Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

59 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

I feel your pain, Sim. The West Coast line is probably one of the worst in the country. And yet it serves so many major cities, and there are few alternatives. Still, who cares about Northerners? <sarcasm font off>

You should try living here and trying to cope with their abysmal service.  When I went to London in May I drove to a friend's near Gloucester and went on the train from there!!!

We should not have to get so stressed out about wanting to travel to and from our capital city.

• Like 5

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve only just seen these strike dates!!! Well I spent two hours on Wigan Station last Thursday because of a cancelled train and then musical seats for a while as far as Crewe as I lost my reservation on the cancelled train!! 
A couple in the waiting room had their Manchester Airport train cancelled about half an hour before with the next one not for an hour…I definitely felt relieved wasn’t trying to get to an airport 😳

Unfortunately this latest strike may affect my 21st October ticket as would have to stay in London an extra day and we are doing our yearly tax on the Monday so haven’t time to spend an extra day away that weekend! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

You're way more polite than the post I thought I better hadn't post!!

Me too Janet!

I'm probably going to go via Cheltenham on the coach for Men in Motion so that's sorted so it's just getting home on  the 22nd, as missing Vadim's Mayerling debut isn't an option!

The only National Express leaves at 8pm getting into Preston at 2.15am (presumably in preparation for leaving at 3.15am for London).  These are the only National Express coaches to and from London to Preston though I'll check Megabus. There used to be a good National Express service but that's gone like so much.

Just checked and there is a Megabus at 10am so that should be fine. It takes over 6 hours as opposed to less than 3 on the train but if it gets me home that's fine. I will go to Preston rail station this week to see if any trains at all will be running on the Saturday from London as I only need one but hopefully will be able to get back somehow.

Public transport shouldn't be like this!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

You should try living here and trying to cope with their abysmal service.

I did & have. I remember once leaving Euston at 7pm to get home to the Lancashire county town. Should have been home & in bed by 11pm. Instead, I was walking home from the station at 5am the next morning. I got half my ticket price refunded. This was in the grand old days of Virgin!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

I did & have. I remember once leaving Euston at 7pm to get home to the Lancashire county town. Should have been home & in bed by 11pm. Instead, I was walking home from the station at 5am the next morning. I got half my ticket price refunded. This was in the grand old days of Virgin!

Believe me, I was thrilled when Avanti got the franchise but now I wish Virgin were back as Avanti are even worse!!

• Like 3

Us current  West Coast users look back to the days of dear old Virgin as some sort of rail travel golden age. Mythical it might  be but,  like Janet says, it certainty beats what we have now. I can only conclude that the government minister who gave Avanti a six month extension doesn't have to use it. If they'd just ask few users before they make these decisions they may not be as quick to give them another go.

• Like 3

Has anyone heard anything about whether these next strikes are going to be just for Avanti, given their considerable recent issues, or if the RMT will be striking on all train lines again? I can't currently find anything about future strikes on the National Rail website. I was thinking about going to Men in Motion, I was waiting on them announcing the full programme before finally deciding, but if there's going to be a mass strike on that day then the decision will be out of my hands.

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Has anyone heard anything about whether these next strikes are going to be just for Avanti, given their considerable recent issues, or if the RMT will be striking on all train lines again? I can't currently find anything about future strikes on the National Rail website. I was thinking about going to Men in Motion, I was waiting on them announcing the full programme before finally deciding, but if there's going to be a mass strike on that day then the decision will be out of my hands.

I don't know for certain but I would expect other train companies would be involved.  The other issue is that if the railway workers who maintain the lines and operate the signals are striking then there may be issues even if specific companies aren't on strike.  The train company running our local service reached an agreement with their employees some time ago but we are still affected if the signalmen are out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feared that would probably be the case. It sounds like I won't be seeing Men In Motion no matter what the programme ends up being then! I guess at least I'm luckier than others in living near enough to London to go straight home after Mayerling on 21st so I shouldn't be affected by any 22nd strikes, if they spread beyond Avanti on that date too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The quote I  used earlier came from the RMT website and specifically mentioned Avanti, as the problem relates ro rosters Avanti bosses have tried to impose on train managers. Mick Lynch was very scathing about Avanti and said they're one of the worst companies he's ever had to negotiate with and they should never have had their franchise renewed (which any user knows).

