Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions/wishes

23 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Oh please, couldn't we have more just dancing? I get really tired of all these long stories and elaborate costumes.

I would SO love that too, Jane S, but sadly it is not I think the current way at least here on balance - outside, of course, of the core McGregors - which this Company SO shine in.  You can, of course, go elsewhere.  Somehow doing that makes the 'long stories' more doable at home - and the 'elaborate costumes' do, of course, let people see the tax pounds in action.  That said I, like you, would happily waylay that side of the scales somewhat.  

They have yet to revive Balanchine's Ballo Della Regina ... which I believe they only did once .... but then, this Company did the intoxicating Liebeslieder Waltzer ... but only did that once too.  I'm sure we are much more like to see the big ticket heavy hitters ... and I know we will be grateful for the Company's dedication to them.  They are building their audience very specifically to see that the chosen core works - the McMillans, the McGregors, the Wheeldons - will long be cherished into the/their future.  It is the very much the same at NYCB with the Balanchines, the Robbins, the Pecks, the Forsythes and the Ratmanskys being strictly adhered to - and it is truly wonderful to see that audience - like the one at Covent Garden - grow in the specific terms of the future of these works. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my better third and I spoke to the director of opera a few weeks ago, he said that the programme for the next season (bearing in mind opera seasons are usually put together 2-5 years in advance) was revised, as a result of needing to bring in more ticket sales, to remove some of the more adventurous rep and bulk up the 'big sellers'.  I have no doubt that the same will apply for the ballet company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I fear a return of Swan Lake again - I think I saw it last summer and there are so many other ballets that need to be programmed. I could see them programming Giselle to fill this slot as a popular ticket seller.  

Manon, Nutty are dead certs too imo. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alice or Winter's Tale return - both have been out awhile and relatively recent productions. Don Q also a good bet given that they have big ticket sellers here in Nunez and Osipova. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

When my better third and I spoke to the director of opera a few weeks ago, he said that the programme for the next season (bearing in mind opera seasons are usually put together 2-5 years in advance) was revised, as a result of needing to bring in more ticket sales, to remove some of the more adventurous rep and bulk up the 'big sellers'.  I have no doubt that the same will apply for the ballet company.

Probably off topic, but I'm not sure the opera side has done such a good job of predicting what will be a "big seller" of late.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Probably off topic, but I'm not sure the opera side has done such a good job of predicting what will be a "big seller" of late.

I think also adventerous rep for opera is in a different ball park than for ballet. They consistently bring in pretty unknown operas (to general public) with high ticket prices and they don't sell - take the offer of reduced prices for Innocence a supposed 'masterpiece'. Ballet has a much smaller repertoire with the 'risky bets' generally being much better known. 

6 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

I think also adventerous rep for opera is in a different ball park than for ballet. They consistently bring in pretty unknown operas (to general public) with high ticket prices and they don't sell - take the offer of reduced prices for Innocence a supposed 'masterpiece'. Ballet has a much smaller repertoire with the 'risky bets' generally being much better known. 

It's been hit and miss lately. There's been a few seasons where very long runs of Boheme and Traviata have not done the business that they evidently expected (and it was headed that way before Covid, so I don't think we can just blame that). Meanwhile, Britten operas - which it is my understanding have had a reputation for being box office poison - have sold out well in advance.  The Britten operas were cheaper and had shorter runs, but I think Management have been slow to adjust to changing patterns.

I would be very surprised if they hadn't expected Innocence to need reduced prices and offers to shift tickets. It was never going to be a big seller.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I'm hoping (futilely, no doubt) for a season sans a Macmillan 3-acter, but perhaps have a triple bill with one or more of his 'likeable' ballets instead

Oh me too.  I get fed up with the big 3 in rotation.  However, do you think Lady MacMillan will allow that?  Isn't it compulsory? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

hmmm - this thread is becoming more a wishlist than a set of predictions! 😉

If it’s a wish list, can I please have Les Patineurs and The Winter’s Tale 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

Oh please, couldn't we have more just dancing? I get really tired of all these long stories and elaborate costumes.

Serenade

Symphony in C

Agon

4 Temperaments

Symphonic Variations

Scenes de Ballet

Monotones

Shades from Bayadere

Chroma

Asphodel Meadows

Les Noces

Rite of Spring

Song of the Earth

Serenade

Raymonda Act 3

Rhapsody

That's Serenade twice Jane!  Fine by me....!

• Like 1

The Dream

Symphonic Variations

Les Patineurs 

(All 3 of the above together as a Christmas bill?) 

La Bayadere

Ondine 

Coppelia

Some Balanchine, Cranko, don't care what.  

Lots and lots of classical ballet and absolutely no Wayne McGregor  (well, it is MY wish list....)

