Royal Ballet’s Nutcrackers, which were cancelled until early January, now resumed

Did people see the cancellations coming? It does seem like quite a shock especially since it was only a few days ago when I asked what everyone's plans were and most were still planning to go...

Edited by Marie
  • Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Can we see a silver lining in Dawnstar not missing Magri's debut?

ETA: or at the least not having a dilemma over it.

I confess that, while I'm very sorry for the dancers, for myself I am incredibly relieved that I can stop agonizing about it! Though given I'm aching all over from my booster yesterday I doubt I'd have been physically up to going anyway.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

So sad for Romany Pajdak, whose debut as Clara has been cancelled again. I so hope that she does finally get to perform it on 5th January.

It's a shame that it seems to be some of the same dancers whose debuts were cancelled in 2020 that are also losing them in 2021, such as Pajdak & O'Sullivan, while on the flipside some of the same dancers opened both seasons so got to do their performances both seasons. Maybe for 2022 Kevin O'Hare should schedule all the debuts for the start of the run!

• Like 5

Very sad to hear the news and again debuts etc having to be postponed. I was checking the ROH website to see if there were any tickets for Christmas Eve having enjoyed Saturday’s matinee so much and just wondering if I might try another day trip. I’ll just be content that I managed a pre Christmas Nutcracker with Fumi & Matthew truly sparkling and am sorry so many artists and would be audience members miss out.

Edited by JohnS
Added Kaneko/Ball reference
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Bit confused though because opera on the main stage seems more unaffected. Nabucco today and Tosca on Wednesday seem to be going ahead this week.
And Wolf Witch Giant Fairy on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Nabucco's down as cancelled for 23rd & 28th though. Tosca is the last performance with this cast so if none of them have covid yet then maybe they're hoping they can stay clear for another 2 days & finish the run. Also that's a relatively easy one to try to covid-proof, since as long as the 7 soloists are okay then the chorus can be kept at a distance for the end of Act 1 or even offstage or pre-recorded if they're desparate. So it must be easier to only have to worry about a main cast of 7 staying covid-free than the dozens of dancers needed for the Nutcracker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marie said:

Did people see the cancellations coming? It does seem like quite a shock especially since it was only a few days ago when I asked what everyone's plans were and most were still planning to go...

I'm a bit shocked and also kind of annoyed about the Nabucco ones as I was hoping to go on the 23rd/28th.

I'm really hoping that none of the January performances of Nabucco are cancelled, as it's such a short run. And hopefully the January performances of Nutcracker can go ahead.

1 hour ago, Marie said:

it was on the cards, as I'd heard that the virus was becoming prevalent in the dancers (and of course, some may have to isolate even if not ill themselves, whilst awaiting multiple tests etc). So not that surprised - except in the suddeness of it

• Like 2

Nooooooooooo :(  That's 3 of my remaining 4 Nutcrackers gone :(  

My heart breaks for the poor dancers.  And for the ROH losing all that money, which it can scarcely afford to do.  I suppose they will want to give us the option of priority booking for next year if they hold on to the money, but even so, that's next year, and some of the dancers may not still be around by then.  And it's not as if there's enough flexibility in the schedule to fit in additional performances after New Year, whereas ENB, say, might have been able to :(

Still awaiting my notification for tomorrow's performance, though.  *And* I feel for the poor box office staff.  And for all the other staff who will lose income they were probably banking on having.  The list is endless, really.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, alison said:

Still awaiting my notification for tomorrow's performance, though.  *And* I feel for the poor box office staff. 

I've not had anything through about tomorrow afternoon yet, despite the website saying that "ticket bookers for all affected performances have been contacted". I would have expected a generic cancellation email to go to everyone with tickets immediately, before they start working through individual bookings, as obviously the latter will take a long time. I'm also surprised the ROH doesn't seem to have made any announcements on social media, at least I can't find anything on Twitter or Instagram. I hope no-one turns up at the ROH tomorrow having not checked the ROH website & therefore not knowing about the cancellation.

• Like 5

I'm wondering whether cinemas have any space over the coming weeks to shoehorn in an Encore Nutcracker relay (or whether their contracts actually allow them to do so).  I was trying to get to one last week, but was too busy with work to be able to. :( 

• Like 1

It is with great regret that the Royal Opera House must cancel The Nutcracker from 21 December to 4 January. This is due to resourcing issues caused by the Omicron variant.

