Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Clarke will be dancing with Mayara?  Bit of height discrepancy there.  Much as I love both of these dancers, I bought a ticket for the 19th specifically to see Cesar in the role.  Very disappointing, but I hope he's ok.  :(

• Like 3

He is still showing as performing with Magri on 14th February. 
I was going to save Beauty until May with an eye to catching Takada and Hay ….and/or Naghdi and Ball but am tempted to see Corrales and Magri in exchange for one of the above if it turns out he’s fit by then! 

34 minutes ago, LinMM said:

He is still showing as performing with Magri on 14th February. 
I was going to save Beauty until May with an eye to catching Takada and Hay ….and/or Naghdi and Ball but am tempted to see Corrales and Magri in exchange for one of the above if it turns out he’s fit by then! 

I so hope Akane is able to dance by then because her performance with James Hay last time was unforgettable. They were both magnificent!

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Sim said:

I so hope Akane is able to dance by then because her performance with James Hay last time was unforgettable. They were both magnificent!

Hope so - I'm booked for their performance on the 11th May.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, annamk said:

I see on the RoH website that Mariko Sasaki and Joe Sissens have replaced Akane Takada and Cesar Corrales (Sugar Plum and Prince obviously) for both their upcoming Nutcracker performances. 

GRRRRR ...  I've missed their performances so far, and their new ones are the two dates I can't manage because I'm already booked elsewhere :(

Best wishes to Takada and Corrales for a full recovery from what ails them.

• Like 3

At the Royal Ballet the principals want to dance everything withoutit necessarily being a good idea.

Thus we could see this week Anne-Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino 
Sambé in Nutcracker’spas de deux. To my opinion Marcelino Sambé 
unfortunately do not have the sufficient size for such a role, we 
would like to see Anne-Rose O'Sullivan with another partner.

As for Marcelino Sambé, so exceptional in a more neo-classical 
repertoire, he is struggling here and seems really uncomfortable 
technically speaking in this role.

Anne-Rose O’Sullivan is a nice (and worried) dancer, we can see sheis struggling tofinish her variation and that she is concerned 
about her fouettés, we feel that she is tired and that it is time 
for all this to end.

Two generous performers to see in another repertoire.

Edited by MAX

I have to say, @MAX, that I disagree with you profoundly on Anna-Rose O'Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé.

Sambé's size (I am guessing you mean height) has nothing to do with whether he is technically capable of dancing the role.

O'Sullivan and Sambé are very good friends and when dancing together their comfort with and confidence in each other is clearly evident.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Sambé's size (I am guessing you mean height) has nothing to do with whether he is technically capable of dancing the role.

I agree.  I mean he's not my favourite prince (because I would always pick Vadim or Matthew Ball given a perfectly free choice - although next year I'd probably choose to see Joe Sissens) but I don't think he's bad at the role and definitely not too short or too small.  Anna-Rose is not a tall lady (I've seen her in other roles and Insight events) so it doesn't matter that he's not the tallest dancer out there.  As Sophoife said, they obviously have good chemistry together.  

• Like 1

On 04/01/2023 at 13:08, Sim said:

So Clarke will be dancing with Mayara?  Bit of height discrepancy there.  Much as I love both of these dancers, I bought a ticket for the 19th specifically to see Cesar in the role.  Very disappointing, but I hope he's ok.  :(

We have actually seen footage of those 2 dancing together so I think they will be just fine. And given that he is a solid partner should be great for Mayara’s debut in the role.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Legseleven said:

Was anyone lucky enough to see Claire Calvert & Nicol Edmonds as the Sugar Plum Fairy and her prince? 

I wasn’t able to see their performances but would love to hear from others that did.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Amanda Liu said:

Nela and Vadim are replacing Natalia Osipova and Reece Clarke tonight…

Interesting choice. They can do it in their sleep and are a safe pair of hands (and feet) but given they haven't danced it in a month  3 weeks and are opening Beauty on Monday I wonder why one of the "younger" couples (Calvert/Edmonds for example) wasn't given the show. 

Edited by oncnp

4 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Interesting choice. They can do it in their sleep and are a safe pair of hands (and feet) but given they haven't danced it in a month and are opening Beauty on Monday I wonder why one of the "younger" couples (Calvert/Edmonds for example) wasn't given the show. 

Maybe they want some stage practice in advance of the SB opening night.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Maybe they want some stage practice in advance of the SB opening night.  

Could well be. Just surprised KOH would risk his opening night Aurora

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Maybe Mr O'Hare feels you can only replace Osipova with a Nunez level of dancer

The thought had occured.....

Or, given that Marianela and Vadim are obviously rehearsing Sleeping Beauty together at the moment, casting them as replacements would be less disruptive in terms of the overall schedule - especially at what is obviously very short notice and in a week packed with stage calls for Beauty.

Best wishes to Osipova and Clarke in terms of whatever ails them. This last week of RB's Nutcracker has become very full of substitutes.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Maybe Mr O'Hare feels you can only replace Osipova with a Nunez level of dancer

Although he replaced her once in SB a few years ago with Yuhui Choe at short notice.  Despite boos from a few Osipova fans in the audience, Ms Choe came on and smashed it, and won everyone over by the end.  

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

Or, given that Marianela and Vadim are obviously rehearsing Sleeping Beauty together at the moment, casting them as replacements would be less disruptive in terms of the overall schedule - especially at what is obviously very short notice and in a week packed with stage calls for Beauty.

Best wishes to Osipova and Clarke in terms of whatever ails them. This last week of RB's Nutcracker has become very full of substitutes.

I think they run Nutcracker for so long, people do so many performances in a short space of time, I'm not surprised they get injured.  Also it's peak cold and flu season at the moment so even uninjured people may be catching things at the moment.  So I'm not surprised they're substituting people.  

Curses: a cast that I thought, on balance, I probably didn't want to see, so didn't book for, has been replaced virtually completely :(  And from what people have been saying above, there have been other cast changes I didn't know about either and would have liked to have seen :(

18 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

As Clarke supposed to be replacing Corrales in SB on 19th I'm now wondering if we're going to end up with a third Prince Florimund by the time that performance actually happens!

I hope not; I was looking forward to seeing Corrales, now I'm looking forward to seeing Clarke!

• Like 2

I was just going to hand in my ticket for Thursday, now I'm hanging on to it for a bit longer 😉 I'm sure many will disagree, but I think Natalia Osipova and Marianela Nunez do have equal prima ballerina stature, the management probably thought this was the best option.

• Like 2