Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, as it probably doesn't come up often because there aren't many Friday matinees, but does anyone know whether Friday rush tickets for Friday matinees would go onsale the Friday before or not until just before the performance? I'm thinking of trying to get a cheap ticket for O'Sullivan/Sambe for 25th matinee, because I'd like to see Avis & Von Rothbart & he said on Instagram that the casts he's appearing with are Osipova & O'Sullivan. As I have a ticket for the evening performance on 25th I could slot in a matinee but, not living in London, I'd need to know in advance I was going. So if the Friday rush tickets are only going to be released half an hour before the performance then that'll be no use to me & I'll have to haunt the ROH website for returns but if they rush tickets are released a week in advance then I can try to get one of those & be saved the stress of endless returns checking!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I saw James Hay  in Nutcracker from the front row of stalls and I could swear they were a sort of dark blue colour defo not brown but of course am happy to be corrected if wrong!!! 
That was about four years ago now I don’t suppose they’ve changed colour since have they 🤔 

Sorry Bridie have just done a longish walk to get the train back to Brighton so am bit in frivolous mode. I hope Hay is dancing Benno on Friday but probably not as a bit close. 

Anyone going tonight leave in PLENTY of time as traffic is horrendous and buses mostly very full which is why I just walked. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Thanks 1

As for the ending of Swan Lake, I actually slightly prefer the Royal Ballet version to the Bolshoi version - Yuri Grigorovich, in which Odete seems to die behind a gauze curtain and Prince Siegfried simply sinks onto the stage. I think it's too mute and doesn't do justice to the beautiful and passionate emotion of the score.

In the current version of the Royal Ballet, Odette dies and regains her humanity while Siegfried, with Odette's body in his arms, will have to face the future with the consequences of betraying his vow (sorry about my English!).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, as it probably doesn't come up often because there aren't many Friday matinees, but does anyone know whether Friday rush tickets for Friday matinees would go onsale the Friday before or not until just before the performance? 

The Friday before.  If you look here, you'll see that tickets for Friday 11th are on sale this Friday.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well I saw James Hay  in Nutcracker from the front row of stalls and I could swear they were a sort of dark blue colour defo not brown but of course am happy to be corrected if wrong!!! 
That was about four years ago now I don’t suppose they’ve changed colour since have they 🤔 

Sorry Bridie have just done a longish walk to get the train back to Brighton so am bit in frivolous mode. I hope Hay is dancing Benno on Friday but probably not as a bit close. 

Anyone going tonight leave in PLENTY of time as traffic is horrendous and buses mostly very full which is why I just walked. 

03B52B91-9273-47BD-A29F-05F7EC3BB21F.png

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jorgeb said:

As for the ending of Swan Lake, I actually slightly prefer the Royal Ballet version to the Bolshoi version - Yuri Grigorovich, in which Odete seems to die behind a gauze curtain and Prince Siegfried simply sinks onto the stage. I think it's too mute and doesn't do justice to the beautiful and passionate emotion of the score.

In the current version of the Royal Ballet, Odette dies and regains her humanity while Siegfried, with Odette's body in his arms, will have to face the future with the consequences of betraying his vow (sorry about my English!).

Your English is excellent and perfectly understandable!  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Honestly tho, his eyes looks different in all his pics! i've been scrolling through twitter and insta and still can't say if they're brown, grey or what. I'd say green?

Green/hazel/brown - blue is the only colour they’re definitely not!

• Like 1

What about a sort of grey blue then 🤔

Mary I just saw your post I will be blushing soon! How can I have been so taken with his eyes and not remembered their colour very precisely 🙄

Edited by LinMM

8 hours ago, Mary said:

we really need Benno casting in advance. 

Agree with this 100%. I would book just for a Benno I admire (yes, I feel the same about Mercutio).

I am totally Team Benno. I find Siegfried hard to like (as a character, not the amazing dancers doing the role) and am happy Benno gets so much stage time.

In general I applaud ballets with multiple showcase roles for more than the principle couples. It lets us get to know younger dancers and appreciate the deep talent at the Royal Ballet. Not to mention our chance to see incredibly talented first soloists like hazel eyed James Hay who — for whatever reason?? — Kevin O'Hare doesn't cast in the principle roles. 

