Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

17 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

So according to the website both Spring and Summer 21 will be online again? Though I only got the email saying they won't invoice us yet. Feeling disheartened to see that it would be online from the website , will never get to see White Lodge..

To my knowledge RBS are planning to run residential courses for both spring and summer . The on line one is short I think you misread 

Edited by mart

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi, hope you all had a fab Christmas! I am trying to pay the Spring intensive invoice, and I pressed the submit button but it is just circling around. Anyone else had problems with the transactions?

Happy Christmas too! Yes same happened for us. It was just before Christmas so I emailed.  They said a few had reported same problem and they'd try to fix it - though probably not till after the break as office was about to close. Also said not to worry, DS's place was secure. I'm not going to try again till it's sorted. Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

We had the same problem trying to pay for Spring Intensive - circle of doom! Glad to hear that it will be sorted. My understanding is that the residential places offered are secure so long as they can run. The on-line course runs alongside (a bit odd though as I didn't hear anything about opportunities to apply for an on-line course at all) - wondering if it is really 'back-up' - happy to be corrected?

My DS applied with a friend who didn't make it and was planning to be a day pupil due to his age (10 years) and so now nervous about not knowing anyone and it being residential. If it goes ahead and any other DS feels the same then please PM me if you would like to do introductions?

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas 🙂

• Like 1

For anyone on the waitlist, I have just given up my DS place. Given the current situation with Covid-19 and travelling from Scotland to London I just don’t think it’s going to happen. I’m absolutely gutted as this is now the second time he has missed out due to Covid.  Best of luck to everyone else and I’m hoping that maybe he can apply for summer and have a better chance of getting down there. 🤞🤞

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Niknik10 said:

For anyone on the waitlist, I have just given up my DS place. Given the current situation with Covid-19 and travelling from Scotland to London I just don’t think it’s going to happen. I’m absolutely gutted as this is now the second time he has missed out due to Covid.  Best of luck to everyone else and I’m hoping that maybe he can apply for summer and have a better chance of getting down there. 🤞🤞

Really sorry to hear this. My daughter also missed out on going last summer, but is on the waiting list for Easter. I can imagine it being cancelled yet anyway. Such a shame for these youngsters. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

Just wondering if anyone applied for the summer intensive this week? It said in the confirmation email that they’ll send results by end of the next week, this seems very quick, is this going to happen do we think?! 

I thought the deadline was sometime early March ?

18 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

I thought the deadline was sometime early March ?

I’m not sure, I hadn’t even thought about that, my email just said results for London summer will be sent week ending 15th Jan. I was adding the application to our existing one for Easter, not sure if that makes a difference? Oh well, just wait to hear I suppose. 

56 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

Just checked RBS website; applications close 3rd Mar so hopefully won’t start issuing results until after that. DDs application isn’t in yet 😱

I think it must be an error then, but just double checked my email and it def says week ending 15/01/2021. It wouldn’t make sense to be before the closing date though. 

On 13/11/2020 at 18:28, Lara Eschler said:

It seems like the yeses on the forum are mostly boys? 

I have a theory here (happy to be lambasted over it!!) that as there are sooooo many more girls than boys ‘in the circuit’ parents become increasingly wary of sharing information to protect themselves/DC’s a little? To ‘cushion the blow’ of a no, & yes, avoid the snide (firsthand experience of this from parents, pupils & im afraid some teachers....)side remarks - I’m sure most of us on here have witnessed on some level of the bitchier side of this ballet world....& also we have to accept that competitiveness & sometimes undermining the competition is likely to be a part of life going forwards! Let’s not sugar coat the fact that not everyone all of the time is nice! 

Also another reason to keep quiet is to perhaps not encourage ever more to apply thus increasing the competition & shortening the odds for their DC’s? 

And so often we can work out who is who & maybe parents quite rightly wish to protect their DD’s from the inevitable comparisons & questions (such as why her & not me? Why is X better than me?) Etc etc....all very disheartening that can lead to anxieties, depressions & worse - other issues such as extreme dieting etc when one DD perhaps compares her body types of a no against a yes....

Not all are guilty I know if all or any of these suggestions I make BUT we all know that places & funding are limited & especially where judgements are made merely from photos (always nuts & unfair IMHO but presently now only options for a while?) or videos (again, never going to be a level playing field as some can - we’ll pre covid - access  & afford to pay more studio hire time, & pay teacher time to guide & some are lucky with teachers who provide this free too - bravo...but again, I understand dance schools do have to run as economically viable businesses - so it’s never a truly as equal a playing field as them doing the same 1 hour auditin class can potentially be. More of my ramblings - sorry! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I have a theory here (happy to be lambasted over it!!) that as there are sooooo many more girls than boys ‘in the circuit’ parents become increasingly wary of sharing information to protect themselves/DC’s a little? To ‘cushion the blow’ of a no, & yes, avoid the snide (firsthand experience of this from parents, pupils & im afraid some teachers....)side remarks - I’m sure most of us on here have witnessed on some level of the bitchier side of this ballet world....& also we have to accept that competitiveness & sometimes undermining the competition is likely to be a part of life going forwards! Let’s not sugar coat the fact that not everyone all of the time is nice! 

Also another reason to keep quiet is to perhaps not encourage ever more to apply thus increasing the competition & shortening the odds for their DC’s? 

And so often we can work out who is who & maybe parents quite rightly wish to protect their DD’s from the inevitable comparisons & questions (such as why her & not me? Why is X better than me?) Etc etc....all very disheartening that can lead to anxieties, depressions & worse - other issues such as extreme dieting etc when one DD perhaps compares her body types of a no against a yes....

