Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

As I have had enough of clearing broken branches following the storm on Friday, I thought I might as well start a thread for the Royal Ballet's performances of Swan Lake which start next week. 

I am very much looking forward to my trips on 1st (Nunez and Muntagirov) and 16th March (Bracewell and Hayward) and it will be the first time I have been to Opening Night.

Here are some rehearsal photos from ROH's Flickr of Cesar Corrales and Mayara Magri

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/albums/72177720296700854

and from 2020 with William Bracewell (who I am particularly looking forward to seeing having seen his Romeo)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/albums/72177720296516106

• Like 10

• MJW changed the title to Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Winter 2022)
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, MJW said:

I am very much looking forward to my trips on 1st (Nunez and Muntagirov) and 16th March (Bracewell and Hayward) and it will be the first time I have been to Opening Night.

and just a reminder there is scheduled to be general tube strike on 1 and 3 March

After seeing a clip of Fumi Kaneko in the recent Rome gala (with Vadim Muntagirov) … her oozy extensions as Black Swan WOW’ed me … I’ve been watching to nab a return for her long delayed debut.  Very excited to get one.  

I’m also seeing Nuñez/Muntagirov as I loved their rehearsal with Liam Scarlett … from before the first performance of his production.  

• Like 3

I was excited to nab a ticket for Kaneko / Bonelli this morning as well! Inspired by their insight rehearsal, but also makes sense (for various non ballet reasons) for me to be in London overnight to watch the Nuñez / Muntagirov matinée I'd previously booked for the following day! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DanJL said:

I was excited to nab a ticket for Kaneko / Bonelli this morning as well! Inspired by their insight rehearsal, but also makes sense (for various non ballet reasons) for me to be in London overnight to watch the Nuñez / Muntagirov matinée I'd previously booked for the following day! 

You might want to check that....according to the website none of the Nunez SL performances are matinees. 

Edited by oncnp

Thrilled to have scored returns for Fede Bonelli’s last available Swan Lake for regulars. Never mind that my friend and I can’t sit together and we’re not sure how restricted the view is - never sat or stood there before - but as long as we can see Fumi and Fede we are happy! Fingers crossed there will be no more Storms, and no transport strikes that night! 

• Like 2

I count myself among the Fumi / Fede fanclub - I was in the audience for their insight, and they were the cast I knew I wanted to book for as soon as the tickets were released for Friends. I managed to get a very nice set of balcony tickets (and have never sat there before) so I'm very excited!

I was really impressed with Fede's eloquence at the insight evening, so although I'll be very sorry to see him go, I can imagine he's going to have a great future as a creative director. 

I've traditionally booked SL for Osipova in the past because of the fireworks she brings to Act III, so I'm sad not to see her this time, but very pleased with getting to witness Fumi's debut - she's so inherently elegant and glamorous I really can't wait to see her Odette / Odile. Judging by the insight, I think she's going to be incredible in both roles.

I have another set of tickets for Hirano / Lamb later in the run - cast was at random, as I just needed it to be a Saturday evening. Has anyone seen them in Swan Lake before?  🙂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LianneEva said:

I count myself among the Fumi / Fede fanclub - I was in the audience for their insight, and they were the cast I knew I wanted to book for as soon as the tickets were released for Friends. I managed to get a very nice set of balcony tickets (and have never sat there before) so I'm very excited!

I was really impressed with Fede's eloquence at the insight evening, so although I'll be very sorry to see him go, I can imagine he's going to have a great future as a creative director. 

I've traditionally booked SL for Osipova in the past because of the fireworks she brings to Act III, so I'm sad not to see her this time, but very pleased with getting to witness Fumi's debut - she's so inherently elegant and glamorous I really can't wait to see her Odette / Odile. Judging by the insight, I think she's going to be incredible in both roles.

I have another set of tickets for Hirano / Lamb later in the run - cast was at random, as I just needed it to be a Saturday evening. Has anyone seen them in Swan Lake before?  🙂

Yes I saw Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano when this version of Swan Lake was first performed - Sarah Lamb was fantastic 

• Like 3

I went to a piano rehearsal today, which is work in progress, but never mind that, I loved it. I don't think it's giving too much away to say that I saw Marcelino Sambe and Anna Rose O'Sullivan, plus Gary Avis as Von Rothbart.  Wonderful!

I spent much of the time reflecting as I watched the performance. I was lucky enough to be part of the original syndicate sponsoring this production and therefore attended various events to see it as it was developed, including a visit to Thurrock where we saw John MacFarlane actually painting the scenery to Act 1.  It was absolutely amazing.  It all came back to me as the curtain rose, and there it was, along with a set of steps, I had actually sat on. But of course, it was tinged with great sadness as I remembered Liam Scarlett. 

I also went on tour to Madrid and saw this production every night with different casts and met some of the dancers. One of the best weeks of my entire life. It was there I discovered William Bracewell: a Siegfried like no other.  

It was the last ballet I saw before lockdown, in what seems a lifetime ago, with the wonderful Marianela and Vadim.   

So, today it was reborn with what seemed like an entirely different cast. I have looked back to my book "Swan Lake, Reimagining a Classic" which has now reappeared in the ROH shop. So, this was published in 2019 but covers the 2017/18 season.  So much has moved on: we have new exciting Principals plus the much loved ones still there.  We have new up and comings, like David Yudes who played Benno today. 

Bring it on!

• Like 30

For many of us the emotion will be intensified because it will be almost 2 years since the last performances of Swan Lake before everything shut down as the pandemic took hold. I have a vivid memory of standing on the tube on the way back, trying not to hold the handrail, and thinking- What is going to happen- when will I be back?

