Your ROH ticket purchase patterns for Autumn 2023 - have they changed?

27 minutes ago, Fonty said:

As I am not a Friend, the chances of my getting a standing ticket are nil.

They really aren't, Fonty.  I got several on Wednesday, even with the limited number of performances I booked.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how many people were looking to go and see live (or encore) relays at the cinema instead of attending in person ? Seems quite an attractive option to me (if you like the cast...)

If you usually stand, then cinema seats are more expensive.  But if you usually choose somewhere in the amphi, the price differential is more  attractive.  There are live relays for Don Q, Nutcracker, Manon, Macmillan Triple and SwAn Lake. The encore performances (not all cinemas do them) are usually on the Sunday afternoon after the relay.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

I am seeing more of the cinema relays though because they're proving a good value alternative. 

Yes that's true....and useful for catching up with other casts if you're seeing your favourites in the Opera House.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

They really aren't, Fonty.  I got several on Wednesday, even with the limited number of performances I booked.

I didn't try on Wednesday.  I have limited internet access abroad, and watching a circle go round and round is depressing.  I have tried for the days and casts I want to see, and there is nothing.   Lots of expensive seats in the stalls though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

why are the Ashton triple bills not being shown at the cinema? 

Yes, I mentioned the not showing of Ashton at the cinema in the original new season discussion. Especially as it's supposed to be the launch of a several year Ashton celebration you'd think a cinema relay would be a great way of publicising it to an international audience. They're broadcasting 2 Macmillan bills and some modern looking thing called Message in a Bottle but nothing of the varied and exciting looking programmes of the Founder Choreographer. I know they haven't even got round to streaming last years triple bill so perhaps there are copyright or rights issues, especially as they're owned by different people. But Ashton mixed bills have been broadcast before and transferred to dvds so I can't understand the problem. I did ask Kevin at the stage door once and he assured me it was 'in hand' and I think that was Feb!!!

• Like 6

It really is time that the ridiculous issue of Ashton's ballet ownership was taken in hand.  Are there no wealthy patrons who are fans who could persuade the current owners to part with them, so that they could all be brought under the one umbrella of an organisation that could cherish them?   Assuming, of course, that the owner is obvious?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, alison said:

Also, I have often been able to buy a standing on the RoH website in the week of the performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynette H said:

I was wondering how many people were looking to go and see live (or encore) relays at the cinema instead of attending in person ? Seems quite an attractive option to me (if you like the cast...)

If you usually stand, then cinema seats are more expensive.  But if you usually choose somewhere in the amphi, the price differential is more  attractive.  There are live relays for Don Q, Nutcracker, Manon, Macmillan Triple and SwAn Lake. The encore performances (not all cinemas do them) are usually on the Sunday afternoon after the relay.

I tend to go to the relays more often now.  I quite like it because often it's a different cast from the one I'd possibly book for to see in ROH so I'm exposed to a wider range of dancers.  I don't like standing so they're quite good value and comfortable.  

I am buying fewer tickets for ROH performances at the moment because I feel they're quite expensive in comparison to some other venues.  I have limited resources so I tend to pick the things I want to see in different places and quite often there's other things I'd rather see.  

• Like 1

I’m going to more performances this Autumn compared to last year (25 versus 15):

10x Don Q (1x Stalls, 1x Stalls Circle, 4x Balcony, 4x Standing)

4x Cellist (1x Stalls Circle, x Balcony)

4x Nutcracker (2x Balcony, 2x Standing)

2x Dante (1x Stalls Circle, 1x Balcony)

2x Limit

1x Generations

2x Opera (2x Standing)

Last year I managed:

9x Mayerling (2x Stalls, 1x Stalls Circle, 5x Balcony, 1x Standing)

3x Nutcracker 1x Balcony, 2x Standing)

2x Light of Passage (2x Balcony) 

1x Diaminds (1x Standing)

Whilst I’ve more forthcoming events this Autumn, I’m standing a fair bit more and only occasionally sit in my favourite Stalls seats. I think one of the reasons for the increase in numbers of events is the ROH weekend schedule when it’s possible to see three or four performances for a night or two in London and when I’m more than happy to see all the casts.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I’m going to more performances this Autumn compared to last year (25 versus 15):

2x Limit

1x Generations

2x Opera (2x Standing)

Last year I managed:

Whilst I’ve more forthcoming events this Autumn, I’m standing a fair bit more and only occasionally sit in my favourite Stalls seats. I think one of the reasons for the increase in numbers of events is the ROH weekend schedule when it’s possible to see three or four performances for a night or two in London and when I’m more than happy to see all the casts.

9 x Mayerling in one season - I salute you!  Not that it isn't a wonderful ballet - it is, but I find it emotionally gruelling if well done.  I was completely wiped out after Muntagirov's performance.

• Like 7

I enjoy both ballet and opera but have only booked 2 performances of Nutcracker in this period at £32 each. I used to regularly sit towards the back of the amphi and accepted the compromise between cheaper seats and a lesser view. But the higher the price of these seats increase the less that compromise seems worth making.

