Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Sim said:

Today at the end of his solo Sambe did a series of turns en place instead of the usual manège around the stage. Very good they were, too!  

He’d obviously had a word with conductor Barry Wordsworth because there was a much bigger orchestral accelerando than usual at the end of the solo. Quite exciting!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I wonder if you are talking about the end of the Coda? The bit where some dancers go round the stage in opposite directions and jump occasionally?  Will Bracewell did turns in the centre and Fumi danced around him? If so, this is an alternative variation I have seen used before. In fact, Federico Bonelli did this in the 2016 production that is on dvd with Lauren Cuthbertson,  If it's not this one, is there another difference I missed? Wouldn't surprise me if I did as I was rather spellbound! 

Yes, this is exactly the moment. I loved seeing Will do this, so I was sitting and waiting for Matt Ball to do the same - and he didn't. Neither Vadim. They both did the other version. I was just so surprised I wondered what was happening. Both versions are absolutely fine of course, just wanted to make the observation.   

Ah, glad to know I didn't miss anything else. One thing I am pleased about is that in the first PDD, the bit where the prince holds out his hand the the Sugar plum steps towards him, turns around and then does the same from the other side and then twice more was that particular choreography. There is another version where instead of turning round (sorry, I don't know the technical name!) the prince pushes the Sugar Plum around with her leg extended (that's in the Bonelli/Cuthbertson version). I really do not like that as much! You can see the bit I am talking here from the recent stream: 

https://www.facebook.com/royaloperahouse/videos/557214405822390

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

Today at the end of his solo Sambe did a series of turns en place instead of the usual manège around the stage. Very good they were, too!  

I do like that we are seeing little differences. It makes it much more interesting.

• Like 3

Just musing thoughtfully here, but has there every been any choreography for the SPF solo that actually fits in with the music?  I've seen two or three different productions, and on each occasion it looks as though the dancer is doing an awful lot of steps, most of which are out of time to what is being played.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Just musing thoughtfully here, but has there every been any choreography for the SPF solo that actually fits in with the music?  I've seen two or three different productions, and on each occasion it looks as though the dancer is doing an awful lot of steps, most of which are out of time to what is being played.  

How interesting. i have never really liked it: this very basic explanation might make me understand why!

When I saw Marianela Nuñez dance the SPF solo in the brief run of 2020 Nutcrackers I was amazed at how well her steps matched and drew out the music. Haven't seen Sarah Lamb dance it live yet, but looking forward to putting that right on Wednesday! 

• Like 2

Blimey, Magri is having no luck with getting to perform the Sugar Plum Fairy. Last year her supposed-to-be debut performance was the first one to be cancelled due to covid & her 2nd performance was also cancelled, so she just got a single last-minute performance in January, & now this year she's losing another performance so will again only get to do a single performance (assuming her other one on 6th January doesn't also get cancelled due to strikes!).

• Like 2

From the ROH:

"The performance at 12.30pm Christmas Eve, 24 December 2022 has been cancelled due to last-minute changes to train timetables announced today which negatively impacts the availability of staff. Ticket buyers have been contacted."

10 minutes ago, MJW said:

From the ROH:

"The performance at 12.30pm Christmas Eve, 24 December 2022 has been cancelled due to last-minute changes to train timetables announced today which negatively impacts the availability of staff. Ticket buyers have been contacted."

Oh no. I feel so sorry for all of those people who had this as their Christmas treat. 😥

• Like 9

On 18/12/2022 at 14:14, emmarose said:

Oh no, poor thing, hopefully it was just something that pulled her up and made her a little tentative for the rest of it, as opposed to an actual injury. Hopefully she's fine for Beauty (which seems to coming around so soon).

Another issue with dry ice, as we're on the topic, is for asthmatics. I'm an ex dancer/performer and was in a few productions where it was used and it used to trigger my asthma quite badly. I learnt to hold my breath and keep as far away from it as I could beforehand, so if the stage was pumped with it before the second act curtain rose, I wouldn't go on the stage until the last possible moment.

Dry ice affects me in much the same way and I'm only in the audience! It makes me cough... 

• Like 2

Just seen a wonderful performance of Nutcracker with Francesca Hayward as a light as a feather Sugar Plum Fairy.

But, pray tell me, Ballet experts, what is the significance of the two stuffed lions that come on with Saint Nick? I don't remember them in the Christmas tradition. Am intrigued.

I watched the behind the scenes video which is on streaming before I went and was amazed to discover that the tree is flat!  Just shows how much I had been taken in by the magic as I always imagined it to be a perfect 3D Christmas tree ( and smelling of pine!)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MJW said:

From the ROH:

3 hours ago, junedancer said:

Yes I have been told it is the strikes.

Are you sure?  My understanding had been that the Christmas Eve (and onwards) strikes weren't actually due to affect much in the way of scheduled train services.  And the ROH doesn't mention strikes.  Given that strikes have to be announced two weeks in advance, last-minute changes don't seem to fit in with that scenario.

29 minutes ago, alison said:

Are you sure?  My understanding had been that the Christmas Eve (and onwards) strikes weren't actually due to affect much in the way of scheduled train services.  And the ROH doesn't mention strikes.  Given that strikes have to be announced two weeks in advance, last-minute changes don't seem to fit in with that scenario.

The announcement is on the "What's On" page What's on (roh.org.uk)

Edited by oncnp

58 minutes ago, alison said:

last trains Christmas Eve are going to be not much after 3pm

1 hour ago, alison said:

Remember that although the strikes are announced at least two weeks in advance the timetable is planned often less than a week in advance and for Christmas Eve would probably be even closer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

The announcement is on the "What's On" page What's on (roh.org.uk)

No mention of strikes.

5 hours ago, alison said:

No mention of strikes.

I think you’re being rather naive. 

The Company and the Opera House staff; dancers, musicians, technicians, caterers, front of house, support staff, physios, security……, I could go on but won’t, have all got to get home. 

Many had planned to see, and are still hoping to join, family and friends for Christmas. Quite a few travelling some distance by plane, train or on busy roads.

I appreciate that it’s disappointing for those who have tickets for the cancelled performance.  

(I should just say that I support the strikers, rail workers, nurses, postal workers and the others.)

I think that the ROH has made the right decision.

Edited by RobR
Clarification
  • Like 13

37 minutes ago, AllAboutTheJourney said:

The main page of the ROH website has slightly different wording and refers to the ongoing industrial action on the railways. 

Interestingly also says " Ticket buyers have been contacted and credit will be applied to their account."

It looks as if they are trying to sidestep issuing refunds, which they will do for cancelations under section 1.2 of the T&C of Sale 

12 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

last trains Christmas Eve are going to be not much after 3pm

make that not much after 2pm (in either direction) to/from London. I could have just about done it via the Northern line and a tram ride, but I suspect many couldn't