RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

To our surprise , we were not the only customers this evening at the Vue, Dagenham… there were at least 8 others there. Usually no-one else is watching the ballet . We thoroughly enjoyed the performance especially the close up ‘seats’ . I really appreciated being able to see all the acting and party details in Act 1 . 

(Have a ticket for the side amphitheatre half way up next week. It will be interesting to compare the different views. )

Dagenham isn’t our nearest cinema but as it’s a modern multiplex, it offers plenty of well lit parking right near to the entrance and everything is on the level . This means that I can take my mother whose mobility is increasingly  limited these days .
Our local cinema, a 30s building, always shows the RB relays in its smallest screen - up 4 fairly steepish flights of stairs.  The nearest parking is on the street round several corners & down the hill. So no choice really even though more people attend. 

• Like 6

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

It sounds like everyone else didn't have any technical hitches? Unfortunately the cinema where I was watching lost the picture during the Waltz of the Flowers & it didn't return until near the end of the first part of the grand pas. We still had the sound, which was arguably more frustrating than if both had gone.

So sorry to hear this, Dawnstar. We just lost sound for about a second two or three times, so really not a problem.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

It sounds like everyone else didn't have any technical hitches? Unfortunately the cinema where I was watching lost the picture during the Waltz of the Flowers & it didn't return until near the end of the first part of the grand pas. We still had the sound, which was arguably more frustrating than if both had gone.

Oh no! That is just about the worst timing. I am so sorry. We didn’t have any technical issues though I did think the lighting on the relay screen was a bit dark at times. 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DelphiumBlue said:

Our local cinema, a 30s building, always shows the RB relays in its smallest screen - up 4 fairly steepish flights of stairs.  The nearest parking is on the street round several corners & down the hill. So no choice really even though more people attend. 

That really is poor for this day and age.  Ours (my fallback only when absolutely necessary) used to use one of the upstairs screens, but now is resolutely downstairs, despite the fact that none of the screens down there are really well suited to live broadcasts.

I was particularly impressed by the turnout at the cinema I did go to, especially since I'd received no communication about the relay from the ROH, which I suppose means that others hadn't either.

We did have 2 or 3 brief losses of (or very quiet) audio during the to-camera bits, but I rather had the impression that was a technical issue at the ROH rather than one local to our cinema.

• Like 1

I thought that Sophie Allnatt and Leo Dixon made for a very engaging Clara and Hans Peter last night, with some beautiful dancing from both and a lovely, natural connection between them which was very convincing and took us (or me anyway!) on the magical journey with them. 

Leo Dixon has lovely classical lines and light, precise jumps, while Sophie Allnatt's dancing was fluid, delicate and seemed, to my eyes anyway, technically assured.  David Donnelly did a great job as the Mouse King, but then I always enjoy watching him no matter what he's dancing!

Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambe danced with with sugar-spun poise and authority as the Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince - their trust and ease with each other shone through all the time they were on stage and I loved every moment of their performance - it felt like a Christmas gift to the audience as I think I remember Lesley Collier saying when coaching Francesca Hayward in the role a few years ago - very apt.

I thought the whole cast, as well as the orchestra, fantastic, and loved seeing the full number of snowflakes back on stage.  As usual the interviews and clips were interesting, though Darcey's presenting isn't always the smoothest but she is very charming and gives so many little insights. It was interesting to see her coaching O'Sullivan and Sambe as SPF and Prince. She seems a sympathetic but exacting coach and the performances they delivered repaid her in spades.

The sound faltered a few times, but managed to get back on track and I'm so glad it did as I won't be able to see the Nutcracker at the ROH this year, or anywhere else for that matter!  Thank you to all the very talented people who contributed on and off stage, it was a lovely evening.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

Fantasy cast, from current dancers: Sugar Plums: Nunez/Muntagirov; Clara/Hans Peter: Hayward/Campbell; Drosselmeyer: Avis; Rose Fairy: Kaneko.

