Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I am incandescent with rage.  It has been announced today that Avanti has been given another 6 month extension on its franchise.

How can the government justify this ludicrous decision???

promised 'donations'?

Yet another agreement to pay offers has been reached

Even though I work for a railway company I still don't know what section of the various disputes is causing the most disruption to services (particularly those that will get people home after a performance) but the disputes with the 14 railway operating companies appear to be continuing for now

From the Guardian:

Members of the RMT union have voted to accept a pay offer from Network Rail.

Thousands of rail workers including signalling staff voted by three to one in favour to accept the offer, a 9% pay increase over two years, in a referendum that closed on Monday.

The result should spell an end to the most disruptive strikes, and will raise hopes that all pay disputes across the railway could soon be settled, although the RMT said the ball was “in the government’s court

Edited by Rob S

I’m completely confused now to be honest. 
It’s usually the RMT or ASLEF train drivers union ( not the tube ASLEF) which affect my journeys to London but if there’s some sort of partial RMT thing going on have no idea whether this will mean No or just fewer trains. At least with ASLEF you know there won’t be any ( worth considering) when they are striking. 

I heard the Avanti thing on the radio this morning and it said “because there had been some improvements” 

I thought then yeah two trains a day instead of one lol!! 

• Like 1

My sister and her husband have been quite badly affected by the strikes (they rely on them to get to work). I am no apologist for them.

But... as I think the Guardian said back in the autumn, nobody will want to take on this mess, including the DfT themselves. Hence the extension.

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I am incandescent with rage.  It has been announced today that Avanti has been given another 6 month extension on its franchise.

How can the government justify this ludicrous decision???

I'm incandescent too Janet but it doesn't surprise me at all. The government don't give a stuff about the North of England ( as I said a few months ago in a cameo appearance on Granada Reports). All they're bothered about is getting re-elected, and a time consuming exercise like scrapping a rail franchise and putting it out to tender isn't on their agenda. They don't use it. When Rishi Sunak visited the North he hired a plane. It's just ordinary people like us who have to suffer for their selfishness.  I'm sure it's no coincidence that the announcement was made just a few hours before a petition signed by thousands, asking for Avanti to be stripped of their franchise, was being presented in Westminster. Their timetable has improved marginally in that you can already book for some weekends in April instead of only being able to book weekends a day or 2 in advance but the level of service is just so unreliable you have no confidence at all that your train will actually materialise. Not good if you're 200 miles away and want to attend a 1pm matinee. It was never like this with Virgin. Also, the Bank holiday weekend of the 29th April when Morera is giving her last full length performance, is still unavailable and I'm dreading more train strikes then. It looks like RMT have settled but I'm not sure if other unions and Companies are still considering the government's offer. The uncertainty continues. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, oncnp said:

There goes the ROH excuse for poor ticket sales 

Except of course that the Saturday matinee has nearly sold out - (and the evening is selling reasonably well) and that was a strike day so not sure whether their argument really holds up!

• Like 3

Maybe I will go to the ball next week, I have a ticket for Thursday 29th March and there would have been a train strike starting at midnight!

BTW, I'm a Friend and I haven't had any offers but I already had the 29th booked, plus some others.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
20 minutes ago, MJW said:

Except of course that the Saturday matinee has nearly sold out - (and the evening is selling reasonably well) and that was a strike day so not sure whether their argument really holds up!

Sat matinee sold out at least a week ago. They are on returns now.  Glad to see Sat night is looking better. The rest if it still looks pretty dire aside from the Nunez performances.

The 29th March is a Wednesday! 
The strike would have been on the Thursday but that’s the 30th! 
Luckily it’s been called off so now don’t have to stay an extra day in London on the 30th ….as going to see Cinderella on 29th. 

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Rob S said:

And they're back....strikes have been announced for 12 May, 31 May, and 3 June (FA Cup Final day, just to rub it in for the two teams from Manchester)

Very upset about 12 May for non-ballet reason. I hope they reach a settlement soon...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

And they're back....strikes have been announced for 12 May, 31 May, and 3 June (FA Cup Final day, just to rub it in for the two teams from Manchester)

Just so sorry for everyone trying to get to Wembley for the football, or to anywhere for anything.  These people just don't care.  

• Like 1

My ROH bookings aren't affected this time but I'm annoyed that I won't be able to get to Peterborough on 31st May to see one of my favourite improv groups. That's another £25 ticket down the drain. (Yes, I have looked at coaches but there appear to only be a couple per day and the return one would be leaving Peterborough at 3am and getting to Cambridge at 4am, which are hardly practical or safe times to be travelling as a single female.)

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Getting home on 12 May after Takada/Hay Sleeping Beauty the previous evening may be very difficult.

I’m also going on the 11th - trouble is although I will travel back home that evening, trains might stop early. Will have to see what happens and possibly book for their other performance.

Not just ASLEF strikes, us northerners have to contend with 'essential' rail maintenance as well. I'm coming to see Morera's final Cinderella this Saturday and as it's a Bank Holiday there are no trains out of Euston on Sunday. So I'm having to get back to Preston via Kings Cross and Leeds. At least it will be different scenery!

• Like 2

Yes large parts of the RMT Union still haven’t settled they are striking on the 13th. As they affect Thameslink trains as well as ASLEF their strikes have affected some of my journeys as have been more frequent than ASLEF strikes. Luckily the 12th and 13th won’t affect me but am now waiting to hear other RMT dates 😥

Well, I managed to hit the jackpot this time: the two different unions' strike days of 12th and 13th May mean my overnighter in Nottingham won't happen (seeing a friend of 25+ years' standing whom I've not seen in 6 years because, you know, Australia) 😡