Royal Ballet’s Nutcrackers, which were cancelled until early January, now resumed

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I've just seen that NYCB have now cancelled ALL of their remaining Nutcrackers.  That MUST hurt.  Let's pray they are able to make it back for the Winter season next month.  

I can't like your post Bruce because it is just so disheartening isn't it.  Yes, let's hope that omicron has peaked and everyone can start to get back to what passes as a semblance of normality these days.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I can't like your post Bruce because it is just so disheartening isn't it.  Yes, let's hope that omicron has peaked and everyone can start to get back to what passes as a semblance of normality these days.

The shortened quarantine announced by the CDC yesterday may help but 500,000+ new cases in the US today (with some delayed Christmas reporting). My state has re-declared a COVID emergency.  I don't think we've peaked over here yet.  

Another thing I find disheartening is the recently announced ROH streamings that cover the period up to Swan Lake in March. Hedging their bets? 

47 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Another thing I find disheartening is the recently announced ROH streamings that cover the period up to Swan Lake in March. Hedging their bets? 

Surely just maximising their income ‘streams’ 🤭 ?  Very prudent in the circumstances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

At the moment at least I don't think there is any intention the non -live streams will replace live performances. So, if they don't, they're a nice optional extra for those who can't get to London (and a bit of much needed cash for the ROH). If the worst happens and more live performances are cancelled at least they can be a small consolation for those desperate for a RB 'fix'.

• Like 3

On 28/12/2021 at 21:16, Jan McNulty said:

Jan, I so agree.  I thought it enchanting to find that the NYCB dancers have a little bit of fun with their dedicated 'Nutcracker Self-Cast'.  Here the ever buoyant Jovani Furlan (not yet a Principal - but very soon I pray) does his gender switching take on Balanchine's ever effervescent Dewdrop.  Perhaps not entirely bearing the speedy élan of, say, a Tiler Peck or Kyra Nichols, but nonetheless entirely smile-bearing I found.  Hopefully this might be something you and others might - just might - be able to 'like'.  

18 hours ago, capybara said:

There are many encouraging posts on social media today which suggest that RB casts are busy rehearsing for the shows next week and beyond 🤞

I managed to grab a ticket for the last performance on Saturday 8th with William Bracewell and Laura Morera so that's something to look forward to during the current gloom. I've already seen two Nutcrackers this season but I couldn't resist !

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MJW said:

I managed to grab a ticket for the last performance on Saturday 8th with William Bracewell and Laura Morera so that's something to look forward to during the current gloom. I've already seen two Nutcrackers this season but I couldn't resist !

Well done, I’ve been trying without success to find one (and haven’t seen any Nutcrackers thus far)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Well done, I’ve been trying without success to find one (and haven’t seen any Nutcrackers thus far)

Keep trying! As Alison says there are seats available at the moment and they keep coming up. Otherwise try Friday Rush tomorrow to see if any more are released.

13 minutes ago, MJW said:

Keep trying! As Alison says there are seats available at the moment and they keep coming up. Otherwise try Friday Rush tomorrow to see if any more are released.

Friday rush this week does not, unfortunately, cover Saturday the 8th Jan.

I’ve been very fortunate and managed to snaffle tickets for both performances on Saturday 8 January. And given the many cancellations I don’t feel remotely decadent seeing double Nutcracker after 12th Night - a very welcome extension to Christmas festivities.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, capybara said:

Darcey Bussell has now posted on social media to the effect that the RB's shows will be resuming on the 5th January as planned. 🤞😊

🤞   From her mouth to Boris' ear........

If anyone is planning to get last minute tickets, be aware the ROH website will be unavailable on part of Tues 4 Jan, perhaps to put the seat maps up for Spring? 

We will be carrying out planned website maintenance on Tuesday 4 January between 8–11am (GMT). Purchases and Account services will be unavailable at this time. 

Edited by oncnp

Mayara Magri has posted on Instagram that she will be making her debut as the Sugar Plum Fairy on 5th January alongside Ryoichi Hirano.

Presumably they are replacing Claire Calvert and Reece Clarke.

This in addition to the other change announced by dancers on social media - i.e. Marcelino Sambe replacing Valentino Zuchetti on the 6th.

1 hour ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Still not confirmed. Quite a few returns including mine

I've had an email now confirming the three cast changes.

Pleased for Mayara but disappointed not to be seeing the Calvert/Clarke combo.

Many tickets for sale for both performances now.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, annamk said:

What are the three cast changes ? 

Not having received any email notification (despite having tickets for both affected performances), the three that the dancers have announced on social media:

Wednesday

Calvert -> Magri

Clarke -> Hirano

Thursday

Zucchetti -> Sambé

• Like 1

The ROH website has now been updated with cast changes for 5th, 6th & 7th. As well as those already noted above, Matthew Ball is down as replacing Benjamin Ella on 7th.

I am now dithering like mad over whether to go to tomorrow's performance. I'd get to see both the debuts I wanted to see this season, Magri & Pajdak. The problem is I might well get covid too!

Honestly Dawnstar just go for it. 
I’m sure if you are really careful you will be okay! 
Can you buy a higher grade mask from a chemist which should give you very good protection. And sit as far away as possible on the train from anybody else.... I know it’s an arm and a leg but perhaps first class? 
You haven’t caught Covid to date so although not impossible I’d say unlikely now you are triple jabbed and young. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Honestly Dawnstar just go for it. 
I’m sure if you are really careful you will be okay! 
Can you buy a higher grade mask from a chemist which should give you very good protection. And sit as far away as possible on the train from anybody else.... I know it’s an arm and a leg but perhaps first class? 
You haven’t caught Covid to date so although not impossible I’d say unlikely now you are triple jabbed and young.

I've got in a stock of FFP2 masks. I'm not sure getting a first class ticket would be any help as the trains I get don't have ticket collectors so people tend not to respect first class & those who illegally go & sit in first class are likely to be the same sort of people who don't wear masks either! Most of the late night Kings Cross-Cambridge trains seem to have been cancelled so I'll have to take the longer journey from Liverpool Street.

I feel I'm better placed than before Christmas as it's now over 2 weeks since I had my booster so it should have taken full effect. My mother is no happier about me going though.

• Like 1

Do check out the Brighton to Cambridge Thameslink Line which runs from St Pancras rather than Kings Cross. I’m hoping to use that service to get to London tomorrow ( not ballet though) but am not sure about the later night service the last train may be a bit too early. 
It is showing there’s a train leaving Brighton at 10.12 pm so should be St Pancras around 11.30/35 and gets to Cambridge at 12.40 am. 
it’s Platform B at St Pancras!! 
There’s an earlier one but that looks like the last one. 

Edited by LinMM