Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Apparently, the RMT strikes on the 3, 5, 7 Nov involves Network Rail signalling so disruption could be quite widespread. I'd already decided to see Men in Motion on the 6th by going by coach from Cheltenham. Good job I did but I wonder how other audience members will manage? The rail bosses were saying significantly fewer people were using the trains. Is that surprising?

Rail workers are also voting on another 6 months of strikes. Ballots close Nov 15th.

I'm holding off thinking about booking for Men In Motion until it's clearer what impact the strikes will have this time round. I managed to do theatregoing on 6th & 7th October in between the strikes on 5th & 8th so maybe 6th November will also be possible in between 5th & 7th but I'm not counting on it yet. I'm hoping that these 3 strike days in the first week of November will be it for November, as I have theatre bookings later in the month that I'd be a lot more annoyed if I couldn't get to.

Avanti have just advertised tickets on sale for this Saturday. Whoopi do. Fancy, 2 days notice, they're spoiling us. As I said previously I've booked an off peak return anyway, just not booked a seat, but as they seem to have quite a few trains running despite train managers on strike I'll hope I'll be OK.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Just updating, a bit belatedly, to say that the RMT has cancelled the strike on November 3rd as it clashed with Poppy Day.  They're adding one on 9th November instead :(

And what's happening to the "linked-yet-separate" tube strikes?

More Avanti problems. Just seen an email warning of driver shortages and possible cancellations:

“We're getting in touch as you're due to travel with us on 29 Oct at 10:03 from Penrith to London Euston. We are currently experiencing staff shortages which may result in some short notice cancellations. We're doing all we can to run all services so please check in the morning of your day of travel to confirm if your train is running. 

If your service is cancelled you can choose to travel on the Avanti West Coast service before or after your booked train. Alternatively, if you no longer wish to travel, you can claim a full, fee-free refund.”

There’s a link to check latest news which is still showing the 10:03 as running but there’s a doubt about some trains after 10:00.

This weekend all services travel via Birmingham and take an extra 80 minutes rather than the 3 hours 10 minutes.

The train before 10:00 is 8:00 and I’m 45 minutes from the station. So do I have to be ready to leave at just after 7:00 just in case the 10:00 is cancelled?

I still can’t understand why Avanti were given a 6 month contract extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Journey Planner was actually working a few minutes ago, instead of the "Bad Request" that usually comes up. I should be alright next week now that the strike on 3rd November is cancelled, but have had to cancel SW for the 10th November because of the Tube Strike. 

• Thanks 1

Best of luck John. I was so lucky going to Birmingham and back yesterday.  No problem at all, although I had been half expecting at least one cancellation.  I am dumbfounded as to how poor their service is.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, JohnS said:

More Avanti problems. Just seen an email warning of driver shortages and possible cancellations:

“We're getting in touch as you're due to travel with us on 29 Oct at 10:03 from Penrith to London Euston. We are currently experiencing staff shortages which may result in some short notice cancellations. We're doing all we can to run all services so please check in the morning of your day of travel to confirm if your train is running. 

If your service is cancelled you can choose to travel on the Avanti West Coast service before or after your booked train. Alternatively, if you no longer wish to travel, you can claim a full, fee-free refund.”

There’s a link to check latest news which is still showing the 10:03 as running but there’s a doubt about some trains after 10:00.

This weekend all services travel via Birmingham and take an extra 80 minutes rather than the 3 hours 10 minutes.

The train before 10:00 is 8:00 and I’m 45 minutes from the station. So do I have to be ready to leave at just after 7:00 just in case the 10:00 is cancelled?

I still can’t understand why Avanti were given a 6 month contract extension.

Oh no, not again. Just when I was congratulating myself on the possibility of a stress free journey, having had to stay in London an extra night last weekend because of signalling problems at Euston. I'm due to get the 10am from Preston and haven't had any notification to say it's problematic. I've just signed up for WhatsApp messaging service so will have to see. At least I've all day to get there, and no, I don't know why Avanti were given a franchise extension. Epitomises how useless this government is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see the 10:03 is now cancelled. I’ll have to go for the 8:00 and hope there’s a seat but the 7:00 is also cancelled so it’s likely to busy. I’ll try changing my seat reservation but I’ll be very surprised if that works as there don’t seem to be any tickets for the 8:00 train.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I see the 10:03 is now cancelled. I’ll have to go for the 8:00 and hope there’s a seat but the 7:00 is also cancelled so it’s likely to busy. I’ll try changing my seat reservation but I’ll be very surprised if that works as there don’t seem to be any tickets for the 8:00 train.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Yes Good luck JohnS

Beryl I’m not 100 percent sure but I thought you travelled from Brighton? 
If you did want to go to SW on the 10th you could get a Thameslink train to either Farringdon or Kings Cross( St Pancras Internat) and it is possible to walk from both especially from Farringdon. It’s a short bus journey down to Kings Cross as well. 
The Thameslink trains are every 15 mins from Brighton so more frequent than Southern …as long as no cancellations etc. I haven’t used Southern for about six months or so now as it’s also quicker to get to central London from City Thameslink station than from Victoria at the moment as it’s a much shorter bus journey especially to the main theatre area. 

• Like 1

Yes I often get 341 to the Angel from near Aldwych. 
That stops just across the road though   about a three min walk rather than right outside the station. 
It’s very precarious crossing the road there though as there’s a sort of two way bike lane and some cyclists don’t always stop when the lights are green for pedestrians to cross inspite of it being a huge junction there at Ludgate Circus..  so have to be on guard when crossing!! 
I suppose it’s about going home though. Both buses and trains start to get less frequent somewhere between  9- 10pm at night. If I’m not back in Brighton by 11.30pm I would have to take an expensive taxi ride to get home as it’s still four miles away from the station. 

Good to be heading for London and I have a seat! The 8:00 is surprisingly quiet given all the cancellations and very much looking forward to tonight’s Mayerling. Could have done with the clocks changing today rather than tomorrow.

• Like 4

some good news From the Guardian

The RMT rail union has announced that it has suspended strikes planned for tomorrow (5 November), Monday (7 November) and Wednesday (9 November). 

Edited by oncnp

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I really hope "suspended" isn't going to mean there will be strikes later in the month instead.

Wouldn't surprise me.  Or they will wait until nearer Christmas when people will be even more affected.

That sounds promising. The BBC article says "a fresh RMT strike ballot is due to close on 15 November" so assuming they shouldn't announce any strikes until after that then at least I should get to see the rest of the Mayerlings I have booked. Although potentially ominious for Nutcrackers!

Don’t worry Dawnstar they are bound to choose the following week which is my birthday week and have quite a few events and “meetings up” in London that week including my very first live event with London Ballet Circle booked which I’ve been trying to get to for over a year now!! So have an idea that will be the week! 
Though it is said both sides are now in serious and intense negotiations (finally) so perhaps there is hope for a breakthrough. Even Mike Lynch could not have foreseen how things would work out regards our current economy status so some compromise on both sides could possibly happen 🤞