Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

Oh, I've already got a ticket for the opera, I booked that back in July when booking opened. I am getting increasingly reluctant to book things in advance though, as there seems to be no end to the strikes. I would like to go to Don Q on 28th October but with it being a Saturday & half term I have a horrible feeling there may well be another strike that day so I daren't book in advance. I think I'm going to be doung a lot of crossing fingers for getting Friday rush tickets this coming season.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also as far as I know on the work to rule days itā€™s seems from Brighton at least you can only get as far as London Bridge!!Ā 
Does that mean there are no trains going either East or North of London Bridge?Ā 
So none to Bedford and none to Cambridge? And none to Kings Cross? All a bit strange so Looks like if trains are running after 6pm on the 3rd will have to use Victoria Line and not Thameslink.Ā 

All 3 train routes - Kings Cross, St Pancras & Liverpool Street - are currently showing as running. Though I would suspect that if anything does get cut due to lack of drivers then the Brighton route might be the first to go, given trains on that route seem to get cancelled the most under normal conditions. I was very relieved when I went down to Chichester at the end of August that the trains I needed to/from Three Bridges did run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Also as far as I know on the work to rule days itā€™s seems from Brighton at least you can only get as far as London Bridge!!Ā 
Does that mean there are no trains going either East or North of London Bridge?Ā 
So none to Bedford and none to Cambridge? And none to Kings Cross?

Ā 

Since those are operated by Thameslink, I presume not.

I have avoided this thread recently as I was really looking forward to the new RB season which, for me, kicks off with the Don Q rehearsal on 30th and I didnā€™t want any bad news. Sadly, Iā€™ve checked my trains this morning and the industrial action on 30th plus engineering works on 7th are worse than I could have expected. Iā€™m hoping that there might be some better travel news later this weekā€¦.

I had understood that the train companies would put their amended timetables, for both strike and no-overtime days, on the national websiteĀ  so that we could see what was actually running on the days concerned. However, I am not sure this is the case. One wants some kind of certainty even if the news is bad. There seem to be those little yellow triangles with an exclamation mark- when I click one it takes me round to the train company website, announcing the fact there will be amended timetables, which takes me to the place I started. It is this sort of thing that saps the will to try to go anywhere.

Ā 

Edited by Mary
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mary said:

I had understood that the train companies would put their amended timetables, for both strike and no-overtime days, on the national websiteĀ  so that we could see what was actually running on the days concerned. However, I am not sure this is the case. One wants some kind of certainty even if the news is bad. There seem to be those little yellow triangles with an exclamation mark- when I click one it takes me round to the train company website, announcing the fact there will be amended timetables, which takes me to the place I started. It is this sort of thing that saps the will to try to go anywhere.

Ā 

Ā 

I don't want to like your comment Mary but what you have said is exactly how I feel.

Ā 

I ended up driving to York and back at the end of June because engineering works on the way home would have given me a journey time of 5 hours rather than just over 2!

Ā 

I was going to take the train to Nottingham in a couple of weeks (it's a lovely journey) but there is a strike day when I am there so I am worrying about the knock on effect to the morning after when I am due to come home.

I'd assumed that it would be the same as usual, and that I could - at least to some extent - get round it if I tried hard enough.Ā  The London Bridge message which I posted somewhere above, however, makes me worried that that won't be the case.Ā  And unfortunately I'm no longer on a direct bus route up to London ...

Talk about tricky!!Ā 
I went to the station this afternoon to see if had timetable for next week work to rule trains.Ā 
No they hadnā€™t got them yet now expected on Saturday.Ā 
I said well Saturday would be okay as in town so can call in at station etc.Ā 

Then he said but you might not be able to get in as the gates might be locked because of the (Saturday) strike.Ā 
But the ticket office staff will be here?Ā 
Yes we have to come in or we wonā€™t get paid.Ā 
But nobody will be able to buy tickets or find out any information ?Ā 
Probably not!Ā 
So looking like the chances of going up to London even for the day next Tuesday are diminishing rapidly.Ā 

Attempted to see the Don Q general rehearsal today by driving to the nearest tube station which is an hour away. All car parks full and the local area practically grid locked as everyone else is trying to get to London too. Gave up and went homeā€¦ šŸ˜¢

Oh dear.Ā  I was considering trying a very roundabout way of getting to Sadler's Wells this afternoon, but it would have required going diagonally across London, and 4 different modes of transport, so I gave up in the end.Ā  Still trying to work out whether it's feasible for Wednesday.

And apart from the strikes the engineering works... Iā€™ve found getting to Dante on a late November Saturday (possibly a day people might want to get there for lights/shopping?) ... two

trains and two replacement buses to get there and... Iā€™ll have to miss the final act or creep out to get home as the last train isnā€™t running ... either way I try and go itā€™s buses and lengthy delays...

Yes, itā€™s so annoying. Ā I should be going to see Our Voices tonight, but had to exchange it for a fee. Next week Iā€™m taking my child to see the LSO, but there are engineering works which means either skipping Symphonic Dance (unthinkable, surely) or getting home extra late on a school night. Ā It makes you want to give up and not bother any more.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/20/avanti-west-coast-cut-services-december-rail-train

Ā 

More cuts to northern rail services from the 'improved' Avanti rail company that's just had its franchise extended by the government.Ā  You do despair,Ā  especially when some unions have just voted to continue strike action as well (not that I blame them for that). I'm just glad I've nothing more booked in London until January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jmhopton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/20/avanti-west-coast-cut-services-december-rail-train

Ā 

More cuts to northern rail services from the 'improved' Avanti rail company that's just had its franchise extended by the government.Ā  You do despair,Ā  especially when some unions have just voted to continue strike action as well (not that I blame them for that). I'm just glad I've nothing more booked in London until January.

Ā 

Liverpool isn't mentioned but you can bet your bottom dollar we will be!

Ā 

I do not know how we are expected to use public transport with such inadequate service.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

From The Guardian:

Ā 

Ā 

The RMT union has reached a possible deal with train operators to resolve their long-running national rail dispute, allaying fears of a repeat ofĀ last yearā€™s Christmas strikes.

The union, which represents 20,000 crew and station staff, has drawn up a ā€œmemorandum of understandingā€ (MOU) with employers to ballot members at the train operating companies over a deal which would backdate pay rises and give more guarantees over jobs.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

While it'll be good if they can sort out the RMT issues, the Aslef strikes are even more disruptive than RMT's & it sounds like they will be continuing. (And even if there aren't any Christmas strikes this year my trains to London are still due to be screwed due to engineering works!)

Oh dear, as soon as I'd read an internal email about the RMT's arrangements I go and see this news....Nutcracker double show days on 6th and 7th affected depending on where you're coming from...locals will be affected for opening night.Ā 

Iā€™m going to an LBC event on the 6th but will already be in London as itā€™s final day at City Lit on the Tuesday however I donā€™t think I will be travelling back to Brighton on the 6th ( there is already a reduced timetable that week anyway) so will have to stay another night.Ā 
Am just hoping they donā€™t call a tube strike for the 6th as well!Ā 

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Oh dear, as soon as I'd read an internal email about the RMT's arrangements I go and see this news....Nutcracker double show days on 6th and 7th affected depending on where you're coming from...locals will be affected for opening night.Ā 

Ā 

especially if a Nutcracker double involves a matinee in Birmingham and an evening at Covent Garden... eekĀ 

• Like 2