Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/12/2022 at 04:55, Florine said:

Does anyone else feel a distinct 'absence' of snowflakes in the post lockdown ROH Wright production? They seem to have diminished from 24 to 16. For me this makes a big difference in terms of evoking snow gathering momentum and drifting, and definitely loses a chunk of the magic.  This is the ROH stage that can easily take 24 corps ... There seems to be too much scenery and not enough dancers. Ditto the toy soldier's diminished numbers - disproportionate to the mice. 

I appreciate this is extreme, but for me the transformation pdd between Clara and Hans Peter (with  it's crescendoing, richly emotional score) followed by the snowflakes, initially 'falling' is ones/twos, then gathering momentum to drift with the slowing of the score is the magical climax of the ballet - or was. Dropping 8 snowflakes on a stage that is more than adequate for 24, vitiated something so beautiful for me that I returned my second ticket.  

I wonder who the 'someone' was who thought that fewer snowflakes make the patterns more defined? I can't see it myself. I agree with Fonty - I love a proper snowfall over a light dusting. And with PeterS, prefer not to be reminded of climate change in such an otherwise glorious production. 

On 14/12/2022 at 18:16, RobR said:

😀😀 you can’t have too many 

Sadly, clearly you can .... down to 16 from the lockdown 24 ... 

• Like 2

On 16/12/2022 at 09:17, Geoff said:

There is a lot wrong. However as the tenor of this thread is universal delight it seems churlish to mention anything negative. But one place to start might be the comments just made on Instagram by Alastair Macaulay (scroll down the comments here, his appear near the top, also in discussion with others):-

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmGp8Kysc7A/

Thanks Geoff for sending me the comments, which I thought made a very interesting read.  

When I started watching the Nutcracker as a child, it was the London Festival Ballet production that I saw every year, because the RB didn't perform it at the time.  That always had Clara played by a child, a lovely opportunity for a student from the Arts Educational School. My memory is obviously hazy as to how she interacted, but as she would only have been about 11 or 12, she certainly wouldn't have been in pointe shoes.  The action after the party is obviously her dream sequence, but she was a spectator, rather than an active participant.  I loved it.

I know Nureyev choregraphed a version for the RB, which had Clara played by an adult and the Nutcracker transforming into the prince.  I assume that this was because he wanted much more dancing for the male principal.  How much this influenced other productions I have no idea.  I must admit when I finally got around to seeing the current RB version, I did get rather irritated by how much Clara was darting in and out amongst the rest of the cast.  I couldn't help thinking that she would have been standing gazing in wonderment, enthralled by the spectacle, rather than leaping around all over the place as if she was experiencing a sugar rush.  My first thoughts were that this made her seem a bit too childish, almost as if she was an overexcited 5 year old. 

Of course, we are all used to this now, but I do understand what Macauley is saying.  

• Like 1

In the 2007 Nutcracker, first year White Lodgers, Isabel Lubach and Julia Roscoe were (very) small Gingerbreads.

Very nice to read today, fifteen years later, that one is Mrs Stahlbaum and the other Dancing Mistress, in the same cast.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Thanks Geoff for sending me the comments, which I thought made a very interesting read.  

When I started watching the Nutcracker as a child, it was the London Festival Ballet production that I saw every year, because the RB didn't perform it at the time.  That always had Clara played by a child, a lovely opportunity for a student from the Arts Educational School. My memory is obviously hazy as to how she interacted, but as she would only have been about 11 or 12, she certainly wouldn't have been in pointe shoes.  The action after the party is obviously her dream sequence, but she was a spectator, rather than an active participant.  I loved it.

I know Nureyev choregraphed a version for the RB, which had Clara played by an adult and the Nutcracker transforming into the prince.  I assume that this was because he wanted much more dancing for the male principal.  How much this influenced other productions I have no idea.  I must admit when I finally got around to seeing the current RB version, I did get rather irritated by how much Clara was darting in and out amongst the rest of the cast.  I couldn't help thinking that she would have been standing gazing in wonderment, enthralled by the spectacle, rather than leaping around all over the place as if she was experiencing a sugar rush.  My first thoughts were that this made her seem a bit too childish, almost as if she was an overexcited 5 year old. 

Of course, we are all used to this now, but I do understand what Macauley is saying.  

My first exposure to SP's Nut for BRB was via a video that my daughter and I used to watch when she was a little girl.  It starred Sandra Madgwick and Irek Mukhamedov.  That was the first time I had seen a Clara get involved with the Act 2 dancing and it irritated me no end.  I still don't like it in both productions, but I must have got used to it by now, 25 years later, as I love going to see both of them, RB and BRB.

