Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not on Instagram.  Anyone care to summarise?

With regard to the snowflakes, would most of the audience really register that the choreographic patterns were clearer?  Personally, I want a proper snowfall, not a light dusting.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fonty said:

With regard to the snowflakes, would most of the audience really register that the choreographic patterns were clearer?  Personally, I want a proper snowfall, not a light dusting.  

I agree. In this case, less is not more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fonty said:

The gist of the comments I've seen from him is that RB productions of the classics should aim to be reasonably authentic to Petipa/Ivanov and that SPW's Nutcracker doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Fonty said:

perhaps, with climate change, where once there was deep snowfall, there is now only a light dusting

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sim said:

Where?  I have scrolled down all the comments to the video and can’t see any!

Posted 3 days ago as a reply to Gary Avis and ROH - I don't know how to be more precise, sorry.

I looked at the video for the first time just before I posted. I don't follow anyone on Instagram so don't imagine I have any special privileges.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

There is a lot wrong. However as the tenor of this thread is universal delight it seems churlish to mention anything negative. But one place to start might be the comments just made on Instagram by Alastair Macaulay (scroll down the comments here, his appear near the top, also in discussion with others):-

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmGp8Kysc7A/

I would always like to hear different views, positive or negative- it's very interesting.

The points Macaulay makes are surely valid- but he makes them in a rather rude, abrasive tone.

Still, I would rather hear what everyone thinks. Despite Alan Bennett's excellent advice to anyone 'going round' that 'comments should be restricted to the one word -  'Marvellous' uttered repeatedly'...it would really be rather pointless

(as  we've all said many times) if we all followed that advice on the Forum....

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

The gist of the comments I've seen from him is that RB productions of the classics should aim to be reasonably authentic to Petipa/Ivanov and that SPW's Nutcracker doesn't.

That's a fair summary. AM makes a number of other serious points as well (and justifies what he says). Anybody having trouble finding his comments, feel free to send me a private message (I think the Forum will not let me copy and paste them here, but if anyone knows better than happy to do so)

What a completely useless experience the Friday Rush has been today! 
I’ve never used before and won’t be again. 
Basically the website cannot cope if more than a certain number of people try to use it even on a none main booking day!!! 
I couldn’t get the seat map to download at all even though was on at five to one it took 20 mins before operational again and of course all tickets gone 🙄
Im only writing this here as it’s only tickets for Nutcracker I’m hoping for and the other site is for Spring booking experiences. 

26 minutes ago, Sim said:

Please could someone be more explicit about where the comment being referred to is ?

On whose IG account? Under which image?

Many thanks.

Then you need to click on the empty speech bubble to the right hand side which will access all comments, then scroll down to get to McCaulay’s

43 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Basically the website cannot cope if more than a certain number of people try to use it even on a none main booking day!!! 
I couldn’t get the seat map to download at all even though was on at five to one it took 20 mins before operational again and of course all tickets gone 🙄
Im only writing this here as it’s only tickets for Nutcracker I’m hoping for and the other site is for Spring booking experiences. 

It was absolutely hideous but at least managed to get a ticket for a student I was trying to help out.

Added to basket accidentally before selecting a second seat and 10 mins later when I managed to get the page to load painfully slowly without getting an error message, nothing was left. But then about 30 mins later, the balcony and stalls circle options all seemed to be available again.

But then, it is Nutcracker- and my preferred Nutcracker of every version I have seen. It has the most polish, best narrative and of course the most (classy) glitter!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Then you need to click on the empty speech bubble to the right hand side which will access all comments, then scroll down to get to McCaulay’s

I did all that and still found nothing.  Oh well, probably for the best!!

There are now seats for the matinee I’m hoping for….and some Balcony standing ( not my cup of tea but don’t mind Stalls Circle standing…and nothing going of those) 

But can’t sit high up in Amphi! 
Yesterday afternoon quite a few returns came in but just too expensive unfortunately….though I might give in nearer the time lol!! 

21 minutes ago, Sim said:

I did all that and still found nothing.  Oh well, probably for the best!!

Ditto. I can't find anything. 

I like to read different opinions - even if I don't agree, they are most welcome as long as it is constructive criticism and politely phrased and certainly not personal to the way the performers look.  Even when people criticise my favourite dancers, I do not care one bit (as long as they are polite and respectful in their words).

