Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Sim  says at this point just the trains ….unless the tube ASLEF drivers suddenly call one as well! 
Im not sure if they’ve done the double before yet where train AND tube ASLEF out on the same day…but no doubt there’s always a first for that …let’s hope not. 

What a surprise...with three double show Saturdays in a row booked I knew at least one would be hit and so it's come to pass...and the Wednesday show too. I should have known they'd target the Tory party conference dates....hopefully they won't do the same to Labour which is the next week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rob S said:

What a surprise...with three double show Saturdays in a row booked I knew at least one would be hit and so it's come to pass...and the Wednesday show too. I should have known they'd target the Tory party conference dates....hopefully they won't do the same to Labour which is the next week. 

I very much doubt they will do the same to Labour...

There are four dance companies/groups in London and at least one in Birmingham affected by the ASLEF rail action on 30 September. In alphabetical order-

1) Ballet Nights’ mixed bill Programme 1 of excerpts and solos (Dying Swan, Isadora, Concerto, Czardas, La Bayadere) and contemporary creations at Lanterns Studio Theatre at 7.30pm

2) Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Black Sabbath -The Ballet matinee and evening performances at 2pm and 7.30pm at Birmingham Hippodrome

3) English National Ballet’s Our Voices triple bill matinee and evening performances at 2.30pm and 7.30pm at Sadler’s Wells Theatre 

4) Kyiv City Ballet’s matinee and evening performances of their Tribute mixed bill at 2.30pm and 7.30pm at Peacock Theatre 

5) Royal Ballet’s Open Rehearsal at 12.30pm and evening performance at 7.30pm of Don Quixote at the Royal Opera House

I have two shows to try to move and rebook, and pay extra for as a result. Also causes problems for artists, crew and front of house staff that rely on trains to get to work and return home late after the evening performances. I haven’t even got round to looking up the 4 Oct performances and the other dance performances in other towns and cities that will be affected. Particularly galling to see Kyiv City Ballet’s not one but two shows affected given that they are already victims of war. 

Not fun reading, sadly, but here’s ASLEF’s announcement about their strikes and overtime ban, from their website:- 

“ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, has today [Friday] announced another two days of strike action – on Saturday 30 September and Wednesday 4 October – and an overtime ban across the UK rail network on Friday 29 September and from Monday 2 to Friday 6 October.

The strike will force the train operating companies to cancel all services and the ban on overtime will seriously disrupt the network as the privatised train companies have always failed to employ enough drivers to provide a proper service – the service they promise passengers, businesses, and the government they will deliver – without asking drivers to work their rest days.

The 16 companies affected include: Avanti West Coast; Chiltern Railways; c2c; CrossCountry; East Midlands Railway; Greater Anglia; GTR Great Northern Thameslink; Great Western Railway; Island Line; LNER; Northern Trains; Southeastern; Southern/Gatwick Express; South Western Railway; TransPennine Express; and West Midlands Trains.”

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

The 4th October will affect me but not for performances …..it’s one of the days I attend ballet classes in London …already paid for!….and because I need to be back in Brighton by the morning on the 5th there’s no way I can go up on the 4th! 
Luckily my first Don Q is following week on 11th so unlikely to be strikes that week as well. 

Edited by LinMM

It looks like I'm going to just manage to miss this lot of strikes by a day, as I did for the last lot, as my first ROH booking of the season is on 5th October. Though the possible effects of the overtime ban & possible knock-on effects of the previous day's strike will still keep me nervous about it. Thank goodness I couldn't book for the first night of Don Q because it clashes with a show I'm seeing at my local theatre - the only venue I go to that I can get to without using a train!

• Like 1

Inspite of the 4th being affected Im actually incredibly lucky too as was much more worried about strikes being called on 11th or 12th as on the 12th (after 11th Don Q) have this mad dash back to Brighton in the morning to be met at the station and then straight off on holiday!! 

• Like 1

I am going to the ROH for the Saturday 7th Oct. DQ, although the trains will be crowded after the strike, I won't have to travel up to London until about 4pm, and things should have quietened down by the evening return.

Also I should be okay on the 28th returning from the Peacock Theatre.

Who am I kidding😉

• Like 2

On 15/09/2023 at 11:18, oncnp said:

Will this affect the tube? I may have to change hotels if walking to the ROH is necessary. 

It sometimes affects the tube where the line is shared with British Rail - e.g. the Richmond branch of the District Line beyond Acton Town. But I doubt that most visitors to London would be staying that far out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Decided to drive down to London for the Don Q season opening night on 30th Sept, and park at Urban Parking, Shelton Street, which is close to Covent Garden 😬. Is this complete madness? Any tips/advice greatly appreciated.

