DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, for reasons unknown, Vue Plymouth isn’t screening it. I have no idea why as it usually does, and all the other ROH offerings this year are listed - just not this one. Very disappointing. The nearest place listed to show it was Ivybridge and I didn’t fancy trekking 20 miles in the dark after a full day at work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Sadly, for reasons unknown, Vue Plymouth isn’t screening it. I have no idea why as it usually does, and all the other ROH offerings this year are listed - just not this one. Very disappointing. The nearest place listed to show it was Ivybridge and I didn’t fancy trekking 20 miles in the dark after a full day at work.

And Plymouth Vue cinema are only showing the encore of The Nutcracker 🙄

I’m afraid Keswick cinema’s satellite link failed (first time ever). A very enterprising cinema offering the audience tickets for Sunday and a free film tonight (The Great Escaper was the majority choice).
Currently overcast skies so no sign of the Northern Lights. 

• Like 1

King sitt

37 minutes ago, NikkiB said:

If anyone manages to get a photo of Beth meeting the King I would be most grateful 😀

I’m guessing that won’t be on stage, but if it happens I’ll have a go! 

King sitting front centre in DG tier as Royal Box already full ☺️

Basilio held Kitri up an extra long time on both lifts and the conductor synched the music wonderfully 👏

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 8

Well that was exciting.  Got to the cinema and sat there with the other 2 people who had booked.  Watched the countdown on the screen get to 4 minutes.....and the screen went blank.  After about 5 minutes a member of staff came in and asked if the screen had been on before.  Turned out the entire cinema had experienced a power cut. 

We heard someone in the room behind us shouting expletives into a phone as he tried to sort things out.  Eventually the picture was restored but not the sound.  We admired Darcey's earrings, saw the King and Queen arrive, watched a soundless overture by the orchestra, and then some silent dancing.  One of the other audience members tried to find the music for Don Quixote on her phone, and we sat for about 20 minutes in case the sound came back.  Eventually we trooped out, got our money back, and walked home.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

King sitt

Basilio held Kitri up an extra long time on both lifts and the conductor synched the music wonderfully 👏

Directly underneath so not been able to see King and Queen but great view of Floella Benjamin…

Stellar cast tonight led by a top form Kitri and Basilio.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

Am sitting in my local cinema right now - it’s packed out! 😱

Mine isn’t packed but more than usual! Usually there’s me and about 10 other people max but today about 20. 

First act was amazing! Feels like everyone is on fire tonight 

so sorry you are missing it @Fontythis has happened to me before, these things seem quite temperamental 😞

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

King sitt

Having sat there for Woolf Works, at least he has a smashing view.

33 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Well that was exciting.  Got to the cinema and sat there with the other 2 people who had booked.  Watched the countdown on the screen get to 4 minutes.....and the screen went blank.  After about 5 minutes a member of staff came in and asked if the screen had been on before.  Turned out the entire cinema had experienced a power cut. 

We heard someone in the room behind us shouting expletives into a phone as he tried to sort things out.  Eventually the picture was restored but not the sound.  We admired Darcey's earrings, saw the King and Queen arrive, watched a soundless overture by the orchestra, and then some silent dancing.  One of the other audience members tried to find the music for Don Quixote on her phone, and we sat for about 20 minutes in case the sound came back.  Eventually we trooped out, got our money back, and walked home.  

Makes you proud to be British ..

Edited by postie
  • Like 4

Well the young lady in the box office yesterday either didn’t know about the King and Queens visit herself or directly lied to me!! It was the way she completely dismissed that idea “ oh no nothing like that “ ( is happening). 
Perhaps she had been sworn to secrecy who knows but as she didn’t bother to phone me back either ( and she suggested it!) am feeling a bit peeved about ROH at the moment. 

Still …..hope it all goes well for Mayara and Matthew and they have a ball performing it tonight with the rest of the cast. 

• Like 2

So disappointing … our cinema (Everyman Bristol) couldn’t get the feed to work.   We had a few seconds of sound intermittently but never any picture … so I know that royalty were in the house.  And I did hear snippets of the dancers beforehand describing their roles … but in 5-10 second bites with 30 seconds of silence inbetween.  So frustrating.  The cinema staff say other cinemas were also not connected.  

Despite the freebie drinks, copious apologies and inviting us back free of charge for the encore showing …  I still feel completely let down.  Deflated.  

Sad. 

Just now, Sim said:

I am so sorry for everyone who was let down at the cinema tonight. Every time they do these livestreams they seem to mess up. Why can’t they get it right?  🤬

I feel the same way 😢 

I have been very lucky so far and the Cineworld cinema I go to for the live relays is excellent -as was tonight’s live feed. I have no complaints about the picture or sound - it was pretty perfect.

• Like 2

When my cinema lost the Ashton mixed bill in 2017, it was because the receiving equipment had been dislodged by the wind. It could be something like that affecting individual cinemas, rather than something more centralised. I'm very sorry for all those who missed it.

• Like 1

No problems with live feed in N London.  Thoroughly enjoyed evening.  Shame that just as I thinking I'd finally seen Mayara not make a mistake in performance (I've only seen her three times in a leading role) she took a tumble again but otherwise it was a wonderful evening.  More anon but I have work tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

That’s so disappointing. It’s not as if they are short of screens! Kingsbridge was pretty full, but that would have been a fair old trek for you too.

Well that was very lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The cinema was fairly empty but never mind.  The picture froze and blacked out twice but came back very quickly.  

Gary Avis stole the show for me.  He has the most amazingly captivating eyes and tells his story through them.  I can see why everyone was so well disposed towards him.  He just looks so appealing I wanted to give him a cuddle and help him.  Liam Boswell was also really sweet as Sancho Panza.  

