19 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Wayne McGregor is a major figure in dance.   Don't like it,  don't buy a ticket. 

I just don’t understand why you feel it necessary to make a comment like that. 

McGregor’s early work for the RB was thrilling and groundbreaking but for a number of years I have found most of his new work choreographically uninteresting.

Nonetheless, as a huge dance fan I live in hope and of course I’d give a new MvGregor a go. Sadly, this latest work (which I only saw at the rehearsal) has done nothing to change my view that McGregor has run out of ideas for the RB and they both need to move on. 

• Like 16

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I'd suggest anyone who doesn't enjoy what he does, doesn't go to see it. 

The only problem with that is if, as in this case, his work is programmed as part of a mixed bill & you want to see something else on the same bill.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, capybara said:

Usually, it seems, for as long as they themselves decide - except where Boards move against them.

The  definite article or a ?

It was 'the' as far as I was aware, capybara .... He was saying that he was not particularly interested in bringing in core 20th Century or 21st century 'balletic' masterworks for the company as they were NOT a priority ... but THAT (i.e., the dreaded 'the') definitely was.  He has - at least as far as I can remember - been true to his word.  

• Like 1

I thought it better than many of those tunic n tights affairs beloved of those designing for princes. 😏

And we won't go there again with the 'men in white lycra' of CG, but I thought they looked far better than those too. 🤭

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The only problem with that is if, as in this case, his work is programmed as part of a mixed bill & you want to see something else on the same bill.

In which case I have known people have a refreshing snooze to fortify themselves for the delights to come. Snoring isn't recommended though.

• Like 1

I didn't have a problem with the costumes for Untitled - although I did think they were rather derivative of Merce Cunningham, and indeed parts of the choreography made me think of him, too.  I think my problem was rather the music, because I didn't find it very danceable-to. 

I do think I was perhaps a little harsh on Corybantic Games last time around: I may not be overly keen on the costumes, but the music is at least danceable, and the choreography has musicality, and at times wit.  Also, I think last time I may have seen it from standing: it looked better from amphitheatre level, where you could see the dancers spaced out better, rather than the (choreography for the) ones at the back being hidden by those at the front.

Anastasia - which I realise I've never seen before as a one-act ballet, although I have seen the previous version of Act III on a number of occasions - I found odd.  Unless I was missing things in areas of the stage which I couldn't see, it felt oddly - filleted, was the word which came to mind.  As if the choreography had been thinned out somehow.  And it seemed to be over rather sooner than I'd expected.  But Morera gave it her all, of course.

• Like 11

I can't believe people are saying Wayne McGregor's time with the Royal Ballet should be coming to an end when it's less than 2 years since he produced the Dante Project.  I think that was one of the most moving and honest attempts to say something important about the human condition that l have seen on the Covent Garden stage. It inspired amazing creative inputs from Thomas Adès and Tacita Dean. And you have to admire the ambition involved in taking on the Divine Comedy and coming so close to hitting the mark. I'm not seeing Untitled until next Saturday, but l'm really looking forward to it. I do agree, though, that the three pieces in the triple bill don't seem to sit very easily together, and l'm dreading having to sit through those costumes in CB again, although l quite like it otherwise. I wish Laura Morerea could have left on a more uplifting note. 

• Like 15

On 09/06/2023 at 21:24, capybara said:

While I am writing, can I just ask why it is that, in many McGregor and other modern pieces, the choreography seems to be disassociated with the music being played.

Having just seen BRB's 'Interlinked' the opposite was true for that - one of the striking things about it.  I don't usually like 'modern' music.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Sue J said:

I can't believe people are saying Wayne McGregor's time with the Royal Ballet should be coming to an end when it's less than 2 years since he produced the Dante Project.  I think that was one of the most moving and honest attempts to say something important about the human condition that l have seen on the Covent Garden stage. It inspired amazing creative inputs from Thomas Adès and Tacita Dean. And you have to admire the ambition involved in taking on the Divine Comedy and coming so close to hitting the mark. I'm not seeing Untitled until next Saturday, but l'm really looking forward to it. I do agree, though, that the three pieces in the triple bill don't seem to sit very easily together, and l'm dreading having to sit through those costumes in CB again, although l quite like it otherwise. I wish Laura Morerea could have left on a more uplifting note. 

Yes - it's The Dante Project and Woolf Works that made me realise that McGregor can produce something other than gymnastic quasi-dance one-acters, and something very much worth seeing. I think he can make the one-acters in his sleep; maybe The DP is what he can do when he aims for something else.

