Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

36 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Amazed it’s a yes of my son! Can’t wait to tell him when he gets home from school.

He will have just turned 10 so I thought that being younger might play into the results 

Congrats!  My DD also got a yes!  

• Like 4

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone with priority booking please tell me the start times for the Wed Thu and Fri for Juniors/10-12 year olds? I don’t need all the individual classes, would just be so useful to know when they start each day! 

6 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

My yr5 DDs birthday is in August so she couldn't apply which I found very unfair, it should go by school year. 😢

Congratulations to all those with WL and Yeses anyway. 🥳

Yes, its a real shame. My DS couldn't apply for spring as too young, and only just scraped the age limit for summer.  Its a genuine shame for those with August birthdays.

• Like 1

DS has also recieved an offer of a place for Summer Intensive 😃 Well done to everyone else and good luck to SWL!

Can't wait to tell him - he is Year 5 (10 years old) and also a place on Spring Intensive. He has never been away before so both excited and nervous. None of his friends made the Spring. If any similar 10 year olds want to do introductions so they know someone then please pm me.

• Like 6

On 17/03/2021 at 10:55, Peanut68 said:

So why in future for the £30/60+ fees for applying for short courses don’t they offer several online classes run at different times of day to allow for timezone differences as auditions for these?

Umm, at the risk of being annoying ... 😉  maybe the fees cover staff time for administration of applications, acceptances & rejections, and all the queries in between, as well as the time taken by expert staff in viewing the auditions - whether they're in person or via video or online, that time for staff is still a resource ... 

A yes for my DS who will be 16 this summer.  

We aren’t going to broadcast in real life right away. Some of his bffs have applied and might be still waiting or declined or waitlisted. I don’t want to feel like gloating so we are going to keep under wraps for a while. But how does handle good news with others in real life? We tend to keep quiet about the acceptances because I learned when DS was 13 that it can cause resentment among his peers and also among in parents in our ballet parent circles. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

After a series of ‘wait lists’ on previous applications we have a yes this time too. :) 

Congratulations!  A great outcome for perseverance!

Do any previous participants or applicants know how many students they take per week?  I see its limited to residential-only at this point in time, but that might open up to non-residential places should restriction lifting allow...  So I wonder if they offer as many spaces as dorm beds? Or if restrictions limit that number further...

• Like 3

MariCat, the kids will share with their close friends, there is no keeping that quiet. (At least with girls).  I guess that will depend on your studio and how close the dancers are with friendships.  Ours are tight night and they learn to cope with friends getting better roles and they know their “pecking” order so as dancers they learn to become resilient and bounce back from disappointments. As they get older at 15 plus it is harder. As far as a parent, in the year that my DD pretty much got into every big three letter school Summer program, I laid low and didn’t enter the studio for several weeks. With COVID rules, that should be easy on your part!! Let the news bubble up from the kids naturally, give parents some breathing room of a few weeks and let them ask you questions, not bringing it up personally.

• Like 1

Well done to all those with yeses, good luck to those with WL and sorry to those with no's.

It's a tough old slog and we're just not in the financial position to keep throwing money at applications. That said, some schools don't charge and others have reduced fee. It's a shame that ballet is so expensive for so many.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, HopelessMummy said:

Well done to all those with yeses, good luck to those with WL and sorry to those with no's.

It's a tough old slog and we're just not in the financial position to keep throwing money at applications. That said, some schools don't charge and others have reduced fee. It's a shame that ballet is so expensive for so many.

Yes, it certainly costs a small fortune, even just in repeat applications. There is means tested funding available for those who require it on RBS courses though which I’m not sure if there is on others or not. 

Tring doesn’t require an application fee as far as I can remember. And it’s about half the cost. We were going to see if there were any places left there if this was a waitlist again. It’s always worth looking at what else is available too. :) 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
Missing word.

Wait list here, which DD is absolutely delighted with as we weren’t sure for a while whether she was even going to be eligible to apply age wise (she would have turned 10 while at the august course). Plenty of time for her in the years to come so I’m pleased she’s taken it so well. 

Well done to everyone who has a place (and well done to them all for going for it!) 

Now to start the long wait for JA results for Child no 2! 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thank you! I nearly didn’t apply this time round. 

Congratulations to your DS too. 😊

Also week 1 here. 

We nearly didn’t apply as we thought we wouldn’t be able to provide good photos. We can only have zoom classes in our living room but it’s too dark for photos. So we had to do it ourselves, without any guidance, in the kitchen where it’s brighter.

It’s just restored my faith that at this moment in time, they can see past ‘rough round the edges’ photos that aren’t done in a studio. 

• Like 2