RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, LinMM said:

Oh dear I hope he’s not injured Id booked to see the cast for the 21st matinee which Joe Sissens was down for. 
As it happens though unfortunately there’ll be no Nutcrackers for me this year as am waiting for an Op. on my wrist which I broke falling down a step earlier this week 😬😥
I’ve got two tickets one for 19th evening  ( Naghdi/Ball/ Pantuso/ Ikaraichi/ Avis and one for 21st matinee with Mayara/ Clarke/ Maeda/ Sissens/Avis They are both tickets in the Balcony in row D so not cheap!! 

Ive already mentioned the 21st in the ticket offer section as somebody had been asking for that afternoon. 
Will advertise formally tomorrow but because of proximity will have to consider returning to box office by Monday. 

So sorry to hear that LinMM- hope you get your operation very soon and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. On the plus side, I can at least definitely reassure you that there will be more Nutcrackers in subsequent seasons so you can see them even if you miss this year's.  Hope you are mended and on the mend very soon though!  💐 🍇 💪 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

We hope you are looking forward to seeing The Nutcracker at the Royal Opera House.

Please be aware that the following cast changes have been made:

18 December, 7.30pm and 22 December, 1.30pm

Valentino Zucchetti is replaced by Giacomo Rovero as Hans-Peter/The Nutcracker.

20 December, 12.30pm

Lauren Cuthbertson is replaced by Fumi Kaneko as the Sugar Plum Fairy.
Ashley Dean is replaced by Marianna Tsembenhoi as Clara.
Benjamin Ella is replaced by Joshua Junker as Hans-Peter/The Nutcracker.

23 December, 12.30pm

Lauren Cuthbertson is replaced by Fumi Kaneko as the Sugar Plum Fairy.
Ashley Dean is replaced by Sophie Allnatt as Clara.
Benjamin Ella is replaced by Leo Dixon as Hans-Peter/The Nutcracker.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

They really are racking up the cast changes for this run. That's now all 3 men replaced for 18th & 22nd mat (having been booked for the 18th since booking opened back in July, it's a bit like And Then There Were None watching them drop out one by one!) while for the 20th and 23rd matinees Bracewell is the only originally cast dancer left. I wonder if Cuthbertson's already injured so soon after returning or if she's just got some sort of seasonal lurgy. Zuchetti & Dean presumably are injured given he's been off since after the first Don Q & she vanished from Dante Project cast lists mid-run.

I'm pretty happy with the cast changes for the performances I'm booked for, now I just need to make sure I can actually see them. I wonder how an NHS doctor is going to respond if I tell them this evening that they have to sort out my blocked tearduct immediately because I have 2 Nutcrackers to see next week?!

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm pretty happy with the cast changes for the performances I'm booked for, now I just need to make sure I can actually see them. I wonder how an NHS doctor is going to respond if I tell them this evening that they have to sort out my blocked tearduct immediately because I have 2 Nutcrackers to see next week?!

They probably won't have heard that particular statement before!! You could always try explaining why it matters, maybe demonstrate a few significant moments whilst humming the music, etc. 😁

• Like 2

I am going 20th matinee and although I was really looking forward to seeing Lauren onstage for the first time since the first run of The Cellist I must admit that the prospect of seeing Will and Fumi dance together again after I was bemoaning that the 6th was going to be the last time for a while is very enticing for me (thank you, o ballet gods).  I was also going to miss seeing JJ as HP as the only other Nut I'm scheduled to see is the 27th, with Marianna dancing with Giacomo, so another unexpected delight, I'm sure.  Whatever has happened to the original cast members in all three performances, I hope they get better soon.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Sim said:

I was also going to miss seeing JJ as HP as the only other Nut I'm scheduled to see is the 27th, with Marianna dancing with Giacomo, so another unexpected delight, I'm sure.

I'm the other way around in that I can't make 27th so I thought I wasn't going to be able to see Rovero & am very pleased that I now (hopefully!) can. It also helps my dithering over which of 2 January Nutcracker casts to see as if I'm seeing Tsembenhoi & Junker next week then I can skip seeing them in January & go for Bailey & Boswell instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I am going 20th matinee and although I was really looking forward to seeing Lauren onstage for the first time since the first run of The Cellist I must admit that the prospect of seeing Will and Fumi dance together again after I was bemoaning that the 6th was going to be the last time for a while is very enticing for me (thank you, o ballet gods).  I was also going to miss seeing JJ as HP as the only other Nut I'm scheduled to see is the 27th, with Marianna dancing with Giacomo, so another unexpected delight, I'm sure.  Whatever has happened to the original cast members in all three performances, I hope they get better soon.

I am also seeing this performance and felt a bit bad about it momentarily but after seeing all the comments about them on here, I confess I was quite excited to see the replacements! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

If you’ve not seen Fumi Kaneko and Will Bracewell yet you are in for a real treat 🙂

I agree. I thought Nutcracker opening night this year was absolutely sublime. I am envious of those attending either of the dates. Alas, I am not free on either :( 

• Like 1

That's the main reason why I got a rush ticket for that performance. In the last couple of years I've seen at least one debut for each of the other 4 main roles but I have yet to see a Drosselmeyer debut & the Insight livestream the other week really made me want to see his.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Sim said:

No comments yet on Hayward/Campbell.  Anyone?  

