Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks  Scherezade. I'm determined to make it! I think it's going to be via the coach from Chelt. I don't know why the coach service is so good from Chelt and so abysmal from Preston. There are loads from Manchester but no direct coaches from Preston to Manchester apart from a Flixbus service which is actually the London coach but doesn't get into Victoria until 19.20.

Coaches from Liverpool no longer go direct to London - they go via Birmingham and the time it takes now makes it unfeasible for most things!  We North Westerners are really penalised aren't we Joan!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Coaches from Liverpool no longer go direct to London - they go via Birmingham and the time it takes now makes it unfeasible for most things!  We North Westerners are really penalised aren't we Joan!!!

Yes we certainly are Janet! If the government wanted to get serious about levelling up, the coach service (or lack of it) would be a good place to start. The irritating thing is it used to be quite good pre covid. I don't know why they think no one now wants to travel by coach from Preston but do want to travel from Cheltenham which has its pre covid service virtually intact. Anyway, I've booked my seat for the 3rd and hope the coaches don't now decide to strike!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the NW train service strikes again (not literally this time but the result is the same). Network Rail have now announced rail works cutting off Preston for 4 successive weekends (except for Sat March 11th).

the 'complexity' of upgrading switches and crossings means the railway must close between Wigan North Western and Lancaster. The closures will occur on Saturday, February 18, and Sunday, February 19; Saturday, February 25, and Sunday, February 26; Saturday, March 4, Sunday, March 5; and Sunday, March 12, with no trains serving Preston on these dates.

So, having had to cancel seeing Vadim this Friday as one of our dogs was ill and we had to cancel going to Cheltenham where I'd booked a coach, my visit 4th of March to see Fumi is now under threat unless we can re-schedule the Cheltenham visit. Going to the theatre is supposed to be a pleasure but these days it involves military manoeuvre type planning. I don't blame the strikers at all (no prizes for guessing whom I do blame!) but it does make life stressful as you're never sure if you're going to get to a performance or if you can then get home on the correct day.

• Like 6

I know engineering work is needed but the weekend replacement service is truly grim: train Penrith to Lancaster, replacement bus to Manchester, train to London. The journey time is more than double the normal time and with three legs to the journey and Avanti’s staffing problems, I’d be very surprised if all three legs operated without incident. I’ve therefore cancelled a London trip 24/25 February.

I’ve had to cancel a day trip on Saturday for Tannhauser - highly likely to be post strike disruptions in the morning and the revised train table has the last return train before 18:30 rather than 19:30 when I booked my ROH ticket.

I now see the engineering work means I’ll either have to cancel my 3/4 March plans or stay Sunday night. That’s tempting as I might be able to get to Sleeping Beauty in the evening & Rusalka on Sunday.

• Like 3

Another email from Avanti saying it's 'Time to get back on track'!!! and thanking me for having 'stuck with us'. ( I  haven't, I've been booking coaches), and saying their new timetable is out. This is presumably the timetable with no Lancaster to Wigan services on the 4 weekends I mentioned above. They're completely shameless. If their franchise is extended in April I will certainly be writing to the government minister concerned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yet more strikes announced - 

BBC News - 

"Members of the RMT union from 14 train operators will strike on 16, 18 and 30 March, and 1 April, the start of the Easter school holidays for many."

• Thanks 1

Drat, I was supposed to be seeing Woolf Works on 16th. In fact the unions must really not like Ferri as there are strikes on 2 of her 4 Woolf Works dates! I guess I'll have to try to get a rush ticket for 11th as that's the only one of her performances I can now get to.

• Like 2

I (in common with many others) will be affected for Vadim's Cinderella matinee on April 1st. The first matinee I recall him performing (certainly in several years) and there's a strike! It's virtually a sell out and many will be relying on the train.  I had to cancel his SB I'd booked as one of our dogs was ill and now this. Seem fated not to see him and its my last chance to see him live (as opposed to cinema) before the new season in Oct.  Hope we can go to Cheltenham and I can get the coach from there. Will be a month after my previous visit to get to Fumi's SB matinee 4th March (rail engineering works). It's certainly a challenge being a ballet supporter at the moment!

