Royal Ballet intensives 2021 (Spring and Summer)

Crazylifecrazykids

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Last year the emails came through at 6pm so still possible. We’ve had waiting list every time so I’m not holding out too much hope this time. 

Ah wow! Dd has never applied for any of thr intensives, despite being a JA for 3 years!! But now she is at vocational school, she feels she needs to do something over the long summer!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Ah wow! Dd has never applied for any of thr intensives, despite being a JA for 3 years!! But now she is at vocational school, she feels she needs to do something over the long summer!

Fingers crossed for your DD! 🤞🩰 There are plenty of spaces I just think we’ve just been unlucky. 

Yes, DS is a JA too (yr6) and we’ve applied for spring/summer/spring and now summer again and somehow I doubt he’ll get this one either. 😅

It’s expensive to keep applying that if this one is a ‘waiting list’ again then next year we’ll go for one without waiting lists (like maybe Tring or Cecchetti 😊). But definitely summer emails came through at 6pm last year (just checked). 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, I am in the same boat - waiting for that email! We are expats living in Orlando and had hoped to move back to the UK this summer to be near family. Unfortunately my daughter got a no from Elmhurst and YDA, and as she's going into year 10, her options are limited. Hoping she may get a summer intensive spot with RBS. 

Edited by expatdancemum

Thank you for the welcome! I have already found so much useful info on this site - very happy to be here! Also happy to answer anyone's questions about dance training over here in the U.S! My DD homeschools to allow for her pre-professional academy training. 

Edited by expatdancemum
  • Like 2

On 12/03/2021 at 21:01, sunrise81 said:

Any idea when we might hear about Summer intensive results? We put in a last minute application but not holding out much hope as we know a lot of places will have gone to those who should have attended last year.....we didn't apply last year though.

I think around 31st of the month

Good luck to all awaiting results...

I can’t tell you how wonderful it feels to NOT be in that position for once as no applications any! How  much stress I have saved by not having the photo or video sagas to go through & how much healthier my bank balance is for not shelling out for applications to merely be looked at!! 

Looking back on the years of no’s/wait lists & the occasional yes I can’t help but think silly me banging that RBS drum for DD....I reckon I must have spent in total over the last few years well over £400 on Spring & Summer intensives application fees (where you get no class or audition to feel like you get something for the money....🤔) Then add on fees for all the RBS associate levels & WL & US auditions.... wow, RBS must have had easily way upwards of £1000 from us! Small price to pay to chase a dream? Hmmm.... I wonder???

BTW, RBS have proven success now st running online classes & form for offering places at courses from these. So why in future for the £30/60+ fees for applying for short courses don’t they offer several online classes run at different times of day to allow for timezone differences as auditions for these? At least the kids get a taste, we parents feel like we get something for the money & it would help alay some of the guilt & anxiety that it’s not an even playing field when it comes to photos as some have a combo of use of studios/dance teachers to help position/pro photographers & some are just reliant on a mum leaning as far back to fit limbs into picture in front of a bedroom curtain! Or even teens placing their phones on a chair to take them themselves!! 

Come on RBS - give people something for the money! There is some good then that could come from lockdown if it shakes this up a little!! 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Good luck to all awaiting results...

I can’t tell you how wonderful it feels to NOT be in that position for once as no applications any! How  much stress I have saved by not having the photo or video sagas to go through & how much healthier my bank balance is for not shelling out for applications to merely be looked at!! 

We are in the same position this year - no photos or videos for summer schools and no application costs.  We have been lucky and had our share of RBS successes but DC decided this year that the summer school, for her, is not as good as other courses.  I am not going to miss the fervent refreshing of e-mails.  Our summer is already mapped out with the understanding that it is COVID dependent and things may well change - we are all well used to that after the last year.  Good luck to all those waiting for results for the summer and for September.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dancedreamer said:

Is it rare these days for a flat no? seems most are waiting list replies?

I applied for a few summer programmes for my son (all international expect RBS), and had a very mixed bag of 'yes' and 'no'.  I might be wrong, but maybe people don't share their 'no's as much as their yesses. I will certainly admit that I tend to discuss 'successes' more than rejections.  Though we treat 'no/not yet' positively in our home.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

A yes for my DD, who is 9 and just scrapes the minimum age requirement of turning 10 in time for the summer intensive.  Amazed he got it, genuinely didn't expect it.  Well done to every applicant regardless of outcome. 

we could only pick one of the weeks and even then he would have turned 10 on the 1st and the course starts on the 2nd . Massive well done for your son

1 minute ago, Dancedreamer said:

we could only pick one of the weeks and even then he would have turned 10 on the 1st and the course starts on the 2nd . Massive well done for your son

That's so kind, thank you.  Our photos were really poor quality, the best we could do in the home and through tutor guidance on zoom.  I'm just glad they saw past that, as we couldn't do anything 'professional' under lockdown.  I'm sure that goes for many people.

• Like 1

Just now, Reachforthemoonhitthestars said:

Hi. Has anyone received an email re priority booking for spring online. And if you have can you find the link, I cannot see a link on the email and it opened today. If you can, can you please DM me?

A no for my DD but a yes from YBSS this year so we shall take that ,)

I can’t get onto the priority booking either, I spoke them and it’s a delay going live and we should be able to book through the website soon!   🤞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Amazed it’s a yes of my son! Can’t wait to tell him when he gets home from school.

He will have just turned 10 so I thought that being younger might play into the results 

Congratulations to your DS. I often felt being at the younger end of the academic year was some disadvantage, but as he matures and has growth spurts I can see it all even out a bit more over time, and he looks less of the baby amongst his year group. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ballet Power said:

I can’t get onto the priority booking either, I spoke them and it’s a delay going live and we should be able to book through the website soon!   🤞

We haven’t received an email for this. Is the priority booking for those that have previously attended or did the last online ones?

DDs a JA so in the royal system as it were. I’d be interested in booking the contemporary classes. Unfortunately for ballet they have to be age 10 and a grade 5 which seems a bit of a leap. 

• Like 1

Just now, SJBallet said:

We haven’t received an email for this. Is the priority booking for those that have previously attended or did the last online ones?

DDs a JA so in the royal system as it were. I’d be interested in booking the contemporary classes. Unfortunately for ballet they have to be age 10 and a grade 5 which seems a bit of a leap. 

If you were waitlisted for the spring intensive you were given priority booking for the online course.  (If the booking system goes live soon!) 

4 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

Those with priority booking, have you been given the timetable? On their website, it just lists the days and classes but no times yet.

Yes we have the timetable on the email they sent.  It’s quite lengthy and different for different age groups though. 

Edited by Ballet Power