Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Spamcat said:

Ok thank you both. I will continue with application and see how far I get. It looked like it was 31st (as on by school year) but the application form clearly said '10 by first day of course' which was a bit confusing.

Thanks x

I once made a boo boo on the form and put in the wrong age. They picked that up right away and emailed to check. So I think they're likely to check if they are in doubt.

Also in answer to another question, you want to apply for another week, that's another application and fee you need to make and pay... 

• Like 1

I emailed to ask and just received this:

'Thank you for your email, we have recently made a change to this age requirement and students must be 10 by the start of their chosen course. I will ensure this is changed ASAP on our website.'

I feel like this is so unfair on August born children! My DD will be the only one of her yr5 friends who cannot apply. 😭

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

'Thank you for your email, we have recently made a change to this age requirement and students must be 10 by the start of their chosen course. I will ensure this is changed ASAP on our website.'

I feel like this is so unfair on August born children! My DD will be the only one of her yr5 friends who cannot apply. 😭

Aw that is such a shame Spamcat x 

• Like 3

Just decided to withdraw my DS from the Spring Intensive. Just too difficult to get there, do a Covid test and so on, with so many uncertainties... Really gutted as this is the second time my DS got an RBS intensive place then couldn't do it. The one positive is that maybe this will mean someone on this forum will get in from SWL!

3 hours ago, Spamcat said:

Oh no - that’s the same situation for us too then, DD had always planned to apply this year but she is also 10 at the start of August 😢 Pretty frustrating as it means children born in that one month only don’t have the chance to try at the end of Year 5...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Just decided to withdraw my DS from the Spring Intensive. Just too difficult to get there, do a Covid test and so on, with so many uncertainties... Really gutted as this is the second time my DS got an RBS intensive place then couldn't do it. The one positive is that maybe this will mean someone on this forum will get in from SWL!

It's just so tough. We have a similar dilemma. Not least of all because I suspect that we will pay and book CV-19 CPR test 28 days in advance and then Spring I will be cancelled and we have already paid for test - £120. Not the end of the world but painful. DS was just sooooo excited, it's been hard to say 'No'.

I also feel for those August babies, does seem so unfair, surely they will re-think as I believe RBS take equal ops seriously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balletboy8 said:

It's just so tough. We have a similar dilemma. Not least of all because I suspect that we will pay and book CV-19 CPR test 28 days in advance and then Spring I will be cancelled and we have already paid for test - £120. Not the end of the world but painful. DS was just sooooo excited, it's been hard to say 'No'.

I also feel for those August babies, does seem so unfair, surely they will re-think as I believe RBS take equal ops seriously.

Where have you booked for the covid test ? I need to do this asap if it needs booking 28 days before 

Thanks xx

3 hours ago, Waverley said:

Oh no - that’s the same situation for us too then, DD had always planned to apply this year but she is also 10 at the start of August 😢 Pretty frustrating as it means children born in that one month only don’t have the chance to try at the end of Year 5...

Maybe though the way to look at it is if they keep the same rules, those August children will get one more chance at the upper age range than their friends in same school year as they will still be ‘young’ enough 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ButterflyBallerina said:

Where have you booked for the covid test ? I need to do this asap if it needs booking 28 days before 

Thanks xx

Sorry to hear some dc can no longer attend. Why does the covid test need be be booked 28 days in advance? I had bought a private test kit in September and it was delivered the next day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Sorry to hear some dc can no longer attend. Why does the covid test need be be booked 28 days in advance? I had bought a private test kit in September and it was delivered the next day. 

Sorry if reads wrong -- to ensure that test can be taken 3 days before intensive (as required) you will need to book as early as possible to ensure you get one of the slots at your chosen boots centre and you cannot order earlier than 28 days. You are correct, you could order the day you want the test but are gambling on appointments being available. By this stage, you would be committed to paying for whole intensive and would be gutted if there was not any slots available. .. Sorry for confusion 🙃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Sorry if reads wrong -- to ensure that test can be taken 3 days before intensive (as required) you will need to book as early as possible to ensure you get one of the slots at your chosen boots centre and you cannot order earlier than 28 days. You are correct, you could order the day you want the test but are gambling on appointments being available. By this stage, you would be committed to paying for whole intensive and would be gutted if there was not any slots available. .. Sorry for confusion 🙃

Thanks @balletboy8, I was planning to have the test kit delivered early  (it is valid for 6 months) and take the swabs myself and send them back and then results are pretty quick. I will look into it more. Always good to be prepared. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waverley said:

I really do feel like is just so incredibly unfair. I am really quite upset about it. Lots of my daughter's yr5 Elmhurst friends are applying, all of which she will be up against at vocational auditions which start this autumn and this is such a valuable opportunity for some excellent training and to be 'seen' before these auditions. As @balletboy8 said they must take equal opportunities seriously and this is definitely not equal.