However, what I do not enjoy is overwhelming negativity for the sake of it. Nothing is perfect and for me, if I sit and 'nitpick' then I ruin my own enjoyment - so I stopped doing that a long time ago. It really is defeating the whole point of spending money to enjoy myself if all I look for is things that I think could be better. When I'm paying a lot of money for tickets, it defeats the point of me going really. Saying that, I have no problem expressing my honest opinion. 

I really enjoyed Nutcracker when I went. It was magical and so pretty (though I do agree about the snowflakes and did count them as there seemed to be less than I thought there should be. I thought - oh, perhaps performers are ill). My overwhelming emotion was a warm feeling and excitement. I would go again but alas, time and budget did not permit that. I adored Kaneko/Bracewell - loved what they did with the roles and their interpretations were different from ones I have been familiar with and loved previously (there is room for many individual interpretations, imo, and I appreciate them all in different ways). 

I really do not mind about whether the shows are 'authentic'. to original choreography To me, it's what I like. For example, I adore Liam Scarlett's version of Swan Lake and prefer it to others. That's certainly not a view most critics have, but I do not care. It's what I like that matters to me.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

Ditto. I can't find anything. 

I like to read different opinions - even if I don't agree, they are most welcome as long as it is constructive criticism and politely phrased and certainly not personal to the way the performers look.  Even when people criticise my favourite dancers, I do not care one bit (as long as they are polite and respectful in their words).

However, what I do not enjoy is overwhelming negativity for the sake of it. Nothing is perfect and for me, if I sit and 'nitpick' then I ruin my own enjoyment - so I stopped doing that a long time ago. It really is defeating the whole point of spending money to enjoy myself if all I look for is things that I think could be better. When I'm paying a lot of money for tickets, it defeats the point of me going really. Saying that, I have no problem expressing my honest opinion. 

I really enjoyed Nutcracker when I went. It was magical and so pretty (though I do agree about the snowflakes and did count them as there seemed to be less than I thought there should be. I thought - oh, perhaps performers are ill). My overwhelming emotion was a warm feeling and excitement. I would go again but alas, time and budget did not permit that. I adored Kaneko/Bracewell - loved what they did with the roles and their interpretations were different from ones I have been familiar with and loved previously (there is room for many individual interpretations, imo, and I appreciate them all in different ways). 

I really do not mind about whether the shows are 'authentic'. to original choreography To me, it's what I like. For example, I adore Liam Scarlett's version of Swan Lake and prefer it to others. That's certainly not a view most critics have, but I do not care. It's what I like that matters to me.

Tamara Rojo's Raymonda was ripped to pieces by certain critics because of its departure from the narrative and the original choreography. I actually enjoyed it and took it for what it is.   On the one hand, companies get castigated if they don't keep ballet fresh; on the other hand when they do try to re-jig some of the 'old dinosaurs' they get criticised.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least they try.

I think with a ballet like Nutcracker that has now become a family Christmas tradition that has appeal worldwide, I don't take offence if even an august company such as the RB take a few small liberties with it.  Having said that, I am in agreement with other posters that the full complement of 24 snowflakes should be reinstated.  

• Like 3

...and that Balanchine's version of Nutcracker should be confined to the New York City Ballet and should never ever be inflicted on SPW-version-loving (whether BRB or RB) audiences ever. Anywhere.

I don't care if it's closer to the Hoffmann story than the versions I prefer, I do not want to see squads of children, I am paying to see a professional production.

• Like 8

Oh I disagree completely on that point Sophoife! 
I like the RB/BRB/ENB for having the children ( though not keen on other parts of ENB production) 

Ive seen the Bolshoi version and didn’t like it as much for several reasons (though the Grand Pas was great) but one of which it was adults sort of pretending to be children just didn’t grab me at all. 
I really enjoy seeing the children in Nutcracker and there’s still plenty of dancing for the adults!! 

• Like 3

I love the children on the stage, they really help create the atmosphere and they're all little stars!

I also love hearing the stories of the principals and how much the production means to them because they've been involved since they were 11, Anna Rose said something yesterday about being SPF now and in it from 11. I like that thread of history in the dancers.

• Like 5

Sorry @emmaroseand @LinMM, that wasn't clear - I didn't mean the children in the SPW versions, they're fine. The children at the Stahlbaum party should be children.

