RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

3 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I liked his portrayal too.  Nobody will ever beat Gary Avis’s Drosselmeyer for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by Thomas Whitehead.

So do I.  I haven't seen last night's show but when I saw TW as Dross last year I really liked his performance.  I found it thoughtful and he really conveyed the sadness of the character and his situation, and how much he wanted this all to work.  

• Like 11

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sim said:

So do I.  I haven't seen last night's show but when I saw TW as Dross last year I really liked his performance.  I found it thoughtful and he really conveyed the sadness of the character and his situation, and how much he wanted this all to work.  

Thomas Whitehead really does seem to get under the skin of his characters. I liked his recent Don Quixote/Gamache/Lorenzo turns too.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

Thomas Whitehead really does seem to get under the skin of his characters. I liked his recent Don Quixote/Gamache/Lorenzo turns too.

Yes.  Again, I found his DonQ very moving in an understated way.  He didn't overdo the madness and I found it utterly believable.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, capybara said:

22 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes.  Again, I found his DonQ very moving in an understated way.  He didn't overdo the madness and I found it utterly believable.

Totally agree with these statements.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Speaking of Drosselmeyer, didn’t Clara used to kiss him on the cheek after he’d mended Nutcracker?  That - and the missing glitter - struck me during last night’s live stream.

Yes she did….and the delight on Gary Avis’ face when she did so was always a joy to behold.   

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Speaking of Drosselmeyer, didn’t Clara used to kiss him on the cheek after he’d mended Nutcracker?  That - and the missing glitter - struck me during last night’s live stream.

I must admit, I didn't notice the glitter either. I didn't notice the kiss on the cheek one way or the other. I wasn't sure it was just the relay that didn't show them up - the screen was a little darker than I'd expect at times.

14 hours ago, DoctorDerry said:

So glad to hear others were able to enjoy a largely incident free broadcast. We went to Cineworld in High Wycombe for the first time but never again!

we were told on entry that the picture was not ‘ quite right’ and we could have a refund. Having driven a long way we thought we would try it 😂😂😠

Not quite right was hardly the description. The picture was elongated and squashed. Very like those mirrors you have in fun fairs making you look short and fat. Darcy B was as wide as she was high😠

We lasted 10 minutes then opted for a refund

Avoid this cinema at all costs for live relays

My mother and I used to go regularly to High Wycombe and never had any problems, I don't blame you for being put off but it's really not always like that! 

***Sorry, ignore this - just realised we used to go to Empire at the top of the hill and Cineworld's the one in town, of which I have no experience whatsoever!*** 

Edited by ellyb

13 hours ago, Anna C said:

Speaking of Drosselmeyer, didn’t Clara used to kiss him on the cheek after he’d mended Nutcracker? 

Indeed - I always remember when Caroline Duprot was Clara there was always a kissy-lips imprint in lipstick on Drosselmeyer's cheek as he scurried into the wings 🙂 I remember being very envious! lol

• Like 3

@Jude my favourite scene in the two Peter Wright Nutcrackers is when the prince wakes up in the pine forest in the BRB one. Also at the very very end when the prince brings her home.

I wasn't going to go to Melbourne to see the cinema relay on 22-23-24 December (no cinema showing it closer), but now I'm going to Hobart for Christmas, and yay it's on!

Happily AusBallet is bringing its BRB one back next year for the first time in five years and I've already booked (casts unknown until November 2024) six shows.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

AusBallet

Small Nutcracker & RB deviation, I see 19-year-old Laura Griffiths has joined Australian Ballet, trained at English National Ballet School (David Yow) and was Senior Award Winner in the 2022 Cecchetti Classical Ballet Bursary Awards, adjudicated by Anita Young.  You can watch her online performance here at just after 11 minutes in:

https://www.istd.org/discover/news/cecchetti-classical-ballet-bursary-awards-selection-event-2022/

Previously she had been an award winner in the Lucie Saronova Memorial Awards held by Cecchetti Ballet Australia, when she was a student at the Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School:

https://danceinforma.com.au/articles/lucie-saronova-memorial-awards-post-results-2/ 2018

https://www.danceaustralia.com.au/news/a-fine-standard-at-the-lucie-saronova-awards 2019

Lovely photo:

https://www.facebook.com/cecchettiballetaus/photos/a.1318926498304041/1318928494970508/?type=3

And an interview here:

https://midlandexpress.com.au/arts/2023/10/03/ballets-rising-star-laura-griffiths-puts-australian-ballet-under-a-spell/

“I watched The Australian Ballet for years growing up, and they informed what I knew as professional ballet. I aspired to be a part of the company in Australia one day.”

