Royal Ballet 2023/24 Season - predictions/wishes

Here to confirm that The Royal Opera House 23/24 season will be announced in a week, Confirmed Via Socials, here’s the post:

There’s just one week to go until we announce our 2023/24 Season! 

We have so many exciting things in store. Keep an eye on our socials for the announcement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/04/2023 at 12:36, Jan McNulty said:

The sets were definitely different (thank goodness) but I'm sure the costumes were the same.  If anyone can correct me on the point of the costumes please do.

Hi Janet, I meant to reply to you earlier when I first saw your post but ran out of battery and I can’t scroll through 6 pages to check if anyone did! I went to both the RB & BRB productions, and checked the RB DVD and BRB tv broadcast before replying, and the answer is - different costumes for both productions, definitely.

Where it’s a bit confusing, I presume, is that the publicity photo and picture on the programme (and part of the website) has Celine Gittens wearing the RB Act 1 dress leaping in a grand jete from the act 1 solo, but in the ballet she never wears this dress- the BRB costume is a red one with a halter neck and no pattern around the middle. I assume they did that in order to get the photos for advertising, posters and the programme printers ready long before the costumes were finished. There is also a video clip of two of their principals (I believe it was Hirata and Dingman in the video but am only 95% certain so don’t quote me on that) performing part of the Act 3 pas de deux as advance publicity about two years before the premiere and they too used the Act 3 costumes borrowed from the RB production just for that promotional clip, but for the actual performances they had the BRB costumes with different designs.

Same designer for both RB & BRB  -Tim Harley - as you mentioned. And of course, BRB’s Amour is now a male character with new choreography, so has a different costume to the RB’s female Amour in a tutu. I liked the BRB costumes more as they captured the informal feel of people in a small town, while still being flattering and attractive - the ones for Mercedes and the Fandango dancers for example, are particularly well designed. That was a fantastic run - I hope BRB will do Don Q again fairly soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alison said:

*Is* Amour with different choreography in the BRB version?  I thought it looked very familiar.

Yes, Acosta created new, technically difficult [and looks absolutely exhausting] choreography for BRB with Tzu-Chao Chou dancing it on the first night- it looks like it was created with Chou in mind  (and I also saw Max Maslen dance it very well in an alternate cast).

The standard Amour choreography for a woman (usually a petite dancer portraying a female Cupid-type character) is very distinctive with lots of releves into  attitude with changes of direction, turns,  little runs on pointe onto attitude, more turns and finishing with another attitude (in front) pose etc. I’ve seen umpteen Don Q performances in various productions with the standard choreography, and the BRB choreography is definitely new (and very difficult to do without falling over!) and Chou and Maslen do it really well. The Amour solo is quite popular for young students at competitions too; it’s not too difficult but of course requires hard work to make it look effortless and impeccable while remaining in character. 

There are quite a lot of recordings of the standard choreography online, including Anna Rose O’Sullivan in the RB current version in a tutu. You can compare it with Chou’s while it’s still available on BBC iPlayer. 😊💻🖥

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not especially to do with the ROH next season but I didn't know where else to put it and it didn't seem worth starting a new thread. I've been thinking for a while of trying to renew my ROH Friends subscription with the gift certificates I've accumulated from performances cancelled or changed. However, I thought I would have to phone and I didn't know whether to contact Friends or box office so kept putting it off. Anyway, today I signed in and went to renew membership and there was the opportunity to do it online, just follow the prompts and decide which certificates you wanted to use. Any that were only partially used you had the remainder credited to your account as if you were using them to buy tickets. It was very easy and straightforward and saved me using my bank account, so I thought sharing this info. might help those who were also considering doing this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, Lesley said:

A principal was asked at the Stage Door when he could be seen again and mentioned Don Q in the Autumn!

Thank you. Great news ( if it doesn't change) but there goes the bank account 

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

It's probably another of my minority opinions, but Don Q is one of those ballets I can take or leave. I enjoy it very well when I'm there, but I won't feel compelled to see it multiple times.

ditto. Depends on pricing, casting, and if I can make the dates. Wouldn’t be a “must see” for me. Is it a crowd pleaser that sells well (more than say Sylvia, Bayadere or La Fille?)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JNC said:

ditto. Depends on pricing, casting, and if I can make the dates. Wouldn’t be a “must see” for me. Is it a crowd pleaser that sells well (more than say Sylvia, Bayadere or La Fille?)

Not wanting to seem cynical but if it outsells the above it is probably on the strength of Carlos Acosta's name as he is someone many non regular ballet goers have heard of and usually like. Having said that I do enjoy Don Q (though I don't like the moveable sets which always look dangerous) and will probably book several casts. Wasn't Coralles due to dance it last time then he was injured and didn't? Would love to see him dance it, especially if he was partnering Osipova like they did in the Nureyev gala Laurentia. That was stunning and I'm sure Don Q  will be even more so.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Wasn't Coralles due to dance it last time then he was injured and didn't? Would love to see him dance it, especially if he was partnering Osipova like they did in the Nureyev gala Laurentia. That was stunning and I'm sure Don Q  will be even more so.

They would indeed bring fireworks to Don Q; I would certainly be there. And, yes, they did rather bring the house down at the Nureyev gala.

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Having said that I do enjoy Don Q (though I don't like the moveable sets which always look dangerous)

I'm not too keen on the moveable sets either. Or the costumes. All a bit of a beige-fest. I much prefer the BRB sets and costumes, which bring much more of the colour and vibrancy that, for me, should characterise Don Q.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I'm not too keen on the moveable sets either. Or the costumes. All a bit of a beige-fest. I much prefer the BRB sets and costumes, which bring much more of the colour and vibrancy that, for me, should characterise Don Q.