Mayara was a lovely Kitri, charmingly flirtatious and amusing and the role really suited her.  It was such a shame she slipped towards the end but it didn't matter.  Matthew Ball was great and his jumps were very impressive. 

I particularly loved Calvin Richardson because he was slaying it.  Espada has definitely won the lottery on costumes he looked really handsome (with legs that went on forever) and had plenty of swagger and dash and I loved his technique in the jumps. It's the first time I'd seen him in a major role I think and I was impressed.  I also really liked Leticia Dias as Mercedes she was so sultry and had amazing port de bras and looked positively feline.  I thought she was fantastic in the character. 

My other favourite was Annette Buvoli as the Dryad Queen, she had such elegant technique and beautiful movements.  She always looks so poised in everything, it's a joy to watch her.  

Overall a great evening.  

• Like 13

I had a marvelllous time at my cinema- and feel very sorry for all those who missed out on a lovely performance.

Sim and others had lauded James Hay's performance as Gamache and I was much looking forward to it. Well ....my goodness- it was simply wonderful, worth cycling 3 miles in the cold just for that. The man is an absolute star.

I was also thrilled by Calvin Richardson's Espada- not having seen him dance like that before, He seemed to be channelling the young Jack Nicholson: phew- sizzling! And also very funny.

It was a great show all round- a few minor fluffs but, overall a big success for Magri and Ball and all - , you could feel the happiness in the theatre and if a lot of the audience were new to ballet, it was an ideal introduction.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, NikkiB said:

And Plymouth Vue cinema are only showing the encore of The Nutcracker 🙄

My Vue (off Purley Way near the Ikea in West Croydon) doesn't seem to do encore shows at all - and isn't even doing the Nutcracker live stream in December this time around.

Mind you, as there were only 6 of us in the Screen 1 autitorium this evening (out of 85 recliner seats), you have to wonder how many more they will cover in the future 😞

As for the show this evening - enjoyed it well enough, though whether it's the lighting, the camera work, or a combination of the two, it wasn't half gloomy - even in the sunny town square (where sunny = beige, and indoors = dark brown)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am so sorry for everyone who was let down at the cinema tonight. Every time they do these livestreams they seem to mess up. Why can’t they get it right?  🤬

somewhat ironically, I had given up going to my local Vue (15mins walk away) because they always cocked it up (and the price rise from £12 to £24 not helping). But tonight - no problem at all! (except the gloom, which I doubt was their fault)

• Like 3

What a joyous evening…and one that for me belonged to the boys! Ball, Avis, Boswell, Dixon(!), Hay, Brændsrød and my personal standout of the night the incredible Calvin Richardson…my God he is magnificent! I very much identified with the fainting girl…

Mayara was just such a lovely Kitri. A special shout-out to Marco Masciari who I couldn’t stop watching, Sae Maeda who I think will make a wonderful Kitri one day and the beautiful Isabella Gasparini.

• Like 12

My initial thoughts on tonight, especially as there were some new faces in roles for me.

I thought Isabella Gasparini was a lovely Amour - so full of fun and very sweet - the joy on her face when she dances is wonderful. Loved Calvin Richardson - he got the swagger and self-assured Espada spot on for me and injected a bit of humour too. Liked Leticia Dias again - each time I see her I think she gets better. Gary Avis was a great Don Q and Liam Boswell's Sancho Panza was sweet and funny. My eye is always drawn to Sae Maeda - another dancer who shows so much joy when dancing. I was impressed with Mica Bradbury in the fandango too. I don't believe I'd seen Casper Lench as a matador before (?) but I thought he danced beautifully (I'm pretty sure it was him).

I thought Matthew Ball looked a little nervous (understandably!) to start with and I preferred his performance from the rehearsal initially. However, he did relax and I was impressed with his solos, particularly in Act III, where I thought his jumps were quite spectacular.  I thought Mayara Magri danced beautifully - very spirited and technically assured. The two lifts at the end of Act I were most impressive - although I do find them rather ungainly, especially when held for a great length of time  (no matter who does them. Must be just me who feels that way!)

Just as I was thinking - yes! fouettés out of the way, nothing can go wrong now, well done, it sadly did, with a blip that was unfortunately spectacular - everyone in the cinema gasped so loudly when Mayara fell and it wasn't the audience's fault, but it rather annoyed me that they all gasped so dramatically - I do hope it wasn't the same in ROH - I couldn't hear because everyone gasping drowned out the sound from the relay!! I wanted to cry for her as she had danced so well up to then. It didn't ruin things for me, these things happen in live performance, but I really, really felt sad for her. 

Overall, an enjoyable evening with some lovely dancing! 

Edit: Forgot to mention James Hay - he made me giggle even more on the screen. Those eyes are just brilliant! 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 11

Fantastic night here in Liverpool - with lots of cheers and support from Matthew's family and friends 😀 And what a great show both he a Mayara gave us!

Gary Avis is such an amazing actor - his expressions speak volumes. A very special artist! And James Hay - I love him, what comedic talent! Although I would love to see him as Lescaut with either Isabella Gasparini or Sophie Allnatt, both petit and lovely performers who capture my attention every time they're on stage.

The star of the show was the whole company! Congratulations everyone 👏🏽 

• Like 11

I enjoyed the cinema relay.  

There was a hitch so we missed about half the preamble but the performance went OK on the screen.  There was about 20 of us in the Odeon at Switch Island.

I still prefer BRB's production but all the dancers absolutely sparkled tonight.  Matthew Ball's Basilio was definitely a Scouse-Jack-the-Lad interpretation and very wonderful it was too.  Mayara Magri inhabited the role of Kitri.  Isabella Gasperini was a gorgeous Amour.  I loved James Hay full stop!

• Like 11