Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

Mayara Magri has said on IG that she and Cesar Corrales will dance the general rehearsal tomorrow 

I'd been looking forward to seeing their double debut on 11th. I now feel slightly depressed that I won't in fact be seeing their debut. I know 2nd performances are often better but having seen Magri's Sugar Plum Fairy & Juliet debuts I was hoping for 3/3 with Swan Lake.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd been looking forward to seeing their double debut on 11th. I now feel slightly depressed that I won't in fact be seeing their debut. I know 2nd performances are often better but having seen Magri's Sugar Plum Fairy & Juliet debuts I was hoping for 3/3 with Swan Lake.

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but if you mean the general rehearsal it doesn't count as (and definitely isn't) their debut. The debut is the first public performance - rehearsals don't count!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but if you mean the general rehearsal it doesn't count as (and definitely isn't) their debut. The debut is the first public performance - rehearsals don't count!

Bridiem is right, they have been rehearsing for weeks and tomorrow is a continuation of those. With a play they have numerous previews but there is always a “first night” which is recognised as such.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There will be hundreds of paying audience members seeing them nearly 2 weeks earlier than I'll be able to see them, including doubtless many members of this forum, so for me that feels like I won't be seeing their first performance.

Throughout last week, the various Swan Lake casts will have had stage calls - I.e. full run throughs of the ballet with piano accompaniment. One cast will have danced a Pre General - a full run through in costume, usually with the orchestra. The final rehearsal is the General and it can be the case that the cast for this might not have had an earlier stage call. Photographers are usually invited to the Pre General or the General.

Both are working rehearsals, not ‘performances’ . So, in recognition of that, we usually refrain from commenting on here, even though it is tempting to do so.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

There will be hundreds of paying audience members seeing them nearly 2 weeks earlier than I'll be able to see them, including doubtless many members of this forum, so for me that feels like I won't be seeing their first performance.

It is a rehearsal not a performance. They are different. They may make parts of their roles, the rehearsal may actually be stopped to redo something.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The 'audience' are paying to see a rehearsal, not a performance. Different prices, different purpose, different approach from all involved. You WILL be seeing their first performance.

• Like 8

I have been at a number of General Rehearsals where at least one of the Principals has marked his/her part throughout, except in the pas de deux, and where dancers have 'stomped off' after taking their bows rather than exiting in the usual way.

I have also been at rehearsals which have been stopped, mainly for technical reasons, ones where part of a scene has been repeated, and even ones where another cast came on and danced a sequence after the initial cast had done so.

Then there is the Fire Drill........ I don't want to tempt fate but these do tend to take place during a working rehearsal, with the result that a 25 minute interval can extend to 50 minutes while everyone leaves the building, waits outside, and troops back in again.

Such factors tend to detract from any sense that one is at a 'performance'!!! But I'm still looking forward to tomorrow............

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, bridiem said:

The 'audience' are paying to see a rehearsal, not a performance. Different prices, different purpose, different approach from all involved. You WILL be seeing their first performance.

I know I will factually. I just won't feel like I am emotionally!

32 minutes ago, capybara said:

I have been at a number of General Rehearsals where at least one of the Principals has marked his/her part throughout, except in the pas de deux, and where dancers have 'stomped off' after taking their bows rather than exiting in the usual way.

I have also been at rehearsals which have been stopped, mainly for technical reasons, ones where part of a scene has been repeated, and even ones where another cast came on and danced a sequence after the initial cast had done so.

That must be really interesting to see. I've only ever been to one rehearsal, Manon in October 2019 and as far as I can recall the cast produced a near-identical performance to the "proper" performance I saw them do a couple of weeks later, including full curtain calls. It must be more interesting, especially if it's a ballet you've seen many times before, to see a rehearsal that actually looks like a rehearsal, with parts repeated.

After such a long wait, it will be terrific to see the company general rehearsal (with Magri/Corrales being a bonus) tomorrow even bearing in mind that it is not a performance and may or may not flow freely. Any work in rehearsal is still a work in progress following which there may well be notes and changes afterwards which will inform the upcoming public performances for which the company is preparing. 
I also have tickets for Magri/Corrales first night too. I have no doubt that the performance will have evolved from one date to the other as it does every time a dancer takes to the stage.  
On a more general note, being able to attend rehearsals and have a preview of the action so to speak , is, for me, one of the main benefits of being a Friend and makes the subscription more than worth the outlay.

