Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

12 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Siegfried seemed a bit more smiley and perky this time round, whether it was the free programme he received or confidence in his post-Prince career as a swan-like sanctuary manager, I don’t know.

From where I am sitting Siegfried is incredibly ‘down’ most of the time

I don’t get the second part of your sentence at all, I’m afraid.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

From where I am sitting Siegfried is incredibly ‘down’ most of the time

I don’t get the second part of your sentence at all, I’m afraid.

Rob is referring to some light-hearted posts much further up this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is the Ukranian national anthem a long piece? I'm wondering how late Friday's performance may end, with the Ukranian national anthem at the beginning & whatever they do for Bonelli at the end added onto the already 3 hour running time. It doesn't help that the covid-revised timetable my trains were running to has reverted back to normal so the train I'd ideally like to get leaves Kings Cross at 23.09 rather than 23.12.

1 minute ago, Mary said:

Fantastic! A privilege,  yes. 

And Prince Charles is really enjoying it.

Well I knew some Prince in the place looked a bit smilier than normal! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mary said:

Fantastic! A privilege,  yes. 

And Prince Charles is really enjoying it.

I’m in the GT so I’ll try and catch HRH! I’ve got Malcolm Rifkind in front of me - I was trying to think who he was!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Vadim was floating on air ...never seen him better 🙂

Agree. And with aching sorrow, and passion. He told us what he would be thinking of tonight: and it showed. Deeply moving. 

• Like 15

Gosh what an incredible night.  Highly emotional from start to finish.  Miss Naghdi was sensational; almost in tears as Odette, positively revelling in her evil in Act 3. Lovely dancing from Vadim but I didn’t get much characterisation from him tonight.  He should be thrilled in Act 3 that his love has turned up, but I didn’t get any of that from him.  I am sure he has other worries at the moment.  Elegant dancing as always from James Hay as Benno.  

I am liking this production more and more, and tonight the ending seemed to make sense and be appropriate.  

Beautiful, lush playing by the orchestra under Koen Kessels.  

The standing ovation at the end was thoroughly deserved.  This was a wonderful company night and I was privileged to be there.  Thanks to all of them for reminding us that there is beauty in this world.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Oh and Kevin O’Hare announced Marianela Nuñez was getting over covid 

Sending her very good wishes, I really hope she's better for her next performance. Yasmine was stunning tonight, as was Vadim, but I didn't quite feel an intense connection between them.

James Hay was a superb Benno, did he even touch the floor? He and Vadim were flying throughout, glorious performances from both. Yasmine was a dynamite Odile - the way she nailed those fouettés! I have to say I preferred her Odile to her Odette. Her Odette was technically flawless, I just didn't detect as much emotion between her and Siegfried at their first meeting.

Bennet Gartside - a sublime Rothbart! Delightfully evil, quite hilarious to see him being "booed" at the curtain call in a slightly pantomime-esque fashion. Hugely astounded by the corps, such strength and musicality! Also very much enjoyed Yuhui Choe/Luca Acri's Neapolitan dance, and Gina Storm-Jensen's performance in the Spanish Dance. Very glad to see Melissa Hamilton receive flowers at the end as well - beautiful performance from her as one of the Two Swans, with Mariko Sasaki.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Is the Ukranian national anthem a long piece? I'm wondering how late Friday's performance may end, with the Ukranian national anthem at the beginning & whatever they do for Bonelli at the end added onto the already 3 hour running time. It doesn't help that the covid-revised timetable my trains were running to has reverted back to normal so the train I'd ideally like to get leaves Kings Cross at 23.09 rather than 23.12.

2 minutes

https://youtu.be/mUfwy3f3R4s

• Like 1

Nunez has posted on Facebook that she is heartbroken not to performing tonight and says she knows everyone dancing will produce a wonderful performance. She also hopes to be performing in her other shows. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Is the Ukranian national anthem a long piece? I'm wondering how late Friday's performance may end, with the Ukranian national anthem at the beginning & whatever they do for Bonelli at the end added onto the already 3 hour running time. 

It seemed very short to me - also very beautiful and moving. It definitely added to the intensity and power of the performance as a whole.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, art_enthusiast said:

Slightly surprised they're comfortable appearing in public after the Prince Andrew debacle.
(But I understand this thread is not about them, so I'll stop here!)

What Andrew did or didn’t do has nothing to do with the rest of the Royal Family and there is no reason whatsoever that they should not appear in public or carry out their public duties.  

• Like 20

6 hours ago, MJW said:

I’ve just been told it’s for next season!

I’ve already cashed mine in at a performance of R&J.  An offer like this must be taken in case they change their minds.  Two years Friends+ subscriptions with no performances and we get one free programme.  Heaven.

Guest oncnp
30 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

😂

Perhaps reading the original post too literally but someone feeling "down" (depressed/demoralized) is funny?

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Perhaps reading the original post too literally but someone feeling "down" (depressed/demoralized) is funny?

the fact that quotation marks are used is indicative of this being a joke/pun - I assume based on the fact that down is the name given to the under-feathers of waterfowl.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Since I was the one who used the word, I can assure you that no pun was intended at all. It is a word I often use in everyday life (for unhappy/depressed etc) and was unaware that it would be interpreted in any other way. My single inverted commas were there because they felt right in that sentence. I regret the way that this thread has developed in consequence.

At the time, I was struggling to understand RobS’s humorous post as I wasn’t aware of Prince Charles’s presence and I was simply thinking how very hard the whole situation must be for Vadim.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2