Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions/wishes

Guest oncnp
23 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I haven't looked into it but it could be that the "outliers" are related to the years when ACE's multi-year funding announcements fall.

Good thought. I believe they are negotiating the 10% cut in ACE funding as well as watching the (to this point) underperforming Cinderella revenue stream. The ROH may be working on Plan B (and C - Z)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Good thought. I believe they are negotiating the 10% cut in ACE funding as well as watching the (to this point) underperforming Cinderella revenue stream. The ROH may be working on Plan B (and C - Z)

Having done a quick check yesterday (whilst working out casts for all my Cinderella tickets...), I noticed that there are only a couple of performances that are now "underperforming"!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Having done a quick check yesterday (whilst working out casts for all my Cinderella tickets...), I noticed that there are only a couple of performances that are now "underperforming"!

Well 100+ tickets still available for all but 3 remaining performances and, in some cases, many more vacant seats mostly in the £150+ areas, does not present a pretty picture, unfortunately.

• Like 4

My thoughts about next season!:

• Given it's the Rachmaninov 150th anniversary year, I'm guessing it's possible we might see Rhapsody in a triple bill in the autumn. An obvious work to pair it with would be Symphonic Dances, but that would be a tricky decision to make.
  • It's a while since we saw a shorter Wheeldon work (Corybantic Games?), so I would predict we see one of those in a triple bill sometime next season
  • I really enjoyed Jess and Morgs' new works for Scottish Ballet and BRB this season, so given Kevin O'Hare often seems to go with the zeitgeist, I would think it's possible they might be doing something, even if it's only in the Linbury
  • Into pure wish-list territory now, I'd love to see, in no particular order:
  1. An Ashton double bill of The Dream and Daphnis and Chloe (imho the most beautiful hour of music ever written!)
  2. Manon
  3. Symphony in C
  4. Concerto
  5. Anything by Forsythe
  6. The first revival of The Cellist
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Mary said:

Corybantics is on in June!

I knew that, and I'm going to see it! I missed out an important word - I meant to say 'it's a while since we saw a NEW shorter Wheeldon work'. I must remember to proof read my words!

• Like 3

Onegin would head my wish list. It was the last ballet I saw before the first lockdown. Yasmine Naghdi was exquisite and I came away hoping I’d be able to see Onegin again very soon. 

• Like 8

I don't really have any predictions - though I am guessing Nutcracker.  I am wondering if The Dream and Daphnis and Chloe may be a possibility? Alice?

My wish list - I would love Swan Lake again. Giselle, Manon and any of the above. 

• Like 3

It's been a while since Don quixote was performed as well as Alice.  I'd love Bayadere but sounds unlikely as 1 or 2 people were offended last time.

Also definitely Manon. I'd like to see Naghdi get a chance at this role now she's danced the bedroom pas de deux. Also love Onegin and the casting would be amazing 

• Like 3

A vote for Onegin from me too.  And if not the full Bayadere, then I also would love to see the Shades on a triple bill.

Has anyone mentioned Monotones 1 & 2 yet?  I adore both of those.

Top of the wish list:  More classical triple bills please.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Has anyone mentioned Monotones 1 & 2 yet?  I adore both of those.

Top of the wish list:  More classical triple bills please.  

yes to both! 

weren’t we due an Ashton bill of some some sort that included monotones (can’t remember if 1 or both?) that was cancelled due to covid in spring/summer 2020?

I feel doing the shades as a separate act (as much as I love it) feels like giving in and so part of me wouldn’t want to see it as that would signal Bayadere as three acts is no more…

Something really radical I’d like to see is a whole year of nothing that has seen the main stage for 5 years (easier to do now given the covid years)! Doubt it’ll ever happen though…

• Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 21:26, JNC said:

Ashton triple (something we’ve not seen in a while like Symphonic Variations, Daphnis and Chloe, Birthday offering maybe, at least do a Balanchine/Ashton combo triple!)

I saw an Ashton triple bill in person for the first time last season (2021/22) and it remains firmly in my top 3 theatre experience!

• Like 5

My Wish list would be:

Swan Lake

Onegin

La Fille Mal Gardée!?!?

Alices Adventures in Wonderland 

La Bayadere 

The Cellist would be great

Jewels 

Don Quixote 

Marguerite and Armand

No nutcracker (that’s definitely not happening)

• Like 3

I love hearing everyone’s ideas! I am a longtime ballet lover but fairly new to the RB repertoire (American fan girl from afar!). I have recently subscribed to the RB stream and have spent the last months devouring all the ballet I can get my hands on. It is a wonderful thing for this of us who live across the pond!  

A few questions to this group:  

1). Does anyone know if new productions (Cinderella?) will eventually make it into the stream, and if so, how long it will take? 

2) Since I don’t have a long term history with RB repertoire, there are a few ballets that I have never seen mentioned and so just wonder if RB ever does them, and if not, why not? 
- La Sylphide?

- Les Sylphides? 
- Le Corsaire? (Is this because ENB does it?) 

- Jewels? (Although I did see that Diamonds was part of the Jubilee last fall) 

And I echo the desire to see La Fille - I just love that piece and it has so much wonderful (and unique) choreography, both for the corps and the leads. I would hate to see it disappear.  

I also would love to see Sylvia show up again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginny said:

I love hearing everyone’s ideas! I am a longtime ballet lover but fairly new to the RB repertoire (American fan girl from afar!). I have recently subscribed to the RB stream and have spent the last months devouring all the ballet I can get my hands on. It is a wonderful thing for this of us who live across the pond!  

