Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Leticia was the Spanish princess, Gina was the Spanish dancer…they didn’t dance together 😆

The reviewer clearly doesn't know the difference between the Spanish princess and the lead in the Spanish dance.  Understandable, considering how alike Gina and Leticia are....

• Like 8

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Richard LHI was impressed with the speed of the whole pas de deux.  Is that the correct tempo for the music i.e. the way it was originally written?  Makes a wonderful change from the dirge it has become in recent years, at least as far as I am concerned.  

Really enjoyed act 1 & 2. Although the boys were somewhat less precise than on opening night, the whole thing didn't feel as gloomy as it was on Tuesday (imho). Really looking forward to the engagement party, Clarke and Osipova are unsurprisingly brilliant!

• Like 3

Does anyone have any thoughts on the names of the leading characters in Swan Lake?  Odette and Odile sound French, whereas Siegfried (Victory in Peace) and Rothbart (Redbeard) are clearly German.

The ballet was premiered by the Bolshoi in Moscow in February 1877 with choreography by Julius Reisinger, who has a German name, but was actually Czech.  At that time, Czechia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and its intellectuals and middle class all spoke German - similar to the use of French by the Russia aristocracy.

Tchaikovsky was a great Wagner fan and had attended the first performance of the Ring Cycle at Bayreuth in 1876, so maybe the name Siegfried was his idea.  Tchaikovsky's swan theme is derived from the leitmotif of the forbidden question in Lohengrin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, li tai po said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the names of the leading characters in Swan Lake?  Odette and Odile sound French, whereas Siegfried (Victory in Peace) and Rothbart (Redbeard) are clearly German.

The ballet was premiered by the Bolshoi in Moscow in February 1877 with choreography by Julius Reisinger, who has a German name, but was actually Czech.  At that time, Czechia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and its intellectuals and middle class all spoke German - similar to the use of French by the Russia aristocracy.

Tchaikovsky was a great Wagner fan and had attended the first performance of the Ring Cycle at Bayreuth in 1876, so maybe the name Siegfried was his idea.  Tchaikovsky's swan theme is derived from the leitmotif of the forbidden question in Lohengrin.

It seems that Odette is a girl's name of French and Old German origin.

The same with Odille.

“Popular German Names For Girls”

https://germanculture.com.ua/german_names/german_names_girls_o.htm

• Like 1

My heart jumped when Kevin O'Hare came out to say that Natalia was feeling unwell. I was bowled over by both her and Reece during Act 1/2 and it feels like I've been waiting years to see her dance Odile!

I think Act 3 is my favourite, there's so much fire and drama. Adored the Spanish dance - particularly Joseph Sissens and the amazing earrings the male dancers have! - and Natalia and Reece were supreme throughout their solos and the pas de deux. Also adored Gary Avis as Rothbart, superb performance! Letitia Dias and Yuhui Choe were also wonderful as Siegfried's sisters. Enchanted by Luca Acri as Benno!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, JNC said:

FYI I enquired about the free programme. 

I was told it starts from when Peter Grimes starts but it is redeemable for any show after that (including Swan Lake). It doesn’t make sense to me as then it’s not linked to a booking period but rather a particular date but I guess it’s free so can’t complain!

Well I got my free programme for a R&J performance weeks ago.  Someone has got this wrong

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Odile got a fantastic welcome, 32 fouettés were done, Acri’s debut will have to wait 

While watching Acri tonight, I thought he might make a fantastic Des Grieux.

Edited by Texan
spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

51917255415_cd8b8b716c_b.jpg

51917255300_ec96941ed7_b.jpg

51916634891_858381a68b_b.jpg

51917255205_b8e3ed9d4c_b.jpg

51916961039_3327677f80_b.jpg

51916960864_73895c9d43_b.jpg

51916960814_a4e5a11c3a_b.jpg

51915667247_34bcf5513e_b.jpg

Gutted not to have Siegfried’s sisters in the curtain call, clearly they’re only there on special occasions 

Thank you for posting your pictures, they're a beautiful way to remember a nigth to treasure!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

Fouetté turns were indeed done but there were not 32 of them.

🤨 I suppose what I meant to indicate was a lot of fouettes were done unlike two years ago when she did maneges

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Rob S said:

🤨 I suppose what I meant to indicate was a lot of fouettes were done unlike two years ago when she did maneges

I loved those: Odile “consecrating” her unsacred place. It’s also what Fonteyn did the first time I saw Swan Lake (although I don’t imagine so quickly)….