August born are already at a huge disadvantage being up against older kids.

I feel like I want to write and ask them to reconsider for all of these reasons but I'm worried they might be annoyed by that and give my DD a bad name. Not sure what to do. 😭

6 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Just reading this thread.. is there any chance you can get the rapid testing kits? Can you purchase these? These give results in 30 minutes? DC not on the intensive but had a look at the thread. Do your DCs need a covid test before attending? 

Sadly, the rapid testing kits are not currently considered good (efficacy) enough - and RBS require a certificate. To be honest, if they become considered good enough it will only be to reduce CPR pressures on schools for attendance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

I really do feel like is just so incredibly unfair. I am really quite upset about it. Lots of my daughter's yr5 Elmhurst friends are applying, all of which she will be up against at vocational auditions which start this autumn and this is such a valuable opportunity for some excellent training and to be 'seen' before these auditions. As @balletboy8 said they must take equal opportunities seriously and this is definitely not equal.

August born are already at a huge disadvantage being up against older kids.

I feel like I want to write and ask them to reconsider for all of these reasons but I'm worried they might be annoyed by that and give my DD a bad name. Not sure what to do. 😭

I can't and wouldn't want to advise.. what do I know? One possible consolation is that the intensives are residential and I'm worried about my DS (I didn't intend residential) at 10 years old - I would be terrified at 9 years. However, maturity is individual and not only age related so it could be (likely is) that your DD is much more advanced than my DS 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

Sadly, the rapid testing kits are not currently considered good (efficacy) enough - and RBS require a certificate. To be honest, if they become considered good enough it will only be to reduce CPR pressures on schools for attendance.

Ahh ok.. very interesting. Hope you get it all sorted such challenging times 

23 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Just reading this thread.. is there any chance you can get the rapid testing kits? Can you purchase these? These give results in 30 minutes? DC not on the intensive but had a look at the thread. Do your DCs need a covid test before attending? 

Yes, they need a test before attending the Spring Intensive, and the swabs sample should not be older than 72 hours. They won't accept the rapid test, as PCR is still considered gold standard. 

@balletboy8 thank you. She would absolutely love to do residential! She has done a short residential before and loved it, she is very independent. Also we have booked the Tring Easter residential and I'm really hoping this can go ahead after the lockdown 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

@balletboy8 thank you. She would absolutely love to do residential! She has done a short residential before and loved it, she is very independent. Also we have booked the Tring Easter residential and I'm really hoping this can go ahead after the lockdown 🤞🤞🤞

My DS loved the Tring residentials and was exceptionally allowed to board at 8 the first time  as we could not commute. I thought last year RBS allowed August born children to apply for Summer Intensives but not Spring, though I might be wrong. 

@balletboy8 I am sure your ds will be fine but feel free to get in touch closer to the time (assuming all goes ahead) and our dss can make contact before the course (my ds is year6 though). 

• Like 2

Is there any advantage to attending an intensive if you are planning to try for WL? Hadn't really considered it for DD. Worry they might not like what they see and discount her before audition even happens 😂

Edited by BellaF

8 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

My DS loved the Tring residentials and was exceptionally allowed to board at 8 the first time  as we could not commute. I thought last year RBS allowed August born children to apply for Summer Intensives but not Spring, though I might be wrong. 

@balletboy8 I am sure your ds will be fine but feel free to get in touch closer to the time (assuming all goes ahead) and our dss can make contact before the course (my ds is year6 though). 

Yes they did allow it last year, it has always gone by age on 31st August in the past, they have just changed the rules but I cannot imagine why they would do this knowing it would be so unfair to August born children.

@BellaF I would have thought it would be good for children like my DD who aren't JAs to get a chance to be seen but I'm sure it would be good training for anyone.

I know it is highly unlikely she would get a place anyway, I just feel that she should have the same opportunities as her year group.