• Like 8

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions/wishes

If I can go to London in 2023/24 season, I'd like to see Serenade and Manon. Is it too specific to ask for Afternoon of a Faun and Daphnis and Chloe? 

I have a lot of faith for anything Ashton, and I like some pieces by Wheeldon (After the Rain comes to mind).

Please no McGregor and no Swan Lake (at least not the Liam Scarlett version).

Edit: I saw mentions of Onegin, and yes I'd absolutely love to see it!! Sadly I can only go to London probably twice per season so my hope for a good casting schedule is a lot stronger than that for a good programme, because ultimately I know I'll try to get tickets for whatever they put on.

Edited by Celine
  • Like 4

My wish list and my predictions are very different lists!

predictions

Swan Lake

Nutcracker 

Madaddam

Some sort of new/old contemporary bill (McGregor, plus maybe a new choreographer wild card?)

Manon (wouldn’t be surprised if Romeo and Juliet again either, or both even!)

also wouldn’t be surprised to see Don Q either, and or Coppelia or Alice 

wishlist 

La Bayadere

Fille or Sylvia (would happily take both but trying to be realistic)…

Jewels and or Balanchine triple (Serenade, Ballo etc)

Ashton triple (something we’ve not seen in a while like Symphonic Variations, Daphnis and Chloe, Birthday offering maybe, at least do a Balanchine/Ashton combo triple!)

Les Noces

Les Sylphides 

If we have MacMillan would much rather have a mixed bill than one of the big three 

at this rate I’d be ecstatic to get three of my wishlist, happy to get two, and “content” with one. At least I’ll save money…

• Like 6

7 hours ago, FionaE said:

3-4 weeks is not ’soon’ by my definition  … and not soon enough with other companies announced a month earlier! 

As an aside does anyone know why it’s much later this year? Especially if they do mostly plan it years in advance, bar some tweaks? 

I wonder if they’re waiting for some final sales to come in for Cinderella (and whatever opera is on now?) to see if they think Cinderella could even come back next year maybe? I would be surprised but also think it’s more likely than us getting Jewels or Bayadere at this point (sadly to my own personal frustration!!)

At least ENB are doing a bit of Balanchine and Les Noces so I shall go there instead, but maybe O’Hare and Beard read the forum and can be swayed by some last minute pleas…

• Like 1

I really, really hope (but unfortunately doubt!) that there will be revivals of Les Noces & Les Biches since the 23/24 season  I think marks the 100th anniversary of both. 
Other than that, I’d be happy with what Jane S & zxDaveM have suggested - except the MacMillan Right of Spring which I think needs a drastic re-design. I would also like to see less long runs of long, complicated stories with elaborate costumes which must cost a lot (er…Like Water for Chocolate I’m thinking about you) but, IMO, have not that much choreographic worth. 
Why does it seem that there *must* be Manon (which, while giving great opportunities for dramatic performances, does have a lot of padding) when there is no such rule for any other choreographer? 
A triple bill of - in no particular order - Nijinska/ De Valois (Rakes Progress please)/ Pite new work. 

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, MildConcern said:

Bayadere and Onegin would be top of my wishlist, but I'm not holding out much hope!

I hope an Ashton triple bill is on the cards. Manon is looking the most likely out of the Macmillan full-lengths. I would swap out Swan Lake for Giselle, but think that's unlikely to happen!

I hope and pray for Onegin, For every company every year, It’s magical, Royal Ballet last did it in 2019/20 (one of their best seasons to date in my opinion) and do it usually every 5 years, Hopefully this season but most likely 24/25

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I’m not surprised but I am annoyed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oncnp said:

That was a/o several weeks ago when I asked. ' Wouldn't be surprised if it was announced tomorrow. The ROH, like many large organizations does have the right hand not knowing what the left is doing problem (or sometimes that there is a left hand)

Yep, It’s usually announced around The 5th of April and on a Wednesday 

6 hours ago, Candleque said:

Not confident to give predictions beyond:
- a MacMillan (which I will see — but would be nice to have a year off to miss it more) 
- a McGregor (which I won't see; personal pov)
- and Nutcracker (which I will always see 🎄)

My wish list is Sylvia. Would be amazing to see Yasmine Naghdi and others do this role 🤞
Dream also would be delightful 🧚‍♀️

Yasmine in Sylvia would be amazing, To be honest (don’t hate on me) I think Ashton’s Sylvia Isn’t as timeless as some of his other works but that’s doesn’t mean I don’t want a revival. The Dream was a while ago so I could see that being the Ashton Bill probably with Marguerite and Armand

6 hours ago, TSR101 said:

I fear a return of Swan Lake again - I think I saw it last summer and there are so many other ballets that need to be programmed. I could see them programming Giselle to fill this slot as a popular ticket seller.  