1). Does anyone know if new productions (Cinderella?) will eventually make it into the stream, and if so, how long it will take? 

2) Since I don’t have a long term history with RB repertoire, there are a few ballets that I have never seen mentioned and so just wonder if RB ever does them, and if not, why not? 
- La Sylphide?

- Les Sylphides? 
- Le Corsaire? (Is this because ENB does it?) 

- Jewels? (Although I did see that Diamonds was part of the Jubilee last fall) 

And I echo the desire to see La Fille - I just love that piece and it has so much wonderful (and unique) choreography, both for the corps and the leads. I would hate to see it disappear.  

I also would love to see Sylvia show up again. 

Hi Ginny

Re your rep queries I can fill you in a bit and others may be more knowledgeable and add more.

Les Sylphides has been in the ROH rep in the past but hasn't been performed for quite a few years. As far as I know it is an artistic decision not to perform it (too old fashioned?), not that it's been officially retired from rep. 

La Sylphide, again the RB had a wonderful production by Johan Kobborg with great Danish sets and costumes which have now gone to Sarasota Ballet for their new Kobborg La Sylphide. So it looks as if the RB will have to acquire a new production if they want to stage it.

Le Corsaire, the RB have never performed it and probably won't now that ENB have it.  Also, for some reason it's never been thought to be a good 'fit' for the RB though Nureyev did introduce the famous pas de deux which was performed terrifically by Yasmine Naghdi and Vadim Muntagirov for the Fonteyn gala a few years ago.

The RB do perform the full Jewels and it was done not that long ago  (2018?) so I'm sure is still in their current rep.

I'm with you as regards both Fille and Sylvia. Fingers crossed for the new season announcement which is supposed to be on the 26th April. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

The RB do perform the full Jewels and it was done not that long ago  (2018?) so I'm sure is still in their current rep.

I'm with you as regards both Fille and Sylvia. Fingers crossed for the new season announcement which is supposed to be on the 26th April. 

The database says April 2017 so you were very close

Welcome to Royal Opera House Collections (rohcollections.org.uk)

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, Ginny said:

As you can tell, the vast majority of the current content is from previously released DVDs. Winter's Tale is an exception. The most recent production is Dante Project which I think was added just before it's DVD release in January of this year. DVDs usually take about a year. 

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, capybara said:

Apparently, there is an Introduction to the 2023/24 Season evening on the 27th April.

The Press Release usually precedes this event.

Patrons only?

I’d love to see Les Sylphides as part of a bill but it seems increasingly unlikely given the amount of time since they last performed it and the fact they’d have to commission/acquire a new staging with all the costs that entails (costumes, sets etc). 

Would be so intrigued to see it as part of a ballet russes inspired bill. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’d love to see Les Sylphides as part of a bill but it seems increasingly unlikely given the amount of time since they last performed it and the fact they’d have to commission/acquire a new staging with all the costs that entails (costumes, sets etc). 

So would I. (And I notice that cost never seems to be the slightest issue when staging big new 3-acters...).

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, JNC said:

Would be great be unlikely. Les Sylphides would be a great addition, wonder if they would get Will Tuckett, Alexi Ratmansky, Johan Koburg or someone else to produce it.

2 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Would be great be unlikely. Les Sylphides would be a great addition, wonder if they would get Will Tuckett, Alexi Ratmansky, Johan Koburg or someone else to produce it.

Why would they do that when the Royal Ballet has expert stagers already within its ranks?

BRB, previously SWRB, used to do Les Sylphides but I don’t think since the company moved to Birmingham in 1990.

• Like 1

Just now, Jan McNulty said:

Why would they do that when the Royal Ballet has expert stagers already within its ranks?

BRB, previously SWRB, used to do Les Sylphides but I don’t think since the company moved to Birmingham in 1990.

They have great stagers but if they are bringing this in to the repertoire  they might use a big name, maybe a new production to get the ball rolling. I don’t know what they would do but they will either spend loads of money or just use another existing production. Hope something like this happens soon.

2 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

They have great stagers but if they are bringing this in to the repertoire  they might use a big name, maybe a new production to get the ball rolling. I don’t know what they would do but they will either spend loads of money or just use another existing production. Hope something like this happens soon.

Why?  I’m afraid Les Sylphides doesn’t float my boat and unless it was a major revival of a full length work why on earth would you bring in a big-name, presumably expensive, outside stager?

Last time I saw Les Sylphides it just looked dated and tame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Why?  I’m afraid Les Sylphides doesn’t float my boat and unless it was a major revival of a full length work why on earth would you bring in a big-name, presumably expensive, outside stager?

Last time I saw Les Sylphides it just looked dated and tame.

I don’t know why I thought that but I don’t think they would do that. 

I love it! 
I think the last time I saw it was RBS students in the Linbury …about 3-4 years ago? 
The theme may be a little outdated but when danced properly and the correct softness of style it can be a beautiful piece just as a piece of pure dance. 

• Like 6

Just now, Benjamin said:

I don’t know why I thought that but I don’t think they would do that. 

But if they were to make a big production I hope they would get John Macfarlane his Giselle, Swan Lake, Royal Operas Magic Flute are stunning. Also his nutcracker for BRB (reproduced by The Australian Ballet) is truly magical.

Actually I’ve just remembered the students performed in the main Auditorium …same time as “Cunning  Little Vixen” not the Linbury…on one of those rare occasions had the main stage other than in July. 

• Like 2