Most definitely, and I would add to that Arabian: Hamilton & Brændsrød 

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 5

Full capacity in Rye and the only glitches some sound issues at the very beginning and during the spoken introduction to Act 2. Greatly enjoyed seeing the interview with Johanna Adams Farley and felt an opportunity missed by not speaking with Andrew Litton to get his perspective on The Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker from his position at New York City Ballet. The orchestra certainly sounded superb in Tchaikovsky’s ever glorious score.

I’m not really a Nutcracker aficionado (I have seen it once ‘live’ in 35 years and that was only because I sensed the clock ticking on Laura Morera’s career and didn’t want to miss seeing her dance), so perhaps not best based to comment, but I didn’t come away thinking I’d seen a vintage cast.

I very much liked Sophie Allnatt and Leo Dixon, she wide-eyed with excitement, he dashing and ardent, both dancing cleanly, musically and with easily responsive musicality; and I enjoyed Thomas Whitehead, who seemed a more sinister Drosselmeyer, perhaps akin to the spirit of E. T. A. Hoffmann’s original tale, than I might have anticipated (not much glitter, which I imagine is Gary Avis’ prerogative). However, much as I usually like her, Isabella Gasparini seemed rather light weight as The Rose Fairy (it’s good to see her being given more ‘mature’ roles, but I wasn’t convinced this was the best fit for her); and I wasn’t convinced by Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé. Perhaps it was the camera angle, but she seemed too tall for him when on pointe (the long supported pirouette at the end of the Pas de deux seemed particularly uncomfortable) and whilst I enjoy his easy virtuosity, I agree with Linnzi5 that he doesn’t convince as a danseur noble.

However, I enjoyed his Romeo in cinema and thought his Rudolf really fine and see no reason why every dancer should be successful in every role they dance. As for Anna-Rose O’Sullivan, I think her technically accomplished and, obviously, musical, but she doesn’t touch me at all as a dancer. This is, of course, a personal response.

She did speak beautifully in her VTR about not just the challenges but the responsibilities of dancing this role. However, in the same VTR Sambé seemed to hint at the darkness behind the music at this point (it was one of those moments when the sound faltered) and I didn’t sense that glow and abandonment to the moment that can be seen in last year’s broadcast with Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell, now available on the ROH stream so that one can make the inevitable “odorous” comparisons.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

(Funny seeing the beautiful snowflakes stomping off backstage in the interval! Not that they really stomp, of course; but a combination of pointe shoes and turn-out does lead to a rather amusing walking style...).

Oh no! I really don't want to see that...another reason I skoot out in the intervals.. I hate seeing the magic broken!

• Like 1

So glad to hear others were able to enjoy a largely incident free broadcast. We went to Cineworld in High Wycombe for the first time but never again!

we were told on entry that the picture was not ‘ quite right’ and we could have a refund. Having driven a long way we thought we would try it 😂😂😠

Not quite right was hardly the description. The picture was elongated and squashed. Very like those mirrors you have in fun fairs making you look short and fat. Darcy B was as wide as she was high😠

We lasted 10 minutes then opted for a refund

Avoid this cinema at all costs for live relays

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DoctorDerry said:

So glad to hear others were able to enjoy a largely incident free broadcast. We went to Cineworld in High Wycombe for the first time but never again!

we were told on entry that the picture was not ‘ quite right’ and we could have a refund. Having driven a long way we thought we would try it 😂😂😠

Not quite right was hardly the description. The picture was elongated and squashed. Very like those mirrors you have in fun fairs making you look short and fat. Darcy B was as wide as she was high😠

We lasted 10 minutes then opted for a refund

Avoid this cinema at all costs for live relays

Oh dear! That must have been so disappointing. I hope you can find a better venue for the next one, DoctorDerry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

Full house tonight at the Curzon in Wimbledon. I thought it was an excellent performance and I really enjoyed the interviews etc. (Funny seeing the beautiful snowflakes stomping off backstage in the interval! Not that they really stomp, of course; but a combination of pointe shoes and turn-out does lead to a rather amusing walking style...).

Fantasy cast, from current dancers: Sugar Plums: Nunez/Muntagirov; Clara/Hans Peter: Hayward/Campbell; Drosselmeyer: Avis; Rose Fairy: Kaneko.

