Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker, Winter 2022/3

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I loved Madison Bailey as Clara, I thought she was absolutely delightful in the role.

Good to hear!

Am I right in thinking it is Sae Maeda's debut in the role tonight, after a couple of cancellations last run?

Anyway, looking forward to the performance ....

• Like 1

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Good to hear!

Am I right in thinking it is Sae Maeda's debut in the role tonight, after a couple of cancellations last run?

Anyway, looking forward to the performance ....

No, her debut was 6th Jan last year 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I loved Madison Bailey as Clara, I thought she was absolutely delightful in the role. I hope that, although she only got to do the role this year due to Pajdak's absence, she'll now be on the main roll of Claras because I'd certainly like to see her again in future seasons. She didn't seem at all fazed by the transformation scene interruption. I thought she partnered very well with both Boswell in the party scene & Dixon in the rest of the ballet.

Nunez & Muntagirov surely must be the gold standard in the Nutcracker. Even though they must have both done these roles so many times that they could do them in their sleep they still manage to look totally engaged as well as being technically brilliant. Ditto Avis as Drosselmeyer - admittedly he doesn't have to be technically brilliant except in cape twirling & glitter throwing!

I know no-one needs to see my curtain call photos when they've got @Rob S's to look at but I'm posting this one anyway because I love the accidental view through the curtains!

P1540680.jpg

You mustn't have been very far from me, I was SC A34/35.

This is a lovely photo too, mine always come out awful, I don't know how people do it!

I was there last night and thought it was so well danced by all.

I was slightly saddened about the tree, as soon as it didn't start growing I had a bad feeling, and it was one of the moments I most love, however it was handled so very well by all, Avis carried on dancing in such a way it made you feel as if the curtain should be closing, coming right near the gap and staring out at the audience. And Madison, what a pro for a debut!

I felt Madison was completely at ease in the role, it felt made for her and from the start she embodied that young joy of Christmas, she wasn't acting, it just seemed to come from within. A natural Clara.

Leo was excellent and got stronger and stronger as it went on.

Gary Avis is just magical.

Snowflakes made me completely forget about the tree malfunction, such a breathtaking scene and the music is a joy to hear live, it seeps into your bones.

Act 2 was perfection from all, it seemed to fly by.

Nela and Vadim are just so at ease here, on the stage, in the scene, with each other, just divine from them both. After their gorgeous PDD someone in the stalls stood up clapping, such were their feelings about it. I agree with Dawnstar, they have to be the gold standard here, sublime. 

Left with a lovely and warm feeling, which was good because it was freezing outside.

Last note, I know so many of the songs are overplayed and used in everything, but the score really is beautiful.

Edited by emmarose
  • Like 15

Dawnstar and Emmarose have completely summed up last night’s magical performance. I can only reiterate everything that they have said. 

I was there with my daughter and neither of us could believe that it was Madison Bailey’s debut. Ably supported by Leo Dixon’s Hans Peter, she was natural, sparkling and utterly delightful, engaging the audience from start to finish. Definitely one to watch, methinks! And as an aside, we both found ourselves wondering which of the children we might see onstage as fully fledged adult performers at some point in the future.  

But back to the present and, more specifically, to last night. A shame about the tree, but Gary Avis, the consummate professional, handled the mishap with such aplomb that anyone unfamiliar with the production wouldn’t have known that anything was amiss: curtain comes down; a short pause; curtain rises and, hey presto, a giant tree surrounded by presents. Magic indeed! That abundance of glitter surely works miracles!

I loved all the soloists in Act 2: a great Rose Fairy from Claire Calvert and the Arabian dance in particular (Mendizabal at her sultry best with an attentive Mock to support her) went down a storm in my part of the house.

Which leaves the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince. Marianela and Vadim - I have run out of superlatives. Touching perfection in every respect: technique, timing, chemistry … And all with such ease, and a demonstrable, irresistible joy in everything they do

And, yes, that longed-for reunion in the closing seconds between Drosselmeyer and Hans Peter did bring a lump to my throat. 

It really does now feel that Christmas is on its way. 

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, emmarose said:

You mustn't have been very far from me, I was SC A34/35.

This is a lovely photo too, mine always come out awful, I don't know how people do it!

I was in SC C25 so a bit further round to the side than you. @Rob S must have been practically behind you, as I could see him standing a few places in from the end of the standing area. What I don't know is how some people manage to get decent photos on their phones. I use a camera & still get very mixed results. If I used my phone all there would be visible would be a few distant blobs & the curtain!

