• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alison, dying to find out.  Not having much family,  I stayed in a little hotel in London and had me a Christmas ballet fest instead. 

I saw the RB's Sleeping Beauty (glorious dancing in a rather silly story and possibly twenty minutes too long?), then Copelia,  which was sparkling and so fresh (surely the RB are having a 'Golden Age')!  Wish I could say the same for the ENB, whose Nutcracker was the third ballet I saw. The dancers performed with great gusto,  but the production lacked sparkle,  and the ten year old Eagling production feels a bit stale now. 

Anyway,  despite the highs and the lows, it was a great way to spend a Christmas with no family available and I would love to do it again.next year,  so am already excited to.see what offerings there will be next year!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I'll wager Nutcracker will return to ROH, plus something else (Cinderella would be nice, if they can ever settle the staging disagreements) 

Is it common knowledge that there are staging disagreements over Cinderella? I would like Nutcracker to be rested yet another year. 

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

... perhaps something with Les Patineurs

Such as The Firebird and Pineapple Poll (make it a programme that children could enjoy) 

I absolutely adored Patineurs last year!  I don't mind Nutcracker being on everywhere for the children,  but it was so lovely, last year,  for the RB to cater adults as well,  those who might want something to watch during the two week break that Christmas has now become for many.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

I stayed in a hotel in Kings Cross, easy for Coventry Garden,  and was absolutely amazed at how many restaurants and cafes and little shops were open on Christmas Day. 

That sounds lovely. 

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to RB 2020/21
6 minutes ago, NinaNina said:

Hi would love RB to retire Nutcracker and replace it with a new production that fits a world class company and venue.... something to equal the new Swan Lake would be lovely.... surely it’s about time for a new Nut at ROH???

I hope not! I love the RB's Nutcracker. (And if a new production equalled the new Swan Lake, there's a danger that would mean some sort of dodgy ending...).

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I hope not! I love the RB's Nutcracker. (And if a new production equalled the new Swan Lake, there's a danger that would mean some sort of dodgy ending...).

I'm afraid I agree with NinaNina re RB Nutcracker (and I'd also retire ENB's while I was at it!).

Nutcracker will always sell out, no matter how bad it is.  Most people hated Christopher Hampson's production, but it still sold out every year.  This is because it's a family treat once a year, and those are people who, on the whole, aren't ballet freaks like us, so are happy just to see the dancing and enjoy the lovely music, and good on them.  For those of us who go more than once or twice a year,  we are much more fussy! 

• Like 3

Happy New year everyone! Let's hope it's a great ballet one! For me it gets off to what will hopefully be the best possible start with two performances of Coppelia on January 4th followed by the Onegin casting I've been waiting for for five years in Muntagirov and Osipova. Despite living 200 miles from London I've booked for all three performances and a couple of the Bonelli/Naghdi ones as well. They all (including the Coppelia ones) have the potential to get my new year off to the best balletic start ever. 

However at this time of year my thoughts always go forward to what will be in the programme for the next balletic year of 2020 /21. I know it will almost certainly have already been decided but you never know, there may be a mixed bill that still needs finalising or if enough people respond we may suggest something that will appear or be revived in future seasons. I concentrate mainly on the Royal Ballet as that is the company I mainly attend but of course suggestions for other companies will be great too. 

So for 2020 /21 I would like to see more Frederick Ashton who has been very underrepresented this season. Sylvia would be a great start, especially for the cinema broadcast as it was very disappointing it wasn’t filmed last time (especially with Nunez /Muntagirov). 

Month in the country would be great to see again and if that could be broadcast as part of a mixed bill that would be great too. Failing this I'd love to see any Ashton mixed bill. 

Another gala would be great as the Fonteyn one was one of my favourite performances of the year. If it became an annual event it could be used for fundraising too. It doesn't have to be specific to Fonteyn. It could have a different theme every year and if it was filmed it would be great publicity for the range of styles and dancers at the RB. 

Have to go and walk the dog now so may add a few things later but this is my start to the next balletic year discussion. 

• Like 5

Thanks @jmhopton for your suggestions! As you say O'Hare has already sorted it all but in case he comes on here looking for last minute suggestions/changes:

- Giselle - the casting for this would be sumptuous, I would want to see almost all the principals in this! 

- More Ashton - agree that it would be nice for Sylvia to return. I would love to see a Cinderella revival or re-working (but keeping a fair chunk of original Ashton choreography) and wouldn't pass up La Fille either. A mixed bill including Symphonic Variations/Daphnis and Chloe/Rhapsody would be lovely. 

- Woolf Works please, seems a shame it has only been revived once I believe? 

- Jewels and or more Balanchine in triple bills 

- Some more 'heritage' including Les Noces (fear this will be lost otherwise) 

- I think the Linbury gives opportunity for things like the Merce Cunningham Centennial to be done well (perhaps giving an opportunity for dancers to experiment with choreographing too?), it's a shame that had so few performances and it was difficult to get tickets, so more like that, and or as suggested another gala evening could be fantastic.