However, like Janet says, if other rail Companies or Network Rail get involved then it can end up affecting more than West Coast passengers. Its impossible to say, things are so volatile at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Re-nationalise the railways! To be honest, I never found British Rail to be as bad as it was painted. I've also lived in other countries with far less rail infrastructure, and I know how much better the UK rail infrastructure is. We have the potential for an excellent system here in the UK. What's stopping us?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

Re-nationalise the railways! To be honest, I never found British Rail to be as bad as it was painted. I've also lived in other countries with far less rail infrastructure, and I know how much better the UK rail infrastructure is. We have the potential for an excellent system here in the UK. What's stopping us?

Yes. The LNER was renationalised and, while not perfect, is efficient. It's just come out as the most successful of all the train companies (not a high bar!) and now there are more passengers using it than before the pandemic- a vote of confidence.

The other train company I use, TransPennine Express, while not so bad as Avanti, is a nightmare. Trains are cancelled without warning, other than a sign against every train journey on the website that it might be cancelled. In the end I didn't dare booking for an evening performance of the brilliant NB triple in Leeds as there was no guarantee I could get home (presumably if you are warned to check before travelling the company isn't then obliged to take you home by bus or taxi if the last train is cancelled). And when I went to Liverpool to see ENB the direct train to Newcastle was cancelled- as were all the subsequent direct trains.

• Like 3

If I ruled the world (cue: Harry Secombe), I would make it part of the contract for every manager of public transport services that neither they, nor any member of their immediate family, could use a car for any purpose for at least two weeks each month. Then they would learn, first-hand, what it's like to be totally dependent on trains and buses to go about one's daily life.

We might see some changes then!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Yes. The LNER was renationalised and, while not perfect, is efficient. It's just come out as the most successful of all the train companies (not a high bar!) and now there are more passengers using it than before the pandemic- a vote of confidence.

The other train company I use, TransPennine Express, while not so bad as Avanti, is a nightmare. Trains are cancelled without warning, other than a sign against every train journey on the website that it might be cancelled. In the end I didn't dare booking for an evening performance of the brilliant NB triple in Leeds as there was no guarantee I could get home (presumably if you are warned to check before travelling the company isn't then obliged to take you home by bus or taxi if the last train is cancelled). And when I went to Liverpool to see ENB the direct train to Newcastle was cancelled- as were all the subsequent direct trains.

I've just got back from a journey using 3 train companies- Thameslink/LNER and the so called train company Transpennine 'express' ha ha!-

to see an elderly relative in Lincolnshire- which was, not urgent exactly, but important, and my time was limited. LNER was rather good, indeed.

I got to Doncaster to find- NO Transpennine trains at all for 4 hrs, and no replacement bus either..I  had no option but to take a taxi which cost a lot of money. Returning today- the same- both the trains I could have used were cancelled at the  last minute. It is a complete disgrace. Can't call it a service at all.

How on earth people manage in the area I do not know -I spoke to some hapless passengers at the station who said it has been like this for weeks.. they have all my sympathy and I am writing to complain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mary said:

I've just got back from a journey using 3 train companies- Thameslink/LNER and the so called train company Transpennine 'express' ha ha!-

to see an elderly relative in Lincolnshire- which was, not urgent exactly, but important, and my time was limited. LNER was rather good, indeed.

I got to Doncaster to find- NO Transpennine trains at all for 4 hrs, and no replacement bus either..I  had no option but to take a taxi which cost a lot of money. Returning today- the same- both the trains I could have used were cancelled at the  last minute. It is a complete disgrace. Can't call it a service at all.

How on earth people manage in the area I do not know -I spoke to some hapless passengers at the station who said it has been like this for weeks.. they have all my sympathy and I am writing to complain.

And then they all expect us to use our trains instead of cars.  You know what, anyone who says that should be made to rely on these train lines for even one week, and then they might well change their tune.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

And then they all expect us to use our trains instead of cars.  You know what, anyone who says that should be made to rely on these train lines for even one week, and then they might well change their tune.  

Wouldn't we all use trains if they were reliable, affordable and well-maintained. They have a long way to go before any of those requirements are likely to be met.

• Like 4

Roads have been carnage around here this fortnight with the rail strikes followed by the tram strikes. The rail services  here are like that nursery rhyme about the little girl with the curl.....when they’re good, they’re very very good; when they’re bad they’re horrid. We have some routine days that are like strike days- it only takes someone standing too close to the platform edge (why can’t people listen to instructions about not standing beyond the yellow lines?) then falling in or a signal fault and the whole service is out of action for hours. Worse still, they don’t tell you that it’s out of action until they’ve kept you delayed for 35 minutes with promises that a service is on the way. 

