Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

Right.. here is my tale of woe 🤣 the intensive Course 2021 have opened. So armed with photos I went onto the Royal Ballet web site and started the application for Spring and Sunmer Intensive next year. As I went through the process it only offered me the spring intensive and didn't ask me to upload the photos! 🤔 I thought ok, maybe after the payment it will ask me to upload the photos.. so went ahead with that and nope just a summary screen with my application code.

What have I done wrong? 🤣🤣🤣 last year I went on filled out questions,  prompted me to upload the photos one at a time... easy. Not sure what I've done this time. I started the application again incase I had missed it but still couldn't see where to upload, even though it said to have them ready prior to starting the application. I'm very confused haha 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jane said:

I’d contact the RBS as there may be a fault with the website that they’re unaware of and also explain your problem 

Thankyou, yeah I have emailed and had an automated reply that refers to their online Summer intensive 🙈 haha I'm really not lucky with this sort of thing! 🤣🤣

So I was just wondering if I'd been a dumb ass lol or anyone else and experienced the same, to put my mind at rest and it's not just me lol. I even went back in to update but still no indication to upload photos.

1 hour ago, SJBallet said:

I can’t find anything on the course selection part (not that I have DDs photos sorted yet!) but I thought I’d test it, so I can’t get any further. 

Also when it says are they

* general applicant

* RBS Student

* Direct entry

Do you think RBS student applies to associates? 

Well I put yes because last year the question asked and there was a drop down and it had JAs on there  x

On 17/09/2020 at 20:52, SJBallet said:

I can’t find anything on the course selection part (not that I have DDs photos sorted yet!) but I thought I’d test it, so I can’t get any further. 

Also when it says are they

* general applicant

* RBS Student

* Direct entry

Do you think RBS student applies to associates? 

I now think I may have been wrong to click the rbs student. I re ran the form and put general applicant and it went on to ask about if a JA etc, so hmm.. think that's why I've not been asked for photos... I'm going to ring them on Monday, they are going to think I'm so stupid 🥺

16 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

I now think I may have been wrong to click the rbs student. I re ran the form and put general applicant and it went on to ask about if a JA etc, so hmm.. think that's why I've not been asked for photos... I'm going to ring them on Monday, they are going to think I'm so stupid 🥺

They won’t. It’s really not clear. From reading your post I went into select general applicant and can now answer the additional dancing questions but it still doesn’t give me any courses to select so I can’t get any further. 

6 hours ago, SJBallet said:

They won’t. It’s really not clear. From reading your post I went into select general applicant and can now answer the additional dancing questions but it still doesn’t give me any courses to select so I can’t get any further. 

hmm..  a bit odd. What is your child's age? Maybe not old enough for spring but will be for summer? I don't summer applications are out.. even going through as a Royal ballet student, the only option I had was for spring. I was going to do both together x

On 22/09/2020 at 09:17, SJBallet said:

Update:

It’s a system error that they are fixing today and the closing date is 26th October. 

They’re going to update the website with the closing date info. 

so.... the saga continues! Haha I tried to sort my application but due to limited amount of staff in, its proving to be difficult, the advice from W/L was to do another application (diff email address) then try and get a refund on the first non photo application. So I've done that this morning... Summer not out for applications yet from what I can see. I had to chuckle to myself as her chances of getting a place are so low, especially as photos don't really show her at her best lol and all this stress for such a small chance.. things we do!? 🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sorted now @Crazylifecrazykids?

We did photos at the weekend and then when I was sorting the application realised we did the arabesque on an angle

rather than side view so going to have to do them again next sat. 

I’ve just sent an email to check re socks for girls as it says no tights but doesn’t say anything about socks for girls but it does for boys. We did without socks but as we have to re do some I thought I may as well ask.

Does anyone know how many places there are for age 10-12 group? I read that there are 28 girls per year but not sure if it really means per year or per group (I.e 10-12). I was thinking about the possible number of beds as there are 12 y7 & 12y8,  (girls) beds potentially so would this cover perhaps 24 spaces for girls age 10-12, I.e years 5-7? 

1 hour ago, SJBallet said:

Are you sorted now @Crazylifecrazykids?

We did photos at the weekend and then when I was sorting the application realised we did the arabesque on an angle

rather than side view so going to have to do them again next sat. 

I’ve just sent an email to check re socks for girls as it says no tights but doesn’t say anything about socks for girls but it does for boys. We did without socks but as we have to re do some I thought I may as well ask.