- And finally, I know it's probably too soon for Bayadere to come back but I just wanted to mention it as something that shouldn't be forgotten for so long again, so would love to see it in the 21/22 season, if not 20/21. 

I think I could do a year without a big three act MacMillan (presumably it would be Mayerling or Anastasia that would return if we did have one...or Prince of the Pagodas?). I would be more interested in some of his one acts being performed, Concerto was wonderful. 

I imagine we are almost guaranteed Liam Scarlett's new work (which was due this year but has been pushed back) but I wouldn't mind giving new commissions a rest if it means I can get the 'heritage' wishlist above. Also it looks likely the Nutcracker will be back next year as one of the Tchaikovsky 'big three' as we've had Sleeping Beauty/Swan Lake this year - though I wouldn't mind being proved wrong! (Especially if it means we get a Cinderella revival/new work...) 

For ENB I would like to see them bring back Skeaping's Giselle as I've not yet seen that, and for them to continue working with new interesting choreographers and showcasing things that we don't see at ROH (e.g. Forsythe etc). I'll also be interested to see what Acosta does at BRB, his triple bill showing at Sadler's Wells in the Summer looks very promising.  

Sorry bit of a long list, can't have it all but I think O'Hare has programmed a well rounded 19/20 season (albeit light on the Ashton) so I am hopeful to see what next year holds! Also it may be interesting to re-read this interview with O'Hare - https://bachtrack.com/interview-kevin-o-hare-royal-ballet-cellist-inferno-sambe-hallberg-october-2019 - where he notes: "The 20/21 season will start with more of the contemporary rep, with more revival rep in the second half of that season. So it’s unusual that it’s a bit more separated than before, but yes, we have to do those classic ballets." Considering the year is top heavy in that the Autumn/Winter seasons have always had more programmes in, I hope this doesn't mean the revival/heritage is slightly underlooked.

Edited by JNC
  • Like 3

Agree with many of JNC's suggestions especially Giselle with all those potentially wonderful debuts. La fille too has great potential for debuts. Aso a new Cinderella ( retaining much of the Ashton choreography) which would be great for Christmas. If it was combined with  another good traditional mixed bill that would be great too. I thought the double and triple bills programmed round Christmas for the last couple of years have been exemplary and a great tradition to keep going. Also I love the idea of keeping traditional and modern mixed bills more separate. I've gone to more mixed bills at the ROH in the last couple of years than in the ten years prior to that because there was always at least one ballet I didn't want to see at all and it's too expensive to pay for an overnight stay for part of a programme.

More heritage programmes whether on the main stage or Linbury would be wonderful, especially Macmillan, Ashton and Ballet Russes ballets that haven't been danced for ages and are in danger of becoming forgotten through neglect. As I've said before many times once the likes of Christopher Carr and even Kevin himself are no longer around who will be able to revive obscure Ashton, Macmillan and others? They need to be revived now then current dancers and potential ballet teachers can experience them for themselves. 

Finally, Onegin has been number one on my wishlist for far too long. My wait is nearly at an end but please Mr O'Hare don't let us all have to wait so long for its next revival. 

• Like 4

On 30/12/2019 at 17:28, Pas de Quatre said:

It is still in BRB's rep - perhaps they could lend someone to mount it!  

My all time favourite Captain Belaye, the Divine Mr Wicks, is doing lots of coaching with the Royal Ballet, not least with the apprentices.  I would have thought it might be an excellent work for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

(But I can't imagine why anyone should be wanting to jettison any of the Ashton choreography for Cinderella?!)

Oh no I don't at all - but if it's a choice between no Cinderella and a refreshed version (which I don't know why they would do as it would cost them more surely?) then a refresh would be preferable to it being lost perhaps...but it could be disastrous! Although perhaps costumes/sets could be refreshed but keep choreography the same - therefore allowing a 'new look' selling point but the same choreography? 

6 hours ago, alison said:

(But I can't imagine why anyone should be wanting to jettison any of the Ashton choreography for Cinderella?!)

I only mentioned it previously in my posting because I thought from what I've read previously that the 'new' Cinderella included some new choreography and wasn't solely just new sets and costumes. Perhaps I was wrong though I do think the pantomime characterisation of the two ugly sisters is a bit OTT and could do with toning down a bit. I see why Ashton did it like that as the roles were created for him and Helpman but to me it doesn't quite work today. I also thought the lack of a stepmother rather odd and I'm sure many children (who usually take their fairy stories literally) think it's a bit strange too. Having said that I do like Ashtons Cinderella and would love to see it back in the rep again. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The latest Friends email says:

"Meanwhile, we are currently finalising details for the 2020/2021 Royal Opera House Season. Once everything is confirmed, we will share full details with you in the early spring ahead of sending you your exclusive members’ Season Guide and Handbook, alongside your first magazine of the new Season, in mid-April."

So a bit earlier than last year.