Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions/wishes

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a big fan of The Dante Project I'm exciting it's coming back and curious to see who will play Dante, considering that RB "lost" both Watson and Bonelli – unless Watson will be tempted back on stage so soon after retirement? The Ashton bills sound amazing and I'm particularly looking forward to Hamlet & Ophelia, surely with Bracewell & Hayward

• Like 2

Guest oncnp

Main stage in a nutshell  (apologies for the formatting)

DON QUIXOTE                                    30 SEPTEMBER–17 NOVEMBER 2023

ANEMOI / THE CELLIST                    20 OCTOBER–2 NOVEMBER 2023

THE DANTE PROJECT                        18 NOVEMBER–2 DECEMBER 2023

THE NUTCRACKER                             6 DECEMBER 2023–13 JANUARY 2024

MANON                                               17 JANUARY–8 MARCH 2024

SWAN LAKE                                         6 MARCH–28 JUNE 2024

DANSES CONCERTANTES / DIFFERENT DRUMMER / REQUIEM

20 MARCH–13 APRIL 2024

THE WINTER'S TALE                           3 MAY–1 JUNE 2024

LES RENDEZVOUS / THE DREAM / RHAPSODY

6 –19 JUNE 2024

THE DREAM / SHORT WORKS / RHAPSODY 

7-–22 JUNE 2024

Very happy to have the Sarasota lot over! I remember Iain and Margaret in their LBC interview said it was something they were hoping for, so I'm glad it's come to fruition. I wasn't expecting Rhapsody back so soon, but I'm not complaining. 

I know it's a long way away but I'm already quite interested to see who'll dance Five Brahms Waltzes. 

On 21/04/2023 at 22:56, Benjamin said:

So does that mean that that Don Q will open the season, before Manon and Maddaddam? And obviously before the nutcracker. 

Correct 😊 (season announcement now up). Actually, I’m surprised that Don Q is not on the schools’ matinee list- it’s a nice one to introduce to kids, and in terms of potential “controversial/sensitive issues”, is very low risk and generally positive about everyone and everything.  The children and teens we’ve taken to Carlos Acosta’s production of Don Q all loved it. Just a thought. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

This season is pretty bad, no new production, Half the Season is a Ashton or Macmillan Celebration (whatever that means), The Dante project, again! Obviously swan Lake, The Nutcracker and Manon. Happy to see Don Q.

Disagree - there is something for everyone, I reckon.

Yes, a lot of Swan Lakes and Nutcrackers (that nearly everyone predicted), but they can be glorious ballets with a good cast, even without, can be interesting for the minor roles (and the corps). Manon the same. DonQ is a fun start to the season; glad to see both Anemoi and The Cellist back, and some interesting things going on in the basement of the Linbury kind (especially the Kristen McNally piece - though it clashes horribly with main stage activity). Be great to see Requiem again (though could cheerfully sit out Different Drummer). As for Dante Project, I will enjoy the first act for sure and perhaps 'get' the rest with further viewing, and always enjoy Winter's Tale. The main stage new choreography festival could be anything from horrid to life affirming, but will be fun to find out which.

And then there's Ashton triples at the end of the season (inc a visit from Sarasota) - that has to be a 10-ticket run if ever there was one

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Happy with the productions named but why on earth have we got Dante again so soon? 

At first I thought the same, as  I had "only just seen it", but I now realise it was first on in October 2021 - time flies!

So the November return is scheduled for just over two years later. Even so I think I could have waited a bit longer ...😏

• Like 2

Just now, Richard LH said:

At first I thought the same, as  I had "only just seen it", but I now realise it was first on in October 2021 - time flies!

So the November return is scheduled for just over two years later. Even so I think I could have waited a bit longer ...😏

Many new pieces seem to have a contract built in that they get shown at least twice within 2-3 years (purely my perception, as I don't know for certain), unless they prove REALLY unpopular!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I was hoping for a bit of Balanchine, to see none at all is a disappointment. 

Must be due to too many people posting here that they thought Jewels in August was boring etc. 😉😆 (Just joking- the season is planned earlier than that.) Not you, of course, emmarose. I had said that I was disappointed that Kunstkamer had to be jettisoned, but was happy to see Australian Ballet in Jewels (in anything, really). So do come and see Jewels in August- it’ll be the last Balanchine at ROH for some time! (Not counting other companies, eg ENB doing Balanchine in late September eptember at Sadler’s Wells.) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Must be due to too many people posting here that they thought Jewels in August was boring etc. 😉😆 (Just joking- the season is planned earlier than that.) Not you, of course, emmarose. I had said that I was disappointed that Kunstkamer had to be jettisoned, but was happy to see Australian Ballet in Jewels (in anything, really). So do come and see Jewels in August- it’ll be the last Balanchine at ROH for some time! (Not counting other companies, eg ENB doing Balanchine in late September eptember at Sadler’s Wells.) 

I already have my Jewels tickets and I'm very much looking forward to it! I missed Rubies and Emeralds very much during the Diamond Celebration. I couldn't say no to it!

I'm also planning on ENB's Balanchine too, I was very excited when they announced it. 

• Like 2