I agree that it is also very sad to think of Liam Scarlett.

I shall be overjoyed to be there and there are so many good casts to (try to) see- but the sadness in the ballet will also  be more in my mind than it has ever been before. I think it will be a cathartic experience.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Mary said:

For many of us the emotion will be intensified because it will be almost 2 years since the last performances of Swan Lake before everything shut down as the pandemic took hold. I have a vivid memory of standing on the tube on the way back, trying not to hold the handrail, and thinking- What is going to happen- when will I be back?

I agree that it is also very sad to think of Liam Scarlett.

I shall be overjoyed to be there and there are so many good casts to (try to) see- but the sadness in the ballet will also  be more in my mind than it has ever been before. I think it will be a cathartic experience.

This is very true for me.

I was there on the opening night in 2020, seeing Nela and Vadim, it was the last thing I did before lockdown.

On the day I wasn't worried at all, I had hand sanitiser, but otherwise didn't really have much to worry about. We were joking in the queue for the loos about washing our hands singing happy birthday and the woman next to me was grabbing my hands in farewell afterwards. Everything was normal. I was planning to go to other performances.

Then a couple of days later footage from inside Italian hospitals came out and my family and I decided to stay at home before the official lockdown as we were worried that nothing was being done and I'm vulnerable.

I have tickets for opening night again, so think it will be quite an emotional night.

• Like 5

My last, and only, performance in the Swan Lake run was Bonelli/Takada on March 10th.  I remember standing in the stalls circle and thinking I didn't feel particularly comfortable doing so, and that this was probably going to be my last performance there Until Things Got Better.  (I was still thinking on the basis of a couple of weeks and expecting the cinema relay possibly to go ahead on April 1st at that point - ha!)  So convinced was I that the government would have us all locked down by the weekend that I went to see Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes in Wimbledon for the Thursday matinee - having carefully checked the ticket sales in the balcony first - because I didn't think it would still be going on by Saturday.  

I think this run of Swan Lake will be an emotional one for a lot of people, one way or another.

• Like 7

I didn't manage Swan Lake at all in 2020, as the first perfomance I had booked in the run was 28th March. I was at the ROH for Traviata on 14th March & read in the first interval that the government would be announcing on Monday that over 70s should stay at home so by that point I was sure I wouldn't be getting any Swan Lakes (before anyone queries it, no I'm not over 70!). As I saw the RB live for the first time in October 2018, a few months after their previous Swan Lake run, I only saw the cinecast when the production was new. Therefore my first live Swan Lake is going to be next week! Which I feel is rather ridiculous given how many other less well known ballets I have seen live already.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, alison said:

My last, and only, performance in the Swan Lake run was Bonelli/Takada on March 10th.  I remember standing in the stalls circle and thinking I didn't feel particularly comfortable doing so, and that this was probably going to be my last performance there Until Things Got Better.  (I was still thinking on the basis of a couple of weeks and expecting the cinema relay possibly to go ahead on April 1st at that point - ha!)  So convinced was I that the government would have us all locked down by the weekend that I went to see Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes in Wimbledon for the Thursday matinee - having carefully checked the ticket sales in the balcony first - because I didn't think it would still be going on by Saturday.  

I think this run of Swan Lake will be an emotional one for a lot of people, one way or another.

It will be very emotional for me as I was there on 12 March  2020 so looking forward to the 1st night - tissues at the ready  

On 23/02/2022 at 10:50, emmarose said:

This is very true for me.

I was there on the opening night in 2020, seeing Nela and Vadim, it was the last thing I did before lockdown.

On the day I wasn't worried at all, I had hand sanitiser, but otherwise didn't really have much to worry about. We were joking in the queue for the loos about washing our hands singing happy birthday and the woman next to me was grabbing my hands in farewell afterwards. Everything was normal. I was planning to go to other performances.

I entirely agree about the level of emotion.  I went to one of the Nela and Vadim performances (about the second or third one they did) and it was amazing.  It was the last thing I saw before lockdown and I still felt a little uneasy about this new disease they were starting to talk about.  

I am definitely wanting to go again to see it in May now things are more normal. I just want to know when Bennet is being Rothbart because I love watching him playing evil characters.  He's just so good at bad guys.   

• bangorballetboy changed the title to Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

Just to say that I just returned my ticket for Swan Lake on Fri 4th March (Amphitheatre A-82) which I believe is a good seat. I exchanged it for orchestra stalls tickets (thought I'd pay for full price as its a special performance even though I only usually book with young ROH). Hope someone else can enjoy it!! 

• Like 1

What do you mean Rob? 
Im going to Swan Lake on Friday 4th March ..so Bonelli’s last performance….and this isn’t a Welcome Performance 🤔

Is there any mention yet of who will dance with Morera in Month? 

Edited by LinMM

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

What do you mean Rob? 
Im going to Swan Lake on Friday 4th March ..so Bonelli’s last performance….and this isn’t a Welcome Performance 🤔

Is there any mention yet of who will dance with Morera in Month? 

William Bracewell.  

Fumi and Feddy are doing the Welcome performance on March 19th. It’s to thank NHS staff so they are being welcomed to the ROH.  As this is not a public performance, the one on the 4th will be Bonelli’s final performance for his fans and admirers.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Seeing them both on March 22nd!! 
I have a feeling they will be great together having seen them in Coppelia. 

I have always seen Mr Corrales as a more Corsair type pirate  or a Quixote matador than a "white tight" romantic lead, but we shall see.