Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

Congratulations to the yesses, waiting lists and the no's are not yets...which is where we are. It's easy to overhink it all and after reading all the helpful comments here, it's a case of chalk it up to experience and forward with the next dance project... in our case audition video... resilience is a great skill to have and I'm learning! Good luck to everyone here who is on the vocational journey, especially in these different times. I try to keep telling myself what will be, will be and me trying to second guess isn't helping me, although I do still seem to do it! 🤔🤣.. One thing I do know, is this forum is amazing place for support 🥰 so much experience on here 😍

Edited by Crazylifecrazykids
  • Like 2

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a yes for my DS! So happy as he didn't get to do the Summer Intensive this year. Congratulations to all, whether yes, SWL or not yet. It's been a tough year and to still stay positive, forge ahead and apply for things in the current climate takes a great deal of dedication - DCs and parents alike!

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

It's hard not to be disheartened by the no's. It's nice to hear of success stories but we really have resigned ourselves to a no really just means that and not a 'not yet'.

It saddens me that ballet remains such an expensive pursuit, constant application fees which are simply unaffordable for very many families.

• Like 2

@HopelessMummyIt’s such a tricky one. I do wonder sometimes at the trend on this forum to label all no’s as ‘not yets’. Yes sometimes they are but at some point a no is a no and will remain a no. The difficulty is knowing which is which. 

I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on intensive results particularly this year. The different arms of RBS do seem to operate quite independently of each other so results in one area don’t necessarily tally up. Plus there are many odd circumstances this year which seem to make it a tricky one on which to base conclusions. 

That being said if this no is the latest in a string of no’s from RBS then maybe the truth has to be faced that RBS isn’t the right school. This doesn’t mean there is no future in classical ballet: other schools are available which may suit children more!! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Whiteduvet said:

@HopelessMummyIt’s such a tricky one. I do wonder sometimes at the trend on this forum to label all no’s as ‘not yets’. Yes sometimes they are but at some point a no is a no and will remain a no. The difficulty is knowing which is which. 

I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on intensive results particularly this year. The different arms of RBS do seem to operate quite independently of each other so results in one area don’t necessarily tally up. Plus there are many odd circumstances this year which seem to make it a tricky one on which to base conclusions. 

That being said if this no is the latest in a string of no’s from RBS then maybe the truth has to be faced that RBS isn’t the right school. This doesn’t mean there is no future in classical ballet: other schools are available which may suit children more!! 

I do know of a child that had straight no’s all the way through JAs, years 4-6, and the same for intensives every year. Then come year 7 auditions, they not only got to WL finals, but were called back in the final few. They then got a MA place!  So you never know. Kids change SO much!

I think it’s the attitude that counts when applying, especially with intensives that are chosen by photos and also a clear understanding of the odds! The selection committee must be so swamped with choice, and I’m sure the final choices come down to minuscule differences between dancers. I don’t envy them to be honest. My DD understands that there is nothing wrong with her if she doesn’t get a place somewhere, just others seem a better fit to what the panel are looking for. We look forward to our annual roll of the RBS dice 😆 xx

Edited by margarite
Clarity
  • Like 3

We got the waiting list which we seem to get every time. I do know of girls who have had spaces offered from the waiting list but we haven’t as yet. I do think having to pay to apply isn’t the best idea and I am going to really think about whether it is worth the expense especially with 2 DD’s. 
Congratulations to every child with a yes I really hope they love it, fingers crossed to all those on the waiting list and RBS isn’t the only option to those with a no. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 07:38, SJBallet said:

@Whiteduvet I’ve considered the following:

*photos

*children that don’t require funding so more  money for RBS

*children that do a reasonable amount of dancing so could cope with the days

*those that have indicated they want full time training 

*I can’t decide whether being a current JA is a positive or not. 

I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think what they are just now, these are just from the questions on the application. 

But even after thinking about all of the above I still think it’s a lottery 😁

Hi there

I have just started to follow this link and share the idea that selection has to be based on things we might never really know but in response to the areas of thought that you have posted and I share:

We heard yesterday that our DS has been offered a place on the Spring Intensive, the salient formation is:

He is Y5 in school - age 10

He is a JA - since Y4

The photos were traumatic - wore JA uniform - you state in application whether they are a JA or not anyway, but done on mobile phone, in the house, by me (know nothing of ballet)

We have requested funding support

He does 5 hours of dance (because he is a JA) and 6 hours of Gymnastics

He definitely wants to do WL fulltime in Y7

We were not thinking residential because of his age  but due to Covid the course is now only residential - DS was so excited that he wants to do it anyway

Sorry if I have gone on too much.

• Like 1

@balletboy8

how wonderful 😊

that is really good to hear. I constantly worry that the photos need to be taken professionally.

my DD is also year 5 and JA from year 4, I took the photos myself with a little advice from her local dance teacher, she got wait list which we are happy with for her first application 

I’m sure your DS will love it, what a fantastic opportunity 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

@balletboy8

how wonderful 😊

that is really good to hear. I constantly worry that the photos need to be taken professionally.

my DD is also year 5 and JA from year 4, I took the photos myself with a little advice from her local dance teacher, she got wait list which we are happy with for her first application 

I’m sure your DS will love it, what a fantastic opportunity 

Thank you Fairydust - we have to loosen the reins sometime 😀

1 hour ago, margarite said:

I do know of a child that had straight no’s all the way through JAs, years 4-6, and the same for intensives every year. Then come year 7 auditions, they not only got to WL finals, but were called back in the final few. They then got a MA place!  So you never know. Kids change SO much!