Yes, me too, Scheherezade. The BRB vision scene is an especial favourite with those beautiful fronds creating an otherworldly atmosphere. Far superior to the RB hideous, garish tropical flowers 

Edited by jmhopton
spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lesley said:

A principal was asked at the Stage Door when he could be seen again and mentioned Don Q in the Autumn!

I wonder whether they could be starting the season with Don Q? That would make sense of something I heard Hayward say at the stage door last Monday. She said that after her last Cinderella performance she wouldn't be dancing on the ROH stage again until November. She doesn't dance Kitri, does she? So if Don Q opened the season it'd fit with her not dancing at the start of the season. Though of course it could just be that they're dancing Manon for the first 2 months & she's in one of the last casts to dance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I wonder whether they could be starting the season with Don Q? That would make sense of something I heard Hayward say at the stage door last Monday. She said that after her last Cinderella performance she wouldn't be dancing on the ROH stage again until November. She doesn't dance Kitri, does she? So if Don Q opened the season it'd fit with her not dancing at the start of the season. Though of course it could just be that they're dancing Manon for the first 2 months & she's in one of the last casts to dance.

The fact that RB Principals are not on stage for half a year at a time is crazy - and Frankie is by no means the only one.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

The fact that RB Principals are not on stage for half a year at a time is crazy - and Frankie is by no means the only one.

Bear in mind, though, that apart from the 2nd run of Beauty, the only RB offering until September is the McGregor/Corybantic Games/Anastasia triple bill. Although I'm surprised that Frankie hasn't been cast in the McGregor as I thought he was rather keen on her.

17 minutes ago, capybara said:

At least she will be dancing at RB's Japan tour (Romeo and Juliet, Prima).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Wasn't Coralles due to dance it last time then he was injured and didn't? Would love to see him dance it, especially if he was partnering Osipova like they did in the Nureyev gala Laurentia. That was stunning and I'm sure Don Q  will be even more so.

Laurentia was the most I've enjoyed Osipova out of everything I've seen her do (not having been so keen on her in much of the rest) so maybe I'd like her as Kitri. I doubt I'll be seeing her though as if ticket prices for Don Q are going to be as high as SB & Cinderella this season then I won't be able to afford to see too many casts. One of the downsides of the ticket price hikes is it makes it much harder to either afford or justify booking for casts one isn't certain whether or not one will like. At £70 a ticket I can't just give-it-a-go.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Laurentia was the most I've enjoyed Osipova out of everything I've seen her do (not having been so keen on her in much of the rest) so maybe I'd like her as Kitri. I doubt I'll be seeing her though as if ticket prices for Don Q are going to be as high as SB & Cinderella this season then I won't be able to afford to see too many casts. One of the downsides of the ticket price hikes is it makes it much harder to either afford or justify booking for casts one isn't certain whether or not one will like. At £70 a ticket I can't just give-it-a-go.

I can confirm that Osipova is a wonderful Kitri!  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Bear in mind, though, that apart from the 2nd run of Beauty, the only RB offering until September is the McGregor/Corybantic Games/Anastasia triple bill. Although I'm surprised that Frankie hasn't been cast in the McGregor as I thought he was rather keen on her.

Aren’t any of them appearing in Carlos at 50?

9 hours ago, Lesley said:

So does that mean that that Don Q will open the season, before Manon and Maddaddam? And obviously before the nutcracker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

54 minutes ago, Sim said:

I can confirm that Osipova is a wonderful Kitri!  

Yes, if you haven't seen her Kitri, Dawnstar, you really should. She is pure dynamite. She took London by storm around 15 years ago when she and Ivan Vasiliev came over with the Bolshoi as two unknowns and returned home as global superstars. Clement Crisp said, iirc, that anyone who was at that performance would never forget it and that's pretty much true. I really would put her at the top of your list for Don Q.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Yes, if you haven't seen her Kitri, Dawnstar, you really should. She is pure dynamite. She took London by storm around 15 years ago when she and Ivan Vasiliev came over with the Bolshoi as two unknowns and returned home as global superstars. Clement Crisp said, iirc, that anyone who was at that performance would never forget it and that's pretty much true. I really would put her at the top of your list for Don Q.

I too was at that first performance with Ivan Vasiliev at the Coliseum and I've never seen anticipation or a performance like it. Audible gasps going round the auditorium and the shouting and cheering at the end like I've never heard before or since. One man nearly fell out of his box as he was jumping up and down screaming. Possibly the nearest thing to early Nureyev performances. Together they were dynamite and even today she is my number one Kitri and I'll be keeping everything crossed for Coralles as he's possibly the nearest the RB have to Vasiliev and to creating that amazing partnership magic.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I too was at that first performance with Ivan Vasiliev at the Coliseum and I've never seen anticipation or a performance like it. Audible gasps going round the auditorium and the shouting and cheering at the end like I've never heard before or since. One man nearly fell out of his box as he was jumping up and down screaming. Possibly the nearest thing to early Nureyev performances. Together they were dynamite and even today she is my number one Kitri and I'll be keeping everything crossed for Coralles as he's possibly the nearest the RB have to Vasiliev and to creating that amazing partnership magic.

They were extraordinary, weren't they? I have high hopes for Osipova and Corrales. Keeping all my fingers firmly crossed!

• Like 2

As though to whet the appetite for next season, Bolle has posted a short clip on his instagram story of Kaneko and Muntagirov rehearsing Don Q for his upcoming Friends show. Unlikely they are cast together on ROH stage, but it seems they have started getting rehearsal time in!

• Like 1