I've had quite good luck with timing so far - haven't yet had to call anything off because of the strikes, either because they've not gone ahead (after the Queen died) or because I had a coach booked anyway because it's cheaper. But I should put in a good word anyway for GWR, who since they restored the later trains last Autumn have been about as reliable as you can reasonably expect. There have been some delays and cancellations, but they're running a complex operation in very challenging conditions, so I take my hat off to whoever's keeping the show on the road. My only real complaint is about the "ironing board" seats!

(I do drive but think there have been two occasions ever where I've driven to London - it's not something I would normally consider even as a fallback.)

• Like 2

I drove a lot for my job in last few years of working and really enjoy being behind the wheel (within about a 100 mile radius)  but haven’t driven up into London for about eight years and probably won’t again now unless in some kind of emergency. 

3rd November there will be a TFL/tube strike.  (Of course I have to have not one - but two performances at ROH on that day.)  Other dates for national rail outlets - 5th and 8th November I believe.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

3rd November there will be a TFL/tube strike.  (Of course I have to have not one - but two performances at ROH on that day.)  Other dates for national rail outlets - 5th and 8th November I believe.  

If you have a travelcard that covers Zones or an Oystercard that deducts as you travel (with a daily limit on how much you can be charged), Bruce, ROH is well served by trains.

Charing Cross station (Southeastern trains with connections to London Bridge, Waterloo East, Kent) is within walking distance to ROH (about 15-20mins).

City Thameslink (use the St Paul’s exit) is also near- which gets trains from Blackfriars, St Pancras, Farringdon, London Bridge, East Croydon, Peterborough, Cambridge, Bedford, Gatwick, Brighton, etc) which is about 25 minutes’ walk from the other direction - if the buses aren’t packed, a few go from outside City Thameslink station to the front of Kings College London and Courtauld Institute of Art and ROH is just across the road to Aldwych and a 6 minute stroll up to Bow Street, which can save you 15mins (but sometimes the buses might not arrive for ages, so just watch the time).

Or if you prefer, you can also walk down Waterloo Bridge from the Strand & Aldwych (past Lyceum Theatre) to go directly to Waterloo Station if that’s easier to connect for you. On the bright side, at least you get 2 shows to make up for the inconvenience- hopefully not too tricky to arrive for the first show on time. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The reports I've seen give the train strike dates as 3rd, 5th and 7th November.

• Thanks 1

You won’t be able to use Thameslink trains that easily on the 3rd 5th or the 7th as RMT union has just announced strikes for those dates and their strikes affect both Thameslink and Southern trains. 
Something will have to give for me that week as have ballet outings at ROH, Sadlers Wells and Chelsea Ballet annual performance that week plus my usual weekly London outings or I will have to spend the whole week from Tuesday to Sunday in London!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

You won’t be able to use Thameslink trains that easily on the 3rd 5th or the 7th as RMT union has just announced strikes for those dates and their strikes affect both Thameslink and Southern trains. 
Something will have to give for me that week as have ballet outings at ROH, Sadlers Wells and Chelsea Ballet annual performance that week plus my usual weekly London outings or I will have to spend the whole week from Tuesday to Sunday in London!!!!

Now both Tube and rail on the same day? ☹️😮 There goes my nice plan to see Northern Ballet. 

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

There is on Nov 3rd as I understand it. 

Nov 5th is now affected by both Avanti strikes and RMT strikes. 

And BRB! 

Life was a lot simpler in lockdown.....and I’ll be seeing the same number of live ballet performances during strike week as during lockdown= zero. 🤣

• Like 1

Apparently, the RMT strikes on the 3, 5, 7 Nov involves Network Rail signalling so disruption could be quite widespread. I'd already decided to see Men in Motion on the 6th by going by coach from Cheltenham. Good job I did but I wonder how other audience members will manage? The rail bosses were saying significantly fewer people were using the trains. Is that surprising?

Rail workers are also voting on another 6 months of strikes. Ballots close Nov 15th.

• Thanks 1

The information seems a lot more chaotic this month. Network Rail seem to think the trains are running normally (!!) while the Guardian and some news outlets are saying 3, 5, 7 by members of those unions. Which seems to mean there may be occasional trains being staffed by non members. I can’t really do anything about it now- I can’t stay overnight as the trains were there to help get from one appointment to the next on time, and without the trains, I have to prioritise the other appointments which just means I won’t get to see NB or BRB as all other time slots eg Wednesday to Friday nights are already  filled. Argh - I was looking forward to the programmes but unless I can fly, like Superman, or the strikes are called off, it ain’t gonna happen. 

Edited by Emeralds