I think it’s the attitude that counts when applying, especially with intensives that are chosen by photos and also a clear understanding of the odds! The selection committee must be so swamped with choice, and I’m sure the final choices come down to minuscule differences between dancers. I don’t envy them to be honest. My DD understands that there is nothing wrong with her if she doesn’t get a place somewhere, just others seem a better fit to what the panel are looking for. We look forward to our annual roll of the RBS dice 😆 xx

I think you’re so right that it will come down to minuscule differences. I also wonder if perhaps they favour children who aren’t already JAs, to give them the experience? I have no idea how many JAs get in vs not, but just a thought. My dd asked me last night about not getting in (she’s on the waiting list) and said “what did I do wrong?” 😢 I told her she didn’t ‘do’ anything, she just had her picture taken! Difficult to navigate all this! 

• Like 2

Congratulations @balletboy8! That is great news 🙂.  We also said we're applying for Y7 WL so I wonder if that is a relevant factor? 

This is my DS's third year of applying for RBS things, with last year's summer intensive that didn't happen and previous SWLs and other things that didn't pan out with the disappointments that followed...so sympathise with the responses here about tough decisions about whether to reapply with all the costs involved. We decided to keep trying and keep hoping - because it is what he wants to do. It's a powerful motivation which I guess drives us all to make the sacrifices and go through the stress for our DCs. Hoping that there are yeses in the dance world around the corner for all on this forum. ❤️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Congratulations @balletboy8! That is great news 🙂.  We also said we're applying for Y7 WL so I wonder if that is a relevant factor? 

This is my DS's third year of applying for RBS things, with last year's summer intensive that didn't happen and previous SWLs and other things that didn't pan out with the disappointments that followed...so sympathise with the responses here about tough decisions about whether to reapply with all the costs involved. We decided to keep trying and keep hoping - because it is what he wants to do. It's a powerful motivation which I guess drives us all to make the sacrifices and go through the stress for our DCs. Hoping that there are yeses in the dance world around the corner for all on this forum. ❤️

Thanks TwirlyWhirly (cool name by the way), congratulations to your DS too - well done for continuing to apply - perseverance is such a needed quality to follow dreams 😀 

• Like 1

My dd was a JA when she received her swl place in year 6 before gaining a full time place. Now we realise that the summer intensive system Is complete different from the full time training .she did end up doing SI and WL  full timers are encouraged to apply . It’s great experience but it certainly does not give a flavour of full timing training . That is very different. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PetitJeté said:

That’s interesting @Katniss The only thing I would say though is that year 6 JAs obviously haven’t had the chance to even visit WL yet, which they would normally have done this term, so attending an intensive would in my mind at least be a way of experiencing the place. 

All places at Wl will have been given out by the intensive 

Congrats to those who’ve got places. Well done! 

Another waiting list place here (boy, current yr6 JA). Same as this year for summer (which didn’t go ahead). 

DS is feeling rather deflated lately, he thinks it’s him because he really struggles to train at home so his usual confident, happy self has turned quite sad and always questioning whether he can even do what is required - we are trying to keep his spirits up and remind him it’s really not and that everyone is in the same boat with a hit to their training at the moment. Stressful times indeed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Another waiting list place here (boy, current yr6 JA). Same as this year for summer (which didn’t go ahead). 

DS is feeling rather deflated lately, he thinks it’s him because he really struggles to train at home so his usual confident, happy self has turned quite sad and always questioning whether he can even do what is required - we are trying to keep his spirits up and remind him it’s really not and that everyone is in the same boat with a hit to their training at the moment. Stressful times indeed.

Sorry to hear your DS is feeling deflated.  Places on Royal intensives are few and far between in any year but with reduced class sizes they are even fewer this year but the wait lists are there in case they are allowed to put more students into the studios and boarding houses.  Having the decisions based on photographs is hard to take and we have had knockbacks based on photos and the following year Yeses for auditions.  I would love to be bale to say it gets easier as they get older and understand more but I am not sure.  All we can do is be there for support and encouragement.

• Like 7

On 16/11/2020 at 14:32, BalletBoyMumma said:

When we had our answer back - they mentioned that they might be able to offer day places if Covid-restrictions etc change so apart from those who don't take up a place, there may also be more on offer. I also suspect that more than usual will not take up places - when we applied, we had day placement in mind so had to think again when only residential was offered. We had to think about additional cost (quite a lot) and that our DS is only 10 and not been away more than a night before. His excitement made our minds up for us but it was indeed a big decision. Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 2

On 14/11/2020 at 20:55, PetitJeté said:

That’s interesting @Katniss The only thing I would say though is that year 6 JAs obviously haven’t had the chance to even visit WL yet, which they would normally have done this term, so attending an intensive would in my mind at least be a way of experiencing the place. 

This was the biggest kicker for me about the whole thing. My DS who was then Y5 was offered a place for Spring Intensive and I was hoping it would be a way to see if he really liked it there and felt comfortable etc so when it didn’t go ahead I feel a bit like we’ve gone into White Lodge auditions a bit blind. We didn’t reapply for Intensives this year as my thinking was if he was extremely lucky and did get a place for full time training he would have to go to Summer Intensive this year anyway, and if he didn’t get in would he even want to go to an Intensive quite so soon afterwards and be reminded of what he didn’t have if you know what I mean. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

So according to the website both Spring and Summer 21 will be online again? Though I only got the email saying they won't invoice us yet. Feeling disheartened to see that it would be online from the website , will never get to see White Lodge...

Only to be expected I guess. Feel the same way...but there will be other WL intensives in other years (we hope!). Or maybe your DS will get a place at WL anyway and then he'll be seeing it all the time!! Here's hoping! 😊

• Like 2