Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to report that I got lucky yesterday with trains to and from London running perfectly on time, despite being so soon after the strike was called off. I thoroughly enjoyed the La Boheme matinee at the ROH without the nagging worry about the underground/ bus + long drive home in the dark and the rain which I had been anticipating! 

• Like 2

Well, South Western trains are affected so that might scupper my Raymonda matinee in Bristol.  I seem fated not to see it as I had to cancel my January Raymondas as our dog was ill. The final coach back to Chelt is 5.30 and the performance starts at 2pm. I haven't been to the Hippodrome and don't know how far it is from the coach station. Does anyone know how long Raymonda lasts and if I'll need to leave early to get back to the coach station? I am going to the Thurs matinee so I should manage to see it if I decide to abandon Saturdays. 

8 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Well, South Western trains are affected so that might scupper my Raymonda matinee in Bristol.  I seem fated not to see it as I had to cancel my January Raymondas as our dog was ill. The final coach back to Chelt is 5.30 and the performance starts at 2pm. I haven't been to the Hippodrome and don't know how far it is from the coach station. Does anyone know how long Raymonda lasts and if I'll need to leave early to get back to the coach station? I am going to the Thurs matinee so I should manage to see it if I decide to abandon Saturdays. 

I'm a reasonably fast walker and it's about a 10 minute walk for me. The performance is advertised as being 2 hours 40 minutes, so unless that's a long way out (and if it is you should feel justified in sloping out early) most people should be fine.

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Don't think South Western are affected (they are my "local" train company so thankfully haven't been affected by the train drivers' strikes)

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Don't think South Western are affected (they are my "local" train company so thankfully haven't been affected by the train drivers' strikes)

Sorry, I meant  Great Western Railways, not South Western. Didn't check the name, always a mistake, especially as they're not my usual company which is the dreaded Avanti who of course are also involved, so I can't go from Preston even if I wanted to.

Here are the Companies involved.

As they're all train drivers it will probably be more effective than the last Avanti strike which only included train managers. 

The 12 companies facing the fresh strike are Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Great Western Railway, Greater Anglia, London North Eastern Railway, London Overground, Northern Trains, Southeastern, Transpennine Express, and West Midlands Trains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case anyone has missed it there's a strike at the signal centre at Didcot which will affect Great Western services on Saturday 19th and Monday 21st November...so limited services and none for me to get home from Mayerling on the Monday

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

@Rob SAre you going to try an alternative mode of transport or stay overnight or not go?

Because it only affects GWR I'm going to use my rail staff travel pass to go on an overnight train(s) to somewhere and back...I can't miss Yuhui as Princess Stephanie

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Because it only affects GWR I'm going to use my rail staff travel pass to go on an overnight train(s) to somewhere and back...I can't miss Yuhui as Princess Stephanie

I saw Yuhui's Stephanie last Saturday and she was wonderful, giving a different characterization from the other Stephanies that I have seen- less scared, aware of her royal stature.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I think I'd have to pay for a berth although it would be educational, but I might just go to Brighton and back 😄

I wouldn't bet on it, I'm trying to work out how to get home next week, this

Saturday thankfully is okay but Monday to Thursday looks horrible!

39 minutes ago, Josette said:

I saw Yuhui's Stephanie last Saturday and she was wonderful, giving a different characterization from the other Stephanies that I have seen- less scared, aware of her royal stature.   

Yes she was different...like the way she took Bratfisch's hat in the brothel 😄

• Like 1

Oh sorry Beryl H I think I’ve muddled you up with someone else perhaps there’s another Beryl? 
Only I thought you were in Brighton so you must have wondered what I was going on about Thameslink trains for the other week 🙄

Brighton is definitely not affected by any strikes before the end of November. 
However weekend travel is often disrupted at this time of year by engineering works. 
I was at the station on Saturday just to buy a ticket and I saw the queues for the replacement rail buses so was very glad wasn’t going up to London right then! 

Edited by LinMM