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

I also forgot to add what little stars those children were, every single one of them were just amazing and did themselves proud! I always love that little mouse being carried off on a stretcher! 

The stretcher party were very prompt last night: they turned up just as the mouse was collapsing!

Thanks @Richard LH

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

Catching up on some of the first night reviews, I'm puzzled by one comment in the Guardian's review:

the Arabian scene changed from a harem to a duet

Isn't a harem is multiple women & one man? Whereas the Arabian dance used to be the opposite.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I was in SC C25 so a bit further round to the side than you. @Rob S must have been practically behind you, as I could see him standing a few places in from the end of the standing area. What I don't know is how some people manage to get decent photos on their phones. I use a camera & still get very mixed results. If I used my phone all there would be visible would be a few distant blobs & the curtain!

The stretcher party were very prompt last night: they turned up just as the mouse was collapsing!

Thanks @Richard LH

Yes, you both must have been around, I have no idea what anyone looks like so couldn't say hello. 

I just use my phone, I got a couple of niceish ones, but nothing special. I long to have photos like Robs! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Yes, you both must have been around, I have no idea what anyone looks like so couldn't say hello. 

I just use my phone, I got a couple of niceish ones, but nothing special. I long to have photos like Robs! 

If you ever spot someone wearing gloves indoors that'll probably be me!

Don't we all! I got a couple of close-ups last night that came out well by the standard of my curtain call photos but looking at them in comparison with Rob's mine just don't have the crispness or clarity that his have.

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Catching up on some of the first night reviews, I'm puzzled by one comment in the Guardian's review:

Isn't a harem is multiple women & one man? Whereas the Arabian dance used to be the opposite.

There is no real equivalent word but the concept of a "reverse harem" has existed.

The word harem itself comes from Arabic and means an inviolable place, most often applied to a space for women. In many places the harem was guarded by females, in others by eunuchs. Before genetic testing it was after all the only way the male keeper of a harem could "guarantee" all the offspring were his.

Given that a female keeper of more than one man would clearly know who gave birth to her children, and that the paternity was irrelevant, keeping men secluded for that purpose was quite rare.

The Guardian is increasingly sloppy in its presentation, with frequent typos and misused words; it reads as though they no longer employ sub-editors. I am she who nitpicks BTL, with my pet hashtag of #nitpickersnotsoanonymous 🤣

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

The Guardian is increasingly sloppy in its presentation, with frequent typos and misused words; it reads as though they no longer employ sub-editors. I am she who nitpicks BTL, with my pet hashtag of #nitpickersnotsoanonymous 🤣

You are right, and this sloppiness has been a feature of the 'Grauniad' for years.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

If you ever spot someone wearing gloves indoors that'll probably be me!

Don't we all! I got a couple of close-ups last night that came out well by the standard of my curtain call photos but looking at them in comparison with Rob's mine just don't have the crispness or clarity that his have.

Any particular gloves? Long evening gloves?

I have no idea what would distinguish me... I'm maybe a little tall, I have brown curly hair.

I know I can't even aspire to Rob's standards, I just don't have the ability.

Edited by emmarose

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I think that point was made when the Arabian dance was changed a couple of years ago! I personally don't have an issue with the new version but couldn't see a problem with the old one !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

Any particular gloves? Long evening gloves?

I have no idea what would distinguish me... I'm maybe a little tall, I have brown curly hair.

I know I can't even aspire to Rob's standards, I just don't have the ability.

Goodness no, I never turn up at the ROH in anything resembling evening dress. I usually walk from Kings Cross to the ROH & back so evening dress really wouldn't be practical! White cotton wrist length. I have OCD so where most people take off their winter gloves when they get inside I swap winter gloves for lightweight ones.

Nor do I. I have terrible photo taking timing. I usually seem to press the button just as a dancer starts to bow/curtsey & get them either blurred or their face not visible. Though I do think some dancers do their solo bows faster than others as I find it harder to photograph some dancers.

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Goodness no, I never turn up at the ROH in anything resembling evening dress. I usually walk from Kings Cross to the ROH & back so evening dress really wouldn't be practical! White cotton wrist length. I have OCD so where most people take off their winter gloves when they get inside I swap winter gloves for lightweight ones.

Nor do I. I have terrible photo taking timing. I usually seem to press the button just as a dancer starts to bow/curtsey & get them either blurred or their face not visible. Though I do think some dancers do their solo bows faster than others as I find it harder to photograph some dancers.