I meant the endless and ubiquitous moppets in the Balanchine version! 🤣 There is never not a child on stage in that version. NYCB can keep it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I must have been lucky recently because I've done Friday Rush something like 4 times for Mayerling plus the Rush before last for Nutcracker & on each occasion the site behaved fine & I got exactly the ticket(s) I wanted. I hope this doesn't mean they've done any behind the scene tweaks in the last week or two that are making it work less well. Unless there was a lot more demand for the Nutcrackers this coming week than there were for the first week of them?

25 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

I meant the endless and ubiquitous moppets in the Balanchine version! 🤣 There is never not a child on stage in that version. NYCB can keep it.

Haha- my favourite version of Nutcracker is Royal Ballet but I still absolutely love the Balanchine version!  The kids are brilliant in it. there is a great documentary series on how they put the NYCB nutcracker together on Disney Plus called On Pointe, I’m not sure if it has already been mentioned but if anyone already has Disney it’s definitely worth checking out (whether you’re a fan of the version or not 😂) 

Edited by serenade
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I must have been lucky recently because I've done Friday Rush something like 4 times for Mayerling plus the Rush before last for Nutcracker & on each occasion the site behaved fine & I got exactly the ticket(s) I wanted. I hope this doesn't mean they've done any behind the scene tweaks in the last week or two that are making it work less well. Unless there was a lot more demand for the Nutcrackers this coming week than there were for the first week of them?

I think your last sentence is true, many people have had to cancel Nutcrackers in  the last few weeks who want to see it before Christmas.

• Like 3

I had to cancel my original one which is why trying to see it next week as do like to see before Christmas but if get very unlucky will break my usual rule and book for Takada and Corrales in January near the end of the run!!! 

4 hours ago, Sim said:

Tamara Rojo's Raymonda was ripped to pieces by certain critics because of its departure from the narrative and the original choreography. I actually enjoyed it and took it for what it is.   On the one hand, companies get castigated if they don't keep ballet fresh; on the other hand when they do try to re-jig some of the 'old dinosaurs' they get criticised.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least they try.

I think with a ballet like Nutcracker that has now become a family Christmas tradition that has appeal worldwide, I don't take offence if even an august company such as the RB take a few small liberties with it.  Having said that, I am in agreement with other posters that the full complement of 24 snowflakes should be reinstated.  

I also enjoyed 'Raymonda' although some of the choreography was a little, well I can’t think of the right word but, for example, when Jean de Brienne and his troops galloped off to war, simulating cavalrymen by holding their hands to the front and dancing/prancing a galloping step - just like we did as primary school children playing cowboys and Indians.

I also enjoyed the review (I can’t remember whose) when the Crimean War nurses, carrying lanterns (a la the 'The lady with the lamp') and entering the stage in line doing arabesques similar to the entrance of the Shades in 'La Bayadere' were described as the ‘Dance of the Lampshades'. 

• Like 8

I have used Friday Rush many times without a problem until today when I was actually in the ROH quite near to the box office. I had problems similar to those reported above and did not manage to get a ticket. I presumed it was because their wifi was very slow (as often happens) and reported it at the box office. They were grateful to be told and assured me that they would pass on my comments to the IT Dept.

• Like 2

Well as luck would have it earlier this evening finally got a ticket for next Fridays matinee so am feeling very happy as Clara and Hans Peter are the same as original cast I booked for and had to cancel ( Sissens and Maeda) and Sugar Plum will be Hayward( with Campbell….hope Jan will read this!) instead of Fumi and now looking forward to a Christmas treat with a couple of days in London with nothing else to do but see the lights and play tourist for a while….apparently in positively balmy weather! 
Edit: just seen your post jmhopton! and have duly noted!! 
Many thanks. 
Sophoife there’s a comment for you there on tv thread that I’ll repeat here : you will be free to go to the beach on Boxing Day!!!!!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sophoife there’s a comment for you there on tv thread that I’ll repeat here : you will be free to go to the beach on Boxing Day!!!!!

🤣🤣🤣 Thank you @LinMM, but...I live in Albury. On the mighty Murray River but definitely not within cooee of a beach, which would anyway be my nightmare for Christmas Day.

I shall be in Melbourne on Christmas Eve, watching the most recent Nutcracker cinema cast from the Royal Ballet, then home on the late train and treating myself to the Australian Ballet 2014 recording of the BRB SPW version of same. With lots of snowflakes and three men and one woman dancing Arabian.

My parents live in Tasmania, where there has been (to everyone's shock) snow recently, with more forecast. Snow is not an Australian Christmas thing.

• Like 7