessitated by Covid is now well in the past and it used to be the case that numerous RBS Upper School students were either cast or acting as covers.

The stage looks silly when it is as poorly populated as it continued to be last season - huge gaps in place of magical flurries.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Hopefully in a grouping that has returned to the correct number!

I would love a proper snowstorm back too, not just the soft fluttering.

However, I have heard from a reliable source that the reduced number of snowflakes has been approved by Sir Peter Wright (not just as a Covid measure) and that they will keep that to account for injuries and sickness 😢  Let's hope that the powers that be realise that a proper blizzard is so much more fun to watch and at some point return to the waltz's original number of snowflakes

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Silke H said:

However, I have heard from a reliable source that the reduced number of snowflakes has been approved by Sir Peter Wright (not just as a Covid measure) and that they will keep that to account for injuries and sickness 😢  Let's hope that the powers that be realise that a proper blizzard is so much more fun to watch and at some point return to the waltz's original number of snowflakes

I haven't seen the Nutcracker for years.  How many snowflakes were there, and how many are there now?  And who were the lead dancers in the clip above?  Didn't recognise them.

5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I haven't seen the Nutcracker for years.  How many snowflakes were there, and how many are there now?  And who were the lead dancers in the clip above?  Didn't recognise them.

The Royal Ballet performs the Waltz of the Snowflakes in The Nutcracker, with Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Clara, Ricardo Cervera as the Nutcracker and Gary Avis as Drosselmeyer, recorded in 2012.

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The Royal Ballet performs the Waltz of the Snowflakes in The Nutcracker, with Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Clara, Ricardo Cervera as the Nutcracker and Gary Avis as Drosselmeyer, recorded in 2012.

I thought it was Ricardo Cervera, but I wasn't sure.  

Also, how do people feel about smiley snowflakes?  I've always associated snow with freezing cold, not sunny warmth!

• Like 1

I love the RB's friendly, smiley snowflakes.  As @LinMM said, they are magical.  Plus, they are paving the way for Clara and Hans-Peter to get to the Kingdom of Sweets.  And if that isn't something to smile about then I don't know what is 😃

Edited by Silke H
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Silke H said:

I would also love the full complement to be back.  In years gone by they didn't feel the need to reduce the number 'in case of injury or illness', so why now?  After all, colds and flu have always been around, even if Covid hasn't.  Dancers have always had injuries.  So come on ROH, don't be all 'snowflakey' about it....bring our swirling snowflakes back in full.  Please.  The gaps are really noticeable on that big stage.

Regarding smiley snowflakes....yes, snow is cold and associated with dark winter days, but it can also be associated with the sparkle of sun on the freshly fallen snow that makes it twinkle, and that always makes me smile.  And...these snowflakes are happy because they are welcoming Clara and Hans-Peter to the land of the SPF.  So yes, smile on, snowflakes!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

if we get a new climate change Nutcracker

I reckon then that midway through the first act the tree in the back should loose all its needles because it's too hot and dry. So Clara decides to go on a journey to tell all the land of Sweets characters about the dangers of global warming. The sugar plum fairy and cavalier in this new version represent our capitalist overlords who do not heed her warnings, so at the end she returns home disillusioned to a dead Christmas tree. 

• Like 8

Just now, MoVR said:

I reckon then that midway through the first act the tree in the back should loose all its needles because it's too hot and dry. So Clara decides to go on a journey to tell all the land of Sweets characters about the dangers of global warming. The sugar plum fairy and cavalier in this new version represent our capitalist overlords who do not heed her warnings, so at the end she returns home disillusioned to a dead Christmas tree. 

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we get something along those lines!!  :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MoVR said:

Accompanied by a single snowflake that dies dramatically in front of the tree.....

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Accompanied by a single snowflake that dies dramatically in front of the tree.....

Yes. Lemme just put that in the script real quick...

Any ideas on how Hans Peter might fit into this version? Or do we leave him out entirely to also make it into a feminist critique in which she don't need no man to save the world?

Just kidding ofc :))

• Like 5

• Sim changed the title to RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24
4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I sadly will be watching from home as I have a chest infection and can't go (my continuous coughing would not be fair on the audience) :( I hope those going enjoy it :) 

Sorry to hear you're unwell, Linnzi.  I hope you're feeling better very soon.  Hopefully the insight will help you on your way to recovery!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I sadly will be watching from home as I have a chest infection and can't go (my continuous coughing would not be fair on the audience) :( I hope those going enjoy it :) 

Hope you feel better soon! (Maybe it was your ticket I snapped up!). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Sorry to hear you're unwell, Linnzi.  I hope you're feeling better very soon.  Hopefully the insight will help you on your way to recovery!  :)

Thanks, Sim. I struggled through Dante on Saturday (not because I didn't like the dancing - I really was in awe of the dancers) and can't stop coughing. I am very much looking forward to the insight :) 

Oh dear, watching the Insight livestream makes me want to go & book tickets for a dozen Nutcrackers! Which I certainly can't afford to do. I was already hoping to be able to catch Marianna Tsembenhoi in January & I now really want to see Giacomo Rovero as well but unfortunately his only public performance is the week when I have no trains. I wonder if Aidan O'Brian could be replacing Bennet Gartside, as Gartside has been missing so far this season. If so then I'll get to see him. I'm now going to be back to checking the ROH website daily for possible Nutcracker cast change announcements.

Also it feels as though Gary Avis could narrate & perform an entire one-man Nutcracker, as he seems to know every moment of the choreography for every single character!

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think Benn had an operation on his shoulder. It was on his IG page.

Perhaps he needs more time to recover as all that cape swirling probably wouldn't be good for the shoulders. I did think when the casting was announced that only 3 Drosselmeyers for the entire run might be cutting things a bit tight in terms of not allowing for injuries or seasonal illnesses.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Also it feels as though Gary Avis could narrate & perform an entire one-man Nutcracker, as he seems to know every moment of the choreography for every single character!

I like the sound of this, I’d definitely go - you can’t have enough Gary Avis to my mind.  It could be the ballet equivalent of Andrew Scott’s one man (Uncle) Vanya.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think Benn had an operation on his shoulder. It was on his IG page.

Yes I do his ballet classes when I'm in London and he's been signed off from performing for a while to recover.  

Also I'd love to see a Gary Avis one man Nutcracker.  I could watch him do anything.  He's so interesting and funny.  

I thought Aidan was really enjoying himself as Drosselmeyer.  I also love watching Marianna Tsembenhoi.  She always looks like she's having such a good time.  

• Like 6

Get better soon Linnzi5 sorry we didn’t get to meet up tonight but hopefully soon. 
I really enjoyed this insight but Gary is a natural so very easy to listen to amazing to have somebody like him as a coach. 
I loved Marianna and Giocomo together they really suited each other I thought. 
Loved the magic trick with the scarf which turned into a cane….. I wanted to ask Aidan to do it again!! 
Also had no idea the regular RB pianist played the Celeste for the sugar plum fairy dance in the ballet …..so talented. 
Can’t wait till the 19th Dec now my first Nutcracker trip this year. 

• Like 5