Romeo & Juliet Filmed Production

Just received a tweet announcing a new filmed version of the the above starring Francesca and Bracewell as the lovers, supported by dancers from the RB. Being shown by Curzon chain on December 16th , I guess to tie up with release of Cats. Looks great, hope for DVD eventually.

If there was any doubt this will rocket Francesca’s career to greater heights.

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 11

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, alison said:

I certainly hope not: it was originally announced as being for BBC at Christmas.

At a running time of 90 minutes, it's clearly not the whole ballet, but I'll be interested to see what they've done with it.

Do the BBC still make programmes paid for by them, I don't think so, certainly not movies.

15 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Do the BBC still make programmes paid for by them, I don't think so, certainly not movies.

At the bottom of the film ‘poster’ it says BBC Two, so they must have contributed to it somehow. It also suggest it will be shown on TV at some point. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, alison said:

And at least this way we get to see Bracewell's Romeo (or at least much of it, I guess, given the length)

And Ball’s Tybalt, which I missed.

Why did I think this starred Naghdi and Ball in the title roles though, with Gary Avis too?  Did I dream it or was that cast mentioned here a while back? 

• Like 1

Looks amazing! 

Shame it’s only one night but hope it will be screened by BBC at Christmas as someone has said. 

I’m curious as to how this came about if anyone has the context? Did BBC approach RB for a filmed production and they said yes?

Also agree re Hayward’s wider exposure. Very pleased for her but hope this doesn’t mean a jump to an acting career and less performances of hers at ROH from a selfish perspective, although if that is what she wants to do by all means she has the talent and ability to succeed brilliantly and I would wish her the best. 

RB as a company looks great in the trailer and I hope this will get more people appreciating ballet! 

• Like 3

Looks fantastic - I wasn't aware at all about this, so was so surprised when I started getting posts about this afternoon on IG. Unfortunately I was supposed to be concentrating on my work rather than my phone !

The trailer goes some way to explain the reason for filming it in Budapest....it features the outoors not just a regular stage....at the time of it initially being announced I thought it was due to financial incentives 😂

I'm very pleased to see Ball, Sambe, Hay & Mock in the supporting young male roles. They were all my favourites/joint favourites in the respective roles out of the casts I saw last season & I was disappointed none of them were in the cinecast (well, not in those roles). In hindsight this is presumably because the ROH wanted different dancers in the cinecast to the film. I hope that they all still get a reasonable amount to do, as I'm guessing the film will probably keep R&J's scenes fairly intact & make most of the cuts from the crowd scenes (some parts of which admittedly probably won't be missed much!). I wonder if it's coincidence or a deliberate request from the BBC that the majority of the main cast are British dancers?

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

I am pleased to see William Bracewell as Romeo as he was of course out through injury during the run earlier in the year so missed his opportunity (and as I had booked to see him as Romeo in May!) 😊

• Like 1

Is it only being shown at Curzon cinemas? The nearest to me is Knutsford and that's an hours drive away not something I want to do late at night in December. I can't see it being shown either by Vue or Odeon cinemas anywhere which are our local cinemas. If it is being shown at such a few cinemas hopefully that means it will be on TV over Christmas which will be wonderful. Does this mean Francesca will be on at the cinema three times in December as I assume she'll be Clara in the Nutcracker repeat? This must surely be a world record for a ballet dancer. Also the Royal ballet will be on at the cinema two nights in a row with the repeat Nutcracker screening on the 17th December. 

I ran into Francesca's grandfather a few months back at one of her RB R&J performances, and he told me then that she was going to be in this film.  I'm glad I was right at the time in believing this information was not in the public domain and therefore I mustn't share it on here!

• Like 2

This venture has been surrounded with a kind of pseudo-secrecy with company members not allowed to talk about it. However, the RB took a select supporters' group to Budapest to watch the process and, since the company 'went missing' for a while before their tour to Madrid, quite a lot of the details leaked out.

But it's good news - and a lovely cast.

I'm so grateful for the alert on here to get some tickets for the 16th December cinema showing.

• Like 1

A lot of cinemas don't finalise their schedules that far ahead - sometimes even for the live relays.  Let's hope some more will be signing up in the not-too-distant future.

Rob, the Christmas RT comes out in the first few days of December normally, so you should be fine.

42 minutes ago, alison said:

A lot of cinemas don't finalise their schedules that far ahead - sometimes even for the live relays.  Let's hope some more will be signing up in the not-too-distant future.

Rob, the Christmas RT comes out in the first few days of December normally, so you should be fine.

Yes, that was the point I was making, if people are concerned about the limited number of cinemas there’s a way of knowing in advance of the screening that we can all just watch it on the telly 

That's helpful, thanks all. Fingers crossed for more showings announced later but otherwise will be good to know if it's going to be on TV shortly after. The Curzon showings apparently feature an exclusive (filmed) Q&A before the film. So maybe they're just a precursor to a wider distribution of the film.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

Most of the central London Curzon cinemas state Sold Out for R&J on Mon 16 th Dec , but still plenty at Wimbledon and Richmond 

Wow I’m surprised it’s sold so quickly! Pleasantly surprised on one hand, showing appetite and support for this sort of thing but personally disappointed as I hadn’t booked a ticket yet! 

Hopefully this will mean it gets more cinema screenings - I know Osipova’s documentary had a few more screenings added.