Manon, Nutty are dead certs too imo. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alice or Winter's Tale return - both have been out awhile and relatively recent productions. Don Q also a good bet given that they have big ticket sellers here in Nunez and Osipova. 

Alice and Winters Tale I believe are on the cards, Wheeldon is a big seller and they could just program Tchaikovsky, Alice and Maybe Giselle and they wouldn’t need to make another follow in their life (Please, Please don’t do that) But I would assume Swan Lake because every second Year.

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

Oh me too.  I get fed up with the big 3 in rotation.  However, do you think Lady MacMillan will allow that?  Isn't it compulsory? 

Those ones are his biggest names, they will sell and They don’t want to change up his programming because that’s what works

3 hours ago, TSR101 said:

🙏

1 hour ago, Celine said:

If I can go to London in 2023/24 season, I'd like to see Serenade and Manon. Is it too specific to ask for Afternoon of a Faun and Daphnis and Chloe? 

I have a lot of faith for anything Ashton, and I like some pieces by Wheeldon (After the Rain comes to mind).

Please no McGregor and no Swan Lake (at least not the Liam Scarlett version).

Edit: I saw mentions of Onegin, and yes I'd absolutely love to see it!! Sadly I can only go to London probably twice per season so my hope for a good casting schedule is a lot stronger than that for a good programme, because ultimately I know I'll try to get tickets for whatever they put on.

Serenade is a gem, would love them to do it, Which could be paired With Afternoon of a faun and Yugen. Also I would love to hear your thoughts on Liam Scarlett’s Swan Lake.

40 minutes ago, JNC said:

As an aside does anyone know why it’s much later this year? Especially if they do mostly plan it years in advance, bar some tweaks? 

I wonder if they’re waiting for some final sales to come in for Cinderella (and whatever opera is on now?) to see if they think Cinderella could even come back next year maybe? I would be surprised but also think it’s more likely than us getting Jewels or Bayadere at this point (sadly to my own personal frustration!!)

At least ENB are doing a bit of Balanchine and Les Noces so I shall go there instead, but maybe O’Hare and Beard read the forum and can be swayed by some last minute pleas…

Well I was supposed that’s Cindy Was in the National Ballet of Canadas 23/24 Season (as they are the co producers) But I don’t see them Doing a revival this soon, It might be toured (probably to Japan knowing RB) and then in Canada before London again.

19 minutes ago, Ianlond said:

I really, really hope (but unfortunately doubt!) that there will be revivals of Les Noces & Les Biches since the 23/24 season  I think marks the 100th anniversary of both. 
Other than that, I’d be happy with what Jane S & zxDaveM have suggested - except the MacMillan Right of Spring which I think needs a drastic re-design. I would also like to see less long runs of long, complicated stories with elaborate costumes which must cost a lot (er…Like Water for Chocolate I’m thinking about you) but, IMO, have not that much choreographic worth. 
Why does it seem that there *must* be Manon (which, while giving great opportunities for dramatic performances, does have a lot of padding) when there is no such rule for any other choreographer? 
A triple bill of - in no particular order - Nijinska/ De Valois (Rakes Progress please)/ Pite new work. 

If the had a Crystal Pite in every program I would still be happy, But I don’t really see them doing a De Valois Program Because It probably won’t sell. If it’s Le Noces & Les Biches 100 year anniversary I could see them doing something with like 3, 4 shows.

43 minutes ago, Ianlond said:

As long as they're done in that order so I can see the first two then leave early to skip the third!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sim said:

If neither ballet appears in the season announcement I will be writing to Alex Beard and Kevin O’Hare to ask why.  

Me too Sim. Though I emailed Kevin over 3 weeks ago about the Ashton stream and still haven't had a reply.

Regarding what I would like to see next season; Onegin,  Onegin,  Onegin. And an Ashton triple and possibly Sylvia (if Fille isn't scheduled).

Edited by jmhopton
Add info
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sim said:

If neither ballet appears in the season announcement I will be writing to Alex Beard and Kevin O’Hare to ask why.  

I went to Turandot at the RoH last night.

It's many years since I've seen it and I was really struck by what seems to be the difference in attitudes towards cultural sensitivities within the opera and ballet senior management ranks of the RoH.

For reasons of cultural sensitivity 1) the Chinese dance in the Nutcracker was re choreographed and 2) rumours circulating for some time now suggest that the Royal Ballet will no longer perform La Bayadere. And yet there on the RoH stage in all it's cultural appropriation and orientalist fantasy over the top grandeur is Turandot, complete even with yellow faces ........ 

I feel depressed that I find myself increasingly at odds with why some things are apparently ok to show on stage and others are not. 

Manon, which is expected to be performed features a horrific and deeply uncomfortable to watch rape scene. I know the argument goes that these things happen but does that make it necessary for us to watch it on stage ?