I think Marianela refers to that walk as her "ballerina waddle"!

• Like 2

Epsom cinema was pretty full and an almost seamless broadcast. All good except for the few who insisted on talking right through the intros and every time there was the shortest break in the dancing…

Weren’t Sophie Allnatt and Leo Dixon gorgeous? Had something of the freshness and youthful joy that I recall from Campbell/Hayward some years back now. His promise has been obvious for a while but I hadn’t seen her in a major role before and am sure she has a great future.

Even if Gary Avis remains the gold standard Drosselmeyer I enjoyed and was touched by Thomas Whitehead’s interpretation and he’s a beautifully competent cape-swirler.

Particularly enjoyed the Arabian and Chinese pairings.

Nice to see Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé’s progress from Clara/Hans-Peter before their promotions to the principal roles this time. Even if agreeing with some of the previous comments I felt they did pretty well and the precision and neatness of her approach and his ease and fluidity had an appeal of their own.

Not a ballet I’d nowadays pay theatre prices to see but good value as a cinema treat.

• Like 10

I'm in Liverpool for business so I went to the Odeon in the city centre. I don't think the audience was double figures which was a shame.  Excellent picture / production though, so no complaints there. 

As ever I loved this ballet and just let the music and the spectacle flow over me. Gorgeous. 

Picking up on the point of the character acting catching the eye, I saw Gary Avis as the father last Saturday and found I couldn't take my eyes off him.  What is it about that man!  Instead of orchestrating the whole show as Drosselmeyer, he orchestrated the party instead. There was so much going on!  I've found this before when I've seen him - the Count in Giselle who I normally ignore, suddenly I was glued to his next eye movement and gesture. Extraordinary ability.    

• Like 11

I didn’t come away from the cinema relay feeling “that was glorious, I’m ready for Christmas” and I can’t really put my finger on why.  There were so many beautiful parts! 

The snowflakes and the floating angels are just sublime.  

Of the 5 main roles, Leo Dixon’s nephew was the highlight for me.  Beautiful lines and technique, supportive and calm throughout.  Nice connection too with Sophie Allnatt’s Clara, though she was a bit brittle at the start.   Other Clara’s have managed to find more time and softness in the choreo for Act 1.  I noticed a change to more fluidity by the awakening duet and Act 2.  I like Thomas Whitehead’s Drosselmeier, nicely done without constantly stealing the limelight. 

I don’t know what happened to Marci Sambe … his coda was superb with beautiful soaring assembles landing in soft plies, but his double tours en manege in his solo were a mess (by comparison).  Heavy untidy landings and off-balance. 🤷🏼‍♀️  

The sugar plum duo did a fine job of their pdd and partnering, as did AROS of her solo.  No sign of stamina running out! 

I loved the interval clip of their rehearsal with Darcey Bussell.

I also enjoyed many of the other soloist roles … all the Act 1 dolls were drilled to perfection.  I adored the huge grins and supported wheeling turns of the Chinese duo … Stanislaw Wegrzyn and Francisco Serrano.  And the change of tempo to the lyrical Arabian is always a winner.  Good job by Olivia Cowley and Lukas BB.  Aidan O’Brien always catches my eye, and not only because he is tall.  This time it was his postures and musicality in the Spanish.  I may have to sneak back to London for his Drosselmeier. 

My daughter commented on the awkward presenting.  She said any of her fellow students in the music scene at university could do better.  I’ve no doubt they could!  I had forgotten how I just tolerate it.

Good choices for different backstage locations for the presenting.  And really super to see the stage manager in her work, even if the questioning was kindergarten level.  

I forgot to mention Isabella Gasparini!  Such a lovely sparkly and accomplished Rose Fairy.  Bravo 👏👏👏

Edited by FionaM
Add last paragraph
  • Like 6

Our screen was full last night, which is a first since pre-Covid.  I loved seeing the full cohort of snowflakes, but I do wish we’d been able to watch them from a slightly higher viewpoint.  

Some really beautiful dancing; I was particularly impressed with Leo Dixon, and thought his partnership with Sophie Allnatt was promising.  

