• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/03/2020 at 23:09, alison said:

Not only that, but the unexpectedly poor ticket sales for 2019, too ... :( 

I expect this was reported at the time, but which ballets in particular sold poorly?  I thought the season consisted of the usual mixture of "safe" classics, and new works.  Or do you mean poor ticket sales for the ROH in general, including the opera?

How many people on here received the email asking for feedback on the ROH?  I have filled these in before, and the following question always puzzles me.  "Which of the following describe your motivations for attending? (Tick all that apply)"

There are 17 different choices, including Other:

1. To spend time with friends and family
  2. For a special occasion
  3. For peace and quiet
  4. To be intellectually stimulated
  5. To be entertained
  6. To be inspired
  7. To do something new/out of the ordinary
  8. To learn something
  9. To enjoy the atmosphere
  10. For reflection
  11. Dance/Music is an important part of who I am
  12. To escape from everyday life
  13. For academic reasons
  14. For professional reasons
  15. To entertain my children
  16. To educate/stimulate my children
  17. Other

I found myself musing over some of these choices.   The academic in me starts to ponder what some of these actually mean?  What constitutes intellectual stimulation, for example?  Something that provokes heated debate afterwards?  Would that really be someone's motivation for going to the ballet or opera?  Doesn't everyone who attends a place of entertainment (be it the ROH or the local Odeon cinema) do so to be entertained?  And while I enjoy going to see the ballet, I wouldn't exactly say it is an important part of who I am.  On the other hand, the reason why many people attend, which is to see a particular performer in a particular role, doesn't seem to be included.  I shall have to put that down under Other.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I expect this was reported at the time, but which ballets in particular sold poorly?  I thought the season consisted of the usual mixture of "safe" classics, and new works.  Or do you mean poor ticket sales for the ROH in general, including the opera?

Manon comes to mind...esp opening night

13 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Err, a joke?  Humour?  Honest irony?  Self-deprecation?  What on earth else could it possibly be?

Disappointing Dave.

It obviously wasn’t very clear to everyone that it was a joke.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

Manon comes to mind...esp opening night

Don Quixote, initially, the Two Pigeons bill, Frankenstein ...  Can't remember what else was on last season.  I don't know what the opera sales were like.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

I found myself musing over some of these choices.   The academic in me starts to ponder what some of these actually mean?  What constitutes intellectual stimulation, for example?  Something that provokes heated debate afterwards?  Would that really be someone's motivation for going to the ballet or opera?  Doesn't everyone who attends a place of entertainment (be it the ROH or the local Odeon cinema) do so to be entertained?  And while I enjoy going to see the ballet, I wouldn't exactly say it is an important part of who I am.  On the other hand, the reason why many people attend, which is to see a particular performer in a particular role, doesn't seem to be included.  I shall have to put that down under Other.  

The list is something of a nonsense Fonty, you are right to query it. As I have received similar (maybe identical) attempts at social science polling from different Arts Council-supported organisations I can only imagine that the ROH is required to gather this non-data as part of the Maoist requirements that lie behind receiving ACE support. 

I've stopped doing surveys because of the ludicrous questions they ask.  As they are nearly all the same no matter which theatre or company they have come from I think Geoff is correct in that it is the Arts Council that requires this.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Anna C said:

It obviously wasn’t very clear to everyone that it was a joke.  

No, you’re right.  Predictably there’s always the usual suspects....

You really would have to be ?....?......I know not what to take offence at such an innocuous statement.  Puzzled

10 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

No, you’re right.  Predictably there’s always the usual suspects....

You really would have to be ?....?......I know not what to take offence at such an innocuous statement.  Puzzled

I don’t understand your implication or “?....?......”.

Personally, had I written something I thought funny but that other people did not, I would assume the lack of clarity was *my* mistake as the author, not theirs as the reader.  

Anyway, perhaps we could get back on topic.

• Like 1

Quite Anna (I always find that if I laugh at my own joke and no-one else is laughing then it's not a joke!).

I would love to see Scenes de Ballet again.  Does anyone think there is any chance of that being revived any time soon?  (I would also like BRB to do it again).

• Like 4

Not sure if I should attach a link for the sake of protocol or practicality, but I just read a recent Russian interview with Osipova that suggested O'Hare is intending to bring back the likes of Dante's Inferno and Swan Lake next season since the audience/dancers/artists involved missed out on them. She also talks about her life post-quarantine if that interests anybody, and how all of the rest of the company are coping with company-led classes they do in the morning together spearheaded by instructors like Brian. 

