Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

3 hours ago, Lusodancer said:

Hello,

I have every sympathy with you as this problem is set to stay with your DC as they progress.

I know because mine is always the youngest being a late August baby too, IF she is allowed, and now that she is completing her 8th year of vocational training and is ready, has been ready for a year, to join a company for the next season, she is too young to apply to most as she is still only 17. She is routinely taken for 21,22 yrs amongst her peers in professional classes for her skill set and artistic confidence, but can't even apply. She is resorting to leaving her date of birth off the form or curriculum if she can.  

It is much better to express development in terms of years of classes and how many per week, when it comes to younger activities, as children develop at different rates, but within reason... say a two year age range, not 3 or 4. It is fairer in my opinion. 

The system of vocational education in our country links music or dance education to the academic year, which is dependent upon the age up to December, not August. As children can be retained back a year, two even, if they fail to progess to the yearly academic  fixed targets in each subjec( continuous assessment plus national exams), we can have quite an age range in a class by say year 8 in normal schools( English year 9). However failure to reach standards artistically  as well really messes up the system and  government funding in vocational schools, so usually only academically secure students are even considered for the artistic route at the start or entering part way, and if students fall behind other suggestions are made. On the other hand , the government is paying for a super opportunity and both have mine have benefitted though we did not know at aged 9/10 that they would finish up completing the full cicle and pursue their chosen art. 

Good luck everyone. It's a rollercoaster ride for parents, dancers and don't forget the  non D siblings. I wish I had known of this forum years ago.There is so much useful information and encouragement to be fund in the contributions.

Don't worry if DD's don't make it this year or next. As one door doesn't open,don't force it, just try the next door along. We have too many unknown variables and obstacles this year. Just keep them all motivated and their time will come.

Hello. Just wondered whether anyone on the SWL had been contacted to offer a place? 

• Like 1

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Hello. Just wondered whether anyone on the SWL had been contacted to offer a place? 

Not yet, but we are still hoping! DS would love to do this and was pleased to get Short Waiting List! I feel bad as I suddenly realised it was the deadline, and had to take the photos really fast on my phone. So I probably didn’t take the best pics I could have done! 

On 01/02/2021 at 00:34, HopelessMummy said:

I once made a boo boo on the form and put in the wrong age. They picked that up right away and emailed to check. So I think they're likely to check if they are in doubt.

Also in answer to another question, you want to apply for another week, that's another application and fee you need to make and pay... 

How many pay for both applications? We’d love to apply to both to try and widen the possibilities but to pay £72 to look at the same 4 photos twice!!!!!

40 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

@Raquellewe had to sign a form saying that we agree to provide covid tests results before attending. The deadline to submit this new form is the 8th of February, so maybe SWL will hear after that. 

Thank you xxx not expecting a call but you never know! X 

8 hours ago, Lusodancer said:

Don't worry if DD's don't make it this year or next. As one door doesn't open,don't force it, just try the next door along. We have too many unknown variables and obstacles this year. Just keep them all motivated and their time will come.

Thank you - this is really excellent advice and what I needed to read tonight 🙂 

• Like 3

Thanks for all of your advice everyone. I knew being an August born would always disadvantage my DD but I never thought something this blatantly unfair would happen. Really if August born children are too young to apply for things throughout the whole process they should be allowed to audition for y7 the following year surely?

I did receive a reply when I (politely) explained how I felt and they said it is because they feel nine is too young to do residential and get the most from the training but I don't buy that as they are talking about the difference of 4 weeks in age!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I've found some alternative options for her now. She will definitely be kept busy in the summer! Hope your DD finds something too @Waverley xx

Hi,

My dd was allowed to audition for yr 7 with an 31st August birthday along with other yr6s. She got a full time place so please don’t see it as a disadvantage at this point & she didn’t get in to any WL SI until she was a pupil at WL...😂 As they get older students are definitely allowed to apply for SI that they are ‘too young’ for both at WL and internationally . 

15 hours ago, BusyDancemum said:

Hi does anyone know when the results for the summer intensive are expected?  We just applied.  TIA

The website said four weeks after application deadline (3rd March) so I think it will be around the 31st March...hopefully x

2 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Just applied for Summer intensive, having cancelled our DS's place on the Spring one (just too tricky to get there and comply with all testing requirements etc.). Hoping DS gets a Summer place! Fingers crossed for everyone applying. Trying times!! ❤️

I have done the same as I had to give up DS’s place on the spring also. Hoping he gets a summer place and hoping that it goes ahead as he’s missed summer last year and now spring this year too. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Just applied for Summer intensive, having cancelled our DS's place on the Spring one (just too tricky to get there and comply with all testing requirements etc.). Hoping DS gets a Summer place! Fingers crossed for everyone applying. Trying times!! ❤️

Think you have been wise. Couldn't bring myself to cancel Spring but do not believe it will happen. Signed up for Summer a while ago - ever hopeful 😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi Everyone, from yesterday email it looks like the Spring Intensive will happen which is great. Does anyone else have a conflict with the JA class on the 11th? Thanks 

Haven't checked dates for conflicts yet, although JS teacher's will understand fully. Now the worry is how to get a PCR test over the Eater bank holiday's in time for April 6th registration???? 😗

44 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Haven't checked dates for conflicts yet, although JS teacher's will understand fully. Now the worry is how to get a PCR test over the Eater bank holiday's in time for April 6th registration???? 😗

They will offer a replacement zoom class for the missed JA, very happy with that. A private PCR should still return the results within 72 hours? Hopefully as now every household with a child has access to lateral flow tests they might accept them. Where are you planning to take the PCR if asymptomatic?, I thought only private ones would be available?  