My pet peeve with Swan Lake is not about the story logic or ending. Personally, I'd love to see the four foreign Princesses get more to do. Getting into those gorgeous costumes and make-up must take them ten times the minutes they actually get to dance. As they are usually wonderful dancers (i.e., Melissa Hamilton), I just think it is a waste of talent to use them mostly as scenery. 

I hope this is not considered speculation but I cannot help but wonder what a female choreographer would do with Swan Lake. If you have had the experience of actually dancing the parts, would these other female roles get a boost in your version?

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Agree with this 100%. I would book just for a Benno I admire (yes, I feel the same about Mercutio).

I wish they'd announce more casting in advance.  I always want to know who is doing the character parts and they never announce them soon enough for most ballets in my opinion.  I love watching Bennet Gartside as Rothbart and Gary Avis as Tybalt because they bring such character and individuality to the role and they never give this casting soon enough.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Reminder to Friends about Mr. Beard's free program offer. Need e-mail and membership card.

I’ve just been told it’s for next season!

4 minutes ago, MJW said:

I’ve just been told it’s for next season!

No - the email sent by Mr Beard on 9 Feb says: 'By way of an apology for falling short of the standards you rightly expect, I would like to offer each of you one free programme for the next show you attend here in Covent Garden during the 2022 Spring Season. Please simply show this email on your phone, as well as your membership card, to a member of our front of house team on your next visit, and you will be given a programme free of charge.'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

No - the email sent by Mr Beard on 9 Feb says: 'By way of an apology for falling short of the standards you rightly expect, I would like to offer each of you one free programme for the next show you attend here in Covent Garden during the 2022 Spring Season. Please simply show this email on your phone, as well as your membership card, to a member of our front of house team on your next visit, and you will be given a programme free of charge.'

I know! I wasn’t going to have an argument through the plastic sheeting so I will email customer service tomorrow. Hope others have better luck!

2 minutes ago, MJW said:

I know! I wasn’t going to have an argument through the plastic sheeting so I will email customer service tomorrow. Hope others have better luck!

The worst thing you can do is offer something by way of an apology and then fail to honour it. If Lizbie1 is right and the point is that Swan Lake is in the winter season, then that's really splitting hairs - it says 'the next show you attend' and 'your next visit'. I have no idea which 'season' these various performances fall into.

Edited by bridiem
Added sentence
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Swan Lake is part of the Winter Season.

To add to this: it was Spring booking that saw the booking carnage, so it does make a kind of sense that it's Spring productions this offer applies to, petty as this may seem.

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

OMG - Sorry!!!!

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Swan Lake is part of the Winter Season.

Ah thanks- good job I didn’t throw a wobbly! I’ll try and remember for April 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

To add to this: it was Spring booking that saw the booking carnage, so it does make a kind of sense that it's Spring productions this offer applies to, petty as this may seem.

There have been problems with previous bookings too, and I do think it's petty and that Mr Beard's email was unhelpfully worded. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm sure many people thought this applied to their next visit to the ROH.

Indeed, I was going to get one, I don't usually bother with programmes but a Swan Lake one would have been nice.

• Like 1

It’s not that I dislike Benno ‘s role as I said it’s great to have some more male dancing but the balance seemed to be against the Prince. After all why not give the Prince some more dancing to do as well! I will see when I go on Friday but last time I seemed to remember there was just a bit too much of the Benno character. 

Hope people are not having too much of a problem with journeys tonight. 
I’ve just got home sweet home at last and am now awaiting news of tonight’s performance with keen interest! 

Siegfried seemed a bit more smiley and perky this time round, whether it was the free programme he received or confidence in his post-Prince career as a swan-like sanctuary manager, I don’t know.

Everything and everyone else was fabulous. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 9

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Siegfried seemed a bit more smiley and perky this time round, whether it was the free programme he received or confidence in his post-Prince career as a swan-like sanctuary manager, I don’t know.

Everything and everyone else was fabulous. 

I thought he was more glum than usual, despite James Hay's efforts