@spamcat agree it seems very unfair to August born children who will be auditioning alongside current year 5s who are eligible. As I understand, there are other programmes, whilst not as prestigious, offer really good training ahead of audition (or any other) year.

DD will be at Malvern this summer (covid dependant 🤞).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

That would be lovely - thank you!

44 minutes ago, BellaF said:

@spamcat agree it seems very unfair to August born children who will be auditioning alongside current year 5s who are eligible. As I understand, there are other programmes, whilst not as prestigious, offer really good training ahead of audition (or any other) year.

DD will be at Malvern this summer (covid dependant 🤞).

Thanks, I'll see what else I can find. I don't really know about any others apart from the Tring dance course, but was hoping for a ballet intensive. Xx

12 hours ago, Macy1 said:

Maybe though the way to look at it is if they keep the same rules, those August children will get one more chance at the upper age range than their friends in same school year as they will still be ‘young’ enough 

Totally appreciate this point but the problem is that the august born children (in England) will still be applying for vocational schools this time next year, along with all the other current year 5’s. They wont, however, have had the chance to even try for summer school which in an ideal world (and I appreciate it hasn’t happened this year due to COVID) would have given them the same opportunity as all the other year 5s to see White Lodge and experience being away from home in that environment. 

Obviously getting in to summer intensive is always a long shot but now children born in that one month only don’t even have the chance to try. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spamcat said:

Thanks, I'll see what else I can find. I don't really know about any others apart from the Tring dance course, but was hoping for a ballet intensive. Xx

There is also Yorkshire Ballet Seminars but from what I can see they are only taking children this summer who were successful last year but weren’t able to attend as it was obviously cancelled. Maybe some places will become available nearer the time if some people drop out - might be worth keeping an eye on their social media. 

• Like 1

We've managed to book a free test with our council - they do asymptomatic testing which you can book for. I've booked him in for the Thursday before because I'm worried that they won't get the results over Easter weekend - it says you can do one 120 hours (ie 5 days) before if they then isolate after taking it.... Am worried about it not being 72 hours before but I'm more worried that 72 hours won't be enough...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicky73 said:

We've managed to book a free test with our council - they do asymptomatic testing which you can book for. I've booked him in for the Thursday before because I'm worried that they won't get the results over Easter weekend - it says you can do one 120 hours (ie 5 days) before if they then isolate after taking it.... Am worried about it not being 72 hours before but I'm more worried that 72 hours won't be enough...

That's great news- I've not been able to find any free asymptomatic PCR testing at all 😂

On 31/01/2021 at 12:00, Spamcat said:

Hi, does anyone know whether late August born children are allowed to apply

Hello,

I have every sympathy with you as this problem is set to stay with your DC as they progress.

I know because mine is always the youngest being a late August baby too, IF she is allowed, and now that she is completing her 8th year of vocational training and is ready, has been ready for a year, to join a company for the next season, she is too young to apply to most as she is still only 17. She is routinely taken for 21,22 yrs amongst her peers in professional classes for her skill set and artistic confidence, but can't even apply. She is resorting to leaving her date of birth off the form or curriculum if she can.  

It is much better to express development in terms of years of classes and how many per week, when it comes to younger activities, as children develop at different rates, but within reason... say a two year age range, not 3 or 4. It is fairer in my opinion. 

The system of vocational education in our country links music or dance education to the academic year, which is dependent upon the age up to December, not August. As children can be retained back a year, two even, if they fail to progess to the yearly academic  fixed targets in each subjec( continuous assessment plus national exams), we can have quite an age range in a class by say year 8 in normal schools( English year 9). However failure to reach standards artistically  as well really messes up the system and  government funding in vocational schools, so usually only academically secure students are even considered for the artistic route at the start or entering part way, and if students fall behind other suggestions are made. On the other hand , the government is paying for a super opportunity and both have mine have benefitted though we did not know at aged 9/10 that they would finish up completing the full cicle and pursue their chosen art. 

Good luck everyone. It's a rollercoaster ride for parents, dancers and don't forget the  non D siblings. I wish I had known of this forum years ago.There is so much useful information and encouragement to be fund in the contributions.

Don't worry if DD's don't make it this year or next. As one door doesn't open,don't force it, just try the next door along. We have too many unknown variables and obstacles this year. Just keep them all motivated and their time will come.

• Like 4