I’m always delighted to see Isabella Gasparini and thought she was joyous as Rose Fairy.  

I do wish people would give Darcey a break; yes, she struggles with the autocue sometimes (isn’t she dyslexic?) but Petroc (which autocorrects as “Petrochemical on my iPad 😂) Trelawney’s smooth delivery is a good backup for her.  It’s always nice to see her chatting with Kevin O’Hare, Gary Avis et al, and particularly lovely to see clips of her coaching, where - in her natural environment - she is free to be eloquent and energetic.

Did I miss it, or was there no glitter fall from above during the transformation scene?

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Full capacity in Rye and the only glitches some sound issues at the very beginning and during the spoken introduction to Act 2. Greatly enjoyed seeing the interview with Johanna Adams Farley and felt an opportunity missed by not speaking with Andrew Litton to get his perspective on The Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker from his position at New York City Ballet. The orchestra certainly sounded superb in Tchaikovsky’s ever glorious score.

I’m not really a Nutcracker aficionado (I have seen it once ‘live’ in 35 years and that was only because I sensed the clock ticking on Laura Morera’s career and didn’t want to miss seeing her dance), so perhaps not best based to comment, but I didn’t come away thinking I’d seen a vintage cast.

I very much liked Sophie Allnatt and Leo Dixon, she wide-eyed with excitement, he dashing and ardent, both dancing cleanly, musically and with easily responsive musicality; and I enjoyed Thomas Whitehead, who seemed a more sinister Drosselmeyer, perhaps akin to the spirit of E. T. A. Hoffmann’s original tale, than I might have anticipated (not much glitter, which I imagine is Gary Avis’ prerogative). However, much as I usually like her, Isabella Gasparini seemed rather light weight as The Rose Fairy (it’s good to see her being given more ‘mature’ roles, but I wasn’t convinced this was the best fit for her); and I wasn’t convinced by Anna-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé. Perhaps it was the camera angle, but she seemed too tall for him when on pointe (the long supported pirouette at the end of the Pas de deux seemed particularly uncomfortable) and whilst I enjoy his easy virtuosity, I agree with Linnzi5 that he doesn’t convince as a danseur noble.

However, I enjoyed his Romeo in cinema and thought his Rudolf really fine and see no reason why every dancer should be successful in every role they dance. As for Anna-Rose O’Sullivan, I think her technically accomplished and, obviously, musical, but she doesn’t touch me at all as a dancer. This is, of course, a personal response.

She did speak beautifully in her VTR about not just the challenges but the responsibilities of dancing this role. However, in the same VTR Sambé seemed to hint at the darkness behind the music at this point (it was one of those moments when the sound faltered) and I didn’t sense that glow and abandonment to the moment that can be seen in last year’s broadcast with Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell, now available on the ROH stream so that one can make the inevitable “odorous” comparisons.

I found Drosselmeyer rather bland for me, absolutely love Gary Avis in that role. Otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it and we were well attended at the local cinema with no technical problems. Nice start to Christmas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

Picking up on the point of the character acting catching the eye, I saw Gary Avis as the father last Saturday and found I couldn't take my eyes off him.  What is it about that man!  Instead of orchestrating the whole show as Drosselmeyer, he orchestrated the party instead. There was so much going on!

Yes, I also felt this on Saturday: every little gesture, exasperated shrug, sweep of the hand … And Fumi and Will were absolutely magical on Saturday too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

I

Of the 5 main roles, Leo Dixon’s nephew was the highlight for me.  Beautiful lines and technique, supportive and calm throughout. 👏

I love Leo Dixon although sadly I won't get to see his nephew this year. I know I'm in danger of repeating myself but I just don't understand why he hasn't been given an opportunity to dance the Prince or Lescaut in Manon. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Side note: Any takers for a ‘fantasy nutcracker’ thread - a bit like fantasy football but the ballet version where one can describe their fantasy Nutcracker cast? I only have a very short ballet watching career, but Mine would definitely involve Gary Avis as Drosselmeyer, Isabella Gasparini or Francesca Hayward as Clara, I’d love to see Joonhyuk Jun as Hans Peter and Marianela Nunez as SPF.