As many of you will be aware, across the industry we are seeing cancellations and closures and many theatres are suffering. We have worked incredibly hard to continue ROH performances this autumn, however, the combination of increasing covid cases and staff and artist absence due to Covid, means we must now cancel performances of The Nutcracker until 4 January. We are hugely proud of the work we have achieved so far this Season and this is testament to the commitment, hard work and talent of our wonderful teams at ROH and the fantastic artists we are working with.  

What happens next?

We will be contacting you soon about further options available to you as a ticket buyer. You will be able to request account credit, a refund, or you can donate all of the value of your ticket(s). 

If you are a Patron of the Royal Opera House, you will be contacted by the Patrons Box Office team in due course.

At this busy time, please avoid contacting the box office to check on the status of your booking. We are busy working through credit notes and refunds and will be in touch as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

I suppose we should be grateful that it was Sir Peter Wright's 95th birthday this year: I don't imagine that we'd have had as many Nutcrackers as early as they've been this year without that (or Giselle, for that matter).

• Like 5

Am gutted for artists, musicians, back stage, front of house, management, audiences and, last but not least me. All that hard work and hope gone to waste.

So grateful to have seen several R&Js, Giselles & Nutcrackers since the start of the season and, encouraged by others. even to have stepped out of my comfort zone this past week to experience Nabucco & Tosca. 
Thank you thank you thank you. 

Dear Santa

Can you organise for the 2021 Nutcracker to be streamed now that live performances have been suspended… 🎄🙏🏻

Edited by prs59
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Why are you annoyed?  I'm pretty sure it wasn't an easy decision to cancel performances.

I was annoyed because I didn't understand why the Nabucco performance could go ahead today (20th) and not on the 28th. However, as @Dawnstar kindly pointed out, it's because of the casting: a different cast is performing today who is presumably Covid-free. Same with Tosca. The other cast must have tested positive.

• Like 1

I feel awful for Marcelino Sambé who had his debut as Prince cancelled twice in a row now. Fingers crossed that nothing happens to the 5 Jan show and Romany Pajdak can go on as Clara (one remaining scheduled show) as planned after her debut got cancelled by Tier restrictions last year too. Likewise Benjamin Ella’s last scheduled show as Prince (it’s his debut as Prince, isn’t it? If I recall correctly (and according to the ROH website bio), he’s danced Hans Peter so far but not the Prince. Likewise Mayara Magri missing her Sugar Plum debut.  Marci Sambé wasn’t even down as Hans Peter this year either. Oh dear. Hope nobody is seriously unwell though. Speedy recovery to everyone who is ill. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Likewise Benjamin Ella’s last scheduled show as Prince (it’s his debut as Prince, isn’t it? If I recall correctly (and according to the ROH website bio), he’s danced Hans Peter so far but not the Prince.

Ella was the Prince when I saw Yuhui as Sugar Plum Fairy in December 2018

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sim said:

Besides feeling sorry for myself because of this, I feel even more sorry for all the dancers and staff.  Just as things were getting back to some kind of sanity and normality, they are scuppered once again.  I was particularly looking forward to Anna-Rose O'Sullivan's SPF debut.  :(

I hope they all get better soon and are fit and healthy in the New Year.  

Sim, if you don’t already have a ticket for one of Anna-Rose’s shows as SPF in January, the Thursday 6 Jan show currently has tickets, mostly single seats though, in different parts of the house but with unrestricted views, good seats. Might be worth snapping one up if you are free on the 6th. The later show is sold out at present.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Oh so would it be the actual monetary value instead of gift certificate credit?

(Unless you purchased it with ticket credit originally I assume)

My cancelled Nutcrackers took approximately 3-4 weeks last year to refund, but I was given the money back straight onto my credit card, no fuss, no quibbles, no deductions. The ROH Box office were and still are very reliable. 

• Like 1

With my 4 remaining Nutcrackers gone, I’ve been fortunate to be able to pick up a couple to catch Anna Rose’s new debut date and Romany’s as well. Availability is too tight to secure more at the moment.

But, somehow, it feels more important for them all to be able to get back on stage than for me to be there.

• Like 5

God, this is such awful news.

So sorry for the people who will miss the show and the cast and the company, as if the past couple of years haven't been bad enough, and so much of their revenue comes from The Nutcracker.

Also such a shame for those who were making the SPF debuts too (and all debuts). I think a few were due last year and were cancelled then too. 

Just a shame all round. Can't believe we're finding ourselves back here again.

• Like 8