It was a very enjoyable performance all round. Hayward and Campbell gave a lovely performance in the grand pdd and it was very hard to believe Acri had stepped in at the last minute! His partnering seemed very good, as if he’d rehearsed a lot with Sae Maeda and I loved the way he did the mime in the second act. Another highlight was Melissa Hamilton as the Rose Fairy and of course Gary Avis. 

It’s controversial of me, I know, but I am not the biggest fan of the Nutcracker - music apart - it brings out the grinch in me as there are certainly two or three ballets I would much rather see at this time of year. But I had a pleasant evening and was thankful to see it, since last year I had to return my tickets because of the rail strike and had failed utterly to pick up any others in the Friday rushes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

I urge all of you who are able to see the RB Nutcracker at the ROH, and those who, like me, watch it in the cinema every year, to watch the latest NYCB digital offering (in Ballet/Dance News & Information) as  it is a fascinating comparison of the Ivanov choreography for the adage (the RB version is largely Ivanov and many of you will know whether this  is also true of ENB & BRB) & Balanchine's. It is moderated by the erudite Alastair Macauley. If you only want to watch the Ivanov part it is roughly from 10 mins to 45. Unfortunately only available til tomorrow, Dec 17th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tattin said:

I urge all of you who are able to see the RB Nutcracker at the ROH, and those who, like me, watch it in the cinema every year, to watch the latest NYCB digital offering (in Ballet/Dance News & Information) as  it is a fascinating comparison of the Ivanov choreography for the adage (the RB version is largely Ivanov and many of you will know whether this  is also true of ENB & BRB) & Balanchine's. It is moderated by the erudite Alastair Macauley. If you only want to watch the Ivanov part it is roughly from 10 mins to 45. Unfortunately only available til tomorrow, Dec 17th.

From @myrtle 4 Dec post. Only available until tomorrow

Just in case anybody is looking I’ve just two mins ago returned my Nutcracker tickets to the Box Office for the 19th and the 21st Matinee seats should appear in the Balcony, 

Wow both tickets gone in 18 mins!! 

Edited by LinMM

A little bird told me that there is possibly no Nutcracker next year which is why I’m extra gutted to miss this year. 
Was also going to see Lauretta Summerscales in ENB version next week as well so very disappointed to have to miss her as well. 

Edited by LinMM

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

A little bird told me that there is possibly no Nutcracker next year which is why I’m extra gutted to miss this year. 

I hope so...Coppelia or Cinderella? 

I hope they combine Cinderella with a triple with Les Patineurs as one of the Pieces.
But as am just twiddling my thumbs  (well one thumb) here at the moment instead of in my usual Saturday class I’d better be careful not to take the thread idly off course! 
I think it’s all still supposed to be a secret but am not sure! 
Im not a Friend so perhaps has been hinted at in their programme thingy? 
Obviously can’t reveal my sources lol! 

No Nutcrackers today though. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Cinderella I think!! 

I think it was mentioned somewhere that they were bringing it back for Christmas 2024.  Obviously next year's season announcement will not be for a few more months, so it will have to be confirmed officially.  

• Like 1

They could always turn Cinderella into a seasonal ballet by putting a bit of tinsel up in the kitchen in act 1.  And/or  a magnificent Christmas tree in the garden in act 2.  After all, why shouldn't the ball be a festive one? :)

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

They could always turn Cinderella into a seasonal ballet by putting a bit of tinsel up in the kitchen in act 1.  And/or  a magnificent Christmas tree in the garden in act 2.  After all, why shouldn't the ball be a festive one? :)

Yes, at the moment the ball does look rather summery.   But it somehow the rest of it feels festive to me, what with the winter fairy, the glitter at the end, the lighting, etc.  

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, at the moment the ball does look rather summery.   But it somehow the rest of it feels festive to me, what with the winter fairy, the glitter at the end, the lighting, etc.  

and the panto...

Aw, I know I'll be in the minority but I'm a bit sad about that if it's true! Might it mean they're intending a revamp, this production is getting on a bit so might this be the last time we see it? It seems a bit of an odd financial decision as I believe it's the one production across both ballet and opera that is guaranteed to completely sell out, and at top dollar prices? If they're needing to keep prices so high as they are struggling, is it really sensible to get rid of their most profitable show?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ellyb said:

Aw, I know I'll be in the minority but I'm a bit sad about that if it's true! Might it mean they're intending a revamp, this production is getting on a bit so might this be the last time we see it? It seems a bit of an odd financial decision as I believe it's the one production across both ballet and opera that is guaranteed to completely sell out, and at top dollar prices? If they're needing to keep prices so high as they are struggling, is it really sensible to get rid of their most profitable show?

Fair point. The holidays may be the perfect time though as the ROH may need to recoup the (I suspect substantial) cost of Cinderella and the holidays are the one time of the year people may be willing to pay those higher prices.