• Like 8

SPD444—- I saw Corrales as Albrecht in Giselle which I think should fit your ‘white tight Romantic lead’ and I thought he was very good especially as was a debut in that role. So I’ve every reason to believe he will be good as the Prince in Swan Lake. Not everyone was impressed with him but I was!!    I also like his partnership with Magri so am hoping for great things from them both. But as you say we shall see. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

SPD444—- I saw Corrales as Albrecht in Giselle which I think should fit your ‘white tight Romantic lead’ and I thought he was very good especially as was a debut in that role. So I’ve every reason to believe he will be good as the Prince in Swan Lake. Not everyone was impressed with him but I was!!    I also like his partnership with Magri so am hoping for great things from them both. But as you say we shall see. 

I saw him more at ENB where he did the pirate/matador style roles and more recently the Akram Giselle when again he was not the Lead. I found his Romeo with Frankie a tad lacking in real emotion, compared to her with Bracewell. Mayara’s recent R&J with Calvin will take some beating as well.  All these brilliant new principals at the RB is so wonderful, we are so spoilt for choice.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I could understand that if they were having a school matinee prior to what you thought was their debut performance, or if maybe if you had a ticket for the rehearsal and didn't want your enjoyment of seeing Magri's debut lessened by seeing her in the rehearsal as well.

Cast list for today's General. Great to see new opportunities for some of the up-and-coming dancers.

CAST Odette/Odile* MAYARA MAGRI

Prince Siegfried CESAR CORRALES

The Queen KRISTEN MCNALLY

Von Rothbart BENNET GARTSIDE

Benno CALVIN RICHARDSON

Prince Siegfried’s Younger Sisters ASHLEY DEAN, SAE MAEDA

ACT I

Waltz and Polonaise LETICIA DIAS, ISABEL LUBACH, JULIA ROSCOE, CHARLOTTE TONKINSON, BENJAMIN ELLA, TOMAS MOCK, JOSEPH SISSENS, DAVID YUDES, ARTISTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET

ACT II

Cygnets MICA BRADBURY, ISABELLA GASPARINI, BOMIN KIM, AMELIA TOWNSEND

Two Swans MELISSA HAMILTON, MARIKO SASAKI

Swans ARTISTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET

ACT III

Spanish Princess ISABEL LUBACH

Hungarian Princess GINA STORM-JENSEN

Italian Princess YUHUI CHOE

Polish Princess CHARLOTTE TONKINSON

Spanish dance MICA BRADBURY, JOONHYUK JUN, HARRISON LEE, GIACOMO ROVERO, FRANCISCO SERRANO

Czárdás KATHERINA NIKELSKI, LEO DIXON MADISON BAILEY, BOMIN KIM, ALIX VAN TIGGELEN, MARIANNA TSEMBENHOI, LIAM BOSWELL, JAMES LARGE, HARRISON LEE, DAICHI IKARASHI

Neapolitan dance LETICIA DIAS, JOSEPH SISSENS

Mazurka NADIA MULLOVA-BARLEY, DAVID DONNELLY ARTISTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET

ACT IV

Cygnets, Two Swans, Swans AS ACT II

Court Ladies, Lieutenants, Corporals, Ladies-in-waiting, Servants, Heralds, Guards, Guests ARTISTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET and STUDENTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET SCHOOL

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

That must be really interesting to see. I've only ever been to one rehearsal, Manon in October 2019 and as far as I can recall the cast produced a near-identical performance to the "proper" performance I saw them do a couple of weeks later, including full curtain calls. It must be more interesting, especially if it's a ballet you've seen many times before, to see a rehearsal that actually looks like a rehearsal, with parts repeated.

Except you will be, factually and emotionally. The dancers will know that emotionally it's there first performance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I just had a glance at ROH's website and it seems that Nunez is not dancing on the opening night? Haven't seen anything from her Instagram so fingers crossed she's doing well...

Now down as Naghdi/Muntagirov.

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Oh dear I really hope not. I’m sure Naghdi/Muntagirov are an excellent combination 

I saw their R&J and not sure it's worth fighting a tube strike for.....

Edited by oncnp

3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

can anyone else not see Swan Lake on the ROH site at all please? I have tried looking at all events, filtering and going via the Calendar View and it's not showing....

Still showing for me.

3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

can anyone else not see Swan Lake on the ROH site at all please? I have tried looking at all events, filtering and going via the Calendar View and it's not showing....

I can still see it (using Chrome).