• Like 6

@EmeraldsI guess I've been fairly lucky so far as Woolf Works will be the first time I've lost an RB booking to strikes - though I have lost bookings for other theatres - & at least I can potentially make another date. I'm busy praying they don't add any more strikes later in April. Most of my Cinderella bookings are for the only date I can see each respective cast so no chance to swap to another date if I can't get to London when I'm booked.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

Yes  I daren't even think about later in April. I've now got 3 more weekends booked on the 14/15, 22 and 29. It should have just been the 14/15 and 22nd but when I started idly checking for accommodation on the 22nd (I'd booked both performances) I was horrified to see all my usual places were either full or double the cost. When I checked, the London marathon was being run on the 23rd! Ironically, I  booked the 22nd rather than the 29th (identical casts) to avoid the May Day weekend and ended up with the London marathon which is worse. Had to keep the 22nd matinee as I got standing tickets for myself and a friend but changed my evening ticket for the same seat on the 29th and managed to get cheap accommodation.  If the rail strikes continue I'm bound to have at least one weekend affected (in addition to the 1st). The 22nd will affect my friend (only her second visit to the ROH) but the 29th will affect my final performance with Morera. Aaaaaagh!

• Like 1

However they do swap the days around as I predicted March would be on Thursdays or Saturdays! 
So in April they haven’t done Monday and Tuesday for a while and then it would be Wednesday and yes possibly a Friday next!!!! 
However as May 1st bank holiday falls on a Monday this year I suspect then that unfortunately they might go for that weekend and choose Saturday 29th April and Monday May 1st!! 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2023 at 22:48, Dawnstar said:

@EmeraldsI guess I've been fairly lucky so far as Woolf Works will be the first time I've lost an RB booking to strikes - though I have lost bookings for other theatres - & at least I can potentially make another date. I'm busy praying they don't add any more strikes later in April. Most of my Cinderella bookings are for the only date I can see each respective cast so no chance to swap to another date if I can't get to London when I'm booked.

I managed to get a ticket for WW on 11 March, but will have to rethink the tickets I normally book from now on as the swaps and cancellations as a result of the strikes mean that the £4 charges are close to exceeding the actual value of the tickets I end up being able to attend. I don’t mind donating to the Royal Opera House in principle, but I don’t like feeling forced or dictated to as to when or how much to give away. (Yes, I could resell in this forum, but my bookings are often awkward, eg three to five seats together and not in the popular SCS areas that members frequent.) I have a feeling they might add other April dates around the Easter period. Not trying to stress out readers here, but they do often seem to be targeting holiday time travel. 

@Emeralds I'm going to have to wait for Friday rush to see if I can get a ticket for 11th March Woolf Works, as there aren't any stalls circle tickets I can afford still available for that date. If they're going to add more strikes in April I wish they'd just tell us now. The uncertainty is so stressful. I have Cinderella tickets for 5th & both performances on 10th so will be extremely disappointed if I can't get to both those dates.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Strikes have been suspended pending a new pay offer

That's some good news at least - assuming the revised offer is agreed with Network Rail and RMT.

The dispute with Aslef is still ongoing I think though? Also the dispute with RMT and the individual train companies.

• Like 1

I really hope the train companies will clarify as soon as possible what disruption there will still be on the strikes dates. I need to know by Friday whether I need to try to get a rush ticket for Woolf Works on 11th or whether I'll be able to use my original ticket for 16th.

• Like 1

I guess it hinges on the vote...although they haven’t said when the vote will be done and counting completed! 

My feeling is that if the unions haven’t categorically confirmed that the strike on the 16th or 18th (whichever date one’s show is) is definitely off, the safest bet is to buy a ticket during Friday Rush (or earlier, if budget allows) anyway. At least if you’ve gone to the first show you can always put up the second ticket for resale. But if the strike/s go/es ahead and one hasn’t attended the earlier date, then you’re left with nothing. 

11, 16, 18(evening) March are Ferri’s last performances in WW.

Marianela Nuñez’s last 2 performances in WW are 18 (matinee) & 21 March.

Natalia Osipova’s last performance in WW is 23 March. and although none of her shows are affected by rail strikes, 23 March is her last remaining show that the general public can book.

Tickets for 21 & 23 March are currently sold out and tickets for the other shows are currently 97% to 99% sold, apart from the extra Friday Rush tickets to be released on 10 & 17 March, and any returns that may go back for resale.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

This evening Avanti notified me that rail tickets were now on sale for 17 March and the timetable seemed pretty reasonable given the strikes on 16 and 18 March. Still no timetable for the two strike days. And more good news: no weekend engineering works (at least to Carlisle) so I’ve been able to book my Sunday return. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to book train tickets a whole week before travelling.

• Like 3

Just want to thank all who contribute to this thread. My upcoming trip to England will require trains (Yorkshire, Nottingham and Cirencester) and the information y'all provide makes me nervous but at least I'm an informed nervous.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...