DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been going through all my curtain call photos from last night, deleting all the out of focus ones, and I can't help thinking that Nunez must be a strong contender for Most Photogenic Ballerina! I can't find a single photo where her expression is anything other than a beam of happiness. (Not posting any examples as I'm sure everyone has seen enough of my photos for today.)

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Sophoife said:

BTW "discrete" and "discreet" mean two different things, and the two are often confused, much like "horde" and "hoard". My personal hashtag elsewhere is #NitPickersNotSoAnonymous 😉 and I find myself using it more and more frequently, especially on the site formerly named Twitter. I won't say "formerly known as" because most of us still call it that 🤣 alleged billionaires notwithstanding.

The day one stops learning is the day one starts dying ‘tis said. So, thank you for the correction, @Sophoife. I’ll admit that’s one I didn’t know. I love picking nits too which is why I’m not on TwitX as I’d get into a lot of trouble 😉 .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just been going through all my curtain call photos from last night, deleting all the out of focus ones, and I can't help thinking that Nunez must be a strong contender for Most Photogenic Ballerina! I can't find a single photo where her expression is anything other than a beam of happiness. (Not posting any examples as I'm sure everyone has seen enough of my photos for today.)

I have one - and one of Vadim looking like sulky toddler. There's a reason I don't post photos!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Oh, now I want to see that!! 🤣

And thank you @PeterS for your gracious acceptance of my 3am nitpicking 😘

Haha I really shouldn’t, it’s mean – and obviously not at all representative; I don’t intend to take awful pictures, I just have a horrible talent for making absolutely anyone look like a drunken ogre! It’s rather depressing when I get to the train and eagerly grab my phone to see what I’ve captured…

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Well, Marianela’s post this morning confirms that her curtain call jeté was an unrehearsed, spur of the moment decision and the photo from @dancersdiary was just a lucky shot as he didn’t know she was going to do it! Love it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyp7IHiLJOt/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

then i stand corrected 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

Well, Marianela’s post this morning confirms that her curtain call jeté was an unrehearsed, spur of the moment decision and the photo from @dancersdiary was just a lucky shot as he didn’t know she was going to do it! Love it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyp7IHiLJOt/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Thank you @Balletfanp....those two pictures are simply pure joy and great art caught in time. Thank you for finding and posting them.

That grand jete from Marianela is particularly incredible as there's not usually a lot of space for a grand jete in front of theatre curtains so not many ballerinas attempt one! The company should ask Marianela and Andrej's permission to use it on marketing posters on railway stations, buses, ads, etc....that would actually revive their box office! And of course, it's a marvellous jump, with wonderful line, flexibility, expression....the lot. And the backdrop of the ROH curtain also reflects Marianela's oft stated joy at performing and being a member of the Royal Ballet, so it's very apt. 😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Thank you @Balletfanp....those two pictures are simply pure joy and great art caught in time. Thank you for finding and posting them.

That grand jete from Marianela is particularly incredible as there's not usually a lot of space for a grand jete in front of theatre curtains so not many ballerinas attempt one! The company should ask Marianela and Andre's permission to use it on marketing posters on railway stations, buses, ads, etc....that would actually revive their box office! And of course, it's a marvellous jump, with wonderful line, flexibility, expression....the lot. And the backdrop of the ROH curtain also reflects Marianela's oft stated joy at performing and being a member of the Royal Ballet, so it's very apt. 😀

She is just a superstar in my eyes.

• Like 7

Btw, I meant to ask whether anyone spotted what appeared to be a couple of prop malfunctions on Thursday? Nunez seemed to have to borrow a fan off one of her friends, and the carpet beater thingy appeared to be missing in the prologue.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alison said:

Btw, I meant to ask whether anyone spotted what appeared to be a couple of prop malfunctions on Thursday? Nunez seemed to have to borrow a fan off one of her friends, and the carpet beater thingy appeared to be missing in the prologue.

Dont they always swop fans?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alison said:

Kitri didn’t arrive onstage with a fan and my mind suggested that as different to the usual entrance.

Yes the peasant girls had nothing to spank Sancho with whereas they usually have a carpet beater and ….. ? 
Note to self: get out of the (RO)House more 🙂 

Edited by PeterS
Sp
  • Like 4

I did notice they didn’t do the little throw in those lifts in Act 1 and wondered why they missed them out? I felt that Act 1 was a little muted and it seemed to me like they couldn’t quite manage them, which surprised me, but wondered if Vadim and Marianela usually perform them?  They’d certainly warmed up by the end though -  culminating in those incredible and electrifying pas de deuxs and solos.  Marianela was pure radiance, an absolute superstar.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

I did notice they didn’t do the little throw in those lifts in Act 1 and wondered why they missed them out? I felt that Act 1 was a little muted and it seemed to me like they couldn’t quite manage them, which surprised me, but wondered if Vadim and Marianela usually perform them?  They’d certainly warmed up by the end though -  culminating in those incredible and electrifying pas de deuxs and solos.  Marianela was pure radiance, an absolute superstar.

I’m quite sure it wasn’t because they couldn’t manage them - we are talking about two very experienced principals here! I don’t think it’s actually a requirement of the choreography and is probably optional but I don’t think either of them tend to go in for tricks for the sake of it, they can let their dancing do the talking.

I did think that Marianela seemed a bit more subdued than usual in Act 1 but she certainly made up for it in Acts 2 and 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are actually quite a lot of choreographic differences among the casts I have seen but I’m not going to highlight them as, read in isolation, they could detract from the whole - and we have been treated to some wonderful performances overall.

• Like 3

I'm sorry you feel it would be unsuitable to detail choreographic differences @capybara. I'd love to know details of differences between casts because I find I can rarely spot them myself! Even when I saw both performances last Saturday it didn't register with me that Bracewell started his Act III solo very differently to Ball until someone else mentioned it.

Edited by Dawnstar

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm sorry you feel it would be unsuitable to detail choreographic differences @capybara. I'd love to know details of differences between casts because I find I can rarely spot them myself! Even when I saw both performances last Saturday it didn't register with me that Bracewell started his Act III solo very differently to Ball until someone else mentioned it.

I’m the same. I get so engrossed that I often don’t notice differences and I love it when other forum members point out the differences and points of interest. 🙂

Edited by Linnzi5

2 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

I did notice they didn’t do the little throw in those lifts in Act 1 and wondered why they missed them out? 

I saw all of their performances including opening night and they didn't do it in any of their performances so not a metter of missing them. 

9 hours ago, oncnp said:

I saw all of their performances including opening night and they didn't do it in any of their performances so not a metter of missing them. 

Thank you - that’s what I was wondering: if it was a choice they made to not ever perform them or just on that night.  When I said I wondered if they couldn’t mange them, I obviously know they are two of the best dancers in the world and didn’t mean they aren’t up to it, just that in that particular moment, possibly due to injury, not being 100%, or it not feeling right at that moment, they left them out on the evening I saw them.

I would also be interested to hear of the little choreographic differences between dancers - it’s what makes seeing different casts so wonderful.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

As it is now only 2 weeks away is there any glimmer of news from the ROH on why Nov 7th Don Q is still marked as “sold out” due to some “exciting event” apparently. 

As a ticket holder would love to know sometime soon!

• Like 3