I have taken up going to Encore performances at £15 a time and have a seat where I can see everything. It's amazing just how much of the detail I was missing from the back of the amphi. 

• Like 2

That’s an impressive schedule @JohnS! I bought my first standing ticket last season and have found it to be a great way to see more performances even if I do arrive home considerably more tired than when seated.

My strategy so far this season has been to buy front amphi for rehearsals, a good seat for a cast I’m really keen to see (Takada/Acri in Don Q during this booking period) and standing for any other performances. I really enjoy the cinema screenings too.

I haven’t yet bought tickets for Dante or Anemoi/Cello but may reconsider nearer the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

9 x Mayerling in one season - I salute you!  Not that it isn't a wonderful ballet - it is, but I find it emotionally gruelling if well done.  I was completely wiped out after Muntagirov's performance.

I ended up seeing 8 Mayerlings last season, going back for a second viewing of two casts including the Muntagirov one. However I'm still at the stage where many ballets are relatively new to me, having previously only seen Mayerling the once live & once at the cinema in 2018. I can understand that some people - though obviously not @JohnS! - having seen many of the RB's repertoire for many years are not wanting to see as many performances now. Unfortunately I have not yet got to the stage, and can only regret that I started regular ballet-going shortly before what seems to be exactly the wrong time for price rises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

2x Limit

1x Generations

2x Opera (2x Standing)

Last year I managed:

It sounds as if you're going to be single-handedly keeping the ROH afloat @JohnS 😊

• Like 11

Thank you for this interesting thread. I went back to look at the last run of Don Quixote to compare my own purchase behaviour. In 2019, I went to four performances (including the rehearsal). This year, I've let my Friend's Membership lapse, as I don't see the value atm. And I only booked two shows for Don Q. One for my fave pair and one for a debut. For almost the exact same seat, I paid 36% more in 2023.

At the current prices, I'm passing on the Cellist entirely. (Although I'm happy for Mayara Magri, who I'm sure will smash it.) In 2020, I saw both casts. I wanted to support the premier and I was excited to see Beatriz Stix-Brunell in a starring role. Plus, it was paired with Dances at a Gathering, which is a must see for me. (With respect to Valentino Zucchetti, I'd see Anemoi again at Linbury prices, but these days I can only justify main stage money for something I love.) Looking at what I paid then, the same seat is now a whopping 46.6% more. Checked my math twice, as it really is unbelievable.

Not being a McGregor fan, I put my savings from skipping Dante into a couple of Nutcrackers. (I need this year to end on a happy note 🎄)

Overall, compared to pre-covid 2019, I will see 50% less performances this year. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterS said:

Fortunately I’ve developed a taste for a vitamin fortified cat food which has enabled me to buy most of the tickets I wanted this Autumn without having to starve. 😉 

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Since I started watching ballet 2-3 years ago I’ve booked for at least one performance for everything on the main stage. Usually I’d go to see the Nutcracker multiple time (up to 4 or so) and the big classical ballets 2+ performances each plus one performance each of everything else. And all the class on stage sessions too. If I liked something I’d go and see it a few more times too and see all the cinema relays. I usually sit in cheaper balcony tickets, SCS or front side amphi.

Since front side amphi has increased in price and there seem to be less cheap balcony seats coming up (I know these are only released about a month out but I hardly ever seem to catch them nowadays) and I’m too tired to stand in an evening I have booked a LOT less for the upcoming season:

I have booked:

Don Q: 2 x side front amphi Osipova/Clark, 1 x SCS Nunez (which I will probably sell on here or return since thanks to the generosity of a forum member I have a front balcony ticket for Nunez)

Nut: 2 x SCS Buvoli

Nothing else as I’m only going to ballets I know I’ll like and not trying new things due to cost.

I’ve only seen RB so far but might investigate seeing more of other companies instead due to cost. Plus child seats for ENB are half the price of adult ones so if I ever take the whole family that will be a cheaper option (last year my husband and I took the 3 kids to see nut and it was £30 seat for front side Amphi - row A and view wasn’t great so for £150 we could’ve got better seats at Coli for all 5 of us). Tbh though we won’t be doing a ballet family outing for the foreseeable future 😭

I love watching ballet but I think I’ll just go to cinema relays and one or two performances a season with respect to RB now. 

• Like 5

On 02/08/2023 at 13:39, Geoff said:

In answer to your question Alison, yes of course they have. Since we returned after lockdown I have been booking further and further away from where I would like to sit, in direct proportion to the rising prices. And I am sure I am booking fewer tickets as well.

However it may well be that ROH doesn’t care if this is how we behave, or even considers this a job well done. Remember the former ROH marketing boss (who must not be criticised here but departed after her cunning plan was leaked)? She announced that she wanted to drive regulars out of the ROH to make way for Arts Council-pleasing “new audiences”, who might also be less picky about ticket prices as they would be going for the “experience”. A policy aim which around the same time was echoed by the then Chairman of the ROH, so one can assume it had broad approval from the bosses.

So our changed behaviour - if indeed most of us are changing our behaviour - could be just what ROH wants, freeing up seats for people who will enjoy a special night out but probably never come back. How sad if that is so. 