I was brought up on the Balanchine NYCB version as a little girl.  December 1964, I was five and my first ever ballet was that one.  My mother took me and I adored it.  Apparently I clapped with delight when the tree grew to be so huge, and when the children kept coming out of Mother's dress (such a shame that music is ditched in the UK versions that I know; Chris Hampson reinstated it for his ENB production but that's the only time I've seen it for decades).  That ballet was the one that set off my lifelong love of the artform...so I won't have a word said against it!!  Well, not by me, anyway!!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

My first exposure to SP's Nut for BRB was via a video that my daughter and I used to watch when she was a little girl.  It starred Sandra Madgwick and Irek Mukhamedov.  That was the first time I had seen a Clara get involved with the Act 2 dancing and it irritated me no end.  I still don't like it in both productions, but I must have got used to it by now, 25 years later, as I love going to see both of them, RB and BRB.

I was brought up on the Balanchine NYCB version as a little girl.  December 1964, I was five and my first ever ballet was that one.  My mother took me and I adored it.  Apparently I clapped with delight when the tree grew to be so huge, and when the children kept coming out of Mother's dress (such a shame that music is ditched in the UK versions that I know; Chris Hampson reinstated it for his ENB production but that's the only time I've seen it for decades).  That ballet was the one that set off my lifelong love of the artform...so I won't have a word said against it!!  Well, not by me, anyway!!

I've never seen the Balanchine version, I must try and get hold of a copy.   Interesting that we both had the same reaction on seeing an adult Clara.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

In the 2007 Nutcracker, first year White Lodgers, Isabel Lubach and Julia Roscoe were (very) small Gingerbreads.

Very nice to read today, fifteen years later, that one is Mrs Stahlbaum and the other Dancing Mistress, in the same cast.

How lovely.

We know from IG that Anna Rose O’Sullivan’s Nutcracker career also began that way.

I wonder how many of the current RB company have that same history?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, capybara said:

How lovely.

We know from IG that Anna Rose O’Sullivan’s Nutcracker career also began that way.

I wonder how many of the current RB company have that same history?

Obviously I don't know about RB but I think quite a few members of BRB appeared as children in either/both productions.

Kit Holder of BRB, who has recently performed Drosselmeyer and so many roles in the intervening years, was one of the children in the first run when the production opened in 1990.

Some years ago an ex-NB dancer told me he'd appeared in the BRB Nutcracker as a student and I said I was sorry I hadn't realised.  He told me I wouldn't have recognised him as he was a Rat!!

• Like 4

As well as McRae, there are a few other cast changes that have been added to the ROH website today:

Hinkis replaced by Choe as the SPF on 29th (I think it was supposed to be Hinkis' role debut? If so then that's a shame for her having to pull out.)

Saunders replaced by Avis as Drosselmeyer on 20th, 23rd & 30th and by Whitehead on 21st. Also Avis replacing Whitehead tonight.

Junker replaced by Boswell as Hans-Peter on 28th (With apologies to Junker, I'm extremely pleased that I'm now going to get to see Boswell!)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Saunders replaced by Avis as Drosselmeyer on 20th, 23rd & 30th and by Whitehead on 21st. Also Avis replacing Whitehead tonight.

I'm sorry for Christopher Saunders, but since the 23rd matinée is now my only live Nutcracker this year I have to admit that I'm thrilled that Gary Avis will be Drosselmeyer.

• Like 3

Since Avis seems to absolutely adore performing the role, I would guess he doesn't mind either! Presumably Saunders is injured rather than ill, since he was sat in the usual Grand Tier area for the opening night performance & that was after his replacement in one of last week's performances had already been announced. I confess I have yet to actually see anyone other than Avis as Drosselmeyer. Last year I thought I must try to see some other Drosselmeyers only for both the performances I had booked, with Saunders & Whitehead, to be cancelled and when I managed to get a last-minute ticket for one of the few January performances that happened, it was Avis! I should finally see another Drosselmeyer on 28th as that's due to be Gartside.

• Like 2

I went to see my one Nutcracker of the year on Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pre-Covid, I think I might have been getting a bit jaded and took the Nutcracker rather for granted, but since then I have come to appreciate the magic and sparkle a hundred times more, even if I have seen it umpteen times by now!

Great performances all round. Leo Dixon has to be the perfect Hans-Peter and has grown in technique and confidence such a lot since I first saw him. He will go far, I’m sure.

I was very happy to see Madison Bailey as Clara. She was a very sweet and engaging Clara and danced beautifully.