• Like 8

I note some of my posts have been 'disappeared' from this thread. It keeps happening.

Thay weren't rude, thay weren't sarcastic, they were on topic, they were responding to other posts, it seems I'm being 'cancelled' for some reason. Interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue J said:

I can't believe people are saying Wayne McGregor's time with the Royal Ballet should be coming to an end when it's less than 2 years since he produced the Dante Project.

I also don't see what the problem is with him doing shorter works which maybe aren't so heavyweight every now and again.

Dancers enjoy working with him, enjoy being part of the creative process, audiences appear to enjoy his work, if everything he does isn't wildly innovative is it really such a big deal?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, annamk said:

McGregor’s early work for the RB was thrilling and groundbreaking but for a number of years I have found most of his new work choreographically uninteresting.

Nonetheless, as a huge dance fan I live in hope and of course I’d give a new MvGregor a go. Sadly, this latest work (which I only saw at the rehearsal) has done nothing to change my view that McGregor has run out of ideas for the RB and they both need to move on. 

Precisely how I feel.  Having said that, I would have given this new work a go if it had been on a triple bill that had other things that I really, really wanted to see.  However, I dislike the one act Anastasia, and said my goodbye to Morera when I saw her final Cinderella, which would have made a wonderful ending to her career.  

@Vanartus If your remark about McGregor being unable to do anything right was aimed at me, it isn't true.  I enjoyed some of  Woolf Works, although not all of it, and there are some of his one act pieces I would be happy to see again, if they were on the sort of triple or quadruple bill that Japan is getting (which makes my mouth water).    I never saw the Dante Project, which most people seemed to enjoy, so cannot pass comment on that.  And I rather like the look of the costumes for Untitled.  Although that could be that they look positively elegant in comparison with those ghastly, ghastly ones for Corybantic Games.

Whether or not the dancers enjoy working with McGregor is beside the point.  Of course they do; they would enjoy working with anyone who is creating something new especially for them.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Whether or not the dancers enjoy working with McGregor is beside the point

It's what at times keeps dancers in a company, enjoying working with a choreographer on a new work. McGregor knows the company, they know him. It's not really so beside the point. It's obviously not the whole point.

Audiences appear to enjoy  / appreciate his work too, which is also a consideration. 

Dante Project can be watched on iplayer. it should have vansihed by now, however it's still live.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013v98/the-royal-ballet-the-dante-project

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I note some of my posts have been 'disappeared' from this thread. It keeps happening.

Thay weren't rude, thay weren't sarcastic, they were on topic, they were responding to other posts, it seems I'm being 'cancelled' for some reason. Interesting.

Nobody is being “cancelled”.

It is forum policy to hide posts which *may* breach our forum rules, while said posts are discussed by moderators.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Nobody is being “cancelled”.

Well I've had posts not returned which I can't see how they breached forum rules, others have posted similar and not been 'vanished'.

Worrever.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

Time on the iPlayer varies. The BRB Don Q is available for a year while Men at The Barre  is a month. It shows Dante avaiable for 3 months, at the moment 

I enjoyed last night’s performance seeing the second cast who’d also danced the General Rehearsal. It remains a demanding evening but I’m pleased to say I’m finding the McGregor and Wheeldon more satisfying on further viewings. Last night it was good to have the wider perspective from the Balcony. I like the McGregor stage design and costumes and I find interest in the dance. Wheeldon provides elegance and wit albeit not helped by the costumes. And I do wish it were easier to identify who’s dancing more readily. I preferred opening night’s Anastasia Act 3: in part that could have been because I was so much closer to the stage but Laura Morera’s opening night performance was mesmerising and I’m pleased I have my favourite seat for Saturday’s final performance.

• Like 13

Just now, zxDaveM said:

some of your more caustic posts

Perhaps it's simply the way you read them?  'Worrever' was intended as lighthearted. I could have put a shrug.

My own opinions are my own. I'm actually pretty polite in expressing them. Wry comment isn't caustic or sarcasm or, in fact, rudeness.

I'm happy to have anyone disgree with me, and happy to argue why I think as I do.

That used to be the point of a discussion.

