Royal Ballet’s Nutcrackers, which were cancelled until early January, now resumed

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it’s the late travelling back that’s the main problem as you don’t want to get stranded late at night I’d never want to depend on the very last train!! 
There are usually two trains an hour from Brighton to Cambridge these days though even before Covid hit. The service started to perk up a bit in 2019 after a bit of a hesitant start it was only then I started to use to get to Cambridge as before that was too unreliable so usually used the Kings Cross route.
But of course anything can happen with Omicron around at the moment. 
Im leaving fairly early tomorrow though don’t have to be where I’m going until 2.30pm to allow for any cancellations. 
It won’t be a late journey back though so should be okay... a few trains to choose from at least! 
If it looks like trains are going to be a major problem then maybe not such a good idea to go looks like the timing just isn’t right at the moment. 
Perhaps treat yourself to Magris debut in Swan Lake instead as that is a matinee I believe. 

Edited by LinMM

Not sure if this is helpful, but there was a statement last week about staff shortages on trains and they said they would protect first and last services. I'm just going on the statement, haven't checked whether or not this has happened in practice. 

• Thanks 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet’s Nutcrackers, which were cancelled until early January, now resumed

I see that in Saturday 8th Jan evening's Nutcracker, the Russian dance is danced by the soprano Haegee Lee.  I suppose that staff absences are biting hard and flexibility is required.  Anyone noticed other unusual castings?  Is this a role debut? 

roh1.png

roh2.png

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Henry said:

I see that in Saturday 8th Jan evening's Nutcracker, the Russian dance is danced by the soprano Haegee Lee.  I suppose that staff absences are biting hard and flexibility is required.  Anyone noticed other unusual castings?  Is this a role debut? 

roh1.png

roh2.png

Haegee and I had a good laugh about this (she is one of the artists I manage). She loves the ballet as it happens (and, indeed, we were at Laura Morera’s second Giselle together)…

• Like 12

I've just returned my ticket for Friday's ROH Nutcracker, amphi R49 if anyone is interested, I've been trying to go but with no Victoria trains, I just can't face Blackfriars late at night, I like arriving there in the afternoon, but not as the only way home after 10pm!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Haegee and I had a good laugh about this (she is one of the artists I manage). She loves the ballet as it happens (and, indeed, we were at Laura Morera’s second Giselle together)…

Didn't Natalie Dessay train as a ballet dancer? But the Russian Dance might be too much of a leap. Literally!

Did anyone have a situation where they were shown the new checkout service earlier today (with the seats pictures) but are now unable to see it?
I'm quite nervous as I want to get a ticket for tonight and can see some available, but given the ROH website and its technical issues I'm wondering if those seats are actually available and is this information valid? I wouldn't want to turn up to find that the seat has gone.
Just wondering if anyone can still see seat availability for tonight?

I can see 95 seats available for tonight. Spread through all areas but particularly orchestra stalls. I've never seen the new checkout process, but these seats all look genuine to me and perhaps not unexpected with caution over covid. 

Beryl H if I was going back any time after 9pm I’d always walk through to the Strand (opposite the Savoy) and get on an 11 15 to Ludgate Circus ( about 10 mins max) and catch the train from Thameslink back to Brighton. I know Blackfriars is nice in daytime but if you want to get home quickly that’s definitely the quickest route and fairly stress free. 
Sorry I keep going off on travel diverts it seems at the moment 🙃

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Sorry I keep going off on travel diverts it seems at the moment 🙃

Well, most of the Nutcracker diverts are travel-based so....!

I'm on a Thameslink train from St Pancras which fortunately is running &, assuming it continues on time, will get me back to Cambridge only a few minutes later than the Kings Cross train I would usually catch.

• Like 5

Hoorah hope you enjoyed the ballet. 
My journeys on Thameslink today ( up to see Van Gogh Experience) have all been really smooth running no probs at all. 
I met my Cambridge friends there as it happened but they went back from Liverpool St tonight as the Show is about 5 mins walk from there.

• Like 2