Romeo & Juliet Filmed Production

As Capybara said above, this was a “secret” that many of us have known about since summer 2018. I too am at a loss to understand why the film has been veiled in secrecy.  Maybe to give everyone a nice Christmas surprise!  

The Naghdi/Ball partnership was never scheduled to do the film.  

• Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why isn’t this part of the ROH nationwide /international cinema live screenings?  It would be a sellout .  No Curzon’s anywhere near me ... minimum 2 hours travel ... if they had any tickets left.   

Cinema screenings are so much more immersive and enjoyable as a night out than old fashioned TV broadcasts.  

• Like 3

In my excitement to see this I bought a ticket to the Richmond Curzon Cinema screening on 16th December (at 5.15 pm).  I went to put it in my diary and realised that I'm actually in Paris for work on that date.  

If anyone wants it (it's an e-ticket) I will happy sell it for £10 .. or even £5 .... (I paid £15).  Feel free to send me a PM.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

For those in London, Curzon Mayfair seem to have tickets available on the 16th at 6.15pm (not sure if they part of the original cinema list).

Curiously they are also showing a 6.15AM screening on the 16th, which may be a mistake...anyway I made sure to click the 6.15 PM one! 

On 21/09/2019 at 09:34, FionaE said:

Why oh why isn’t this part of the ROH nationwide /international cinema live screenings?  It would be a sellout .  No Curzon’s anywhere near me ... minimum 2 hours travel ... if they had any tickets left.   

Cinema screenings are so much more immersive and enjoyable as a night out than old fashioned TV broadcasts.  

I agree with Fiona, they should make it available in a much wider range of cinemas - we don't all live near London.  I would love to see it at the cinema near me which shows all the Live screenings from ROH.

• Like 1

Not sure if I’ve missed anything already but I’m almost certain the film will be televised at Christmas - I asked on Twitter if the Royal Opera House might be able to give confirmation.  Will be interesting to see if the Royal Opera House is any more willing to respond to Twitter than on its News pages which are now so sadly neglected.

• Like 2

Extract from an email sent last year from "Development and Enterprises" at the ROH:

" We are delighted to announce that early in July the Company will be making a very special journey to Budapest to film our production of Kenneth MacMillan’s beautiful Romeo and Juliet for broadcast by the BBC. …………………. The film, which is scheduled for broadcast by the BBC on Christmas Day 2019, is a collaboration between The Royal Ballet and BalletBoyz that will bring this true classic of 20th-century ballet to a huge audience of new ballet fans and life-long balletomanes alike"

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Extract from an email sent last year from "Development and Enterprises" at the ROH:

" We are delighted to announce that early in July the Company will be making a very special journey to Budapest to film our production of Kenneth MacMillan’s beautiful Romeo and Juliet for broadcast by the BBC. …………………. The film, which is scheduled for broadcast by the BBC on Christmas Day 2019, is a collaboration between The Royal Ballet and BalletBoyz that will bring this true classic of 20th-century ballet to a huge audience of new ballet fans and life-long balletomanes alike"

Delighted with the confirmation of a Christmas day broadcast. However, I don't know if a tv broadcast in itself will generate a 'huge new audience'. I would have thought those disinclined to watch ballet won't bother with it unless it has well targeted advance publicity showing it is somehow 'different' to a traditional ballet. Surely showing it in a variety of mainstream cinema outlets like Cats would generate a wider audience and interest in ballet.

On 21/09/2019 at 14:12, JNC said:

For those in London, Curzon Mayfair seem to have tickets available on the 16th at 6.15pm (not sure if they part of the original cinema list).

Curiously they are also showing a 6.15AM screening on the 16th, which may be a mistake...anyway I made sure to click the 6.15 PM one! 

I originally booked online for the Curzon Mayfair which was using their small theatre. Then received an email with seat re-allocated as, they said, due to high demand, surprise surprise, they were transfering  the screening to their larger theatre. Hence more tickets becoming available.

For those elsewhere it might be worthwhile to check other Curzons.

• Like 1

Many thanks Bluebird - I was sure the R&J film was to be broadcast but couldn’t find a recognised source and was a bit thrown by some comments in he thread which seemed to raise doubts about the broadcast.  I’m sure it will be a Christmas broadcasting highlight.

• Like 1

Whilst I am pleased this will be broadcast on BBC, the ROH are behind the times in my opinion on this.  TV screenings are ok, but .....

(1) I’m busy with family on Christmas Day. Hopefully it’ll be available ‘on demand’

(2) cinema screenings are far more enjoyable - being both a ‘night out’ and a ‘Big Screen experience’

(3) how is the film going to get international exposure?  

IMO it should be added to the ROH nationwide & international cinema relays.  

They have SERIOUSLY underestimated the interest.  

Edited by FionaE
Edit
  • Like 1

Swan Lake was available on demand, so presumably this will be as well.