• Like 1

Applying at the last minute before deadline. What’s holding us off is choosing the number of weeks at CG. And To be considered for year round training would be best to try to go for the five weeks rather than the two or three weeks at CG? DK is already committed to their year round program 4 weeks in the states till mid July and for practical sake of traveling and quarantine  I am leaning to two weeks. But DK, 15, thinks 5 weeks would be better to be considered for year round training. 

3 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

They will offer a replacement zoom class for the missed JA, very happy with that. A private PCR should still return the results within 72 hours? Hopefully as now every household with a child has access to lateral flow tests they might accept them. Where are you planning to take the PCR if asymptomatic?, I thought only private ones would be available?  

Planning to go private - Boots for example. However, Registration is the 6th and 2nd is Good Friday, then Saturday then Easter Sunday and then Bank Holiday Monday the 5th. I'm worried labs will be closed for processing - especially private labs. This will make it impossible to get results in 72 hours. 

When WL finals accepted LFT - I enquired for intensives and got an email back stating that it must be PCR.

If only things were easy 😃

14 hours ago, MariCat said:

Applying at the last minute before deadline. What’s holding us off is choosing the number of weeks at CG. And To be considered for year round training would be best to try to go for the five weeks rather than the two or three weeks at CG? DK is already committed to their year round program 4 weeks in the states till mid July and for practical sake of traveling and quarantine  I am leaning to two weeks. But DK, 15, thinks 5 weeks would be better to be considered for year round training. 

Im pretty certain that 2 weeks is plenty time to be considered for full time training.

Every student  is observed during the week and it only takes a few classes for them to see what they need. I know someone offered a place after a single week.

Also, at 15, a student needs some holiday time to rest!

4 hours ago, valentina said:

Im pretty certain that 2 weeks is plenty time to be considered for full time training.

Every student  is observed during the week and it only takes a few classes for them to see what they need. I know someone offered a place after a single week.

Also, at 15, a student needs some holiday time to rest!

Thank you for the great advice, especially  when a 15 yo is suddenly experiencing another growth spurt. 

Hi MariCat and Valentina,

I seem to recall reading that there would not be any evaluations during the summer course for the year round training and that those auditions were going to be held separately.  Perhaps I am incorrect?  

Do you know definitely that students will be observed at CG for the year round? 

Also, the 2 week course is very late -in August - wouldn't they already have their placements for the fall by then?  

I’m sorry, I don’t have any specific information on this year’s applications. I am just advising on what’s happened in previous years. I think that they usually find space for an extra student if they like them

enough.

Forgot  to mention my student will be 16 in July. But still a growth spurt is occurring.  They asked on the online  application of student is interested in being evaluated for year round admission.  We were given two options to check for either 2021 or 2022. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 19:03, balletboy8 said:

Planning to go private - Boots for example. However, Registration is the 6th and 2nd is Good Friday, then Saturday then Easter Sunday and then Bank Holiday Monday the 5th. I'm worried labs will be closed for processing - especially private labs. This will make it impossible to get results in 72 hours. 

When WL finals accepted LFT - I enquired for intensives and got an email back stating that it must be PCR.

If only things were easy 😃

So they now will swab them on arrival (which is great) but they still want the PCR. 

3 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

So they now will swab them on arrival (which is great) but they still want the PCR. 

Very tricky - we could be driving up to WL on the Tuesday still hoping to get results. One very disappointed DS if we don't. There was talk of being able to arrive Wednesday morning if this was the case but we had not planned booking a hotel (2.5 hours away) so either an emergency hotel or return trip the following day.

Headteachers are told that PCR tests are no longer required to confirm LFT positives as done under 'observation' the LFT's efficacy is nearly as good. 

Considering the PCR will be done 3 days prior - it is not worth much as you could catch Covid leaving the site.

Quite down hearted about this really.

On 04/03/2021 at 18:36, balletboy8 said:

Very tricky - we could be driving up to WL on the Tuesday still hoping to get results. One very disappointed DS if we don't. There was talk of being able to arrive Wednesday morning if this was the case but we had not planned booking a hotel (2.5 hours away) so either an emergency hotel or return trip the following day.

Headteachers are told that PCR tests are no longer required to confirm LFT positives as done under 'observation' the LFT's efficacy is nearly as good. 

Considering the PCR will be done 3 days prior - it is not worth much as you could catch Covid leaving the site.

Quite down hearted about this really.

Just booked our PCR test for 3rd April. There are still appointments available although not many.  We have one excited DD here!

On 01/02/2021 at 20:53, Lara Eschler said:

Sorry to hear some dc can no longer attend. Why does the covid test need be be booked 28 days in advance? I had bought a private test kit in September and it was delivered the next day. 

Just booked through boots. There we're five or six appointments left for 3rd at the site we need to attend

Edited by Lucyj