3 hours ago, Ondine said:

Without this work on the bill, how many would actually have been on stage?

That's a good point and the younger/less experienced dancers all need more opportunities to perform, which is hard to obtain in so large a company. I noticed that very few of them were in Woolf Works. So it's good that this McGregor piece helps with this.

Haven't seen it yet but looking forward to doing so this week.

• Like 5

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Candle - thrice welcome ex tenebris.  May your flame burn brightly and often now that you have made a very considered first step.

Thank you for the kind welcome - I can't promise often as my visits to the ROH are limited to a handful of times a year due to distance, but am glad to have joined and hope to chime in again.

My life has been considerably enriched through watching ballet and it wouldn't have happened without the relationship between the RB and Wayne McGregor. Chancing upon his work was the gateway that ultimately led to a much wider interest and ultimately getting myself to London to see the RB in as many varied works as often as I can justifiably afford!

• Like 19

Anyone who is at Laura Morera's final show, please throw in a Brava! for me!

I often struggle with McGregor's choices of music, so found @candle's post really interesting and thought-provoking. I hadn't liked anything of his until I saw Mara Galeazzi, in a tent on the side of a mountain (Howman's Gap, on the road to Falls Creek), dance a solo set to Bach. Wonderful.

[slightly off-topic] No news from me re AusBallet possible dancer industrial action at this time, btw.

• Like 3

Some of the above comments refer to a 25% discount - has something been sent out for this triple? I’d be tempted to go again if that discount was available.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Thanks to today's forum Links via @Jan McNulty

A review, and it's good to see Harris Bell in the header pic (along with Melissa Hamilton).

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/jun/11/royal-ballet-triple-bill-review-wayne-mcgregor-untitled-2023-corybantic-games-anastastia-act-iii

Excellent.  I’m a fan of Harris, and it’s great that he’s being given more stage time.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Excellent.  I’m a fan of Harris, and it’s great that he’s being given more stage time.

He gave an interview when he gained his Aud Jebson place, and said this:

Modern works, I’d love to dance some of Wayne MacGregor’s stuff and really push to the extremes of my body’s ability

You have to be delighted for him!

https://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-harris-bell-the-royal-ballet/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MJW said:

Some of the above comments refer to a 25% discount - has something been sent out for this triple? I’d be tempted to go again if that discount was available.

I don’t recall seeing anything for the Triple Bill. The Friends news letter 2 June had an offer for Il Trovatore - 25% of Orchestra Stalls seats for performances on 5, 8 and (still to come) 16 June.

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I ordered my bouquet today - I imagine there will be quite a few!

Delighted to see a number of bouquets for Laura Morera on her first night. Here’s hoping for a celebratory flower throw as well as armfuls of bouquets on Saturday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m expecting a flower throw plus the usual “file past” of fellow principals and senior colleagues coming up to present her with a rose or a bouquet on Saturday....plus a speech from Kevin and Laura being given the mike to make a speech too! Will definitely yell a “Brava!” on your behalf, @Sophoife. 👍 Am expecting the show to run at least 3hours. 😁😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Glad for him - very sweetly he messaged me on IG about me going to opening night which I don’t expect him to do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MJW said:

I’m a friend and haven’t received anything. That said I’ve already booked once so maybe not their target. 

Ironically given where I thought I might rank my ballet preferences, I’m looking forward most to Untitled now! To be honest I was never much looking forward to Anastasia but had to see Laura in it (sadly not her final performance, but there will be enough people there and yes expect flower throws, speeches on stage etc). Corbyantic games I’m not sure about - I liked within the golden hour but Wheeldon’s work has never really ‘wowed’ me. I feel he’s quite consistent whereas with McGregor I’m either quite impressed (Woolf Works act 1) or a bit bored (Dante Project act 2). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’m a friend and haven’t received anything. That said I’ve already booked once so maybe not their target. 

Ironically given where I thought I might rank my ballet preferences, I’m looking forward most to Untitled now! To be honest I was never much looking forward to Anastasia but had to see Laura in it (sadly not her final performance, but there will be enough people there and yes expect flower throws, speeches on stage etc). Corbyantic games I’m not sure about - I liked within the golden hour but Wheeldon’s work has never really ‘wowed’ me. I feel he’s quite consistent whereas with McGregor I’m either quite impressed (Woolf Works act 1) or a bit bored (Dante Project act 2). 

I would certainly recommend trying to see Untitled if you can..tempted to go again just for that.