It is regarded as very high-profile to put any broadcast on on Christmas Day, so I'm not sure we should complain about that - especially if it's going to be on BBC2.  I think Swan Lake was on BBC4?  And I'd think most people would probably have some sort of recording and/or on-demand option available these days?

Does the ROH necessarily want international exposure?  I have no idea, although my initial impression was that the recording was more for the domestic market, I must admit.

• Like 3

I beg to differ, I think having RJ on TV when many families will be together may well generate more interest.  Cinema prices, the travel involved, plus car parking prices may put off some people.  How many people, actually watch anything on TV at the time it is broadcast though.  Most people I know record practically everything and watch at the time most convenient for them.  

• Like 7

Even if this was being shown at a cinema in every town in the UK, the fact that the screenings are all on a single evening - on which I for one am not available - will mean that the BBC broadcast (and its subsequent availability on demand) will inevitably reach a far wider audience.

• Like 3

I wrote to  Nike van Schie about this film and have had the reply below.  

We are aiming to give the film a wider theatrical release, so please keep an eye on our website and social media for any updates. 

Thank you again for your interest in this film and we hope you enjoy it when you get to see it. 

All best wishes,
Nike 

Nike van Schie

Edited by alison
To remove personal details
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Margaret said:

I wrote to  Nike van Schie about this film and have had the reply below.  

We are aiming to give the film a wider theatrical release, so please keep an eye on our website and social media for any updates. 

Thank you again for your interest in this film and we hope you enjoy it when you get to see it. 

All best wishes,
Nike 

Nike van Schie

Good news

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this because it was previewed in the RB segment of World Ballet Day yesterday.

As stated up-thread, there is a limited showing in some Curzon cinemas, mostly on 16 December but a few (Oxford and some London Curzons) have a second date (either 18, 22 or 23 December).

https://www.curzoncinemas.com/victoria/film-info/romeo-and-juliet-beyond-words

PLUS (drum roll please)...

There will be a showing at Sadlers Well on 9 December (with a post-show talk with Michael Nunn and William Trevitt, leading cast members and creatives).   Priority booking opens on 28/29/30 October (depending on your membership level) and public booking opens on 1 November.

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2019/romeo-and-juliet-beyond-words/

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, CatherineTheMediocre said:

As stated up-thread, there is a limited showing in some Curzon cinemas, mostly on 16 December but a few (Oxford and some London Curzons) have a second date (either 18, 22 or 23 December).

Thanks for the info about the additional dates - looks like it should be possible for me to see this after all, and at the cinema nearest to my office too...

• Like 1

Great news about the extra screenings but now I’m wishing I almost hadn’t booked mine already so I could go to the sadlers Wells one to hear the talk...

As it stands I can’t really justify going twice so I’ll just have to wait till the 16th! 

44 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm still hoping it's going to be on TV over Christmas so I haven't booked it at all! 

I'm hoping the same. While I'm happy to go down to London to see live performances, going down to London to the cinema seems a bit much. I can't do the "value added" Sadler's Wells screening either as I'm already theatregoing that evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I'm still hoping it's going to be on TV over Christmas so I haven't booked it at all! 

Didn’t the BBC part fund it or something? 

If they did it’s pretty much guaranteed to be on i reckon. I hope to see it on TV too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JNC said:

Didn’t the BBC part fund it or something? 

If they did it’s pretty much guaranteed to be on i reckon. I hope to see it on TV too!

The few minutes about it during the RB's World Ballet Day stream yesterday definitely mentioned BBC Two as one of the producers.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading an article about the premiere of the movie in San Francisco and after the screening they had a Q&A with the director Michael Nunn where he said that “he and Trevitt envisaged shooting other ballets in this style. The idea, he explained, is to have a MacMillan Trilogy, with Manon and Mayerling as candidates for next instalments. Both seem perfect choices. Let’s hope Ed Watson is still around and dancing Prince Rudolph then.”

Here is to hoping.

link of the article for anyone interested in reading the whole piece: http://www.theballetbag.com/2019/11/15/week-of-dance-movies-in-san-francisco/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ingrid said:

I was reading an article about the premiere of the movie in San Francisco and after the screening they had a Q&A with the director Michael Nunn where he said that “he and Trevitt envisaged shooting other ballets in this style. The idea, he explained, is to have a MacMillan Trilogy, with Manon and Mayerling as candidates for next instalments. Both seem perfect choices. Let’s hope Ed Watson is still around and dancing Prince Rudolph then.”

My money would be on Matthew Ball for Rudolf!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, capybara said:

My money would be on Matthew Ball for Rudolf!

I agree Matthew would be the best of the current RB principals.  

The best ever Rudolph (with apologies to David Wall) however is Sergei Polunin....  though it seems a stretch to imagine him dancing it with the RB.  But you never know!