Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions/wishes

ROH Season 2023/24 Should be announced soon! Here are my predictions!

Usually the season consists of 8 works.

Don’t Quote me on any of these

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

We can pretty much confirm:

The Nutcracker (Basically every year)

Swan Lake (every second year)

Maddaddam (co production with National Ballet of Canada Premiered in Toronto Last November)

Some Triple Bills (probably 1 or 2)

Makes Sense but can’t confirm:

Manon? (The Yearly Kenneth Macmillan)

Like Water For Chocolate? (Revival or maybe ABT is keeping a while longer) Maybe Another Christopher Wheeldon?

Dante Project (Paris Opera Ballet is Performing in May 2023) 

Don Quixote (last performed in 2019)

Edited by Benjamin
Change order
  • Like 1

• Benjamin changed the title to Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the welcome! I believe BRB’s Don Q was Carlos Acosta's RB production (with maybe a few changes) and different sets and costumes, By The same designer by the Royal Ballet production. BRB’s Is being performed by the National ballet of Canada in 2024. I’m interested to see if Royal Will revive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Thank you for the welcome! I believe BRB’s Don Q was Carlos Acosta's RB production (with maybe a few changes) and different sets and costumes, By The same designer by the Royal Ballet production. BRB’s Is being performed by the National ballet of Canada in 2024. I’m interested to see if Royal Will revive.

The sets were definitely different (thank goodness) but I'm sure the costumes were the same.  If anyone can correct me on the point of the costumes please do.

Guest oncnp
24 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

ROH Season 2023/24 Should be announced soon! Here are my predictions!

April 26 according to the box office

Edited by oncnp
add source

We all wished for Cinderella every year for years and it hasn't been quite the joyful and triumphant reception we might have expected....

I just wish for one really good Ashton triple and one really good other/Macmillan triple.

It is funny when you think about it that all the abuse  in Manon (including one really vile scene) won't stop it coming round again and again but we're -apparently -not able to see Fille.

Very odd.

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Won't be at all surprised - given the need to fill coffers post Covid lockdowns - if Wheeldon's Alice is on the bill.  Many McGregor one acts in line for revival.  Hasn't Yugen only been done once?  

Yes...and that was more than enough (just my own opinion).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

Is that actually known to be so, Mary? 

I think that's why Mary says 'apparently'....!  I have heard it said that we won't be seeing Fille or Bayadere anytime soon.  If that's true, it's appalling.  Let's wait and see.

Meanwhile, my predictions for part of next season at the RB:

The Dream

DonQ

Manon

Swan Lake

Alice 

Nutcracker

At least one McGregor (Dante Project?)

Some other Ashton pieces

• Like 3

As with last year I'd like to express my wish for Symphonic Variations, preferably in an Ashton bill. 

If Alice came back we'd need new Queen of Heartses (is that the correct plural? 😂), I wonder who could take a crack at it? 

Edited by MaddieRose
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MaddieRose said:

If Alice came back we'd need new Queen of Hearts, I wonder who could take a crack at it? 

Fumi and Melissa.  Natalia too.  Maybe Yuhui also now that I think about it.  

Edited by FionaE
Add Yuhui
  • Like 2

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions
Guest oncnp
39 minutes ago, FionaE said:

3-4 weeks is not ’soon’ by my definition  … and not soon enough with other companies announced a month earlier! 

That was a/o several weeks ago when I asked. ' Wouldn't be surprised if it was announced tomorrow. The ROH, like many large organizations does have the right hand not knowing what the left is doing problem (or sometimes that there is a left hand)

Edited by oncnp

47 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The sets were definitely different (thank goodness) but I'm sure the costumes were the same.  If anyone can correct me on the point of the costumes please do.

No, the costumes were very largely different.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think that's why Mary says 'apparently'....!  I have heard it said that we won't be seeing Fille or Bayadere anytime soon.  If that's true, it's appalling.  Let's wait and see.

Who gets to decide?

One of the things that bothers me most - IF it's true - is that nobody at ROH is prepared to come out and say it and defend this position. Instead all we can do is speculate about whether core repertoire has been quietly shelved and why. It's so cowardly!

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 14

Bayadere and Onegin would be top of my wishlist, but I'm not holding out much hope!

I hope an Ashton triple bill is on the cards. Manon is looking the most likely out of the Macmillan full-lengths. I would swap out Swan Lake for Giselle, but think that's unlikely to happen!

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think that's why Mary says 'apparently'....!  I have heard it said that we won't be seeing Fille....

Is Peregrine on strike?

Swan Lake

Manon

Don Q

Nutcracker

The Dream

Symphonic Variations/Symphony in C/Strapless (but will settle for Les Pats)

MacGregor triple bill

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Who gets to decide?

One of the things that bothers me most - IF it's true - is that nobody at ROH is prepared to come out and say it and defend this position. Instead all we can do is speculate about whether core repertoire has been quietly shelved and why. It's so cowardly!

If neither ballet appears in the season announcement I will be writing to Alex Beard and Kevin O’Hare to ask why.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mary said:

Are these posts predictions or wishes?

My 2 lists would be different..

Anyway Onegin does seem likely and definitely on my wish list ...thinking of casting....

I'll admit that the main reason Onegin is on my wishlist is because I've had a burning desire to see Muntagirov in another 'unpleasant' role ever since his Mayerling. And he did say when withdrawing in 2020 that he will be performing in its next run...

That being said, Onegin was last on in spring 2020 shortly before the first lockdowns, so it may be quite early for a revival. I live in hope, however. 

• Like 9

Not confident to give predictions beyond:
- a MacMillan (which I will see — but would be nice to have a year off to miss it more) 
- a McGregor (which I won't see; personal pov)
- and Nutcracker (which I will always see 🎄)

My wish list is Sylvia. Would be amazing to see Yasmine Naghdi and others do this role 🤞
Dream also would be delightful 🧚‍♀️

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Sim said:

If neither ballet appears in the season announcement I will be writing to Alex Beard and Kevin O’Hare to ask why.  

I would quite like to see someone from the press asking these questions too.

• Like 5

Didn't Sambe say in his LBC interview that there would be a McMillan triple and an Ashton triple?  I wonder if the later though would be in the Linbury as I think that previously there had been a planned Ashton programme there.  If so, I hope it is of (rare) works long not seen at the Covent Garden address.  

• Like 3

Oh please, couldn't we have more just dancing? I get really tired of all these long stories and elaborate costumes.

Serenade

Symphony in C

Agon

4 Temperaments

Symphonic Variations

Scenes de Ballet

Monotones

Shades from Bayadere

Chroma

Asphodel Meadows

Les Noces

Rite of Spring

Song of the Earth

Serenade

Raymonda Act 3

Rhapsody

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 11

13 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Didn't Sambe say in his LBC interview that there would be a McMillan triple and an Ashton triple?  I wonder if the later though would be in the Linbury as I think that previously there had been a planned Ashton programme there.  If so, I hope it is of (rare) works long not seen at the Covent Garden address.  

I don't remember exactly if he gave actual predictions or just personal wishes. Here is the link to the public report:

Marcelino Sambe In Conversation with Sarah Crompton | 12th December 2022

Fyi: If you're a Member, the video of the whole talk is available via the LBC Members Only page

• Like 1