• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Am looking forward to reading comments …especially about whether the dancers in McGregors Piece were dressed like weird ( killer) Lego pieces!!! 

Well. 🤐

https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/wayne-mcgregor-profile

Your new work also features costumes by Burberry’s Daniel Lee. Why did you want to team up with him?

Daniel is an amazing dance aficionado and used to dance a lot as a child. He was able to respond to this incredible score by Anna Thorvaldsdottir, it is very textural and of epic scale, and elicits certain images. Daniel had that and a very particular image to work with because he knew I wanted something very raw and minimal.

15 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I'm intrigued. Am going tonight and now am hoping it's a good 'itching to comment' and not for not so good reasons!

Ditto!

I sense the knives are out, perhaps prematurely, perhaps not. However, it has been said multiple times on this forum that a rehearsal is not deemed to be a performance and hence members are asked not to comment thereon.
It presumably follows that what one sees at a rehearsal shouldn’t form the basis for a review of a production even after it has opened since the rehearsal and the performance may differ. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I sense the knives are out, perhaps prematurely, perhaps not. However, it has been said multiple times on this forum that a rehearsal is not deemed to be a performance and hence members are asked not to comment thereon.
It presumably follows that what one sees at a rehearsal shouldn’t form the basis for a review of a production even after it has opened since the rehearsal and the performance may differ. 

I don’t think the choreography will change between this afternoon and tonight.  Nor will the music. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sim said:

I don’t think the choreography will change between this afternoon and tonight.  Nor will the music. 

however, the way that the music and the choreography are interpreted might differ resulting in a different impact in performance. there’s always an announcement at the start of a rehearsal that artists may not give a full interpretation of what they will subsequently perform. which is why judging a work only on the basis of a seen rehearsal can be misleading. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PeterS said:

however, the way that the music and the choreography are interpreted might differ resulting in a different impact in performance. there’s always an announcement at the start of a rehearsal that artists may not give a full interpretation of what they will subsequently perform. which is why judging a work only on the basis of a seen rehearsal can be misleading. 

True. However, most dancers treat a general like a performance as it gives them an extra full stage call and a feel for how it will play. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I have rarely noticed a difference between a general rehearsal and a performance.  The dancers and musicians, being the pros that they are, go all out for an audience, whether it’s a general rehearsal or a performance.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I will wait until after tonight to comment.  Meanwhile, I am going to drown my sorrows.  

Sim, I thought you meant sorrows about Laura Morera’s impending farewell, but I now see that the alternative meaning(s) might apply..... !

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sim said:

True. However, most dancers treat a general like a performance as it gives them an extra full stage call and a feel for how it will play. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I have rarely noticed a difference between a general rehearsal and a performance.  The dancers and musicians, being the pros that they are, go all out for an audience, whether it’s a general rehearsal or a performance.  

Just flagging up that the casts for two of this evening’s three pieces are different to those who danced at today’s rehearsal. Just maybe, those in the third piece were keeping something in the tank for tonight’s world première. We shall see 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1

The cast sheet is up for tonight & I'm baffled by the timings.

This production lasts approximately 3 hours and 5 minutes, including two intervals.
Untitled, 2023 35 minutes
Interval 30 minutes
Corybantic Games 35 minutes
Interval 25 minutes
Anastasia Act III 40 minutes

Adding up the individual times I make it 2 hours 45 mins, but their overall time is 3 hours 5 mins. I'd be interested to know from anyone either at the dress rehearsal or who's going tonight what the timings are actually working out to be?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The cast sheet is up for tonight & I'm baffled by the timings.

Adding up the individual times I make it 2 hours 45 mins, but their overall time is 3 hours 5 mins. I'd be interested to know from anyone either at the dress rehearsal or who's going tonight what the timings are actually working out to be?

Based on the EXIF data of my pics…Corybantic finished at 13.19 and Anastasia at 1427 after an ‘1130’ start 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Based on the EXIF data of my pics…Corybantic finished at 13.19 and Anastasia at 1427 after an ‘1130’ start 

Thanks. So pretty much 3 hours then. Did you notice what time Anastasia started? Is it only 40 mins, or longer?

15 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. So pretty much 3 hours then. Did you notice what time Anastasia started? Is it only 40 mins, or longer?

I think it started at 1350 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I think it started at 1350 

Agreed and finished moments ahead of 2.30pm.

However, the second interval was probably longer than 25 minutes and was one of those where the audience was called back but kept waiting.

Edited by capybara
  • Thanks 1

I’m a bit concerned about some of the sounds coming from the orchestra! Sounds like my brother with his woodwork!

Monica Mason is sitting a few seats away - interesting to see her reaction.

Edited by MJW
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJW said:

I’m a bit concerned about some of the sounds coming from the orchestra! Sounds like my brother with his woodwork!

Monica Mason is sitting a few seats away - interesting to see her reaction.

Dame Monica was at the rehearsal as well - remember it was she who introduced Wayne McGregor into the Company.

Just now, MoVR said:

Love how there's a trailer of Untitled posted AFTER the premiere. Love how they're dressed like the painting. Looks very Mcgregor, pity I won't get to see it.

There are cameras here so not sure if they are filming for a later release?

9 minutes ago, MoVR said:

Love how there's a trailer of Untitled posted AFTER the premiere. Love how they're dressed like the painting. Looks very Mcgregor,

Looks very Herrera painting!  I'm suspecting the costumes are very last minute...

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, MoVR said:

Has there been any indication that it will be streamed?

No.  I'd love to see it. The clips look exciting. . It's been rather hush hush hasn't it?

I'm thrilled for the young dancers involved that they've been working on this with McGregor too. 

• Like 2