Edit: I'll just go ahead and attach the link: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4316257

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Not sure if I should attach a link for the sake of protocol or practicality, but I just read a recent Russian interview with Osipova that suggested O'Hare is intending to bring back the likes of Dante's Inferno and Swan Lake next season since the audience/dancers/artists involved missed out on them. She also talks about her life post-quarantine if that interests anybody, and how all of the rest of the company are coping with company-led classes they do in the morning together spearheaded by instructors like Brian. 

Edit: I'll just go ahead and attach the link: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4316257

Thank you - she always comes across so well in interviews.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

I’m possibly just being completely dumb here but how do I switch it from Russian to English or do i just have to copy into translate? 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SugarPlum2000 said:

I’m possibly just being completely dumb here but how do I switch it from Russian to English or do i just have to copy into translate? 🤦🏼‍♀️

Not dumb at all! Normally, when I click on non-English interviews, I immediately get a notification from Google translate on the top right of my phone/laptop screen that asks me if I want to translate it into English. Sometimes, it doesn't pop up so I have to click out and re-enter the page until I get the notification. But I will say it is much easier to get the whole thing translated by Google translate on my laptop. Sometimes, it lags on my phone. 

Edited by HappyTurk

Noticed this on the SFB (San Francisco Ballet) website:

SAN FRANCISCO, April 2, 2020—San Francisco Ballet’s November 11–15 tour to the National Ballet of Canada (NBC) has been cancelled, announced earlier today by the NBC. The cancellations result from extraordinary challenges presented by COVID-19: “These unprecedented circumstances have required us to make changes to the 2020/21 season including the postponement of the company’s appearance at the Royal Opera House in London, the world premiere of Wayne McGregor’s MADDADDAM, the North American premiere of Cathy Marston’s Victoria and the guest appearance by San Francisco Ballet,” the NBC stated today in their press release.

Edited by Bruce Wall

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Noticed this on the SFB (San Francisco Ballet) website:

SAN FRANCISCO, April 2, 2020—San Francisco Ballet’s November 11–15 tour to the National Ballet of Canada (NBC) has been cancelled, announced earlier today by the NBC. The cancellations result from extraordinary challenges presented by COVID-19: “These unprecedented circumstances have required us to make changes to the 2020/21 season including the postponement of the company’s appearance at the Royal Opera House in London, the world premiere of Wayne McGregor’s MADDADDAM, the North American premiere of Cathy Marston’s Victoria and the guest appearance by San Francisco Ballet,” the NBC stated today in their press release.

They were supposed to be appearing at the ROH?  Have I missed something, or is that why you posted in the RB thread?

9 minutes ago, alison said:

They were supposed to be appearing at the ROH?  Have I missed something, or is that why you posted in the RB thread?

This I assume was meant for the ROH (Royal Opera House) 2020/21 announcement which we have not thus far had - unless I somehow missed it.  I'm looking forward to the announcement that bangorballetboy has kindly told us will be coming this week re: the ROH trajectory post 19th April.  Perhaps we will get some greater clarity on a number of issues by end tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.    

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, they were doing Sleeping Beauty at the ROH in July.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

If I read it correctly the bit about the ROH appearance is part of a statement from the National Ballet of Canada, though?

Yes, it is. But relevant to performances at the ROH later in the year which is I assume why Bruce posted it here.

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, it is. But relevant to performances at the ROH later in the year which is I assume why Bruce posted it here.

But I think there is some confusion here about whether it refers to NBC or SFB. Unless I’ve missed the point!

ETA: I think the NBC cancellation had already been noted on these forums.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

But I think there is some confusion here about whether it refers to NBC or SFB. Unless I’ve missed the point!

ETA: I think the NBC cancellation had already been noted on these forums.

I see what you mean! I think it is NBC saying its tour to London is cancelled and I had assumed the reference to SFB was a visit SFB was doing @ NBC (though maybe not).

(And yes, I realise that the NBC cancellation had already been noted on another thread.)

Guest oncnp

Going to the website just now the page header about performances being canceled until April 16 is no longer appearing. Perhaps they are updating?

46 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I see what you mean! I think it is NBC saying its tour to London is cancelled and I had assumed the reference to SFB was a visit SFB was doing @ NBC (though maybe not).

(And yes, I realise that the NBC cancellation had already been noted on another thread.)

It was, as I think I said, from the SFB (San Francisco Ballet) website.  It notes several things including the SFB's cancellation of an appearance in Canada in November AND postponement of the ROH (Royal Opera House) appearance at an unspecified 20/21 time.  Sorry if what they wrote was not clear. 

Perhaps it was my fault for not including the SFB link which you will find here.    

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Going to the website just now the page header about performances being canceled until April 16 is no longer appearing. Perhaps they are updating?

Bit weird, they reinstated info about productions and dates sometime last week after removing virtually everything. I don't see anything going ahead for the rest of the season though