I drive into Covent Garden from outside London frequently and it's fine.  Just be aware that the congestion charge is in operation from 12 noon until 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays, so that will add to your cost if you enter it during those times.  Also best to check there are no demonstrations in the area which add time to the journey due to road closures.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

I drive into Covent Garden from outside London frequently and it's fine.  Just be aware that the congestion charge is in operation from 12 noon until 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays, so that will add to your cost if you enter it during those times.  Also best to check there are no demonstrations in the area which add time to the journey due to road closures.

Thank you @Irmgard. Do you know how much busier it can get during rail strikes?

Thank you to everyone who posts about strike announcements here. I'm lucky enough to have a good coach service to London as a (less convenient but cheaper) alternative to the train. I normally hear the strike news here first, allowing me to book a coach ticket in the few precious hours before they put the price up.

• Like 6

On 17/09/2023 at 14:57, Lizbie1 said:

Thank you to everyone who posts about strike announcements here. I'm lucky enough to have a good coach service to London as a (less convenient but cheaper) alternative to the train. I normally hear the strike news here first, allowing me to book a coach ticket in the few precious hours before they put the price up.

I second that- thanks to the forum I was able to make lightning-fast arrangements to try to save my first vist to ROH for months...here's hoping it works out but the early notice was invaluable!

• Like 2

First trip of the new season and I’ve been very fortunate having booked Our Voices x2 on 28th, Das Rheingold on 29th, and the Don Q General Rehearsal and Opening Night on 30th. Whilst there may be some disruption on the Sunday morning, I’m pretty sure sufficient trains will be running and I’ll get home. 

• Like 6

Avanti have been awarded a new long term (3 year) contract to runs trains on the West Coast mainline to London/Scotland. I just despair. Yes, things have improved a little over the past few months but no one using them can have any confidence at all it will be sustained.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/avanti-west-coast-awarded-new-27740866?IYA-reg=ba3e16f8-aee9-438c-8378-12ca9cb6c1d4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dance performances affected by the 4th October rail strike and Tube strike in London ☹️:

1) Don Quixote at ROH 7.30pm

2) Message in a Bottle at Peacock Theatre 7.30pm (unfortunately, Kate Prince’s production will also be affected by the Tube strike on 6 Oct) 

3) Mahabharata at Barbican Theatre 7.45pm (and also the 6 Oct performances at 3.30pm and 8.15pm, and the 6.30 Khana and Kahani event) 

Michael Keegan-Dolan’s MÁM at Sadler’s Wells doesn’t open till 5 Oct so misses the double rail/Tube strike by a whisker but will unfortunately be affected by the 6Oct Tube strike. 

If there are any other dance performances elsewhere in London on 4 & 6 Oct that anyone knows of please do add it here. (For members here attending Royal Opera’s  La Forza del Destino at ROH on 6 Oct at 6.30pm, travel to that performance will be affected.) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Dance performances affected by the 4th October rail strike and Tube strike in London ☹️:

1) Don Quixote at ROH 7.30pm

2) Message in a Bottle at Peacock Theatre 7.30pm (unfortunately, Kate Prince’s production will also be affected by the Tube strike on 6 Oct) 

3) Mahabharata at Barbican Theatre 7.45pm (and also the 6 Oct performances at 3.30pm and 8.15pm, and the 6.30 Khana and Kahani event) 

Michael Keegan-Dolan’s MÁM at Sadler’s Wells doesn’t open till 5 Oct so misses the double rail/Tube strike by a whisker but will unfortunately be affected by the 6Oct Tube strike. 

If there are any other dance performances elsewhere in London on 4 & 6 Oct that anyone knows of please do add it here. (For members here attending Royal Opera’s  La Forza del Destino at ROH on 6 Oct at 6.30pm, travel to that performance will be affected.) 

And elsewhere in the country:

Northern Ballet's Beauty and the Beast in Nottingham

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alison said:

The station I'm currently at is warning of an "amended" Thameslink service between 29th September and 6th October, too.

That's because of the less publicised overtime ban between those dates

Yes I was told yesterday after trying to buy some tickets in advance that they could not tell me the timetable for trains on 3rd October until next Thursday and there might not be any trains after 6pm depending on how many drivers etc. I already can’t travel on the 4th because of the strike but it looks like may have to abandon making a day of it up on the 3rd as well. 

This has not happened before because the work to rule has been by the RMT Union where Thameslink trains were just halved but a regular timetable …but this one is the ASLEF Union so drivers cannot be predicted to work. 
I need the trains to run till at least 8.30 to make it worth making trip up. 

I think I'm going to abandon trying to see the ROH L'Elisir D'Amore on 5th October. I had originally booked because it's a nice, light, enjoyable opera but it's not going to be enjoyable if I have to spend days beforehand worrying about whether or not the trains will be running!