Does anyone know how many places there are for age 10-12 group? I read that there are 28 girls per year but not sure if it really means per year or per group (I.e 10-12). I was thinking about the possible number of beds as there are 12 y7 & 12y8,  (girls) beds potentially so would this cover perhaps 24 spaces for girls age 10-12, I.e years 5-7? 

Yeah sort of got it sorted lol. We weren't happy with one of the photos, so re took and used the modify option to delete the one we didn't want and upload the new one but I don't know if it had already been seen. 

No idea as to how many places... my child's chances are slim! Or even less than slim haha. Good luck with your application x

7 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Yeah sort of got it sorted lol. We weren't happy with one of the photos, so re took and used the modify option to delete the one we didn't want and upload the new one but I don't know if it had already been seen. 

No idea as to how many places... my child's chances are slim! Or even less than slim haha. Good luck with your application x

Glad you got sorted. Our chances are also very slim, but it’s good to try. 

Good luck to you too. 

• Like 1

Hello! Another parent of a yr 5 JA here, very grateful to the person who first mentioned that applications were open as the email reminder didn't come through until several days later - well caught @Crazylifecrazykids!

I am going to ask my daughter's ballet teacher to take the photographs, but I also noticed that there appeared to be no mention of sock wearing. It struck me as odd to have ballet shoes and nothing else on their feet, so I wondered if there was a mistake in the instructions. 

Are your children wearing their JA uniform in the photos? I'm not sure whether this will help, hinder or make absolutely no difference 😀  I may be obsessing unduly about these photos though....

Good luck to everyone applying - I'm approaching the process with trepidation as it sounds quite complicated, but grateful to hear about experiences of others and realise that I'm not alone in finding it so.

• Like 1

If it’s anything like a few years ago when my dd was lucky enough to be awarded a place a few times it was no tights, socks or shoes. I suppose so they can see their muscle tone and feet properly. So she just wore a leotard for her photos. 

Not sure if that’s helpful or more confusing! 

Edited by Balletmum55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwoDancers said:

I emailed to ask about the socks and this is the reply I got:-

Hi ....., 

Ballet socks would be preferred.

Thanks, 

I emailed and got the following:

Should your daughter wish to wear socks then short socks will be absolutely fine. Bare legs and ballet shoes are required???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balletmum55 said:

If it’s anything like a few years ago when my dd was lucky enough to be awarded a place a few times it was no tights, socks or shoes. I suppose so they can see their muscle tone and feet properly. So she just wore a leotard for her photos. 

Not sure if that’s helpful or more confusing! 

That’s helpful as the emails two of us seem to have received are confusing, but I suppose it’s how we’ve phrased the question. 

Our photos are currently without socks so will leave them as they are. 

10 hours ago, GabrielleDeV said:

Hello! Another parent of a yr 5 JA here, very grateful to the person who first mentioned that applications were open as the email reminder didn't come through until several days later - well caught @Crazylifecrazykids!

I am going to ask my daughter's ballet teacher to take the photographs, but I also noticed that there appeared to be no mention of sock wearing. It struck me as odd to have ballet shoes and nothing else on their feet, so I wondered if there was a mistake in the instructions. 

Are your children wearing their JA uniform in the photos? I'm not sure whether this will help, hinder or make absolutely no difference 😀  I may be obsessing unduly about these photos though....

Good luck to everyone applying - I'm approaching the process with trepidation as it sounds quite complicated, but grateful to hear about experiences of others and realise that I'm not alone in finding it so.

DD wore just ballet shoes in her pics and bare legs but I'm sure socks would be fine. DD didn't wear her RB leo but a Leo she feels confident in and a colour she likes. We tried for summer last year but got an expected no... so many apply for such few spaces. DD wanted to try for spring this year and I guess as its one week they take less than summer, so chances are slimmer! Haha but she wants to try. Now the MA/ WL prelims have opened and that requires a vidoe as well as photos this time... my nerves are shredded lol, you are not alone x

12 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

That’s helpful as the emails two of us seem to have received are confusing, but I suppose it’s how we’ve phrased the question. 

Our photos are currently without socks so will leave them as they are. 

our photos are also without socks also, its confusing haha but I took it literally. bare legs and ballet shoes.. so that's what we did! 🙃

• Like 1

Ooh, thank you to everybody for the sock info! Maybe the answer is to do one foot on, one foot off! 🤣 

Or more likely, it's reassuring that it sounds that actually it doesn't really matter one way or the other and I should just take a deep breath and relax about it!

@Crazylifecrazykids best of luck to you and your daughter for the video submission. It's difficult for everyone - parents who have to learn how to do the technical side of things as well as the poor children trying to show what they can do in such an artificial context. At least everyone applying will be in the same position. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1