When someone mentioned Maddaddam as a probable for 23/24 season further up the thread I looked it up and checked out the reviews. I was dismayed to read in The Globe and Mail review that the ballet "features one of the more horrific scenes you will ever see onstage, and it defies a call for choreographers (most of whom are men) to stop staging gang rape in ballet."  

How can these depictions of violence towards women be OK and yet the character of Alain in Fille is somehow unacceptable ?

• Like 20

Not sure about predictions but my wish list would be:-

Ashton triple - perhaps for Christmas if we get a winter triple- including Les Patineurs. Otherwise loved the last Christmas triple which included Winter Dreams. Can’t recall what the last piece was…

Alice (with reasonable prices to take my son)

Anastasia full length (I won’t be seeing Act 3 in summer due to the rest of the mix).

Ashton full length- Sylvia and or Fille ( re: sensitivities, it’s a great ballet and would be a travesty not to perform it, that’s like saying Don Q shouldn’t be performed due to the foppish suitor).

Would always love to see Bayadère again soon, the RB production is my favourite and they did do some work to cover cultural sensitivities last time. Highlight of last run was being in the Clore studio for the insight watching Natalia Makarova rehearse- was a bit star struck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, annamk said:

And yet there on the RoH stage in all it's cultural appropriation and orientalist fantasy over the top grandeur is Turandot, complete even with yellow faces ........ 

It is worth noting that this production of Turandot is also being retired, this being its final run. I suspect its successor, whenever it arrives, will not lean into the appropriation element as heavily. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, annamk said:

I went to Turandot at the RoH last night.

It's many years since I've seen it and I was really struck by what seems to be the difference in attitudes towards cultural sensitivities within the opera and ballet senior management ranks of the RoH.

For reasons of cultural sensitivity 1) the Chinese dance in the Nutcracker was re choreographed and 2) rumours circulating for some time now suggest that the Royal Ballet will no longer perform La Bayadere. And yet there on the RoH stage in all it's cultural appropriation and orientalist fantasy over the top grandeur is Turandot, complete even with yellow faces ........ 

I feel depressed that I find myself increasingly at odds with why some things are apparently ok to show on stage and others are not. 

Manon, which is expected to be performed features a horrific and deeply uncomfortable to watch rape scene. I know the argument goes that these things happen but does that make it necessary for us to watch it on stage ?

When someone mentioned Maddaddam as a probable for 23/24 season further up the thread I looked it up and checked out the reviews. I was dismayed to read in The Globe and Mail review that the ballet "features one of the more horrific scenes you will ever see onstage, and it defies a call for choreographers (most of whom are men) to stop staging gang rape in ballet."  

How can these depictions of violence towards women be OK and yet the character of Alain in Fille is somehow unacceptable ?

I completely agree, I’m glad they change a bit of the nutcracker, choreography which was made by Russian interpretations of other countries is so stupid to me. La Bayadere isn’t any better but If they cut Bronze idol and made the production a better Indian representation of India Then I think it would be fine. I won’t even get into Turnadot. I haven’t seen Maddaddam and won’t see it but from what I’ve heard it’s pretty bad but Isn’t that the Margret Aatwood Style? Because it’s “MoDeRn DaNcE” it should be more appropriate to keep up with todays culture. They can’t change anything because the choreographers still alive. Manon made me a bit uncomfortable but Mayerling Should be banned, It’s wildly horrific. 

13 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

It is worth noting that this production of Turandot is also being retired, this being its final run. I suspect its successor, whenever it arrives, will not lean into the appropriation element as heavily. 

Phew! But should lot have it been retired already, why another run?

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

Not sure about predictions but my wish list would be:-

Ashton triple - perhaps for Christmas if we get a winter triple- including Les Patineurs. Otherwise loved the last Christmas triple which included Winter Dreams. Can’t recall what the last piece was…

Alice (with reasonable prices to take my son)

Anastasia full length (I won’t be seeing Act 3 in summer due to the rest of the mix).

Ashton full length- Sylvia and or Fille ( re: sensitivities, it’s a great ballet and would be a travesty not to perform it, that’s like saying Don Q shouldn’t be performed due to the foppish suitor).

Would always love to see Bayadère again soon, the RB production is my favourite and they did do some work to cover cultural sensitivities last time. Highlight of last run was being in the Clore studio for the insight watching Natalia Makarova rehearse- was a bit star struck.

La Fille Mal Gardée it’s been so long, I hope to see you again! If Anastasia Act 3 was 22/23 does that mean we could see it again or does it mean a revival would have nothing to do act 3 this season?

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

Highlight of last run was being in the Clore studio for the insight watching Natalia Makarova rehearse- was a bit star struck.

Yes being in the studio for that one was very memorable....Makarova coaching Takada and Naghdi. At the end Akane threw a knife at Yasmine...perhaps taking her part too seriously! 🤣

• Like 3