Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

3 hours ago, emmarose said:

What shocking form from those in the audience. 

It was, but some of us shouted them down and told them to shut up.  I admired Yuhui so much because she didn't let it get to her...the best revenge was to give a great performance, and that's just what she did.  I am sure she understood that the hard core Osipova fans would be disappointed, and that the booing wasn't aimed at her personally. She got such huge applause at the end that I'm sure she'd forgotten about it by then.  She also got prolonged and loud applause when she first appeared onstage so I am sure that gave her confidence.

I remember a couple of years ago Sarah Lamb replaced Osipova at quite short notice (maybe Giselle, I can't remember) and said on Facebook something to the effect of 'sorry folks, you are stuck with me tonight.  I know you'll be disappointed but I'll do my best.'   Well hey, that's all we can ask of any dancer.  

• Like 15

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Tebasile said:

This may be wishful thinking but it would be lovely if she could be partnered by Matthew Ball if Clarke can’t make it. 

I'd love that but suspect it's not that likely as they rarely seem to get cast together. If I had to place a bet I'd bet on Hirano, given he's just been partnering her in Nutcracker. Though I'll be disappointed if it is because I'm planning to see him with Lamb in May & given I'm only seeing 3 SB casts this year I'd rather not have the same Prince for 2 of the 3. Oh well, at the moment Clarke's still down for 19th & Nutcracker on 14th so fingers crossed...

47 minutes ago, Sim said:

It was, but some of us shouted them down and told them to shut up.  I admired Yuhui so much because she didn't let it get to her...the best revenge was to give a great performance, and that's just what she did.  I am sure she understood that the hard core Osipova fans would be disappointed, and that the booing wasn't aimed at her personally. She got such huge applause at the end that I'm sure she'd forgotten about it by then.

I remember a couple of years ago Sarah Lamb replaced Osipova at quite short notice (maybe Giselle, I can't remember) and said on Facebook something to the effect of 'sorry folks, you are stuck with me tonight.  I know you'll be disappointed but I'll do my best.'   Well hey, that's all we can ask for of any dancer.  

Good for Yuhui, as you say it's the best revenge.

I can imagine fans being upset or disappointed, but it's not the other dancers fault, and every respect should be given.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

Good for Yuhui, as you say it's the best revenge.

I can imagine fans being upset or disappointed, but it's not the other dancers fault, and every respect should be given.

Absolutely.  I mean you book for a particular person or pairing but it's not the replacement's fault you're not getting the dancer you wanted.  I've booked for a cast I like before now and gone and found my preferred dancer wasn't performing.  It's life and it happens.  

• Like 3

Was booked to see Baryshnikov guesting with RB in R and J. He was ill or injured... can’t remember it’s a long time ago. They put on derek Deane. Many talents but not a great Romeo when they had Eagling, Wall, Dowell ... but of course we applauded properly it’s very bad form to jeer not cheer. 

Edited by Suffolkgal
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

Absolutely.  I mean you book for a particular person or pairing but it's not the replacement's fault you're not getting the dancer you wanted.  I've booked for a cast I like before now and gone and found my preferred dancer wasn't performing.  It's life and it happens.  

This has happened to me. Yes, it is disappointing but injury/illness is common and I do accept that, when I book a cast, I may not get to see who I booked for. I have always still enjoyed myself very much. :) 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 2

I booked for Pavarotti performances three times before I actually got to see him. It was worth the wait. It was L’Elisir d’Amore, and a “furtiva lacrima” can still roll down my cheek when I remember how he sang that aria.  

• Like 5

On 11/01/2023 at 11:01, Dawnstar said:

I'd love that but suspect it's not that likely as they rarely seem to get cast together. If I had to place a bet I'd bet on Hirano, given he's just been partnering her in Nutcracker. Though I'll be disappointed if it is because I'm planning to see him with Lamb in May & given I'm only seeing 3 SB casts this year I'd rather not have the same Prince for 2 of the 3. Oh well, at the moment Clarke's still down for 19th & Nutcracker on 14th so fingers crossed...

As for a possible Magri and Ball casting I don’t think the problem is that they don’t get casted very often but that they would have a short time to prepare given he’s in Tokyo right now. It would be lovely though and they have done guests together which bodes well for her and their director to fell secure in casting him. I believe he also replaced Hay for O’Sullivans debut very last minute, right? 

I wouldn’t be mad if they go with Hirano, plus I liked those 2 in The Nutcracker.

My hopes though are that Clarke is good to go by the 19th and no more change needs to be made.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ingrid said:

As for a possible Magri and Ball casting I don’t think the problem is that they don’t get casted very often but that they would have a short time to prepare given he’s in Tokyo right now.

Thanks for the clarification. Since I got kicked off Instagram last year I never know when dancers are guesting elsewhere unless someone mentions it on here.

On 11/01/2023 at 13:46, Sim said:

It was, but some of us shouted them down and told them to shut up.  I admired Yuhui so much because she didn't let it get to her...the best revenge was to give a great performance, and that's just what she did.  I am sure she understood that the hard core Osipova fans would be disappointed, and that the booing wasn't aimed at her personally. She got such huge applause at the end that I'm sure she'd forgotten about it by then.  She also got prolonged and loud applause when she first appeared onstage so I am sure that gave her confidence.

I remember a couple of years ago Sarah Lamb replaced Osipova at quite short notice (maybe Giselle, I can't remember) and said on Facebook something to the effect of 'sorry folks, you are stuck with me tonight.  I know you'll be disappointed but I'll do my best.'   Well hey, that's all we can ask of any dancer.  

If Sarah Lamb had to replace Natalia Osipova in a show I’d booked, I wouldn’t be disappointed at all- far from it. Even if I had booked and seen Sarah already. Love their dancing equally, and such a typically humble statement from Sarah.

The booing is disgusting and says more about how vulgar those who were doing it were than the actual performance of the artist they were targeting. If they didn’t approve of the casting, they could have returned their tickets for a refund, exchanged dates for another performance (perhaps one when their fave star had returned) or just not turn up - they wouldn’t be missed. 

If they did want to go to see someone else/others in the cast, they should be civil throughout. It’s also disrespectful to the other performers to boo and jeer, as it puts a sour note on the show for everyone.

Incidentally, I wasn’t at that particular show, but I attended another date that run when Ms Choe replaced Osipova as Aurora, and it was one of the best Aurora performances that I’ve seen on a London stage-  the character, the storytelling, her balances, her turns, and the elevation were all spot on. Better than some I’ve seen from Ms Osipova’s original company and other high profile dancers.

I did see Osipova’s Auroras later in subsequent seasons, and while she was good, Choe’s performance was in no way less stellar. Far from it. Aurora is one of those roles where not overdoing it - acting or pyrotechnics- is just as important as mastering the technical difficulty. (I’ve seen a star performer overdoing it with quadruple pirouettes and going for sky high jumps which led to her falling behind the tempo - the orchestra then had to wait for her- and it wasn’t just strange to watch, it was painful. I applauded, of course, not enthusiastically, but politely.)

• Like 6