And of course, with Marianela and Vadim as  the SPF and the Prince, you can’t possibly go wrong. Still my favourite couple for these roles. They have such an ease and a connection with each other now in roles like this that it’s a joy to watch, quite apart from their technical loveliness, demonstrated by the smiling exchanged glances and the understanding with which they look each other in the eye. It’s a role that suits Marianela and she knows it so well by now that she can play with the musical phrasing and make it look different every time. And no one looks more princely than Vadim - he performs the role with such smiling ease and radiates a serene joy in the partnering and dancing that no one else can match. The seraphic smile doesn’t even falter when hoicking the SPF onto his shoulder with a tutu in his face! Quite apart from the perfection and butterfly lightness of his dancing. No effort (apparently!) involved.

Melissa Hamilton sets a very high bar for the Arabian, but Gina Storm-Jensen gave a very creditable performance of great sensuality, along with Lukas B-B.

And of course, there is no Drosselmeyer like the King of Glitter Gary Avis! He just simply owns that role and draws you into the story and the magic like no one else.

Rapturous applause from a very enthusiastic audience. And Leo Dixon - to his evident surprise - was presented with a bouquet onstage 🙂. Everyone went home happy!

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

And Leo Dixon - to his evident surprise - was presented with a bouquet onstage 🙂. Everyone went home happy!

He didn't get flowers at his first performance the previous week so I guess that would have been his first onstage bouquet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

Speaking of bouquets...I think Muntagirov's may have been bigger than Nunez's tonight

It looked that way 😊 🫢

There remains scope for improvement in the way bouquets are presented to the men. For example, tonight, Vadim’s could have been brought on at the same time as Marianela’s rather than after the Conductor had joined them and Vadim was by then standing behind the Rose Fairy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, capybara said:

It looked that way 😊 🫢

There remains scope for improvement in the way bouquets are presented to the men. For example, tonight, Vadim’s could have been brought on at the same time as Marianela’s rather than after the Conductor had joined them and Vadim was by then standing behind the Rose Fairy.

Maybe he should start giving her a rose.......she usually gives him one (but not tonight). 

MARIANELA SLIPS! Audible gasps heard in Royal Opera House!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this evenings performance, the gasped shock that Marianela is in fact human amused me too. I felt a bit bad but Avis is my fave drosselmeyer so I wasn't unhappy with that change. The only weak point really for me was the Chinese Dance that was very out of time. 

However, I mainly just wanted to gripe that tonight was one of the worst audiences I have been in at the ROH. Nutcracker is always a bit risky given the abundance of children but tonight there were three people films vast chunks of the second act from the centre of the stalls. They were utterly shameless, not even trying to hide what they were doing, even after one of the people behind told them to stop!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this evenings performance, the gasped shock that Marianela is in fact human amused me too. I felt a bit bad but Avis is my fave drosselmeyer so I wasn't unhappy with that change. The only weak point really for me was the Chinese Dance that was very out of time. 

Thank you. It wasn't just me that thought she slipped during the Grand Finale (and looked rather unhappy afterward).  I was also so pleased to see Avis tonight. 

49 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Marianela has been ill since earlier this week :( The grand pdd, solo and coda were still amazing tonight!

I thought on Wednesday that, although she danced exquisitely, she didn’t seem her usual self - and that last run into the fish dive at the end of the Coda, she seemed tired and almost hung in Vadim’s arms. I wondered then if she was unwell, as it was so unlike her. Poor Marianela, that whole pas de deux plus solos is renowned for being exhausting, so the more kudos to her for going on and performing - it must be a killer if you’re feeling unwell!

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Amanda Liu said:

Marianela has been ill since earlier this week :( The grand pdd, solo and coda were still amazing tonight!

37 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I thought on Wednesday that, although she danced exquisitely, she didn’t seem her usual self - and that last run into the fish dive at the end of the Coda, she seemed tired and almost hung in Vadim’s arms. I wondered then if she was unwell, as it was so unlike her. Poor Marianela, that whole pas de deux plus solos is renowned for being exhausting, so the more kudos to her for going on and performing - it must be a killer if you’re feeling unwell!

She was exquisite even with the slip (and she almost fell and regained her balanced and continued on very well). Although now you have said this, I did notice that at times she was a bit underpowered too and just thought I was imagining things. Hopefully she's all better and rested for Sleeping Beauty in Jan!  

Edited by TSR101

7 hours ago, oncnp said:

Thank you. It wasn't just me that thought she slipped during the Grand Finale (and looked rather unhappy afterward).  I was also so pleased to see Avis tonight. 

She did indeed look unhappy and appeared to “ mark” or possibly “ limp” through the last few bars of choreography. She looked very sad or unwell… couldn’t work out which. It was my first time seeing them

both live and despite her mishap I thought they were sublime and I cried throughout their first adage