Oh this is fun!

I don't think there could be anyone by Avis as Drosselmeyer, he has completely made that role his own so that sadly I find anyone else somewhat lacking in the magic of Christmas

SPF would have to be Marianela Nunez and her prince Vadim, even though I saw beautiful Fumi and Will and they're right up there, I still think these two are the gold standard

Clara, Anna-Rose or Isabella Gasparini, I might just slightly lean more to Isabella, I adore watching her

Hans-Peter I'd go for Leo Dixon

Rose Fairy Magri, I think it's a role that just sits perfectly on her

Just to add in, I think any fantasy Nutcracker would have to include Melissa Hamilton in the Arabian because she's really made that her own too

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, annamk said:

I love Leo Dixon although sadly I won't get to see his nephew this year. I know I'm in danger of repeating myself but I just don't understand why he hasn't been given an opportunity to dance the Prince or Lescaut in Manon. 

He's on his way.........!!!!! 😊 And his recent, very varied performances can have done nothing but help his steady rise.

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, annamk said:

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

He's on his way.........!!!!! 😊 And his recent, very varied performances can have done nothing but help his steady rise.

I’m very much with both of you here, and I know that I’m repeating myself too, but he really is one of those rare dancers who always brings much more than just technique to whatever role he is given. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Henry said:

Just had a quick look through the cast sheets.  Is Lukas B. Brændsrød always/ only doing the Arabian/ Coffee dance?  

Lukas BB has danced with Melissa Hamilton and Olivia Cowley.

Harry Churches has danced with Hannah Grennell.

I believe that Harris Bell has been rehearsing the role. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Witney Cineworld was also at full capacity, and The Nutcracker was moved to a larger screen to accommodate the 200 to 300 people wishing for tickets. Excellent sound quality and some of the camera angles were different to usual and welcome.

i loved seeing Leo Dixon and Sophie Allnatt, both full of wonder and excitement at what was happening …..and beautiful dancing too. There’ something about Anna Rose’s arms that spoil her performances for me but perhaps that’s seeing her in close-up rather than on a stage.

Having seen BRB’s Nutcracker for the first time this year I’m enjoying thinking about what I like from each production. On balance I think I prefer the RB one because of the prologue and epilogue and the extra narrative this adds to the ballet and also the way Clara and Peter dance throughout Act 2. For BRB Clara’s arrival in Act 2 on a snow goose is pretty special though, and the snowflakes with the winds, so I might have to return to Birmingham next year to check it out.

Has the old servant in Act 1 been retired? I missed him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

I do wish people would give Darcey a break; yes, she struggles with the autocue sometimes (isn’t she dyslexic?)

Yes she is dyslexic. I feel for her! You can tell she is way more comfortable when she doesn't have to read from the teleprompter. It's a shame that there's no (apparent) alternative that's more accessible.

• Like 3

I might be in the minority but I was surprised by how much I loved Thomas Whitehead's Drosselmeyer. I felt the love for his nephew was so apparent and so touching, and his desperation in Act One paid off so beautifully once Clara and Hans-Peter were united in the snow scene...I felt how much he adored them both. Maybe that interpretation that was supported by his interview clip at the beginning of the relay

• Like 5

2 hours ago, academicdancer said:

Yes she is dyslexic. I feel for her! You can tell she is way more comfortable when she doesn't have to read from the teleprompter. It's a shame that there's no (apparent) alternative that's more accessible.

Yes.  I have noticed this. I think she does a great job, especially when considering that she is dyslexic.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, offmenu said:

I might be in the minority but I was surprised by how much I loved Thomas Whitehead's Drosselmeyer. I felt the love for his nephew was so apparent and so touching, and his desperation in Act One paid off so beautifully once Clara and Hans-Peter were united in the snow scene...I felt how much he adored them both. Maybe that interpretation that was supported by his interview clip at the beginning of the relay

I liked him very much - and generally like him in all roles. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, offmenu said:

I liked his portrayal too.  Nobody will ever beat Gary Avis’s Drosselmeyer for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by Thomas Whitehead.

• Like 5