Not all are guilty I know if all or any of these suggestions I make BUT we all know that places & funding are limited & especially where judgements are made merely from photos (always nuts & unfair IMHO but presently now only options for a while?) or videos (again, never going to be a level playing field as some can - we’ll pre covid - access  & afford to pay more studio hire time, & pay teacher time to guide & some are lucky with teachers who provide this free too - bravo...but again, I understand dance schools do have to run as economically viable businesses - so it’s never a truly as equal a playing field as them doing the same 1 hour auditin class can potentially be. More of my ramblings - sorry! 

I think more parents of boys who do ballet might try to connect on forums as they might not know many other ballet boys locally (this is my case at least). So parents of boys might appear overly represented on this forum. I got no help or support from local dance school for applications and especially the recent video applications were very stressful and a lonely process so it was comforting to see other parents going through the process on this forum.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

I think more parents of boys who do ballet might try to connect on forums as they might not know many other ballet boys locally (this is my case at least). So parents of boys might appear overly represented on this forum. I got no help or support from local dance school for applications and especially the recent video applications were very stressful and a lonely process so it was comforting to see other parents going through the process on this forum.

You have a point there @Lara Eschler and I certainly come into the category of wanting to connect with people going through the audition process via this forum as it has been a lonely business, especially this year! I  also understand that the intensity of competition for those with DDs rather than DSs is very different and I sympathise with your situation @Peanut68.  It takes a brave person to post a 'no' result. I'm also sorry if you've experienced snide comments and so forth and sincerely hope it hasn't happened on this forum. Perhaps one issue with boys is that there are plenty of boys out there who would probably be good at and enjoy dance but who choose not to do it at all because of the out-dated but still common negative attitudes of family, friends or peers. For them, the 'nos', nasty remarks and off-putting comments have come even before they think about entering a dance studio. 

• Like 4

agree with what has been said - a couple of other considerations regarding DSs.  

Many girls dream of being ballet dancers before even taking a class.  Suspect not the same is true of boys, so although the field may be slightly smaller, those who are there are probably of a standard to have a realistic chance of success.   You wouldn't put up with the "help" from your schoolmates otherwise.

I also think, based on my DS's experiences at vocational school and beyond, more boys who apply have families who work in dance (we didn't, not a clue!) so may come to auditions better prepared.

This is not a blanket statement just my observations.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

I came to this site regarding my DS as a I have (had) absolutely no idea about anything ballet. As a Dad, I grew up with martial arts etc. DS dance school is very inward looking and absolutely no help. I only knew DS has some talent because he was getting top marks in Grades so I began to explore opportunities for him- this forum has been a God Send and thank you to everyone for their knowledge and kindness!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Really good points! Sorry you’ve not had help from local dance school.... I must say ours always bends over backwards to support where they can....especially the boys!!  

• Like 1

Does anyone know if you can change the pictures on the application for summer?

We are going to apply following a no for spring but the pictures do not show DD in her best light so would like to change them. 

When I go into the application it would let me delete them and add more but it also says you can’t change the photos once submitted. 

I don’t know whether to submit a new application with different email address. 

There would really be no point in using the ones for spring. 

ALSO, for age 10 can you only request one of the weeks? We could do either and aren’t particularly bothered which dates but it will only let me select one?

7 hours ago, SJBallet said:

We are going to apply following a no for spring but the pictures do not show DD in her best light so would like to change them. 

When I go into the application it would let me delete them and add more but it also says you can’t change the photos once submitted. 

ALSO, for age 10 can you only request one of the weeks? We could do either and aren’t particularly bothered which dates but it will only let me select one?

I would think you can change them, given that it’s essentially a new application, but I would contact the school to be sure. However, I wouldn’t assume a no for Easter would also mean no for summer with the same pics, as there are far more places available for summer. My dd had a place for last summer, but only got the wait list for Easter (different pics this year obviously). We’ve submitted for summer with the same pics, and also used those pics for the WL application (with the video of course!). 

10 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I have just applied for DS to do the Summer Intensive. I read this as - once you have submitted and application e.g. The Spring Intensive, you could not change the pictures. This would be like moving goal posts for assessors. However, 'modifying' application to include Summer does allow you to do updates, including deleting the old pics and adding new. I had planned to do exactly that, but had difficulties with new pics so have chosen to keep the Spring ones.

Incidentally, after submitting my modifications, I received an email confirming that we would hear by Jan 15th which makes no sense as applications will still be open so assuming an error.

Still hoping Spring intensive goes ahead, DS will be devastated if not !!

13 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

@balletboy8I hope that’s not the case re the 15th. We’re still waiting for an injury to heal to take the photos. So was going to leave it a few weeks!

It must be an error as before closing date but this is what I received at the end of confirmation email:

Your application will now be processed and we will email results by:
Winter Japan - week ending 25/09/2020
Spring London - week ending 20/11/2020
Spring Hong Kong - week ending 27/11/2020
Summer London - week ending 15/01/2021
Best wishes,
The Intensive Courses Team

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, does anyone know whether late August born children are allowed to apply for the RBS London Summer Intensive?

My yr5 daughter will still be 9 (turns 10 end of August). It says in the information page that children must be 10 'by 31st August' which she will be, but in the application form it says they must be 10 'at the start of the chosen course' which she will not be? 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spamcat said:

Hi, does anyone know whether late August born children are allowed to apply for the RBS London Summer Intensive?

My yr5 daughter will still be 9 (turns 10 end of August). It says in the information page that children must be 10 'by 31st August' which she will be, but in the application form it says they must be 10 'at the start of the chosen course' which she will not be? 🤔🤔🤔

It is the age the child will be on Aug 31st. If you contact RB admissions they will clarify this for you.

• Like 1

Ok thank you both. I will continue with application and see how far I get. It looked like it was 31st (as on by school year) but the application form clearly said '10 by first day of course' which was a bit confusing.

Thanks x