Had a very nice chat with the lady sitting next to me last Friday and we both agreed it was excellent. Similarly we had both enjoyed Woolf Works in March. Interestingly she said that she had preferred the classics when she was younger but had now preferred modern works. 

• Like 7

I note from the Links (the Harper's Bazaar article) that the costumes for Corybantic Games have been changed quite substantially.  I hadn't paid them enough attention last time around to notice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I note from the Links (the Harper's Bazaar article) that the costumes for Corybantic Games have been changed quite substantially.  I hadn't paid them enough attention last time around to notice.

Not enough if the pictures are anything to go by!  Although perhaps they look better on the stage?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alison said:

Those peculiar bits of black webbing or whatever used to have loose bits that flung around dangerously . They still just look very messy TBH.   https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/erdem-royal-ballet-costumes

More photos here of the originals and what I think is fair criticism:

https://dancetabs.com/2018/03/royal-ballet-bernstein-centenary-yugen-the-age-of-anxiety-corybantic-games-london/

Erdem Moralioglu’s costumes make the men look almost nude, like Greek statues of naked young men; the women wear 1950s style corsetry, with long pleated tulle skirts that they discard half way through. Black velvet straps indicate the status of soloists and demi-soloists among the cast of 21. Much publicity has been given to Erdem’s contribution, with preview articles in Vogue and the New York Times. Members of the fashion press were invited to the opening night. Yet the costumes seem hardly worth the fuss. Boned bustiers and big knickers look clumsy on slender female bodies and velvet ribbons flutter distractingly. The men could be wearing gaffer tape stripes on flesh-coloured vests above standard white tights.

Also, the detailing on the women's costumes is far too delicate to be seen from afar, which is where most people will be.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

I thought that the over-the-shoulder webbing was a little bit shorter and more ‘tied in’ to the bodice.

Yes it is now, but it still looks random and messy really.  I did like the skirts. The rest needs a radical rethink IMO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, alison said:

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Not enough if the pictures are anything to go by!  Although perhaps they look better on the stage?

I saw the Harper’s Bazaar article on the Dance Links and had a close look at the photos hoping for an improvement, eg making the costumes safer and more respectful for the dancers. Unfortunately all it looks like they’ve done is remade a whole new set of costumes in a silvery material instead of white, and some of the sashes (that were flinging about dangerously in 2018) now seem a bit shorter or just sewn down with less of the sashes hanging loose (or both).

Basically just doubled the expense but repeated the same mistakes.

Perhaps I should write in and mention that leotards and practice skirts for the women and unitards for the men would look far better and cost much less, and we can finally see Wheeldon’s choreography properly. After all, Wheeldon’s own Polyphonia looks nice without any gimmicky costuming, and Balanchine’s Agon and The Four Temperaments show that with good choreography you don’t need fussy attire to evoke ancient European themes. If they were wanting to reuse an existing Wheeldon work with costumes, I wish they’d revived Electric Counterpoint instead of this eyesore. Looking forward to the rest of the triple bill (albeit the last ballet for Morera’s performance rather than the Act 3 on its own) though! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Basically just doubled the expense but repeated the same mistakes.

There are photo call close ups here, though not of every costume?   Not the skirts of course.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Hope you won’t be too disappointed if I mention that the speeches and flower throws  are generally only for the very last show and not the preceding ones, JNC, but the departing dancer still gets lots more bouquets, curtain calls and cheers than usual (it still feels very warm and affectionate)- I could only make it to Yanowsky and Watson’s second last and third last shows respectively rather than their final ones, and they were still very flower filled, celebratory and emotional -really memorable occasions. I too am really looking forward to Untitled after some positives shared by fellow members after their visits! 😊

10 minutes ago, Ondine said:

There are photo call close ups here, though not of every costume?   Not the skirts of course.

They are silvery rather than white if you look at the shots where the dancers aren’t right in the lights, Ondine. Oh, I’m not sure if you are asking me whether I’ve seen Rob S’s photos -of course I have, they are essential must-sees after every RB premiere! 😊 - or whether you mean that you didn’t feel they look silvery. 

If you look at the Facebook/Twitter post with the costumes that ROH posted plus the Harper’s Bazaar article, you can see the skirts still look the same design other than the colour and maybe the pleating  (especially the photo with Charlotte Tonkinson and Erdem in the workshop- a beautiful dancer with elegant lines having to wear a yucky outfit! Even warm up clothing would have looked nicer.) The pleating was also a big mistake- should just have no pleats.