Gosh is that the game plan of the ROH? I’m shocked. If so I agree it is really very sad to deprive people that genuinely love the art form 😭

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Fonty said:

As I am not a Friend, the chances of my getting a standing ticket are nil.  I think my viewing this year might be limited to the cinema relays.  I am not going to pay over £100 for a seat when the chances are high that my view will be blocked by someone else.  On that topic, why are the Ashton triple bills not being shown at the cinema? 

There were some SCS when I went on general booking at 9.15am on Weds. I usually tend to find one or two SCS for most things on general booking but sometimes I do have to check back for returns and buy tickets on here.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 13:39, Geoff said:

In answer to your question Alison, yes of course they have. Since we returned after lockdown I have been booking further and further away from where I would like to sit, in direct proportion to the rising prices. And I am sure I am booking fewer tickets as well.

However it may well be that ROH doesn’t care if this is how we behave, or even considers this a job well done. Remember the former ROH marketing boss (who must not be criticised here but departed after her cunning plan was leaked)? She announced that she wanted to drive regulars out of the ROH to make way for Arts Council-pleasing “new audiences”, who might also be less picky about ticket prices as they would be going for the “experience”. A policy aim which around the same time was echoed by the then Chairman of the ROH, so one can assume it had broad approval from the bosses.

So our changed behaviour - if indeed most of us are changing our behaviour - could be just what ROH wants, freeing up seats for people who will enjoy a special night out but probably never come back. How sad if that is so. 

Surely they need regulars to buy multiple tickets, are there really enough new audiences to pick up all the unsold tickets ? I guess we will see this Autumn, I suspect there will be plenty of empty seats, particularly in the Amphi, no one I know would pay those prices. I hear that a lot of West End shows are really struggling to sell seats at the moment. 

I am also wondering whether the price increases are partly that the RoH is just stuck between a rock and a hard place with the huge funding gap they have to fill ? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, annamk said:

Surely they need regulars to buy multiple tickets, are there really enough new audiences to pick up all the unsold tickets ? I guess we will see this Autumn, I suspect there will be plenty of empty seats, particularly in the Amphi, no one I know would pay those prices. I hear that a lot of West End shows are really struggling to sell seats at the moment. 

Yes, but we should be wary of judging things by how full the auditorium looks. The impression I get is that ROH has got much smarter at how it fills seats in the run up to a performance. They probably use some kind of mixture of:

- increasing the marketing

- offering special deals to targeted groups (like Friends in categories)

- then pushing things out at decreasing prices

- finishing with dumping anything left to ten pound students or even free papering for friends/family/company. 

The figure which matters is how much a performance has sold for - and that is of course information we will never get.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

The figure which matters is how much a performance has sold for - and that is of course information we will never get.

What is more effective from a financial standpoint? Slashing everything unsold for a lower price closer to the time, or having more reasonable prices from the beginning?

Just curious.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yes, but we should be wary of judging things by how full the auditorium looks. The impression I get is that ROH has got much smarter at how it fills seats in the run up to a performance. They probably use some kind of mixture of:

- finishing with dumping anything left to ten pound students or even free papering for friends/family/company. 

That's all true Geoff although you can get some idea of how well things have sold in the weeks before the performance, it was obvious for quite some time in the run up to the last outing for Frankenstein that it was selling really badly and that they would have to paper the house to avoid a total embarrassment. 

I haven't really changed my purchasing plans, other than reflecting that I now have other demands on my time and sometimes when I'm going on my own (which is about 25% of the time), I'll usually booking a standing place so I don't feel quite as bad if I end up with a clash and have to get rid of the ticket (also more likely that it will go to someone on here!).

For the current booking period, so far as ballet/dance is concerned, I have booked:

• Don Q - 10 + the rehearsal
  • Anemoi/The Cellist - 3 (not a great fan of The Cellist but I'll give it another go)
  • Dante Project - 5
  • Nutcracker - 11
  • Northern - 1
  • Ballet Black - 1
  • The Limit - 1
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Absolutely.  It's a bit of a dead giveaway when you see students in uniform in the posh seats.

Someone - maybe bridiem? - did argue elsewhere, some time ago, that it was probably better financially to increase the prices and then sell some at a discount.  I can't remember the exact reasoning.

I have:

• Don Q - 4
  • Anemoi/The Cellist - 3
  • Dante Project - 2 (some clashes - but clashes I can live with; I like act 1, acts 2&3 not so much)
  • Nutcracker - 7 (couldn't resist in the end)

then in the Linbury:

• Northern - 2
  • Ballet Black - 1
  • The Limit - 3
  • Drafts in Oct - YES! I got one!

Also have 6 Sadlers visits (ENB, BRB, Alvin Ailey, Cloud Gate), plus a trip to Birmingham for BRB. So, not so cut back as I first thought!!! lol

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, alison said:

Someone - maybe bridiem? - did argue elsewhere, some time ago, that it was probably better financially to increase the prices and then sell some at a discount.  I can't remember the exact reasoning.

Don't think it was me (though I might have wondered if that was the strategy involved). Like @art_enthusiast, I'd like to know how the pricing actually works out for these productions.

• Like 3