Oh I understand you, yes if I ever see you I'll say hello. 

We must share the exact same timing. Yesterday I took a photo as Nela and Vadim hugged and it came out so weirdly, it looks as if Nela doesn't have a head (it's a bit unsettling actually).

• Like 3

If some kind person that is there tonight would post a screenshot of the full cast for tonight that would be lovely. I’m watching the live cinema relay and the cast sheet we’ve been given only lists Kaneko, Bracewell, Gartside, Sae Maeda and Sissens and I can’t seem to access any cast lists on the roh website as it says server error 😭 I’d love to know who the other dancers are 🙏

Sae Maeda has been an absolutely beautiful Clara so far.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

If some kind person that is there tonight would post a screenshot of the full cast for tonight that would be lovely. I’m watching the live cinema relay and the cast sheet we’ve been given only lists Kaneko, Bracewell, Gartside, Sae Maeda and Sissens and I can’t seem to access any cast lists on the roh website as it says server error 😭 I’d love to know who the other dancers are 🙏

Sae Maeda has been an absolutely beautiful Clara so far.

Will this link work for you: https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/40/the-nutcracker-by-peter-wright/cast-list/51287

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, emmarose said:

We must share the exact same timing. Yesterday I took a photo as Nela and Vadim hugged and it came out so weirdly, it looks as if Nela doesn't have a head (it's a bit unsettling actually).

All my photos of yesterday's various national dance dancers are hopeless, either blurred or only showing half of someone. Though I actually managed to photograph Nunez & Muntagirov fairly well yesterday & can confirm there were indeed the usual 2 heads present when they hugged!

P1540711.jpg

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Genuine question, certainly not a challenge. How is the ROH about audience taking pics? My son is one of the soldiers and would love to have pics of him but thought this not allowed?

No pics allowed during the performance, only the curtain calls 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Genuine question, certainly not a challenge. How is the ROH about audience taking pics? My son is one of the soldiers and would love to have pics of him but thought this not allowed?

You can take photos of the curtain calls, but not during the performance.  

There might be some photos of your son in some of the official rehearsal photos that are often taken during a stage call or Friends rehearsal.  

• Like 1

Well that was lovely.  I'm just back from the cinema relay and thought it was an absolutely delightful evening.

I thought the party scene was great, so much to look at I think you'd need to go again to catch it all.  The little boy they had playing Clara's brother was brilliant, bratty and spoilt and just as he should be.  Sae Maeda was really good as Clara, seeming transformed with the wonder of it all.  Joseph Sissens is a lovely Hans-Peter and that costume really suits him, his legs look fantastic when he jumps.  I particularly liked how he threw himself into the mime scene in Act 2 and the battle scene and then again in his engagement in the Russian dance.   

I also thought David Donnelly was fantastic as the rat king, that headpiece is not easy to move in and neither is the long tail but he danced like they were both part of him.  

Bennet Gartside was lovely as Drosselmeyer.  I loved the start and end scenes in his study as it gave the part more character and you really felt that he'd lost his nephew and regained him, because he's such a convincing actor.  Benn is my teacher so I'm a bit biased, but I think he's terrific with a swooshy cape and doing magic tricks and also providing the crucial link between the acts.  

In Act 2 I absolutely loved the Arabian Dance.  Melissa Hamilton was amazing, lovely and sinuous and with incredibly beautiful arm movements and the partnership with Lukas BB worked very well.  The other dances were great too.  On a purely aesthetic level, I especially liked the costumes for the Chinese dance because they were such pretty colours. 

Mayara Magri was stunning as always as the Rose Fairy, she's just sheer class and style in everything she does.  Fumi was a lovely Sugar Plum Fairy, really light and delicate but with great quality of movement and Will Bracewell was great at partnering her, seeming really sensitive and responsive.  I felt they had a really good rapport and worked well as a pair.  

All in all a really great way to escape from a very cold December day.  

• Like 24

15 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Thank you 😀

Perhaps if you make contact with ROH they may be able to put you in touch with the photographers and they may be able to provide pictures of your son on stage? Have a look on the ROH's Flickr account as well as there might be something on there.

• Like 1

On my way home now from ROH. Loved it all. Tried to upload some half decent photos but the files are too big to upload - no idea how to resolve that one! It really was magical tonight. Will review later on. Bravo to the whole cast!

• Like 6