I'd repeat the Alice Humpty Dumpty quote I made last night (no but it seems that's fallen foul of the moderation. 😐

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I find a spot on a comfy seat in one of the bars, and sit out ones I have come to dislike. A nice book helps pass the time too 🙂

Or arriving late/leaving early another possibility (the above best if it's a middle piece/act)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Perhaps it's simply the way you read them?  'Worrever' was intended as lighthearted. I could have put a shrug.

My own opinions are my own. I'm actually pretty polite in expressing them. Wry comment isn't caustic or sarcasm or, in fact, rudeness.

I'm happy to have anyone disgree with me, and happy to argue why I think as I do.

That used to be the point of a discussion.

I'd repeat the Alice Humpty Dumpty quote I made last night (no but it seems that's fallen foul of the moderation. 😐

but by being thoughtless as to how others may read your posts (many of which are interesting and worthwhile reading), you are, maybe inadvertently, causing upset to other forum members.

• Like 5

Just now, zxDaveM said:

causing upset to other forum members.

And perhaps that applies both ways?

I don't complain, I'll either ignore or argue my point.

I've had some really nice DMs from people who also can't see what I've done wrong either. Why are people so very keen to take instant offence? Upset to forum members? For talking about ballet and having a sense of humour?

I'd say snowflakes but no doubt that will cause sharp intakes of breath too.  😏

Have to say that depending on cast I may sit out different drummer in the Macmillan triple. I saw it many times when Eagling/Ferri danced it but I never liked it. Same with Judas tree - watched it for mukhamedov. I revere Macmillan but not his full canon. I was so hoping DD would be last on the bill so I could get home before 1am!

• Like 2

I don’t know why we can’t have more galas like Japan - I would have loved last year’s scheduled works and this year’s too! 😢

I really did enjoy Corybantic Games and may use my closing night ticket to see that. As I said earlier, I did like the staging,

lightning and costumes for Untitled 2023 and though the music didn’t ‘float my boat’ it wasn’t awful, just didn’t add anything to the choreography, IMO. The performances were brilliant, as they were for all of the works. I am not certain I could watch Anastasia Act III again, but wanted to see Laura Morera’s last performance.  We shall see. I would feel really disrespectful leaving early, I think - unless I needed to catch a train or similar, but I don’t have a reason other than I didn’t enjoy the work itself. 

On a different note, and a little off topic, I do think it can be very difficult to know the intent of the poster when something is written in black and white. Sometimes, the intent of the reader influences how I comprehend posts I read and I can be mistaken about what is being said - my inference and deduction skills let me down!  Other times, that is not the case and I think I know exactly the intent of the writer as it is as plain as day what the intent surely is. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I'd say snowflakes but no doubt that will cause sharp intakes of breath too.  😏

Certainly won’t cause me a sharp intake of breath, but it may make me wonder if you are Laurence Fox in disguise.

Anyway, could we get back on topic, please.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Laurence Fox in disguise.

Ooh.  Cutting. Now for that I really have taken offence (though I liked him in Lewis...) and am off in high dudgeon to take it out on the weeds.

Pah.

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I find a spot on a comfy seat in one of the bars, and sit out ones I have come to dislike. A nice book helps pass the time too 🙂

Or arriving late/leaving early another possibility (the above best if it's a middle piece/act)

I have thought about that but then it seems an awful waste of money to pay for a full evening of performance & only see 40 minutes of it.... If only Morera wasn't retiring then I could happily skip the entire thing!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

On a different note, and a little off topic, I do think it can be very difficult to know the intent of the poster when something is written in black and white. Sometimes, the intent of the reader influences how I comprehend posts I read and I can be mistaken about what is being said - my inference and deduction skills let me down!  Other times, that is not the case and I think I know exactly the intent of the writer as it is as plain as day what the intent surely is. 

That's how I feel @Linnzi5.

We lack here the face to face interaction which tends to moderate our speech and behaviour.  Humour and sarcasm can  be fine of course but I hope I have learned I shouldn't just assume  my own questionable sense of humour, or sarcasm, will be appropriate (even the use of emojis!), especially if personally deployed, in effect, against other posters as part of an  impassioned ballet discussion. It can descend into the sort of rather unpleasant back and forth that has arisen recently. I know I sometimes have to imagine if I would respond in a particular way if it were a "live" discussion, or alternatively if a statement would not work well unless deliverable / explainable face to face. If it seems my post reasonably could be seen as ill-judged, I hope I would think about a re-write in advance of assuming that if any  offence were to be taken, or misunderstanding were to arise,  it must be at the intent, or the fault, of the reader.

• Like 10