As a student, Laura’s path took her on what she describes as “a full circle adventure” after not being accepted into The Australian Ballet School three years earlier.

She was instead accepted into the English National Ballet School, in London, and left the country to train at the height of the coronavirus pandemic in 2020.

Though no doubt she'll be doing corps work, one to watch out for in next year's Nutcracker?

It's quite heart-warming to see her achieve her ambition after all those years of dedication and hard work.

21 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Though no doubt she'll be doing corps work, one to watch out for in next year's Nutcracker?

Can't say. She's only been here since the middle of the year and all the company's done since then is a zillion Swan Lakes and the Ashton mixed bill. I couldn't tell you if she had any small roles i.e. named fairies in the Ashton, as the company did not deign to name any of them. She has done a number of Cygnets though.

• Like 1

RB Nutcracker in cinemas, if you missed or simply want to go again and again, Encore screenings are mostly on Sunday 17th December.   However, I typed in my postcode and in the list of cinema showings I note several cinemas in the region have extra showings on top of the Encore ones. It does say 'filmed' for those.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-nutcracker-in-cinemas-details

• Thanks 1

Oh dear I hope he’s not injured Id booked to see the cast for the 21st matinee which Joe Sissens was down for. 
As it happens though unfortunately there’ll be no Nutcrackers for me this year as am waiting for an Op. on my wrist which I broke falling down a step earlier this week 😬😥
I’ve got two tickets one for 19th evening  ( Naghdi/Ball/ Pantuso/ Ikaraichi/ Avis and one for 21st matinee with Mayara/ Clarke/ Maeda/ Sissens/Avis They are both tickets in the Balcony in row D so not cheap!! 

Ive already mentioned the 21st in the ticket offer section as somebody had been asking for that afternoon. 
Will advertise formally tomorrow but because of proximity will have to consider returning to box office by Monday. 

Tonight's cast would have been one I'd like to have booked to see (with either Acri or Sissens) had I known all the supporting character and Act 2 divertissement casting in advance! Wishing Joseph Sissens a quick recovery from whatever is keeping him sidelined. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh dear I hope he’s not injured Id booked to see the cast for the 21st matinee which Joe Sissens was down for. 
As it happens though unfortunately there’ll be no Nutcrackers for me this year as am waiting for an Op. on my wrist which I broke falling down a step earlier this week 😬😥
I’ve got two tickets one for 19th evening  ( Naghdi/Ball/ Pantuso/ Ikaraichi/ Avis and one for 21st matinee with Mayara/ Clarke/ Maeda/ Sissens/Avis They are both tickets in the Balcony in row D so not cheap!! 

Ive already mentioned the 21st in the ticket offer section as somebody had been asking for that afternoon. 
Will advertise formally tomorrow but because of proximity will have to consider returning to box office by Monday. 

Sorry to hear about your horrible injury and impending operation @LinMM.  I hope you’re able to keep the pain at bay and wish you a speedy recovery. 💐

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you have broken your wrist. I hope the operation goes well.  😘

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'm so sorry to hear that, LinMM! I hope the op happens soon as goes as well as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annamk said:

The RoH usually post the interviews from the live relays on their YouTube channel but I'm really disappointed that they don't seem to have done so this time unless I have somehow missed it. 

I've been looking also and yes disappointed too! 🤨

It could be that they are holding off until the encores etc are over.

Edited by Ondine

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

am waiting for an Op. on my wrist which I broke falling down a step earlier this week 😬😥

Oh eck, that sounds grim, hope it isn't too painful and inconvenient and wishing you a speedy return to 100%.

Shocking you have to miss the RB though!

• Like 1