Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

6 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

As Benno usually has more charisma than the prince, who always strikes me as a bit wet, I'd pay good money for an ending where Benno marries Siegfried's sister and becomes the new prince, Rothbart remains the power behind the throne and gets Odile into court as the sister's attendant.  Much more fun in my view.  

Siegfried only gets wet at the end (of this particular production ).So what does Siegfried do, marry a princess and move to Spain/Italy/Poland or Hungary? Or marry Odette and move to LA? 

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

Siegfried only gets wet at the end (of this particular production ).So what does Siegfried do, marry a princess and move to Spain/Italy/Poland or Hungary? Or marry Odette and move to LA? 

Goes off and starts a wild bird bird sanctuary?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

What's the PG rating on this production? I don't remember THAT being part of the story..... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

One of these days I will have to pay again for a more expensive seat much closer to the stage to catch a glimpse of those lovely expressive blue eyes of his lol! Never mind the dancing! 

If you are referring to James Hay, his eyes are definitely brown.  :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

A sanctuary for swan-like people, surely. Would they want to include cis swans?

Well, they would have to include Von Rothbart, surely?  Tenderly nursed back to health after being viciously attacked by swan-like people, and then kept locked in a cage. 

Edited by Fonty

3 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Well, they would have to include Von Rothbart, surely?  Tenderly nursed back to health after being viciously attacked, and then kept locked in a cage. 

He's the power behind the throne in Tango Dancer's version...can he be that in a cage?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

He's the power behind the throne in Tango Dancer's version...can he be that in a cage?

I'm sure anyone as devious and manipulative as Rothbart probably has a set of picklocks under that interesting costume and will have sneaked out of the back of the cage.  

• Like 1

I was at the general rehearsal yesterday.

from my point of view all the issues I had at the premiere are still there. More on that once I’ve seen a couple of performances…

However, the finale is frankly awful and a real anti climax - needs to be changed but I doubt that will happen. 
On a better note - act 3 pdd was very well danced! 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

A sanctuary for swan-like people, surely. Would they want to include cis swans?

I think they would have to include cis swans. The question is surely whether gender-fluid swans would make the cut. (Sorry for lowering the tone by reverting back to frivolous mode, after Bridiem's rebuke and Vadim's instagram post).

I was also at yesterday's general rehearsal and will add my endorsement to all Jenny Taylor's comments. And, yes, Dawnstar, you won't be disappointed on the 11th.

I do so agree that the ending is a major anti-climax but I have to say that I rather enjoyed the rest this time round. Perhaps not surprisingly, on this viewing there was less confusion around what was happening, and that could well have upped the overall satisfaction count. 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, prs59 said:

its up now

6DBEA211-91AE-43AE-A7B3-6B922B3ABE92.png

163C13E9-6B4C-4B55-B984-310AA8D004A0.png

Thank you for this because now it's gone again. Who runs their website?

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Is there any reason why they would not change any problems?

It depends on who owns the choreography - the ROH or the estate. 

35 minutes ago, Sim said:

If you are referring to James Hay, his eyes are definitely brown.  :)

In several of James’s Instagram posts, his eyes look green to me - perhaps his eyes are like my daughter’s, which change colour depending on the light. 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anna C said:

In several of James’s Instagram posts, his eyes look green to me - perhaps his eyes are like my daughter’s, which change colour depending on the light. 🤔

Or who is taking the picture 😄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Yes....mine are like that too, as are his.  

• Like 1

I'm hoping that there will be some kind memories of Liam Scarlett in the programme, if not an opening night announcement from Kevin O'Hare. 

At the opening night of Two Pigeons, Kevin O'Hare made a lovely tribute to the people of Paris following the terrorist attacks there and dedicated the performance to them, he might do something similar tonight for the people of Russia!

3 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

At the opening night of Two Pigeons, Kevin O'Hare made a lovely tribute to the people of Paris following the terrorist attacks there and dedicated the performance to them, he might do something similar tonight for the people of Russia!

I assume you mean Ukraine! But it's very possible, they announced that the Ukrainian anthem will be played before every performance this week so he'll probably come to announce that at the very least

Edited by AnticaFiamma

1 minute ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I assume you mean Ukraine! But it's very possible, they announced that the Ukrainian anthem will be played before every performance this week so he'll probably come to announce that at the very least

He's been stepping out in front of the curtain quite a bit lately, I think he's secretly getting a taste for it!

6 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Remembering a friend is hardly a public whitewashing of anything.

Are you going to a performance of Swan Lake Emmarose?

Yes, to a few.

Will you be attending Jan?

Edited by emmarose

2 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Yes, to a few.

Will you be attending Jan?

I'm not coming from Liverpool (given ongoing transport issues with Avanti) to see a production I don't really care for (despite loving the Benno role!).

6 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm not coming from Liverpool (given ongoing transport issues with Avanti) to see a production I don't really care for (despite loving the Benno role!).

Well, at least here is a vote for the Benno role at last! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I'm hoping that there will be some kind memories of Liam Scarlett in the programme, if not an opening night announcement from Kevin O'Hare. 

Although you must mean Ukraine, the people of Russia also deserve  a lot of sympathy.  Many of them will suffer in various ways and many of them do not want this aggression.  Many have taken to social media to say so, not to mention the streets of Russian cities.  This is not in the name of the Russian people, I am sure.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Sim said:

Although you must mean Ukraine, the people of Russia also deserve  a lot of sympathy.  Many of them will suffer in various ways and many of them do not want this aggression.  Many have taken to social media to say so, not to mention the streets of Russian cities.  This is not in the name of the Russian people, I am sure.

Quite.

So many in Russia have friends and family in Ukraine. The people don't want this, it's all the action of one man's ego, there will be Russian casualties who want no part of this.

I fear for Russian people living in the UK/US or elsewhere in the world, as with COVID and anti-asian attacks increased through ignorance, it'll probably be a hard time for Russians trying to live their lives elsewhere right now.

• Like 1