Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

As Clarke supposed to be replacing Corrales in SB on 19th I'm now wondering if we're going to end up with a third Prince Florimund by the time that performance actually happens!

perhaps because Reece has to rehearse Beauty for an earlier start date and with a different partner, that is a priority 

• Like 1

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, PeterS said:

perhaps because Reece has to rehearse Beauty for an earlier start date and with a different partner, that is a priority 

do we know if it’s Reece or Natalia that is indisposed?  

Either way this could cause a problem for her show in New York in 11 days time … Reece was supposed to participate 

https://youtu.be/vf6uB_WxIdY

Edited by FionaE
More info
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Wouldn't that have caused a Nutcracker cast change to have been made sooner though? At the same time as the SB cast change was made? I don't know, it just seems a bit unlikely that it would suddenly be decided on the day of a Nutcracker performance that Clarke was too busy to do it, whereas on the day illness or injury seems more likely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterS said:

There’s no information in the cast change email so all we know is neither are dancing tonight which is disappointing since it was the pairing I had been excited to see. Fingers crossed they will still dance the final Nutcracker on 14th. 

Kevin may provide some more information when he makes his front of curtain announcement - or perhaps not!

And, amid all the speculation, how about kudos to Marianela and Vadim who have obviously had to step in at short notice…….

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, capybara said:

Kevin may provide some more information when he makes his front of curtain announcement - or perhaps not!

And, amid all the speculation, how about kudos to Marianela and Vadim who have obviously had to step in at short notice…….

And if he does would someone kindly report?🙏

7 hours ago, Amanda Liu said:

Nela and Vadim are replacing Natalia Osipova and Reece Clarke tonight…

That is very disappointing for Osipova/Clarke fans. I hope they are ok. Nunez/Muntagirov are very high profile, popular dancers and I hope people will not be disappointed - I certainly wouldn't be. :) 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Kevin said Reece has sustained an injury.

As has the tree…again! 

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well for Sleeping Beauty, let alone his second Nutcracker. Probably more available Nutcracker Princes to stand in than SB Princes though. If he can't do SB then I hope there'll be enough time to rehearse another Prince in rather than have to do a full pair swap, as it'll be very disappointing if Magri's Aurora debut gets cancelled.

By the way, did anyone see Magri & Hirano's single Nutcracker performance last week? I haven't seen any comments about it.

The tree seems be competing with some of the dancers as to who can get injured more often!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well for Sleeping Beauty, let alone his second Nutcracker. Probably more available Nutcracker Princes to stand in than SB Princes though. If he can't do SB then I hope there'll be enough time to rehearse another Prince in rather than have to do a full pair swap, as it'll be very disappointing if Magri's Aurora debut gets cancelled.

By the way, did anyone see Magri & Hirano's single Nutcracker performance last week? I haven't seen any comments about it.

The tree seems be competing with some of the dancers as to who can get injured more often!

I saw Magri and Hirano, yes. They were stunning, although that is the first time I have seen the RB Nutcracker live so my frame of reference is limited. 

Magri was strong yet delicate and her performance quality was, in my opinion, excellent. Hirano I felt was fantastic technically but I didn’t get as much from him in terms of emotion or performance. Nitpicking though - he was very impressive.

Magri slipped a tiny bit but recovered well - it felt like the kind of issue Nunez had which was discussed above. Not as bad as the poor female dancer in the Spanish who went straight down at one point but impressively jumped back

up within a split second!

Overall I just loved it - it was a pretty special night seeing one of my DC on that stage and aside from that the whole ballet is just beautiful of course. The second act in particular was just mesmerising. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

This may be wishful thinking but it would be lovely if she could be partnered by Matthew Ball if Clarke can’t make it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

As has the tree…again! 

After all the drama....how was the actual performance?

I've been overcome with a sense of déjà vu today - a year ago today, Osipova and Clarke were supposed to be dancing Romeo & Juliet.  They had to pull out of that one - was it due to Covid, or something else?  And was it Nunez and/or Muntagirov who replaced them then?

EDIT: Just checked - Nunez and Bonelli.

Just now, alison said:

I've been overcome with a sense of déjà vu today - a year ago today, Osipova and Clarke were supposed to be dancing Romeo & Juliet.  They had to pull out of that one - was it due to Covid, or something else?  And was it Nunez and/or Muntagirov who replaced them then?

I don't think Nunez dances R&J with Muntagirov

I didn’t think bottles were usually allowed to be presented onstage, except for special commemorations.  Glad to see it happen, though.  Had I known, I might have given him a bottle after each of his Rudolfs…he certainly deserved them…and more!  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Sim said:

I didn’t think bottles were usually allowed to be presented onstage, except for special commemorations.  Glad to see it happen, though.  Had I known, I might have given him a bottle after each of his Rudolfs…he certainly deserved them…and more!  

I’ve seen a few bottles presented now, Matthew Ball as Rudolf was one.

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Perhaps not on stage, but he got at least one bottle of champaign for Mayerling....

16 hours ago, Rob S said:

As has the tree…again! 

Reminds me...I went on the Nutcracker backstage tour, and they said the tree had been completely re-wired this year.  

27 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Reminds me...I went on the Nutcracker backstage tour, and they said the tree had been completely re-wired this year.  

The tree failing to rise is a problem with the stage, not the tree itself or its wiring (unfortunately).  As we know from Mayerling and the coffin not being lowered into the stage, the mechanics of the stage need a lot of work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/01/2023 at 12:59, Sim said:

Although he replaced her once in SB a few years ago with Yuhui Choe at short notice.  Despite boos from a few Osipova fans in the audience, Ms Choe came on and smashed it, and won everyone over by the end.  

What shocking form from those in the audience. 

• Like 9