Ongoing UK rail strike action thread

Rob S

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/03/2023 at 13:21, Jan McNulty said:

I am incandescent with rage.  It has been announced today that Avanti has been given another 6 month extension on its franchise.

How can the government justify this ludicrous decision???

It looks as if we have some good news ( in a sort of way) on the train situation today at long, long last. ......................Transpennine service has been an utter disgrace for far too long.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mary said:

It looks as if we have some good news ( in a sort of way) on the train situation today at long, long last. ......................Transpennine service has been an utter disgrace for far too long.

But sadly I’ve just seen a rail expert saying they haven’t got enough drivers so there probably won’t be much improvement in service!

I don’t think any rail company has sufficient drivers. Avanti in chaos this morning with 10:03 Penrith to Euston train cancelled because of staff shortages. Now sadly an incident at Rugby and all trains being held. I thought my outward journey would be fine and I’d have real difficulties in getting back on Saturday.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I don’t think any rail company has sufficient drivers. Avanti in chaos this morning with 10:03 Penrith to Euston train cancelled because of staff shortages. Now sadly an incident at Rugby and all trains being held. I thought my outward journey would be fine and I’d have real difficulties in getting back on Saturday.

I hope you get to London safely and in time for your performance.  Then hopefully a smooth journey home.

• Like 4

Avanti published a limited Saturday service earlier in the week and Penrith train staff were able to book me a seat - they as always are excellent. But Avanti’s advice is don’t travel unless essential and expect over full trains/further changes. Anyhow I’m optimistic that I’ll make tonight’s and tomorrow’s Sleeping Beauty performances and hopefully get home at some point on Saturday.

• Like 4

Just to say my much feared journey home today proved to be extremely relaxing and uneventful. Avanti’s dire warnings must have been sufficiently discouraging because there were not too many people at Euston and a very quiet ‘quiet’ coach. The train was on time and I guess the only problem was the lack of any shop, not that it bothered me as I very rarely use the shop.

The enforced extra night in London because of the train strike has been put to good use: two Sleeping Beauties; a visit to the National Gallery’s ‘After Impressionism: Inventing Modern Art’ which I’d highly recommend; and I even managed the free lunchtime performance in the Floral Hall - a very engaging Italian couple giving a violin/piano recital drawing on operatic variations making for a very enjoyable hour. 

• Like 18

• 1 month later...

Drat, I'd got a ROH Nozze di Figaro booked on 20th July so bang goes that. The far sides of the stalls circle are in use for this production so I'd managed to get a ticket for only £27. Now there's nothing available under £69 for the other dates & I don't want to pay that much so I guess I won't be seeing it at all.

For once I'm lucky....Traviata 19th and and Carlos 26th, so unless they decide to throw in another strike day for good measure (and I don't put anything past them) it won't affect me or my friends coming along.  

I've got Carlos on 27th so I really hope they don't add any more strike dates. As it is, Nozze will be the 5th performance in just over a year that I've been unable to get to due to strikes, and 3 of the 4 previous ones were unrearrangable.

I don’t think the RMT Union will announce any more strike days for July …but ASLEF might as so far they have only said July 2nd (Sunday) so am expecting at least one more from them and just hope they don’t attach to the RMT days. 
Luckily the RMT dates don’t affect things I’m doing in London as travelling up on 19th and back on 21st!!  And then again up on 26th (Carlos) and back on 28th …so pretty lucky!!! 

However am trying to arrange a trip to Cambridge second weekend of July which also coincides with Wimbledon so am not booking until last minute as have a feeling at least one or two of the Wimbledon dates will be targeted by ASLEF 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another strike: 

'Aslef have announced a one-day strike affecting 16 train companies across England on Friday 1st September, but there will also be an overtime ban on the following day, Saturday 2nd September, which will likely severely affect the train company’s ability to restore services following the strike. The Saturday disruption will also be magnified by an RMT strike on the same day. So the likely effect is hardly any trains for two days.'

• Thanks 2

This one will affect me unfortunately as coming up to London on 31st for the ENB masterclass which means can’t travel back on the 1st as intended. Just hope ASLEF don’t call a tube strike for the 31st or that really will put the kibosh on things! 

9 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, my locals are announcing no trains whatsoever on the 1st, but a limited service on the 2nd.  I can't keep up with this.

Unfortunately all these strikes affect people who are powerless to do anything about them. Those in a position to do so will be unaffected by them so no real incentive. So sad.

• Like 2

Just realised that I'm going to have to abandon all attempts to Prom this coming Saturday: I'll have no trains on the way home, any way I try it.  I managed last time this strike was on, so I guess there must be Bank Holiday engineering works getting in the way as well :(

• 3 weeks later...