When Erdem was interviewed, he said he wanted 1950s corsets - I don’t know why he should think 1950s corsets equals Ancient Greece or Greek mythology! Did he just ignore what Wheeldon said about his ideas for the ballet?? There are many things that 1950s corsets can represent, but Greek mythology and Ancient Greece aren’t among them. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Re the curtain call pics. To illustrate: Julia Roscoe looks lovely in her big knickers and granny bra I have to say, though she'd look lovely in a sack I think. Those bits of ribbon though. Messy. Harry Churches in his tights and bondage straps.

52965523698_74bd5c2760_b.jpg

Pic is by @Rob S whose copyright it is. Apologies! It's been a long day. Thank @Emeralds!

Edited by zxDaveM
remove erroneous credit
  • Like 7

@Emeralds yes I am aware, I was lucky enough to see Bonelli’s retirement and that was very special - I know seeing Laura’s not quite final performance will not be the same as her retirement, but expect it to be moving and very worthwhile nonetheless, I think my comment referred to the fact that whilst I can’t make her final performance many will go and I expect she will get the full flower throw etc then as well and rightfully deserved! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

Pic credit is all the indefatigable @zxDaveM whose copyright it is. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it.

I’m quite sure he won’t 😆

I for one love the CG outfits and if they were available in the ROH shop would be sure to buy…not so keen on the male version though 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

They are silvery rather than white if you look at the shots where the dancers aren’t right in the lights, Ondine. Oh, I’m not sure if you are asking me whether I’ve seen Rob S’s photos -of course I have, they are essential must-sees after every RB premiere! 😊 - or whether you mean that you didn’t feel they look silvery. 

If you look at the Facebook/Twitter post with the costumes that ROH posted plus the Harper’s Bazaar article, you can see the skirts still look the same design other than the colour and the pleats (especially the photo with Charlotte Tonkinson and Erdem in the workshop- a beautiful dancer with elegant lines having to wear a yucky outfit! Even warm up clothing would have looked nicer.) The pleating was also a big mistake- should just have no pleats. 

I suspect costumes got a bargain roll of fabric down the market. And a job lot of tights in Capezio or wherever.

I'm merely posting so anyone new to all this can see why the critics were being er... critical.

I liked the pleats in the skirts, I liked the skirts altogether I just wish the rest would be rethought. 

Edited by Ondine

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Re the photo call pics. To illustrate: Julia Roscoe looks lovely in her big knickers and granny bra I have to say, though she'd look lovely in a sack I think. Those bits of ribbon though. Messy. Harry Churches in his tights and bondage straps.

Pic credit is all the indefatigable @zxDaveM whose copyright it is. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it.

Julia and Harry would make any item they had to wear look good. It’s just how professional they are (they would never look glum even if a costume was awful), and the RB dancers are all elegant and beautiful to begin with anyway.  

Just to let you know, zxDaveM kindly posts the pictures in the photos archive for members wanting to refer to them in future, but these pictures are taken by Rob S. 

(PS I added a bit more to my original comment while tidying up typos and bits that made more sense, so apologies if you had to scroll back to reread. I don’t often have time to repost, and in fact I need to log off v soon, so will reply later.) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JNC said:

@Emeralds yes I am aware, I was lucky enough to see Bonelli’s retirement and that was very special - I know seeing Laura’s not quite final performance will not be the same as her retirement, but expect it to be moving and very worthwhile nonetheless, I think my comment referred to the fact that whilst I can’t make her final performance many will go and I expect she will get the full flower throw etc then as well and rightfully deserved! 

Cool! Just wanted to make sure you weren’t expecting it in case you were disappointed! Ah-Bonelli’s last Swan Lake was a wonderful occasion wasn’t it....so glad you saw it. (And a superb, superb Swan Lake from everyone. Just magical!) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I’m quite sure he won’t 😆

I for one love the CG outfits and if they were available in the ROH shop would be sure to buy…not so keen on the male version though 

Apologies. Brain fade. I've edited the post. x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I liked Corybantic Games. The costumes really don't offend me and I loved some of the performances. It was my favourite from the evening. Untitled 2023 is ok with some positives, as already discussed. Anastasia Act III is just not my thing - interesting narrative but just not enjoyable for me to watch. Laura Morera is great with what material she is given but I still feel it didn't show her as I want to remember her. I didn't see her in Cinderella, but did see her in Mayerling and A Month in the Country, so I am going to remember those instead.

• Like 7