• Like 4

I wasn’t counting. Last night’s performances were both stunning and spellbinding from all on stage. The speed of some of Osipova’s moves was enough to give me whiplash and Clarke literally soared through the air like a elegant stag.
I was sat in the Orchestra Stalls. For me it was a 100% immersive 🦢🦢🦢🦢🦢experience. (Not so for the young man across the aisle from me who spent much of Acts 1-3 playing what i suspect was Wordle on his phone. One man’s meat…🤷🏻‍♂️.)
A hugely deserved standing ovation and totally merited lengthy curtain calls.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 10

56 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I was sat in the Orchestra Stalls. For me it was a 100% immersive 🦢🦢🦢🦢🦢experience. (Not so for the young man across the aisle from me who spent much of Acts 1-3 playing what i suspect was Wordle on his phone. One man’s meat…🤷🏻‍♂️.)

I think I might have been tempted to snatch the phone from his hand if I had been seated anywhere near him.  How rude, not to mention distracting for people behind or to the side.  I wonder who was paying for his ticket, I doubt he would buy it himself if he was prepared to waste it doing something else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Not so for the young man across the aisle from me who spent much of Acts 1-3 playing what i suspect was Wordle on his phone. One man’s meat…🤷🏻‍♂️.

How on earth did it take him that long? I usually knock it out in about five minutes, but would never during a performance!

Slightly more relevant I'm thoroughly enjoying everyone's impressions, thoughts and reflections. Thank you all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I think I might have been tempted to snatch the phone from his hand if I had been seated anywhere near him.  How rude, not to mention distracting for people behind or to the side.  I wonder who was paying for his ticket, I doubt he would buy it himself if he was prepared to waste it doing something else.

Indeed - how absurd. I had a situation on opening night which, while not the same, was certainly very irritating. The elderly man sitting next to me in the front row of the stalls circle kept bobbing his head constantly during the famous opening waltz of Act 1, continued to so during the character variations in Act 3, and at various points throughout the performance. He also waved his hands in what was presumably an attempt to imitate the conductor?

Also during parts of the applause (after Odile's variation, for example) he and his neighbour (presumably his wife) talked, presumably commenting on the performance. This is supposedly permissible as everyone is clapping, but I find it highly irritating and also disrespectful.

I suppose all of this behaviour does show enthusiasm for the ballet and of course, Tchaikovsky's gorgeous music, but I find physical demonstrations of it (basically head banging/hand waving) to be a tad too excessive. I adore the music too - the entire audience does, that's a big part of why we braved a tube strike to attend - I just don't feel the need to demonstrate it physically in a manner which can be disruptive for others in the audience.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

How on earth did it take him that long? I usually knock it out in about five minutes, but would never during a performance!

All that tutting and background music must've distracted him

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

All that tutting and background music must've distracted him

Not a single tut from me, I have to say. Past experience has taught me patience and tolerance that I didn’t know I had and to keep my peace & focus on the action onstage or my enjoyment is spoiled.  Somewhat difficult during the cygnet quartet and the Spanish dance when the same young man became alert & engaged and furiously conducted the orchestrafrom his lap. I did ask the ushers to politely intervene after act 3 which they did. However, when same happened as the overture to act 4 started, I did nip across the aisle to take direct action. And got a result too.

yes, £145 is for me a lot of money to spend on a ticket. Perhaps said young man benefited from the £25 sit anywhere in the ROH scheme that I believe is available to young people.  
the joys of live performances eh what?

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Fantastic pictures @Rob SI am intrigued by all the close ups of the female pointe shoes, and the different variations of elastic and other extras.  Plus the fact that all the shoes have seen some really hard work. 

Natalia's shoes always look very 'worn' by the end of the performance.

I don't know how some of them still look pristine at the end though.

15 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Well I got my free programme for a R&J performance weeks ago.  Someone has got this wrong

Just tried to claim my free programme for Swan Lake and got refused!! Apparently they can only offer it from 13th March??? It's kind of ridiculous really seeing as it's for the same production, literally a week later... I explained I knew people here who have already claimed their free programme; but they said its the policy now and they recommended me to email customer services? 😪 I know I'm not attending a performance after 13th March, the next one I'm attending is for Monday...  anyone have any advice on how to go about emailing them about this? 

Edited by Marie

8 minutes ago, Marie said:

Just tried to claim my free programme for Swan Lake and got refused!! Apparently they can only offer it from 13th March??? It's kind of ridiculous really seeing as it's for the same production, literally a week later... I explained I knew people here who have already claimed their free programme; but they said its the policy now and they recommended me to email customer services? 😪 I know I'm not attending a performance after 13th March, the next one I'm attending is for Monday...  anyone have any advice on how to go about emailing them about this? 

Since the offer came from Alex Beard, I would have thought that emails should go to him: alex.beard@roh.org.uk so he can explain (including to his staff) what his email actually meant. Next visit? Spring Season? Peter Grimes opening? 13th March? Who knows. All I know is that I don't want the embarrassment of being turned away as if I'm asking for something to which I'm not entitled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1